- Endovascular management of acute blunt traumatic thoracic aortic injury: a single center experience
Clare L Bent
Department of Radiology, Barts and The London NHS Trust, London, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 46:920-7. 2007
..Endovascular stent-graft placement offers a safe, effective, and timely treatment option. The aim of this study was to assess our single center experience of endovascular repair following acute blunt traumatic aortic injury...
- Diagnosis and management of coagulopathy after major trauma
Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, Turner Street, London E1 2AD, UK
Br J Surg 96:963-4. 2009
..In it Karim Brohi, Professor of Trauma Sciences at Queen Mary University of London, deals with the important topic of the defects in blood coagulation that are often encountered after serious injury...
- Early release of high mobility group box nuclear protein 1 after severe trauma in humans: role of injury severity and tissue hypoperfusion
Mitchell J Cohen
The Department of Surgery, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Crit Care 13:R174. 2009
..However, whether HMGB1 is released early after trauma hemorrhage in humans and is associated with the development of an inflammatory response and coagulopathy is not known and therefore constitutes the aim of the present study...
- Wegener's granulomatosis presenting as an abdominal aortic aneurysm: a case report
Department of Vascular Surgery, The Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel Road, Whitechapel, London, E1 1BB, UK
Cases J 2:9346. 2009
..Aortic aneurysm is not common in young patient. When a young patient presents with abdominal aortic aneurysm, there may be an underlying cause...
- Evaluation of unstable cervical spine injury: a 6-year experience
Oxford Radcliffe Hospital, Oxfordshire, England
J Trauma 49:76-80. 2000
..The diagnosis of the unstable cervical spine, and its subsequent management can be difficult and a missed cervical spine injury can obviously have devastating consequences...
- Acute coagulopathy of trauma: mechanism, identification and effect
Department of Surgery, The Royal London Hospital, London, UK
Curr Opin Crit Care 13:680-5. 2007
..Developing early in the postinjury phase, it is associated with increased transfusion requirements and poor outcomes. This review examines the possible initiators, mechanism and clinical importance of acute coagulopathy...
- Acute traumatic coagulopathy
Trauma and Critical Care Unit, Royal London Hospital, United Kingdom
J Trauma 54:1127-30. 2003
..Traumatic coagulopathy is thought to be caused primarily by fluid administration and hypothermia...
- Acute traumatic coagulopathy: initiated by hypoperfusion: modulated through the protein C pathway?
Department of Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Ann Surg 245:812-8. 2007
..We hypothesized that early coagulopathy is due to tissue hypoperfusion, and investigated derangements in coagulation associated with this...
- Helical computed tomographic scanning for the evaluation of the cervical spine in the unconscious, intubated trauma patient
Department of Trauma Surgery, Royal London Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Trauma 58:897-901. 2005
..The potential of a missed unstable disc or ligamentous injury results in many patients remaining immobilized in critical care units for prolonged periods...
- The incidence and magnitude of fibrinolytic activation in trauma patients
Centre for Trauma Sciences, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of, London, UK
J Thromb Haemost 11:307-14. 2013
..5 million deaths annually from hemorrhage and coagulopathy. Overt hyperfibrinolysis is rare in trauma, and is associated with massive fatal injuries. Paradoxically, clinical trials suggest a much broader indication for antifibrinolytics...
- Can residents be effective trauma team leaders in a major trauma centre?
E M Cole
Trauma Outcomes Core, Centre for Neuroscience and Trauma Science, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, London, United Kingdom
Injury 44:18-22. 2013
..We aimed to identify the effect of seniority of leader on time-based performance measures and clinical outcomes...
- Fibrinogen levels during trauma hemorrhage, response to replacement therapy, and association with patient outcomes
Trauma Sciences, Blizard Institute, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, London, UK
J Thromb Haemost 10:1342-51. 2012
..Low fibrinogen levels are known to occur in trauma. However, the extent of fibrinogen depletion during trauma hemorrhage, the response to replacement therapy and association with patient outcomes remain unclear...
- Epidemiology and outcome of vascular trauma at a British Major Trauma Centre
Z B Perkins
Trauma Clinical and Academic Unit, The Royal London Hospital, London, UK
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 44:203-9. 2012
..In the United Kingdom, the epidemiology, management strategies and outcomes from vascular trauma are unknown. The aim of this study was to describe the vascular trauma experience of a British Trauma Centre...
- Definition and drivers of acute traumatic coagulopathy: clinical and experimental investigations
Trauma Clinical Academic Unit, The Royal London Hospital, Bart s and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University London, UK
J Thromb Haemost 8:1919-25. 2010
..Acute traumatic coagulopathy (ATC) is an impairment of hemostasis that occurs early after injury and is associated with a 4-fold higher mortality, increased transfusion requirements and organ failure...
- Early coagulopathy after traumatic brain injury: the role of hypoperfusion and the protein C pathway
Mitchell Jay Cohen
Departments of Surgery, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Trauma 63:1254-61; discussion 1261-2. 2007
..The objective of the present study was to determine the importance of hypoperfusion and protein C activation in causing early coagulopathy in TBI patients...
- Acute coagulopathy of trauma: hypoperfusion induces systemic anticoagulation and hyperfibrinolysis
Department of Surgery, The Royal London Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Trauma 64:1211-7; discussion 1217. 2008
..The coagulopathy has recently been associated with systemic activation of the protein C pathway. This study was designed to characterize the thrombotic, coagulant and fibrinolytic derangements of trauma-induced shock...
- Clinical and biomarker profile of trauma-induced secondary cardiac injury
H D De'Ath
Trauma Sciences, Blizard Institute, Queen Mary University of London, London, UK
Br J Surg 99:789-97. 2012
..The aim of this study was to establish the existence of trauma-induced secondary cardiac injury, and investigate its impact on outcomes in injured patients...
- The acute coagulopathy of trauma shock: clinical relevance
Trauma Clinical Academic Unit, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, UK
Surgeon 8:159-63. 2010
..Delineation of this entity, with directed management protocols should lead to a reduction in avoidable deaths from haemorrhage after trauma...
- Increase in activated protein C mediates acute traumatic coagulopathy in mice
Brian B Chesebro
The Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Shock 32:659-65. 2009
..In addition, the cytoprotective effect of protein C activation seems to be necessary for survival of the initial shock injury...
- Persistent lymphopenia is an independent predictor of mortality in critically ill emergency general surgical patients
P E Vulliamy
Department of General Surgery, Barts Health NHS Trust, London, UK
Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg 42:755-760. 2016
..This study was designed to establish whether lymphocyte count was associated with mortality in emergency general surgery (EGS) patients, and whether persistent lymphopenia was an independent predictor of mortality...
- Meta-analysis of prognostic factors for amputation following surgical repair of lower extremity vascular trauma
Z B Perkins
Centre for Trauma Sciences, Queen Mary, University of London, London, UK
Br J Surg 102:436-50. 2015
..The aim was to develop an understanding of prognostic factors for amputation following surgical repair of LEVT...
- Impact on outcome of a targeted performance improvement programme in haemodynamically unstable patients with a pelvic fracture
Z B Perkins
Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry Queen Mary, University of London, London, UK
Bone Joint J 96:1090-7. 2014
- Trauma alarmins as activators of damage-induced inflammation
Trauma Sciences, The Blizard Institute, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, 4 Newark Street, London E1 2AT, UK
Br J Surg 99:12-20. 2012
..This review summarizes current preclinical and clinical evidence for trauma alarmins and their role in innate immune activation...
- Reduction in critical mortality in urban mass casualty incidents: analysis of triage, surge, and resource use after the London bombings on July 7, 2005
Christopher J Aylwin
Department of Trauma Surgery, Royal London Hospital, London E1 1BB, UK
Lancet 368:2219-25. 2006
..The aim of this study was to analyse the prehospital and in-hospital response to the incident and identify system processes that optimise resource use and reduce critical mortality...
- Pre-hospital and in-hospital thoracostomy: indications and complications
Christopher J Aylwin
Trauma Service, Department of Surgery, Royal London Hospital, London, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 90:54-7. 2008
..We conducted a prospective cohort observational study of emergency pleural drainage procedures to validate the indications for pre-hospital thoracostomy and to identify complications from both pre- and in-hospital thoracostomies...
- Early release of soluble receptor for advanced glycation endproducts after severe trauma in humans
Mitchell J Cohen
Department of Surgery, Ward 3A, San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Avenue, Room 3C 38, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Trauma 68:1273-8. 2010
- Protein C depletion early after trauma increases the risk of ventilator-associated pneumonia
Mitchell J Cohen
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
J Trauma 67:1176-81. 2009
..Furthermore, trauma patients with tissue injury and shock are at higher risk for the development of VAP...
- Coagulopathy in trauma patients: importance of thrombocyte function?
Ross A Davenport
Queen Mary University of London, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry London, UK
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 22:261-6. 2009
..This review examines our current knowledge of platelet function in haemostasis, possible mechanisms for aberrant activity in trauma and the role of platelet transfusions in exsanguinating haemorrhage...
- A major trauma centre is a specialty hospital not a hospital of specialties
R A Davenport
Trauma Clinical Academic Unit, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, Royal London Hospital, London, UK
Br J Surg 97:109-17. 2010
..Institution of a specialist multidisciplinary trauma service and performance improvement programme was hypothesized to have resulted in improved outcomes for severely injured patients...
- Circulating mitochondrial DAMPs cause inflammatory responses to injury
Department of Surgery, Division of Trauma, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Nature 464:104-7. 2010
..These signal through innate immune pathways identical to those activated in sepsis to create a sepsis-like state. The release of such mitochondrial 'enemies within' by cellular injury is a key link between trauma, inflammation and SIRS...
- The coagulopathy of trauma: a review of mechanisms
John R Hess
Department of Pathology, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Trauma 65:748-54. 2008
..Coagulopathy associated with severe injury complicates the control of bleeding and is associated with increased morbidity and mortality in trauma patients. The causes and mechanisms are multiple and yet to be clearly defined...
- Traumatic coagulopathy: where are the good experimental models?
Michael J Parr
Intensive Care Unit, Liverpool Hospital, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Trauma 65:766-71. 2008
..This systematic review assessed the primary question "What are relevant experimental models with which to study early traumatic coagulopathy?" and secondary questions on mechanisms...
- Pancreatic and duodenal injuries: keep it simple
Matthew J F X Rickard
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Concord Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
ANZ J Surg 75:581-6. 2005
..The management of pancreatic and duodenal trauma has moved away from complex reconstructive procedures to simpler methods in keeping with the trend towards organ-specific, damage control surgery...
- Role of the alternative pathway in the early complement activation following major trauma
Michael T Ganter
Departments of Anesthesia, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California San Francisco, California 94110, USA
Shock 28:29-34. 2007
..Besides complement activation by the classical and/or lectin pathways, there is an independent association between thrombin generation and complement activation...
- Angiopoietin-2, marker and mediator of endothelial activation with prognostic significance early after trauma?
Michael T Ganter
Department of Anesthesia, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California San Francisco, California, USA
Ann Surg 247:320-6. 2008
..To measure plasma levels of angiopoietin-1 (Ang-1), angiopoietin-2 (Ang-2), and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) early after trauma and to determine their clinical significance...
- Advanced trauma life support, 8th edition, the evidence for change
John B Kortbeek
Foothills Medical Centre, Calgary, Alberta T2N 2T9, Canada
J Trauma 64:1638-50. 2008
..New materials related to principles of disaster management have been added. ATLS is a common language teaching one safe way of initial trauma assessment and management...