Affiliation: Rio de Janeiro
- Characterization of ectoparasites in an urban cat (Felis catus Linnaeus, 1758) population of Rio de Janeiro, BrazilFlavya Mendes-de-Almeida
Universidade Federal Fluminense, Faculdade de Veterinaria, Rua Vital Brazil Filho 64, Niteroi, RJ, Brazil
Parasitol Res 108:1431-5. 2011..Ectoparasites are not only nuisances to both cats and owners, but they are also significant carriers of disease. Therefore, the implementation of rigorous, safe preventive measures is of great importance...
- Cochliomyia hominivorax myiasis in a colony of stray cats (Felis catus Linnaeus, 1758) in Rio de Janeiro, RJFlavya Mendes-de-Almeida
Departamento de Patologia e Clínica, Universidade Federal Fluminense, Faculdade de Veterinaria, Rua Vital Brazil 64, Niteroi, RJ 24230 340, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 146:376-8. 2007..Most lesions were found on the front part of the body of adult males (80%), suggesting that myiasis occur in consequence of competitive fighting wounds...
- Follow-up of the health conditions of an urban colony of free-roaming cats (Felis catus Linnaeus, 1758) in the city of Rio de Janeiro, BrazilFlavya Mendes-de-Almeida
Fundação RIOZOO, Parque da Quinta da Boa Vista s n, Sao Cristovao, RJ, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 147:9-15. 2007..Therefore, it seems that stabilizing the population by a judicious control program facilitated the distribution of the pathogens throughout the colony, while the general well-being of the cats was not seriously affected...
- Reduction of feral cat (Felis catus Linnaeus 1758) colony size following hysterectomy of adult female catsFlavya Mendes-de-Almeida
Faculdade de Veterinaria, Universidade Federal Fluminense, Rua Vital Brazil Filho 64, Niteroi, RJ, Brazil
J Feline Med Surg 13:436-40. 2011....
- Sanitary conditions of a colony of urban feral cats (Felis catus Linnaeus, 1758) in a zoological garden of Rio de Janeiro, BrazilFlavya Mendes-de-Almeida
Fundação RIOZOO, Sao Cristovao, RJ, 20940 040, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 46:269-74. 2004..There was no correlation between hemoparasites and FIV infections. The estimated total cat population (mark-recapture method) was 59; 68% female and 32% male, suggesting that a neutering program is in fact needed...
- Prevalence of Bartonella species DNA and antibodies in cats (Felis catus) submitted to a spay/neuter program in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilAna Crissiuma
Universidade Federal Fluminense, Niteroi, RJ, Brazil
J Feline Med Surg 13:149-51. 2011..In four of the 20 flea-infested cats, Bartonella species DNA was detected in the fleas obtained from those cats, but only one of these four cats had Bartonella species DNA in its blood...
- Selamectin for the prevention of canine Dirofilaria immitis infection: field efficacy in client-owned dogs in a high risk areaMaria de Fátima Chicarino Varajão Moraes-da-Silva
Consultório Veterinário Fino Trato para Cão e Gato, Av Armando Lombardi 800, loja 100 F, 22640 000, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Parasit Vectors 9:407. 2016..Included in this re-evaluation was the efficacy of selamectin in client-owned dogs residing in a high infection-risk area...
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii (Nicole & Manceaux, 1909) and retroviral status of client-owned pet cats (Felis catus, Linnaeus, 1758) in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilBethânia Ferreira Bastos
Faculdade de Veterinaria, Universidade Federal Fluminense, Niteroi, RJ, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 56:201-3. 2014..4%), indicating that those cats had never been exposed to the parasite and, therefore, once infected, they could present the risk of shedding large numbers of oocysts into the environment. ..
- Effects of doxycycline on the endosymbiont Wolbachia in Dirofilaria immitis (Leidy, 1856)--naturally infected dogsMaria Ines Doria Rossi
Fundação Oswaldo Cruz Av Brasil, 4365, CEP 21040 360, Manguinhos, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 174:119-23. 2010..immitis transmission may be impaired by the reduction on the number of microfilariae and on the endosymbiotic bacteria in the larvae turning them incapable of completing development once they infected a new host...
- Updated canine infection rates for Dirofilaria immitis in areas of Brazil previously identified as having a high incidence of heartworm-infected dogsNorma Vollmer Labarthe
Programa de Pós Graduação em Medicina Veterinária, Faculdade de Veterinaria, Universidade Federal Fluminense, Rua Vital Brazil Filho 64, Santa Rosa, CEP 24230 340, Niteroi, RJ, Brazil
Parasit Vectors 7:493. 2014..Therefore, an updated survey of canine heartworm prevalence was conducted in several locations in south, southeast, and northeast Brazil...
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii in cats (Felis catus, Linnaeus 1758) living in Lima, PeruLuis Cerro
Programa de Pós Graduação em Medicina Veterinária, Faculdade de Veterinaria, Universidade Federal Fluminense UFF, Niteroi, RJ, Brasil
Rev Bras Parasitol Vet 23:90-3. 2014..50, p = 0.004) or with homemade food (x2 = 4.1, p = 0.027). The frequency of cats diagnosed in the chronic phase of T. gondii infection was 88% (15/17). No T. gondii oocysts were found in any of the 50 fecal samples examined. ..