Affiliation: Universidade Federal da Bahia
- Anti-Golgi complex antibodies during pegylated-interferon therapy for hepatitis CRaymundo Parana
Gastro Hepatology Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University Hospital of Bahia, Bahia, Brazil
Liver Int 26:1148-54. 2006..Autoimmune phenomena have been reported with this treatment. In this paper, we describe cases of ALT/GGT flares during Peg-IFN plus ribavirin treatment, which related to the appearance of anti-Golgi antibody and disease progress...
- [Hepatitis E]Raymundo Parana
Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brasil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 35:247-53. 2002..Prevention is achieved by following the habitual hygienic and dietetic recommendations valid for diseases transmitted by contaminated water. There is no effective vaccine against the disease...
- Hepatotropic viruses in the Brazilian Amazon: a health threatRaymundo Parana
Gastro Hepatology Unit, University Hospital, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 12:253-6. 2008....
- Infection with hepatitis C virus among health care workers in the Brazilian Western Amazon region (Rio Branco, State of Acre)Raymundo Parana
Gastro Hepatology Unit, University Hospital of Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:165-9. 2007....
- HDV genotypes in the Western Brazilian Amazon region: A preliminary reportRaymundo Parana
Gonçalo Moniz Research Center, Salvador, Brazil INSERM Unit 271, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon 1, IFR 62, Lyon, France
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:475-9. 2006..Our preliminary results show that HDV genotypes I and III are present in Brazilian Amazonia and that HDV genotype III is not limited to the Amerindian population...
- Occult B infection in the Brazilian northeastern region: a preliminary reportDelvone Almeida
Medical School of Bahia, Post graduation course in Health and Medicine, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 12:310-2. 2008..Cases of occult hepatitis B infection were identified in this semiarid rural community of northeastern Brazil, where endemicity of HBV is moderate...
- Incidence of psychiatric side effects during pegylated interferon- alpha retreatment in nonresponder hepatitis C virus-infected patientsLucas C Quarantini
University Hospital, Federal University of Bahia School of Medicine, Salvador Bahia, Brazil
Liver Int 27:1098-102. 2007..Evaluate the incidence of mental disorders using pegylated interferon plus ribavirin retreatment in nonresponder hepatitis C virus-infected patients...
- Impact of psychiatric disorders on the quality of life of brazilian HCV-infected patientsSusana Batista-Neves
Hospital Universitario, Federal University of Bahia, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 13:40-3. 2009..The presence of a psychiatric comorbidity was the variable that was most associated with the different scores in the SF-36, compared to other variables such as age, gender, aminotransferase levels, and degree of fibrosis...
- Lack of association of indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase polymorphisms with interferon-alpha-related depression in hepatitis CAmanda Galvão-de Almeida
Department of Neurosciences and Mental Health, Medical School, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Bahia, Brazil
Brain Behav Immun 25:1491-7. 2011....
- Liver histological alterations in patients with chronic hepatitis C and normal ALT levels in the city of Salvador, Northeast-BrazilNelma Pereira de Santana
Gastro Hepatology Service Hospital Prof Edgard Santos, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 9:134-41. 2005..Patients with chronic hepatitis C can have variable clinical progression. Hepatic histological alterations appear to be milder in asymptomatic subjects who have persistently normal ALT levels...
- The effect of early virological response in health-related quality of life in HCV-infected patientsLucas C Quarantini
Hospital Universitario Professor Edgard Santos, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Bahia, Brazil
J Med Virol 80:419-23. 2008..019). Differences in other domains were not significant. The present study confirms that active viral infection is one possible reason for the poor Health-Related Quality of Life in this population...
- Prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection and HCV genotypes among hemophiliacs in the State of Bahia, Northeastern Brazil: analysis of serological and virological parametersLuciano Kalabric Silva
Laboratory of Pathology and Molecular Biology, Gonçalo Moniz Research Center, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 38:496-502. 2005..HCV genotype 1 (74%) was the most prevalent followed by genotype 3 (22%) and genotype 2 (4%). Our results indicate that HCV prevalence is still high among hemophiliacs, although HCV transmission was not observed in young hemophiliacs...
- Serological markers of hepatitis A, B and C viruses in rural communities of the semiarid Brazilian northeastDelvone Almeida
Faculty of Medicine of Bahia, Post graduation Program in Health and Medicine, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 10:317-21. 2006..The prevalence of C virus was very low, contrasting with the situation in large Brazilian urban centers...
- Is the interferon-α-triggered depressive episode a self-limited kind of depression? Four cases of persistent affective symptoms after antiviral treatment in HCV-infected individualsAmanda Galvão-de Almeida
Department of Neurosciences and Mental Health, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Teaching Hospital Psychiatry Service, Bahia, Brazil
World J Biol Psychiatry 11:914-8. 2010..To discuss relevant aspects in a series of cases in which interferon-α-triggered depressive symptoms persisted up to 4 years after therapy cessation in HCV-infected patients...
- [Sociodemographical aspects of seroprevalence of hepatitis A virus in the settlement of Cavunge, a semi-arid region of Bahia State]Delvone Almeida
Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, BA
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 39:76-8. 2006..The presence of IgG anti-HAV was analyzed in 891 citizens and 85.9% were positive. The prevalence was similar between genders and increased with age...
- Serum levels of Th17 associated cytokines in chronic hepatitis C virus infectionGabriel M Sousa
Programa de Pós Graduação em Imunologia, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Bahia, Brazil
Cytokine 60:138-42. 2012..5 pg/mL) than did patients with high HCV loads (16.7 pg/mL, p<0.05). These results suggest that in chronic hepatitis C infection, IL-17F and IL-8 could be associated with the control of liver injury and infection, respectively...
- Virological and histological re-evaluation of Labrea hepatitisRaymundo Parana
Gastro Hepatology Unit, Federal University of Bahia, Brazil
Acta Gastroenterol Latinoam 38:284-90. 2008..a peculiar form of fulminant hepatitis known as Labrea hepatitis, probably related to hepatitis B and D, has been reported in Brazilian Amazon as early as the 1930s...
- Epidemiological assessment of liver disease in northeastern Brazil by means of a standardized liver biopsy protocolLucas Lembrança
Scientific Initiation Program of the Hepatology Unit, University Hospital, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
Ann Hepatol 10:43-9. 2011..The main objective of this study was to describe the profile of patients who were benefitted in a collective effort to perform liver biopsies in Bahia, Brazil...
- High frequency of unrecognized mental disorders in HCV-infected patientsSusana Carolina Batista-Neves
University Hospital, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Bahia, Brazil
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 30:80-2. 2008..This study indexed the frequency of psychiatric disorders among hepatitis C virus (HCV)-infected patients...
- Psychosis during peginterferon-alpha 2a and ribavirin therapy: case reportLucas C Quarantini
Neuropsychiatry Department, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 10:406-7. 2006..We report a case of psychotic disorder that occurred during therapy with pegylated Interferon-alpha given associated with ribavirin. After good response to psychiatric treatment, it became possible to finish the anti-viral therapy...
- Autoimmunity in hepatitis C virus carriers: involvement of ferritin and prolactinGabriel M Sousa
Programa de Pós Graduação em Imunologia, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Bahia, Brazil
Autoimmun Rev 10:210-3. 2011..Ferritin and prolactin have been associated with active autoimmune diseases as systemic lupus erythematosus and autoantibody production, but have been little studied in viral infections that present autoimmunity...
- Very low prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection in rural communities of northeastern Brazil with a high prevalence of schistosomiasis mansoniJose Tavares-Neto
Faculty of Medicine of Bahia, Federal University of Bahia, R Marquês de Caravelas 262 101, 40140 210 Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 38:290-3. 2005..In conclusion, no association was observed between HCV and SM in the endemic area studied, especially among patients with the hepatosplenic form of the disease...
- The fatigue impact scale for daily use in patients with hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus chronic infectionsKarine Miranda-Pettersen
Programa de Pós Graduação em Medicina e Saúde, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Ann Hepatol 14:310-6. 2015..However, the absence of scales to measure fatigue, translated and validated for Brazilian Portuguese, prevents access to information essential in clarifying specific clinical conditions in this population...
- Detection of hepatitis C virus RNA in saliva is not related to oral health status or viral loadLiliane Lins
Laboratório de Patologia e Biologia Molecular, Centro de Pesquisas Goncalo Moniz, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
J Med Virol 77:216-20. 2005..These results suggest that HCV-RNA presence in saliva is independent of the viral load and the oral pathology of HCV positive individuals...
- Inflammation biomarkers in chronic hepatitis C: association with liver histopathology, HCV genotype and cryoglobulinemiaMaria Atta
Departamento de Analises Clinicas e Toxicologicas, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
Inflamm Res 61:1101-6. 2012..This work investigated the profile of inflammation biomarkers in patients with chronic hepatitis C and its association with liver fibrosis, hepatic necroinflammatory activity, viral genotypes and cryoglobulinemia...
- Serum cytokine profile in hepatitis C virus carriers presenting cryoglobulinaemia and non-organ-specific autoantibodiesAjax M Atta
Departamento de Analises Clinicas e Toxicologicas, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Rua Barao de Jeremoabo s n, 40170115 Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Microb Pathog 48:53-6. 2010..0001) and IFN-gamma (p=0.015), and IL-5 with IFN-gamma (p=0.015). We concluded that the serum profile of cytokines in HCV carriers presenting autoimmune markers may be mainly represented by increased IL-2, IL-5 and BAFF...
- A neuropsychological study comparing patients infected with HCV and HBV without psychiatric comorbiditiesLucas C Quarantini
University Hospital, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
J Med Virol 81:1184-8. 2009....
- Hepatitis C virus infection as a traumatic experienceMychelle Morais-de-Jesus
Programa de Pós Graduação em Medicina e Saúde, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brazil
PLoS ONE 9:e110529. 2014..Additionally, we investigated its association with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and the impact of PTSD diagnosis on health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in HCV infected subjects...
- Impact of sustained virologic response on quality of life in chronic HVC carriersRenato Daltro-Oliveira
Faculdade de Medicina da Bahia, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Ann Hepatol 12:399-407. 2013..Thus, we sought to review systematically the evidence in the literature and perform a meta-analysis of HRQOL changes caused by sustained virologic response (SVR)...
- Thyroid disorders in patients with chronic hepatitis C using interferon-alpha and ribavirin therapyLuis Jesuino de Oliveira Andrade
School of Medicine, Universidade Estadual de Santa Cruz, BA, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 15:377-81. 2011..To investigate the frequency of thyroid disorders (TD) in patients with chronic hepatitis C before and during interferon-alpha (IFN-α) and ribavirin (RIB) treatment...
- Thyroid dysfunction in hepatitis C individuals treated with interferon-alpha and ribavirin--a reviewLuis Jesuino de Oliveira Andrade
Post Graduate Course in Medicine and Health, Medicine School, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 12:144-8. 2008..This review includes a summary of thyroid disease associated with chronic HCV infection, interferon-alpha and ribavirin for treatment of HCV and potential to induce thyroid dysfunction...
- Effect of amantadine on depressive symptoms in chronic hepatitis C patients treated with pegylated interferon: a randomized, controlled pilot studyLucas C Quarantini
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Federal University of Bahia School of Medicine, Brazil
Clin Neuropharmacol 29:138-43. 2006..Assess the effect of amantadine on depressive symptoms during interferon alfa therapy for hepatitis C virus infection...
- Peripheral lymphocyte subsets in chronic hepatitis C: Effects of 12 weeks of antiviral treatment with interferon-alpha plus ribavirinIsabela S Oliveira
Programa de Pós Graduação em Imunologia, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Microb Pathog 91:155-60. 2016..An early virological response at 12-weeks of treatment with IFN-α plus ribavirin seems to be associated a significant improvement in the proportion of NK cells of HCV treated patients. ..
- Chronic hepatitis C and fibrosis: evidences for possible estrogen benefitsLiana Codes
Medicine School of Bahia, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 11:371-4. 2007..The aim of this paper was to describe data from literature concerning the interaction between chronic hepatitis C and estrogens, pregnancy, use of oral contraceptives, menopause and hormone reposition therapy...
- Clinical and histopathological features of NASH in workers exposed to chemicals with or without associated metabolic conditionsHelma P Cotrim
Faculdade de Medicina, Hospital Universitário Prof Edgar Santos, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
Liver Int 24:131-5. 2004..Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) has been associated with exposure to chemicals among workers from an industrial complex in Brazil. We investigated the NASH profile of these individuals associated or not with metabolic conditions...
- Apoptosis and progression of hepatic fibrosis in hepatitis C patientsMaria Isabel Schinoni
Edgard Santos University Hospital, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 10:117-21. 2006..We have made an overview of the various mechanisms by which the cell, more specifically the hepatic cell, is affected by apoptosis, and how it interacts with the hepatitis C virus and the immune system...
- Hepatoportal sclerosis related to the use of herbals and nutritional supplements. Causality or coincidence?Fernanda Ferreira Rios
Federal University of Bahia, School of Medical Sciences, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Ann Hepatol 15:932-938. 2016..It is important to consider whether the use of dietary supplements and herbs can trigger or contribute to the occurance of HPS. We report a possible association of HPS with the consumption of herbals and / or dietary supplements...
- HCV/HTLV coinfection: Does HTLV-1 interfere in the natural history of HCV-related diseases?Marcelo Costa Silva
Department of Hepatology, Federal University of Bahia, Bahia, Brazil
J Med Virol 88:1967-72. 2016..J. Med. Virol. 88:1967-1972, 2016. © 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Serum levels of immunoglobulin free light chains in patients with chronic hepatitis C presenting cryoglobulinemiaIsabela S Oliveira
Programa de Pós Graduação em Imunologia, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 18:638-42. 2014..We concluded that HCV-infected patients presenting cryoglobulinemia have vigorous polyclonal B-lymphocyte activation due to chronic HCV infection and persistent immune stimulation. ..
- Current aspects of antibiotic prophylaxis for upper gastrointestinal bleeding in cirrhosis patientsDelvone Almeida
CPgM Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 6:266-8. 2002..Nevertheless, antibiotic prophylaxis is not widely recommended for cirrhotic patients...
- [Type 1 reaction in leprosy: characteristics and association with hepatitis B and C viruses]Vitória P A Rego
Servico de Dermatologia, Hospital Universitário Prof Edgar Santos, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Rua João das Botas S N, Salvador, BA
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 40:546-9. 2007..026, Fisher's exact test). This suggests that these agents may have a role as risk factors for developing reversal reactions...
- SEQUENCE SIMILARITY BETWEEN THYROID SELF-PROTEIN AND HEPATITIS C VIRUS POLYPROTEIN: possible triggering mechanism of autoimmune thyroiditisMaristella de Araújo Carvalho Sousa
Programa de Pos Graduacao em Ciencias da Saude, Universidade Estadual de Santa Cruz, Ilheus, BA, Brasil
Arq Gastroenterol 53:185-91. 2016....
- Grading scale of visceral adipose tissue thickness and their relation to the nonalcoholic fatty liver diseaseLuis Jesuino de Oliveira Andrade
Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Estadual de Santa Cruz, Ilheus, BA, Brasil
Arq Gastroenterol 51:118-22. 2014..The mesenteric fat is drained by the portal system, being related to the metabolic syndrome which is an impor-tant risk factor for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)...
- Peripheral insulin resistance during treatment of chronic hepatitis C with peguilated interferon plus ribavirinVivianne Mello
Post Graduation Course in Medicine and Health, Federal University of Bahia, Bahia, Brazil
J Med Virol 78:1406-10. 2006..The objective of this study was to investigate the relationship between the use of peguilated interferon and the development of insulin resistance (IR) in these patients...
- Clinical, histologic and serologic evaluation of patients with acute non-A-E hepatitis in north-eastern Brazil: is it an infectious disease?Raymundo Parana
Gastro Hepatology Unit, University Hospital of Bahia, Bahia, Brazil, CPgMS UFBA, Bahia Salvador, Brazil
Int J Infect Dis 7:222-30. 2003..The course of the disease and the histologic patterns are similar to those recorded for known viruses. Continuous survey for the specific etiologic agents is needed...