Neuza M Alcantara-Neves
Affiliation: Universidade Federal da Bahia
- Does IFN-γ play a role on the pathogenesis of non-atopic asthma in Latin America children?Camila Alexandrina Figueiredo
Instituto De Saude Coletiva, Universidade Federal de Bahia, Rua Basílio da Gama s n, Canela, 41110 040, Salvador Bahia, Brazil
Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol 8:18. 2012..Atopic asthma was associated with eosinophilia and non-atopic asthma was associated with IFN-γ and elevated monocytes in blood. IFN-γ and monocytes might play a role in immunopathology of non-atopic asthma in Latin American children...
- Parasite-derived trans-sialidase binds to heart tissue in Trypanosoma cruzi-infected animalsNeuza M Alcantara-Neves
Instituto de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Avenida Reitor Miguel Calmon, sem no, Canela, CEP, 40110 100 Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Microb Pathog 37:273-8. 2004....
- An improved method to obtain antigen-excreting Toxocara canis larvaeNeuza Maria Alcântara-Neves
Instituto de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Avenida Reitor Miguel Calmon, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Exp Parasitol 119:349-51. 2008....
- Poverty, dirt, infections and non-atopic wheezing in children from a Brazilian urban centerMauricio L Barreto
Instituto De Saude Coletiva, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
Respir Res 11:167. 2010..Risk factors for atopic and non-atopic asthma may be different. This study aimed to analyze the associations between markers of poverty, dirt and infections and wheezing in atopic and non-atopic children...
- The presence of serum anti-Ascaris lumbricoides IgE antibodies and of Trichuris trichiura infection are risk factors for wheezing and/or atopy in preschool-aged Brazilian childrenNeuza M Alcantara-Neves
Departmento de Ciências da Biointeração, Instituto de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
Respir Res 11:114. 2010..In developing countries, intestinal helminthic infections have also been associated with allergy or atopy-related disorders...
- Chronic virus infections supress atopy but not asthma in a set of children from a large Latin American city: a cross-section studyRafael V Veiga
Social Change, Asthma and Allergy in Latin America Research Program
BMC Pulm Med 11:24. 2011..In this work we investigated the association between exposure to viral infections in children living in urban Brazil and the prevalence of atopy and asthma...
- Risk factors and immunological pathways for asthma and other allergic diseases in children: background and methodology of a longitudinal study in a large urban center in Northeastern Brazil (Salvador-SCAALA study)Mauricio L Barreto
Instituto De Saude Coletiva, Universiade Federal de Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
BMC Pulm Med 6:15. 2006....
- Risk factors for asthma and allergy associated with urban migration: background and methodology of a cross-sectional study in Afro-Ecuadorian school children in Northeastern Ecuador (Esmeraldas-SCAALA Study)Philip J Cooper
Instituto de Microbiologia, Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Quito, Ecuador
BMC Pulm Med 6:24. 2006..Understanding better why the prevalence of asthma is greater in urban migrant populations and the role of risk factors such as life style and environmental exposures, may be key to understand what is behind this trend...
- Environmental conditions, immunologic phenotypes, atopy, and asthma: new evidence of how the hygiene hypothesis operates in Latin AmericaCamila Alexandrina Figueiredo
Instituto de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Federal de Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
J Allergy Clin Immunol 131:1064-8, 1068.e1. 2013..The mechanisms by which the hygiene operates are not well established but are underpinned by two apparently incompatible immunologic paradigms, the balance of TH1 versus TH2 cytokines and IL-10-mediated regulation of TH2 cytokines...
- Weight gain in the first two years of life, asthma and atopy: the SCAALA cohort studySheila M A Matos
1Institute of Collective Health, Federal University of Bahia, Rua Basílio da Gama s n, Campus Universitário do Canela, 5 andar, 40110 040 Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Public Health Nutr 17:2537-45. 2014..To evaluate the association between weight gain in the first two years of life and the occurrence of wheezing, asthma, serum IgE, skin reactivity and pulmonary function...
- Sub-clinical infection as an effective protocol for obtaining anti-Leishmania chagasi amastigote antibodies of different animal speciesAdriana M Fróes
Instituto de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Avenida Reitor Miguel Calmon, S N, Canela, 40 110 100 Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 99:135-41. 2004..Furthermore, this immunization protocol was comparable to the amastigote lysate immunization protocol for the obtaining of mouse monoclonal antibodies (mAbs)...
- Seroprevalence and risk factors for Toxocara infection in children from an urban large setting in Northeast BrazilLívia R Mendonça
Instituto de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Av Reitor Miguel Calmon, S N Canela, Salvador, Bahia, CEP 40110 902, Brazil Electronic address
Acta Trop 128:90-5. 2013....
- Impact of a citywide sanitation program in Northeast Brazil on intestinal parasites infection in young childrenMauricio L Barreto
Instituto De Saude Coletiva, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
Environ Health Perspect 118:1637-42. 2010..Residents of Salvador, in Northeast Brazil, have had a high prevalence of intestinal parasites. A citywide sanitation intervention started in 1996 aimed to raise the level of sewer coverage from 26% to 80% of households...
- Overweight, asthma symptoms, atopy and pulmonary function in children of 4-12 years of age: findings from the SCAALA cohort in Salvador, Bahia, BrazilSheila M A Matos
Instituto De Saude Coletiva, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Rua Basílio da Gama, S N, Campus Universitário do Canela, 5 andar, 40110 040 Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Public Health Nutr 14:1270-8. 2011..To evaluate the association between overweight and the occurrence of asthma and atopy in a cohort of children of 4-12 years of age living in the city of Salvador in 2005...
- Evidence for a modulatory effect of IL-10 on both Th1 and Th2 cytokine production: the role of the environmentCamila A Figueiredo
Instituto de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Clin Immunol 139:57-64. 2011..These results provide a possible biologic explanation for the temporal trends of increasing risk of inflammatory diseases observed in populations living in affluent countries...
- De novo assembly and characterization of the Trichuris trichiura adult worm transcriptome using Ion Torrent sequencingLeonardo N Santos
Institute of Health Sciences, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Acta Trop 159:132-41. 2016..trichiura adult worm. Besides, orthologs of proteins demonstrated to have potent immunomodulatory properties in related parasitic helminths were also predicted from the T. trichiura de novo assembled transcriptome. ..
- Differences in the detection of Cryptosporidium and Isospora (Cystoisospora) oocysts according to the fecal concentration or staining method used in a clinical laboratoryFlávia T F Pacheco
Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil, 40170 115
J Parasitol 99:1002-8. 2013..belli. This study suggests a great variability in oocyst power detection by routine parasitological methods, and that the most frequent intestinal coccidians in humans have specific requirements for concentration and staining...
- A study on the immunological basis of the dissociation between type I-hypersensitivity skin reactions to Blomia tropicalis antigens and serum anti-B. tropicalis IgE antibodiesJoão Cm Ponte
Departamento de Biointeração, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Av, Reitor Miguel Calmon, sem no, Canela, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
BMC Immunol 12:34. 2011....
- Adenylyl cyclase type 9 gene polymorphisms are associated with asthma and allergy in Brazilian childrenHelena M P Teixeira
Instituto de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Bahia, Brazil
Mol Immunol 82:137-145. 2017..Therefore, these SNPs may offer an impact on the occurrence of these conditions in admixture population from countries such as Brazil...
- A strategy for identifying serodiagnostically relevant antigens of Leishmania or other pathogens in genetic librariesMárcia C A Teixeira
Centro de Pesquisas Goncalo Moniz, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rua Valdemar Falcão 121, 40295 001, Salvador, Brazil
Biologicals 35:51-4. 2007..3% to 98.1%, without affecting its specificity, by the inclusion of a fifth and a sixth L. infantum rAg...
- Respiratory allergy to Blomia tropicalis: immune response in four syngeneic mouse strains and assessment of a low allergen-dose, short-term experimental modelTiana Baqueiro
Departamento de Biointeração, Instituto de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Av, Reitor Miguel Calmon, Canela, Salvador, Bahia, CEP 40110902, Brasil
Respir Res 11:51. 2010..The relevance and reproducibility of experimental animal models of allergy depends on the genetic background of the animal, the molecular composition of the allergen and the experimental protocol...
- Community-based monitoring of diarrhea in urban Brazilian children: incidence and associated pathogensMauricio L Barreto
Instituto De Saude Coletiva, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Rua Padre Feijó 20 Canela, 40 110 170 Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 100:234-42. 2006..The study demonstrated the importance of a public health monitoring system based on 'sentinel areas'...
- Cytokines, cytokine gene polymorphisms and Helicobacter pylori infection: friend or foe?Camila A Figueiredo
Camila A Figueiredo, Cintia Rodrigues Marques, Ryan dos Santos Costa, Hugo Bernardino F da Silva, Neuza M Alcantara Neves, Instituto de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, Bahia 41110 100, Brazil
World J Gastroenterol 20:5235-43. 2014..In this review, we present the cytokine profiles and the main cytokine gene polymorphisms associated with resistance/susceptibility to H. pylori and discuss how such polymorphisms may influence infection/disease outcomes. ..
- Conference scene: Parasites to treat immune-mediated diseases?Camila Alexandrina Figueiredo
Instituto de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Vale do Canela CEP 41110 100 Salvador, BA, Brazil
Immunotherapy 4:573-5. 2012....