Affiliation: Rio de Janeiro
- Mach-band attenuation by adjacent stimuli: experiment and filling-in simulationsL Pessoa
Programa de Engenharia de Sistemas e Computacao COPPE Sistemas, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Perception 25:425-42. 1996..The findings are interpreted in terms of a recent filling-in model of brightness perception and the results of computer simulations of stimuli are shown...
- Mach bands: how many models are possible? Recent experimental findings and modeling attemptsL Pessoa
Programa de Engenharia de Sistemas e Computacao, COPPE Sistemas, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Vision Res 36:3205-27. 1996..In order to evaluate individual proposals, it is necessary to consider them in the larger picture of visual science and to determine how they contribute to the understanding of vision in general...
- The perception of lightness in 3-D curved objectsL Pessoa
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Percept Psychophys 58:1293-305. 1996..Illumination change over 3-D forms is therefore taken into account in lightness perception...
- Finding out about filling-in: a guide to perceptual completion for visual science and the philosophy of perceptionL Pessoa
Department of Computer and Systems Engineering, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Behav Brain Sci 21:723-48; discussion 748-802. 1998....
- Behavioral modulation by mutilation pictures in womenM G Pereira
Departamento de Neurobiologia, Instituto de Biofisica, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 37:353-62. 2004..Thus, although women may be more emotionally expressive, they were not more reactive to aversive stimuli than men, as measured by emotional interference in a simple reaction time task...
- Contributions of stimulus valence and arousal to visual activation during emotional perceptionJ Mourao-Miranda
Institute of Biophysics Carlos Chagas Filho, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Neuroimage 20:1955-63. 2003..Differential activation for conditions matched for arousal (pleasant vs neutral) as well as matched for valence (interesting vs neutral) indicated that both stimulus valence and arousal contributed to visual activation...
- Visual filling-in for computing perceptual surface propertiesH Neumann
, , Abteilung Neuroinformatik, Oberer Eselsberg, Germany
Biol Cybern 85:355-69. 2001..It therefore unifies different research directions that have so far coexisted in different scientific communities...
- Neural processing of emotional faces requires attentionL Pessoa
Laboratory of Brain and Cognition, National Institute of Mental Health, Building 10, Room 4C104, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:11458-63. 2002..Thus, the processing of facial expression appears to be under top-down control...
- Modulation of emotion by cognition and cognition by emotionK S Blair
Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 2670, USA
Neuroimage 35:430-40. 2007..NeuroImage, 29 (3), 721-733] and negative connectivity with bilateral amygdala. These data suggest that processes involved in emotional regulation are recruited during task performance in the context of emotional distractors...