Affiliation: Rio de Janeiro
- Haloperidol plus promethazine for psychosis induced aggressionG Huf
Rua Senador Vergueiro, 87 702 Flamengo, RJ Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Cochrane Database Syst Rev . 2005..Health services often manage agitated or violent people and for emergency psychiatric services such behaviour is particularly prevalent (10%). The drugs used in this situation should ensure that the person swiftly and safely becomes calm...
- Current practices in managing acutely disturbed patients at three hospitals in Rio de Janeiro-Brazil: a prevalence studyGisele Huf
Ministry of Health, Brazil
BMC Psychiatry 2:4. 2002..In order to prepare for a randomised trial, due to start in the psychiatric emergency rooms of Rio de Janeiro in 2001, a survey of current practice was necessary...
- TREC-Rio trial: a randomised controlled trial for rapid tranquillisation for agitated patients in emergency psychiatric rooms [ISRCTN44153243]Gisele Huf
Oswaldo Cruz Foundation FIOCRUZ, Av, Brasil, 4635 Manguinhos, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
BMC Psychiatry 2:11. 2002..Worldwide, current treatment is not based on evidence from randomised trials. In Brazil, the combination haloperidol-promethazine is frequently used, but no studies involving this mix exist...
- Rapid tranquillisation in psychiatric emergency settings in Brazil: pragmatic randomised controlled trial of intramuscular haloperidol versus intramuscular haloperidol plus promethazineGisele Huf
National Institute of Quality Control in Health INCQS, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation FIOCRUZ, Av Brasil 4365, Manguinhos, 21040 900, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
BMJ 335:869. 2007..To determine whether haloperidol alone results in swifter and safer tranquillisation and sedation than haloperidol plus promethazine...
- [Haloperidol plus promethazine for agitated patients--a systematic review]Gisele Huf
Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Instituto Nacional de Controle de Qualidade em Saude, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 31:265-70. 2009..Rapid and safe tranquillisation is sometimes unavoidable. We conducted this systematic review to determine the value of the combination haloperidol plus promethazine, frequently used in Brazil...
- TREC-SAVE: a randomised trial comparing mechanical restraints with use of seclusion for aggressive or violent seriously mentally ill people: study protocol for a randomised controlled trialGisele Huf
National Institute of Quality Control in Health Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Trials 12:180. 2011..With such coercive treatment this leaves all concerned vulnerable to abuse and criticism. This paper presents the protocol for a randomised trial comparing seclusion with restraints for people with serious mental illnesses...
- [Pragmatic clinical trials: an option in the construction of health-related evidence]Evandro da Silva Freire Coutinho
Departamento de Epidemiologia e Métodos Quantitativos em Saúde, Escola Nacional de Saude Publica, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, 21041 210, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 19:1189-93. 2003..They argue that this strategy, when properly applied, can be a powerful tool to obtain unbiased measures of effectiveness, with simpler logistics and lower costs than in current clinical trials...