Affiliation: Universidade Federal da Bahia
- Determinants of cognitive function in childhood: a cohort study in a middle income contextDarci N Santos
Department of Collective Health, Institute of Collective Health, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
BMC Public Health 8:202. 2008..This study aimed to examine the relative contributions of both proximal and distal risk factors on child cognitive development, by breaking down the possible causal pathways through which poverty affects cognition...
- Social inequality and alcohol consumption-abuse in Bahia, Brazil-- interactions of gender, ethnicity and social classNaomar Almeida-Filho
Instituto de Saude, Coletiva at the Federal University of Bahia, Bahia, Brazil
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 40:214-22. 2005..This paper reports findings on Alcohol Consumption-Abuse (ACAb) in Bahia, Brazil, a research setting characterized by racial/ethnic and socioeconomic diversity...
- Saramago's All the Names and the epidemiological dreamNaomar Almeida-Filho
Instituto De Saude Coletiva, Universidade Federal da Bahia, 40 110 170 Salvador Bahia, Brazil
J Epidemiol Community Health 58:743-6. 2004..Reading Saramago, the epidemiological virtualscape may be envisaged, more imaginary than it is usual to imagine and more real than it is usual to realise...
- Social inequality and depressive disorders in Bahia, Brazil: interactions of gender, ethnicity, and social classNaomar Almeida-Filho
Instituto de Saúde Coletiva at the Federal University of Bahia, Campus Canela, Salvador, Bahia 40210 070, Brazil
Soc Sci Med 59:1339-53. 2004....
- Alcohol drinking patterns by gender, ethnicity, and social class in Bahia, BrazilNaomar Almeida-Filho
Instituto De Saude Coletiva, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Rev Saude Publica 38:45-54. 2004..To study patterns of alcohol consumption and prevalence of high-risk drinking...
- Research on health inequalities in Latin America and the Caribbean: bibliometric analysis (1971-2000) and descriptive content analysis (1971-1995)Naomar Almeida-Filho
Instituto De Saude Coletiva, Federal University of Bahia, Bahia, Brazil
Am J Public Health 93:2037-43. 2003..We also found remarkable diversity in research designs, however, along with strong consideration of ecological and ethnographic methods absent in other research traditions...
- The value of public health research and the division between basic vs. applied scienceNamoar Almeida-Filho
Institute of Collective Health, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 7:82-90. 2003..Nevertheless, efforts should be directed to overcome this scientific division, in order to develop a pluralist and interdisciplinary national science, committed to the health care realities of our country...
- Co-occurrence patterns of anxiety, depression and alcohol use disordersNaomar Almeida-Filho
Palicio da Reitoria Universidade Federal da Bahia, Rua Augusto Vianna, 1 Campus Canela CEP 40210 070, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 257:423-31. 2007..8) and alcoholism (M:F ratio = 11.8). Set component analyses indicate strong overlapping of anxiety and depression and complementarity between depression and alcoholism, modulated by gender (women depressed, men alcoholic)...
- Mental disorders prevalence among female caregivers of children in a cohort study in Salvador, BrazilDarci Neves Santos
Institute of Collective Health, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 28:111-7. 2006..The caregiver-child relationship is important for child development. The prevalence of mental disorders was assessed in a female caregiver group and associated with socioenvironmental factors...
- Mental health research in Brazil: policies, infrastructure, financing and human resourcesJair de Jesus Mari
Departmento de Psiquiatria, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Saude Publica 40:161-9. 2006....
- Is psychiatric reform a strategy for reducing the mental health budget? The case of BrazilSergio Baxter Andreoli
Department of Psychiatry, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 29:43-6. 2007..To investigate trends in the provision of mental health services and financing in Brazil...