Livia M Villar
Affiliation: Rio de Janeiro
- Prevalence of hepatitis B and C virus infections among military personnelLivia M Villar
Laboratory of Viral Hepatitis, Fundação Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil Electronic address
Braz J Infect Dis 19:285-90. 2015..The objective of this study was to estimate the seroprevalence of HBV and HCV and the risk factors associated to HBV exposure among Brazilian military personnel...
- Assessment of dried blood spot samples as a simple method for detection of hepatitis B virus markersLivia Melo Villar
Viral Hepatitis Laboratory, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, FIOCRUZ, RJ, Brazil
J Med Virol 83:1522-9. 2011..These results indicate that modified ELISA can be used to detect HBV markers in DBS samples, particularly if the samples are stored appropriately...
- Should Brazilian patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infection be vaccinated against hepatitis A virus?Livia M Villar
Viral Hepatitis Laboratory, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:238-42. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate the presence of serological and molecular HAV markers in a population of HCV-infected patients in order to determine a cost-effective strategy to vaccinate against HAV...
- Molecular detection of hepatitis A virus in urban sewage in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilL M Villar
Department of Virology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Lett Appl Microbiol 45:168-73. 2007..A one-year survey was conducted to examine hepatitis A virus (HAV) prevalence, distribution of genotypes and their relationship to bacterial indicators in raw and treated sewage samples...
- Evaluation of methods used to concentrate and detect hepatitis A virus in water samplesLivia Melo Villar
Department of Virology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Av Brazil 4365, 21045 900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
J Virol Methods 137:169-76. 2006..Both techniques are recommended for detecting HAV in environmental water samples...
- Co-circulation of genotypes IA and IB of hepatitis A virus in Northeast BrazilL M Villar
Departamento de Virologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 39:873-81. 2006..This is the first report of co-circulation of sub-genotypes IA and IB in this region, providing additional information about the molecular epidemiology of HAV strains in Brazil...
- Genetic variability of hepatitis A virus isolates in Rio de Janeiro: implications for the vaccination of school childrenL M Villar
Departamento de Virologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Braz J Med Biol Res 37:1779-87. 2004..Molecular characterization indicated the endemic circulation of specific HAV strains belonging to subgenotypes IA and IB...
- In situ enzyme immunoassay for titration of a Brazilian hepatitis A virus strain (HAF-203)L M Villar
Departamento de Virologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Braz J Med Biol Res 37:1023-7. 2004..This is the first report of the infectious titer of the Brazilian cell culture-adapted HAV strain (HAF-203)...
- Seasonal variation of hepatitis A virus infection in the city of Rio de Janeiro, BrazilLivia Melo Villar
Departament of Virology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, 21045 900, Brasil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 44:289-92. 2002..It is concluded that HAV infections occur all year round with a peak during hot seasons with great number of rains...
- Hepatitis a outbreak in a public school in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilLivia Melo Villar
Departamento de Virologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, 21045 900, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 97:301-5. 2002..In this situation, a massive vaccination campaign could control the HAV infection...
- Comparison between serum and saliva for the detection of hepatitis A virus RNALuciane A Amado
Laboratory of Technological Development, Department of Virology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute Foundation, Av Brasil 4365, Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21045 900, Brazil
J Virol Methods 148:74-80. 2008..Although nested RT-PCR and real-time PCR both detected HAV RNA in oral fluid, real-time PCR was more sensitive. Oral fluid sample testing could be used as a noninvasive method of detecting HAV RNA during HAV outbreaks...
- Detection of hepatitis A, B, and C virus-specific antibodies using oral fluid for epidemiological studiesLuciane A Amado
Laboratório de Desenvolvimento Tecnológico, Departamento de Virologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz Fiocruz Av Brasil 4365, 21040 900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 101:149-55. 2006....
- Detection of hepatitis A virus RNA in serum during the window period of infectionV S de Paula
Department of Virology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Avenida Brasil 4365, 21045 900 Rio de Janeiro RJ, Brazil
J Clin Virol 29:254-9. 2004....
- Hepatitis A virus in environmental water samples from the Amazon BasinV S de Paula
Department of Virology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Fiocruz Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Water Res 41:1169-76. 2007..In low viral load samples, HAV was detected only with real-time RT-PCR, suggesting that this technique is useful for monitoring HAV contamination. The presence of HAV in water samples constitutes a serious public health problem...
- Comparison of four extraction methods to detect hepatitis A virus RNA in serum and stool samplesVanessa Salete de Paula
Department of Virology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Rio de Janeiro RJ, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 7:135-41. 2003..The use of appropriate RNA extraction methods is a critical step for successful and valid PCR studies on clinical samples. We recommend that RNA extraction techniques be carefully selected for their efficiency with each type of specimen...