- Of mice and men: innate immunity in pneumococcal pneumonia
Service of Internal Medicine, Infectious Disease Unit, Hospital Universitari Mutua de Terrassa, Plaza Dr Robert 5, 08221 Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Int J Antimicrob Agents 35:107-13. 2010
..Special emphasis has been placed on the description of the chronology of the complex network of innate immunity triggered by pneumococcal infection...
- Bacteraemic pneumococcal pneumonia in COPD patients: better outcomes than expected
Infection Control Department, Infectious Disease Unit, Service of Internal Medicine, Hospital Universitari Mutua de Terrassa, Plaza Dr Robert 5, 08221 Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 28:971-6. 2009
..After adjustment for the presence of shock there were no differences in mortality. BPP presents less frequently with shock and has a lower mortality rate in COPD patients than in non-COPD patients...
- Foodborne nosocomial outbreak of SHV1 and CTX-M-15-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae: epidemiology and control
Infectious Diseases Unit, Service of Internal Medicine, Hospital Universitari Mutua de Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 52:743-9. 2011
..We describe a foodborne nosocomial outbreak due to extended-spectrum β-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae...
- The impact of time on the systemic inflammatory response in pneumococcal pneumonia
Hospital Mutua de Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Respir J 35:614-8. 2010
- Risk factors for community-onset urinary tract infections due to Escherichia coli harbouring extended-spectrum beta-lactamases
Department of Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Mutua de Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 57:780-3. 2006
..The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence, types of ESBLs and risk factors for community-onset ESBL-producing E. coli in urinary tract infections (UTIs)...
- Systemic expression of cytokine production in patients with severe pneumococcal pneumonia: effects of treatment with a beta-lactam versus a fluoroquinolone
Service of Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases Unit corrected Hospital Mútua de Terrassa corrected Barcelona, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:2395-402. 2008
..Treatment with a beta-lactam agent or a fluoroquinolone has different effects on cytokine production and its systemic expression, impacting the clinical course of the disease...
- Invasive pneumococcal disease among children in a health district of Barcelona: early impact of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine
Service of Internal Medicine, Hospital Mutua de Terrassa, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:867-72. 2006
..A trend of increasing empyema was also apparent. A decrease in the prevalence of penicillin and macrolide resistance paralleled the progressive uptake of vaccine...
- Bacillus species pseudo-outbreak: construction works and collateral damage
Internal Medicine Department, Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Universitari Mutua Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain Universitat Internacional de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain Electronic address
J Hosp Infect . 2016
..In hospital settings, the lack of correctly implemented effective barriers during construction may place patients and healthcare providers at risk as well as lead to pseudo-outbreaks...
- Impact of a hand hygiene educational programme on hospital-acquired infections in medical wards
Infection Control Nurse, Hospital Universitari Mutua Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 18:1212-8. 2012
..A trend for lower incidence density of new hospital-acquired MRSA was detected in the POST intervention and follow-up periods...
- Aetiology of community-acquired pneumonia among adults in an H1N1 pandemic year: the role of respiratory viruses
Service of Internal Medicine, Hospital Universitari Mutua Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31:2765-72. 2012
..A viral infection was identified in more than one-third of patients with CAP. Clinical and laboratory features could help to differentiate between VP and BP and to guide empirical therapy...
- Effects of systemic steroids in patients with severe community-acquired pneumonia
Service of Infectious Diseases, pl 12, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, c Feixa Llarga s n, 08907 L Hospitalet del Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Respir J 30:951-6. 2007
..Severity of community-acquired pneumonia remains the most important risk factor associated with increased mortality...
- Bloodstream infections caused by Escherichia coli producing AmpC β-lactamases: epidemiology and clinical features
Infectious Disease Unit, Service of Internal Medicine, Hospital Universitari Mutua de Terrassa, Plaza Dr Robert 5, 08021, Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 35:1997-2003. 2016
..Bloodstream infections due to AmpC-Ec (mostly plasmid-mediated) are infrequent in our area. AmpC-Ec-BSI affects mainly patients with intrinsic risk factors and those with previous antibiotic exposure. A high proportion received IET...
- Healthcare-associated, community-acquired and hospital-acquired bacteraemic urinary tract infections in hospitalized patients: a prospective multicentre cohort study in the era of antimicrobial resistance
J P Horcajada
Hospital Universitari del Mar, Barcelona, Spain Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute IMIM, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 19:962-8. 2013
..Mortality was associated with patient condition, the severity of infection and hospital acquisition...
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital Mutua de Terrassa, Universidad de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Rev Esp Quimioter 17:15-25. 2004
- Application of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics to antimicrobial therapy of community-acquired respiratory tract infections
Department of Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Mutua de Terrassa, University of Barcelona, ES 08221 Barcelona, Spain
Respiration 72:561-71. 2005
..In this review, we offer an overview of the most important attributes of the main antimicrobials that are currently used in the treatment of community-acquired respiratory tract infections from a PK/PD perspective...
- Impact of amoxicillin, associated or not with clavulanic acid, on pharyngeal colonization and selection of Streptococcus pneumoniae resistance in children under 5 years of age
Alvaro Díaz Conradi
Department of Paediatrics, Hospital Mutua de Terrassa, University of Barcelona, Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Pediatr 166:467-71. 2007
..A downfall of NPC at the end of therapy was observed. NPC returned to baseline levels thanks to "de novo" colonization in half of the cases, a few weeks after...
- Daptomycin plus fosfomycin versus daptomycin monotherapy in treating MRSA: protocol of a multicentre, randomised, phase III trial
Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge IDIBELL, Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
BMJ Open 5:e006723. 2015
..The study aims to demonstrate that combination of daptomycin plus fosfomycin achieves higher clinical success rates in the treatment of MRSA bacteraemia than daptomycin alone...
- Lack of association between genotypes and haematogenous seeding infections in a large cohort of patients with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia from 21 Spanish hospitals
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 20:361-7. 2014
..Higher vancomycin MIC was not identified as an independent risk factor, either. In contrast, persistent bacteraemia (OR 4.2; 2.3-7.8) and non-nosocomial acquisition (3.0; 1.7-5.6) were associated with increased risk...
- Community-acquired pneumonia
Department of Medicine and Infectious Disease Unit, Hospital Mutua de Terrassa, University of Barcelona, 08221 Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Lancet 371:455-8. 2008
- Foreign-body osteoarticular infection by Brucella melitensis: A report of three cases
Services of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Hospital Mutua de Terrassa, University of Barcelona, Plaza Dr Robert, 5, 08221 Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:202-4. 2006
- [Hospital admission, duration of stay and mortality in community-acquired pneumonia in an acute care hospital. Correlation between a pneumonia prognosis index and conventional clinical criteria for assessing severity]
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital Mutua de Terrassa, Barcelona, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 22:64-9. 2004
..NEJM 1997). We also analyzed which factors were associated with the need for inpatient treatment in PPI risk category III patients...