Terrance J Wade
Affiliation: Brock University
- Adverse childhood experiences and the cardiovascular health of children: a cross-sectional studyChelsea Pretty
Department of Community Health Sciences, Brock University, St Catharines ON, Canada
BMC Pediatr 13:208. 2013..Therefore, the present study examined the relationship between ACEs and early childhood risk factors for adult cardiovascular disease...
- Access and utilization patterns of school-based health centers at urban and rural elementary and middle schoolsTerrance J Wade
Department of Community Health Sciences, Brock University, St Catharines, ON, Canada
Public Health Rep 123:739-50. 2008..We examined patterns of enrollment, use, and frequency of use in school-based health centers (SBHCs), as well as the referral, diagnosis, and disposition of SBHC visits among newly implemented SBHCs...
- Linking improvements in health-related quality of life to reductions in Medicaid costs among students who use school-based health centersTerrance J Wade
Department of Community Health Sciences, Brock University, 500 Glenridge Ave, St Catharines, Ontario, Canada, L2S 3A1
Am J Public Health 100:1611-6. 2010..We examined whether improvements in pediatric health-related quality of life (HRQOL) stemming from use of school-based health centers (SBHCs) resulted in lower Medicaid costs...
- Prevalence of psychiatric disorder in lone fathers and mothers: examining the intersection of gender and family structure on mental healthTerrance J Wade
Department of Community Health Sciences, Brock University, St Catherines, Ontario, Canada
Can J Psychiatry 56:567-73. 2011..In this analysis, we disaggregate the unique and combined effects of gender and family structure on the mental health of fathers and mothers...
- Improvements in health-related quality of life among school-based health center users in elementary and middle schoolTerrance J Wade
Department of Community Health Sciences and Child and Youth Studies, Brock University, St Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Ambul Pediatr 8:241-9. 2008..To examine the role of school-based health centers (SBHCs) on changes in student health-related quality of life (HRQOL) over a 3-year period among elementary and middle school students...
- Early age of first sexual intercourse and depressive symptomatology among adolescentsLuanne K Jamieson
Department of Community Health Sciences, Brock University, St Catharines, Ontario L2S 3A1, Canada
J Sex Res 48:450-60. 2011..Furthermore, the reverse relationship was not found to be significant in this study-that is, higher levels of previous depressive symptomatology did not predict an earlier age of first sexual intercourse in adolescents...
- Marital transitions and mental healthTerrance J Wade
Department of Community Health Sciences, Brock University, St Catharines, Ontario, Canada
J Health Soc Behav 45:155-70. 2004..The processes both preceding and after the transition to widowhood differ, with increased prevalence of disorder centering around the time surrounding the death itself..
- The association between baroreflex sensitivity and blood pressure in childrenLaura K Fitzgibbon
Department of Kinesiology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 37:301-7. 2012..As well, the LF/HF systolic BP variability ratio was higher in the HBP than in the NBP group (p = 0.03). Despite their young age, these children with high, yet not clinically hypertensive BP, display reduced autonomic regulation...
- Twelve-month psychiatric disorder among single and married mothers: the role of marital historyJohn Cairney
Health Systems Research and Consulting Unit, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Psychiatry 51:671-6. 2006..To examine differences between single and married mothers in the 12-month prevalence of psychiatric disorders...
- The effect of adiposity on the relationship between indicators of maturity in peri-pubertal childrenIzabella A Ludwa
Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, Brock University, Ontario, Canada
Ann Hum Biol 40:70-4. 2013..Although the relation between body fatness and maturation has been the subject of much research, somatic maturity as assessed by sex-specific regression equations, has yet to be investigated in a population of overweight and obese children...
- Alcohol consumption among Canadians taking benzodiazepines and related drugsScott Veldhuizen
Health Systems Research and Consulting Unit, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, ON, Canada
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 18:203-10. 2009..The combination of BZDs with alcohol increases risk for oversedation, abuse, dependence and accidents. This study examines drinking behaviour among Canadians taking BZDs...
- Comparison of anthropometry and parent-reported height and weight among nine year oldsAlayna Banach
Department of Community Health Sciences, Brock University, St Catharines, ON
Can J Public Health 98:251-3. 2007..measured BMI overweight and obesity prevalence estimates among 9 year olds using the 1996 NLSCY reports published by Willms et al. (2003) and anthropometric measurements from a regional population of public school children...
- When and for whom are relative age effects important? Evidence from a simple test of cardiorespiratory fitnessScott Veldhuizen
Social and Epidemiological Research Department, Centre for Addictions and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Department of Family Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Department of Health Sciences, Brock University, St Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Am J Hum Biol 26:476-80. 2014..This phenomenon is known as a relative age effect (RAE) and has been shown to be widespread in sport and education...
- Baroreflex sensitivity is associated with sleep-related breathing problems in adolescentsNicole S Coverdale
Department of Kinesiology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
J Pediatr 160:610-614.e2. 2012..To examine the relationship between sleep-related breathing problems (SRBPs) and baroreflex sensitivity (BRS) among adolescents and assesses whether body mass influences this relationship...
- The relation between common sleep problems and emotional and behavioral problems among 2- and 3-year-olds in the context of known risk factors for psychopathologyGraham J Reid
Department of Psychology, The University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada
J Sleep Res 18:49-59. 2009..Adverse parenting and PMK symptomatology, along with difficult temperament all contribute to both sleep problems and emotional and behavioral problems. Children's sleep problems appear to exacerbate emotional and behavioral problems...
- Concurrent validity of the Ages And Stages Questionnaires and Bayley Developmental Scales in a general population sampleScott Veldhuizen
Department of Family Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Health Services and Health Equity Research Department, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Electronic address
Acad Pediatr 15:231-7. 2015..We evaluated the agreement between the most popular such instrument, the Ages and Stages Questionnaires (ASQ) and the third edition of the Bayley Scales of Infant Development (BSID-III)...
- Exploring the social determinants of mental health service use using intersectionality theory and CART analysisJohn Cairney
Departments of Family Medicine, Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, and Kinesiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Epidemiol Community Health 68:145-50. 2014..In this paper, we examine predictors of subsequent service use among respondents to a population health survey who met criteria for a past-year mood, anxiety or substance-related disorder...
- Linking systemic arterial stiffness among adolescents to adverse childhood experiencesStephen A Klassen
Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, Brock University, Canada
Child Abuse Negl 56:1-10. 2016..Addressing stress and trauma exposure in childhood is an important target for public health interventions to reduce early cardiovascular risk. ..
- Misclassification due to age grouping in measures of child developmentScott Veldhuizen
Centre for Addictions and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Department of Family Medicine and Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Department of Community Health Sciences, Brock University, St Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Arch Dis Child 100:220-4. 2015..In this report, we estimate the resulting error rate for one example: the cognitive subscale of the Bayley Scales of Infant and Toddler Development (BSID-III)...
- Corrected and uncorrected hearing impairment in older CanadiansLaurie M Corna
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Gerontology 55:468-76. 2009..Hearing impairment (HI) is a common chronic condition in later life, but one that can often be improved with the use of a hearing aid. However, a distinction is not often made between corrected and uncorrected HI in the literature...
- Sport participation and its association with social and psychological factors known to predict substance use and abuse among youth: A scoping review of the literatureHeather J Clark
Department of Psychology, Carleton University, Ottawa, ON, Canada Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Int Rev Sport Exerc Psychol 8:224-250. 2015..This article suggests a number of directions for future research that might improve our understanding of how sport impacts psychological and social outcomes along with alcohol and illicit drug use...
- Health-related quality of life in urban elementary schoolchildrenMona E Mansour
Division of General and Community Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Pediatrics 111:1372-81. 2003..Since schools are pivotal to children's intellectual, social, and emotional development, school connectedness may be a factor that contributes to their perception of HRQOL...
- Predictors of adolescent self-rated health. Analysis of the National Population Health SurveyEvelyn R Vingilis
Population and Community Health Unit, University of Western Ontario, 100 Collip Circle, Suite 245, London, ON N6G 4X8
Can J Public Health 93:193-7. 2002..To examine what factors predict adolescents' concepts of their health...
- Single parent mothers and mental health care service useJohn Cairney
Canadian Centre for Studies of Children at Risk, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neuroscience, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 37:236-42. 2002..This paper examines the use of mental health care services by single mothers and married mothers in Canada...
- Precursors, consequences and implications for stability and change in pre-adolescent antisocial behaviorsDavid J Pevalin
Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Colchester, UK
Prev Sci 4:123-36. 2003..The implications of these findings for prevention and intervention programs are discussed...
- Religion, spirituality, and depressive symptoms in patients with HIV/AIDSMichael S Yi
Division of General Internal Medicine, Section of Outcomes Research, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0535, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:S21-7. 2006..Depression has been linked to immune function and mortality in patients with chronic illnesses. Factors such as poorer spiritual well-being has been linked to increased risk for depression and other mood disorders in patients with HIV...
- Mental health problems in children and caregivers in the emergency department settingJacqueline Grupp-Phelan
Division of Emergency Medicine, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45213, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 28:16-21. 2007..As such, we set out to assess the frequency of mental health concerns and associated risk factors in children presenting for care in a pediatric ED...
- Emergence of gender differences in depression during adolescence: national panel results from three countriesTerrance J Wade
Institute for Health Policy and Health Services Research, Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, OH 45267, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 41:190-8. 2002..To address this, the authors present a cross-national examination of the emergence of the gender gap in depression during adolescence using national longitudinal panel data from Canada, Great Britain, and the United States...