- A closed-loop artificial pancreas based on risk management
Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
J Diabetes Sci Technol 5:368-79. 2011
..Both of these nonlinearities force a controller to be more conservative when uncertainties are high. We developed a novel extended model predictive controller (EMPC) that explicitly addresses these two challenges...
- Preventing hypoglycemia using predictive alarm algorithms and insulin pump suspension
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305 5208, USA
Diabetes Technol Ther 11:93-7. 2009
..The goal of this pilot study was to assess the feasibility using a real-time CGM to discontinue insulin pump therapy when hypoglycemia was predicted...
- Prevention of nocturnal hypoglycemia using predictive alarm algorithms and insulin pump suspension
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
Diabetes Care 33:1013-7. 2010
..The aim of this study was to develop a partial closed-loop system to safely prevent nocturnal hypoglycemia by suspending insulin delivery when hypoglycemia is predicted in type 1 diabetes...
- Outpatient safety assessment of an in-home predictive low-glucose suspend system with type 1 diabetes subjects at elevated risk of nocturnal hypoglycemia
Bruce A Buckingham
Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
Diabetes Technol Ther 15:622-7. 2013
- Real-Time hypoglycemia prediction suite using continuous glucose monitoring: a safety net for the artificial pancreas
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, California, USA
Diabetes Care 33:1249-54. 2010
..This approach can provide a solution to the problem of nocturnal hypoglycemia, a major concern of patients with diabetes...
- Probabilistic evolving meal detection and estimation of meal total glucose appearance
Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Diabetes Sci Technol 3:1022-30. 2009
..Thus any estimation of meal start time, size, and shape is fundamentally uncertain. This uncertainty can be reduced, but not eliminated, by estimating total glucose appearance and using new readings as they become available...
- Predictive Low-Glucose Insulin Suspension Reduces Duration of Nocturnal Hypoglycemia in Children Without Increasing Ketosis
Bruce A Buckingham
Stanford University, Stanford, CA
Diabetes Care 38:1197-204. 2015
..We conducted an in-home randomized trial to assess the efficacy and safety of a continuous glucose monitor-based overnight predictive low-glucose suspend (PLGS) system...
- The impact of accelerometer use in exercise-associated hypoglycemia prevention in type 1 diabetes
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
J Diabetes Sci Technol 9:80-5. 2015
..A larger sample size may have achieved statistical significance. Further research involving an automated system, a larger sample size, and an algorithm design that favors longer periods of pump suspension is necessary. ..