Affiliation: Rio de Janeiro
- Discordant immunological and virological responses to antiretroviral therapyMauro Schechter
Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro Av Brigadeiro Trompowski s n, Ilha do Fundao, Rio de Janeiro 21941 590, Brazil
J Antimicrob Chemother 58:506-10. 2006....
- Mean CD4 cell count changes in patients failing a first-line antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settingsAlexandra Calmy
HIV Unit, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
BMC Infect Dis 12:147. 2012..We assessed the impact of on-going HIV-RNA replication on CD4 cell count slopes in patients treated with a first-line combination ART...
- Identification of a high-risk heterosexual population for HIV prevention trials in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Projeto Praço Onze Study GroupM Schechter
Infectious Diseases Service, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Department of Preventive Medicine, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 24:175-7. 2000..This study demonstrates the usefulness of the newly described S/LS assay, which allows one to estimate HIV incidence from single serum specimens...
- Monotherapy with lopinavir/ritonavirMauro Schechter
Projeto Praça Onze, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 16:735-41. 2007....
- Treatment at scale in Brazil: a physician's perspectiveMauro Schechter
Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rua Professor Rodolpho Paulo Rocco no, 255, Ilha do Fundao, CEP 21941 590 Rio de Janeiro, SP, Brazil
AIDS 21:S31-5. 2007..The Brazilian experience also shows that operational research should be an integral part of programmes of access to treatment, if their long-term sustainability is to be ensured...
- Behavioral impact, acceptability, and HIV incidence among homosexual men with access to postexposure chemoprophylaxis for HIVMauro Schechter
Infectious Diseases Service, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 35:519-25. 2004..Little is known about the behavioral impact, acceptability, and incidence of HIV infection in persons with easy access to post-sexual exposure prophylaxis (PEP) to prevent HIV...
- Monotherapy with Lopinavir/Ritonavir as maintenance after HIV-1 viral suppression: results of a 96-week randomized, controlled, open-label, pilot trial (KalMo study)Estevão P Nunes
Projeto Praça Onze, Hospital Escola Sao Francisco de Assis, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
HIV Clin Trials 10:368-74. 2009..Long-term adverse events and expenses associated with HAART have led to an interest in simplified therapy. Lopinavir/ritonavir monotherapy is attractive due to its potency and high genetic barrier...
- Limited penetration of lopinavir and ritonavir in the genital tract of men infected with HIV-1 in BrazilTania R C Vergara
Infectious Diseases Service, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Ther Drug Monit 28:175-9. 2006..HIV-1 viral load was detectable in the semen of 2 and in the blood of 6 of 16 patients. These results may have implications for drug-resistant HIV-1 evolution and transmission...
- HIV vaccine evaluation center in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilMauro Schechter
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Av Brig Trompowski, CEP 21941 590, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Vaccine 20:1909-11. 2002..A phase 3 HIV vaccine trial is planned to begin in the next 18-24 months...
- Estimating the extent of underreporting of mortality among HIV-infected individuals in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilAntonio G Pacheco
FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 27:25-8. 2011....
- Effectiveness of antiretroviral therapy among patients who attend public HIV clinics in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilCristina B Hofer
Infectious Diseases Service, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Department of Preventive Medicine, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 36:967-71. 2004..Brazil provides antiretroviral therapy (ART) to HIV-infected persons free of charge. The objective of this study was to investigate factors associated with ART failure in patients receiving free ART in public clinics in Brazil...
- Genital HIV-1 viral load is correlated with blood plasma HIV-1 viral load in Brazilian women and is reduced by antiretroviral therapyMarcelo Vianna Vettore
Infectious Diseases Service, Department of Preventive Medicine, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, School of Medicine, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Infect 52:290-3. 2006..Cervicovaginal secretions represent the primary vehicle in mother to infant and sexual HIV-1 transmission. Understanding the viral dynamics in this compartment is important to improve interventions to decrease HIV transmission...
- Risk-based assessment does not distinguish between recent and chronic HIV-1 infection in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilMônica Merçon
Projeto Praça Onze, Hospital Escola Sao Francisco de Assis, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 13:272-5. 2009..Steady relationships and serosorting may be playing a key role in maintaining the HIV epidemics in Brazil...
- Mortality during the first year of potent antiretroviral therapy in HIV-1-infected patients in 7 sites throughout Latin America and the CaribbeanSuely H Tuboi
Projeto Praça Onze, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho and Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 51:615-23. 2009..Although nearly 2 million people live with HIV in Latin America and the Caribbean, mortality rates after initiation of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) have not been well described...
- Increase in non-AIDS related conditions as causes of death among HIV-infected individuals in the HAART era in BrazilAntonio G Pacheco
Department of Epidemiology and Quantitative Methods in Health, National School of Public Health Scientific Computing Program, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PLoS ONE 3:e1531. 2008....
- Adherence to antiretroviral therapy and persistence of HIV RNA in semenPaulo F Barroso
Infectious Diseases Sevice, Department of Preventive Medicine, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, School of Medicine, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 32:435-40. 2003..Although antiretroviral therapy (ART) reduces HIV seminal shedding, little is known about the relationship between adherence to ART and HIV suppression in semen...
- Assessing sexually transmitted infections in a cohort of women living with HIV/AIDS, in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilBeatriz Grinsztejn
Evandro Chagas Clinical Research Institute FIOCRUZ, Av Brasil, 4365 Manguinhos, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Int J STD AIDS 17:473-8. 2006..Reproductive counselling should be a part of this approach...
- Reduced risk of tuberculosis among Brazilian patients with advanced human immunodeficiency virus infection treated with highly active antiretroviral therapyGuilherme Santoro-Lopes
Infectious Diseases Clinic, Department of Preventive Medicine, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Clin Infect Dis 34:543-6. 2002..The use of highly active antiretroviral therapy in regions with a high prevalence of coinfection with HIV and Mycobacterium tuberculosis may contribute a lower incidence of tuberculosis...
- Weekly rifapentine/isoniazid or daily rifampin/pyrazinamide for latent tuberculosis in household contactsMauro Schechter
Infectious Diseases Service, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:922-6. 2006..Treatment of latent tuberculosis (TB) infection with weekly rifapentine and isoniazid is a potentially effective alternative to current therapies...
- Tuberculosis after initiation of antiretroviral therapy in low-income and high-income countriesMartin W G Brinkhof
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine ISPM, University of Berne, Finkenhubelweg 11, CH 3012 Bern, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 45:1518-21. 2007..48 (95% confidence interval, 0.36-0.64) in low-income countries and 0.36 (95% confidence interval, 0.26-0.50) in high-income countries. A low CD4 cell count at the start of therapy was the most important risk factor in both settings...
- Cohort Profile: Caribbean, Central and South America Network for HIV research (CCASAnet) collaboration within the International Epidemiologic Databases to Evaluate AIDS (IeDEA) programmeCatherine C McGowan
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA
Int J Epidemiol 36:969-76. 2007
- Lessons from a multisite international trial in the Caribbean and South America of an HIV-1 Canarypox vaccine (ALVAC-HIV vCP1452) with or without boosting with MN rgp120Farley Cleghorn
Center for HIV AIDS, Constella Futures, Washington, DC, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 46:222-30. 2007..vCP1452 was administered alone or with a heterologous boost of MN rgp120 glycoprotein. The trial was pivotal in deciding whether these vaccines advanced to phase 3 efficacy trials...
- Gender and the use of antiretroviral treatment in resource-constrained settings: findings from a multicenter collaborationPaula Braitstein
Department of Medicine, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 17:47-55. 2008....
- Overcoming resistance to existing therapies in HIV-infected patients: the role of new antiretroviral drugsCarlo Federico Perno
Department of Experimental Medicine and Biochimical Science, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
J Med Virol 80:565-76. 2008....
- Antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings 1996 to 2006: patient characteristics, treatment regimens and monitoring in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia and Latin AmericaOlivia Keiser
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine ISPM, University of Bern, Finkenhubelweg 11, 3012 Bern, Switzerland
Trop Med Int Health 13:870-9. 2008..To describe temporal trends in baseline clinical characteristics, initial treatment regimens and monitoring of patients starting antiretroviral therapy (ART) in resource-limited settings...
- Potential for new antiretrovirals to address unmet needs in the management of HIV-1 infectionGraeme Moyle
HIV Research Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, United Kingdom
AIDS Patient Care STDS 22:459-71. 2008....
- Subgroup and resistance analyses of raltegravir for resistant HIV-1 infectionDavid A Cooper
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, University of New South Wales, Sydney
N Engl J Med 359:355-65. 2008....
- Early loss of HIV-infected patients on potent antiretroviral therapy programmes in lower-income countriesMartin W G Brinkhof
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, Bern, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 86:559-67. 2008..To analyse the early loss of patients to antiretroviral therapy (ART) programmes in resource-limited settings...
- Raltegravir with optimized background therapy for resistant HIV-1 infectionRoy T Steigbigel
State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, USA
N Engl J Med 359:339-54. 2008..Raltegravir (MK-0518) is an inhibitor of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) integrase active against HIV-1 susceptible or resistant to older antiretroviral drugs...
- Predictors of virologic failure in HIV-1-infected patients starting highly active antiretroviral therapy in Porto Alegre, BrazilSuely H Tuboi
Infectious Diseases Epidemiology Research Unit, Graduate School of Public Health and School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 40:324-8. 2005..To assess predictors of virologic response 6 months after initiation of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in a cohort of HIV-infected patients in Brazil...
- Identification of a high-risk heterosexual cohort for HIV vaccine efficacy trials in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, using a sensitive/less-sensitive assay: an updatePaulo Feijó Barroso
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 36:880-1. 2004
- Treatment for adult HIV infection: 2004 recommendations of the International AIDS Society-USA PanelPatrick G Yeni
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hopital Bichat Claude Bernard, X Bichat Medical School, Paris, France
JAMA 292:251-65. 2004..Substantial changes in the field of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) treatment have occurred in the last 2 years, prompting revision of the guidelines for antiretroviral management of adults with established HIV infection...
- Triple nucleoside treatment with abacavir plus the lamivudine/zidovudine combination tablet (COM) compared to indinavir/COM in antiretroviral therapy-naïve adults: results of a 48-week open-label, equivalence trial (CNA3014)Asda Vibhagool
Medicine Department, Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Curr Med Res Opin 20:1103-14. 2004..a regimen containing the protease inhibitor indinavir (IDV) 800 mg three times daily plus COM twice daily (IDV/COM) in antiretroviral-naïve, HIV-infected patients...
- Predictors of adherence and virologic outcome in HIV-infected patients treated with abacavir- or indinavir-based triple combination HAART also containing lamivudine/zidovudinePedro Cahn
Fundacion Huesped, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Curr Med Res Opin 20:1115-23. 2004....
- Therapy for early HIV infection: how far back should the pendulum swing?Mauro Schechter
J Infect Dis 190:1043-5. 2004
- Nevirapine and efavirenz elicit different changes in lipid profiles in antiretroviral-therapy-naive patients infected with HIV-1Frank van Leth
International Antiviral Therapy Evaluation Center, Division of Infectious Diseases, Tropical Medicine, and AIDS, Department of Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS Med 1:e19. 2004..We analysed whether lipid changes differed between the two most commonly used NNRTIs, nevirapine (NVP) and efavirenz (EFV)...
- Antiretroviral treatment for adult HIV infection in 2002: updated recommendations of the International AIDS Society-USA PanelPatrick G Yeni
Hopital Bichat Claude Bernard, Department of Infectious Diseases, 46 rue Henri Huchard, Paris, Cedex 18 France 75877
JAMA 288:222-35. 2002..These updated recommendations are intended to guide practicing physicians actively involved in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)- and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)-related care...
- High prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases in young women seeking HIV testing in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilRobert L Cook
Division of General Internal Medicine, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Sex Transm Dis 31:67-72. 2004..Few data are available on the prevalence of and risk factors for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) other than HIV in Brazil...
- Cohort Profile: Antiretroviral Therapy in Lower Income Countries (ART-LINC): international collaboration of treatment cohortsFrancois Dabis
INSERM U 593, ISPED, Universite Victor Segalen, Bordeaux Cedex, France
Int J Epidemiol 34:979-86. 2005
- Discordant responses to potent antiretroviral treatment in previously naive HIV-1-infected adults initiating treatment in resource-constrained countries: the antiretroviral therapy in low-income countries (ART-LINC) collaborationSuely H Tuboi
Infectious Diseases Epidemiology Research Unit, Graduate School of Public Health and School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 45:52-9. 2007..To assess the frequency of and risk factors for discordant responses at 6 months on highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in previously treatment-naive HIV patients from resource-limited countries...
- Mortality of HIV-1-infected patients in the first year of antiretroviral therapy: comparison between low-income and high-income countriesPaula Braitstein
Lancet 367:817-24. 2006..We compared baseline characteristics and outcomes during the first year of HAART between HIV-1-infected patients in low-income and high-income settings...
- Viral load and CD4 count dynamics after HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual and bisexual men in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilGaston Djomand
HIV Vaccine Trials Network, Seattle, WA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:401-4. 2006..Reliable predictors of HIV disease progression are scarce in developing countries, where most HIV infections occur. We describe early virologic and immunologic events among men who have sex with men in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil...
- Treatment for adult HIV infection: 2006 recommendations of the International AIDS Society-USA panelScott M Hammer
Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
JAMA 296:827-43. 2006..The International AIDS Society-USA panel has updated its recommendations as warranted by new developments in the field...
- The use of supplementary techniques to increase recall of sex partners in a network-based research study in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilAndré R S Périssé
Institute of Human Virology, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, USA
Sex Transm Dis 35:674-8. 2008..To evaluate supplementary cueing as a technique to increase recall of sex partners in the year before the interview...
- Cross-clade reactivity of HIV-1-specific T-cell responses in HIV-1-infected individuals from Botswana and CameroonSwati B Gupta
Merck and Co, Inc, Whitehouse Station, NJ, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 42:135-9. 2006..Substantial cross-clade cell-mediated immune responses in Botswana and Cameroon confirm previous findings in a larger, more genetically diverse collection of HIV-1 samples...
- Cross-reactivity of anti-HIV-1 T cell immune responses among the major HIV-1 clades in HIV-1-positive individuals from 4 continentsPaul M Coplan
Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, Pennsylvania, USA
J Infect Dis 191:1427-34. 2005..Therefore, we quantified the cross-clade reactivity, among unvaccinated individuals, of anti-HIV-1 T cell responses to the infecting HIV-1 clade relative to other major circulating clades...
- Antiretroviral therapy in resource-poor settings: scaling up inequalities?Matthias Egger
Int J Epidemiol 34:509-12. 2005