Affiliation: Rio de Janeiro
- Evaluation of the clinical utility of new diagnostic tests for tuberculosis: the role of pragmatic clinical trialsGisele Huf
Oswaldo Cruz Foundation National Institute of Quality Control in Health, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
J Bras Pneumol 38:237-45. 2012..We argue that the evaluation of new diagnostic techniques for the detection of tuberculosis should not escape this same logic of evaluation...
- Current practices in the use of sildenafil for pulmonary arterial hypertension in Brazilian hospitalsAna Ha de Souza
Pharmacy Service, National Institute of Cardiology, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
BMC Res Notes 2:30. 2009..This study reinforced the need of checking the practices of preparing and administering sildenafil continually...
- [Haloperidol plus promethazine for agitated patients--a systematic review]Gisele Huf
Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Instituto Nacional de Controle de Qualidade em Saude, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 31:265-70. 2009..Rapid and safe tranquillisation is sometimes unavoidable. We conducted this systematic review to determine the value of the combination haloperidol plus promethazine, frequently used in Brazil...
- TREC-SAVE: a randomised trial comparing mechanical restraints with use of seclusion for aggressive or violent seriously mentally ill people: study protocol for a randomised controlled trialGisele Huf
National Institute of Quality Control in Health Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Trials 12:180. 2011..With such coercive treatment this leaves all concerned vulnerable to abuse and criticism. This paper presents the protocol for a randomised trial comparing seclusion with restraints for people with serious mental illnesses...
- Rapid tranquillisation in psychiatric emergency settings in Brazil: pragmatic randomised controlled trial of intramuscular haloperidol versus intramuscular haloperidol plus promethazineGisele Huf
National Institute of Quality Control in Health INCQS, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation FIOCRUZ, Av Brasil 4365, Manguinhos, 21040 900, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
BMJ 335:869. 2007..To determine whether haloperidol alone results in swifter and safer tranquillisation and sedation than haloperidol plus promethazine...
- TREC-Rio trial: a randomised controlled trial for rapid tranquillisation for agitated patients in emergency psychiatric rooms [ISRCTN44153243]Gisele Huf
Oswaldo Cruz Foundation FIOCRUZ, Av, Brasil, 4635 Manguinhos, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
BMC Psychiatry 2:11. 2002..Worldwide, current treatment is not based on evidence from randomised trials. In Brazil, the combination haloperidol-promethazine is frequently used, but no studies involving this mix exist...
- Current practices in managing acutely disturbed patients at three hospitals in Rio de Janeiro-Brazil: a prevalence studyGisele Huf
Ministry of Health, Brazil
BMC Psychiatry 2:4. 2002..In order to prepare for a randomised trial, due to start in the psychiatric emergency rooms of Rio de Janeiro in 2001, a survey of current practice was necessary...
- Liquid vs Solid Culture Medium to Evaluate Proportion and Time to Change in Management of Suspects of Tuberculosis-A Pragmatic Randomized Trial in Secondary and Tertiary Health Care Units in BrazilAdriana da Silva Rezende Moreira
Tuberculosis Academic Program, Medical School, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PLoS ONE 10:e0127588. 2015..The use of liquid medium (MGIT960) for tuberculosis (TB) diagnosis was recommended by WHO in 2007. However, there has been no evaluation of its effectiveness on clinically important outcomes...
- Performance comparison between the mycobacteria growth indicator tube system and Löwenstein-Jensen medium in the routine detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis at public health care facilities in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: preliminary results of a pragmaticAdriana da Silva Rezende Moreira
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Instituto de Doenças do Tórax, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Bras Pneumol 39:365-7. 2013..Here, we summarize the methodology and preliminary results of the trial. (ISRCTN.org Identifier: ISRCTN79888843 [http://isrctn.org/]). ..
- Assessing new strategies for TB diagnosis in low- and middle-income countriesAFRANIO KRITSKI
REDE TB, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 17:211-7. 2013....
- [Pragmatic clinical trials: an option in the construction of health-related evidence]Evandro da Silva Freire Coutinho
Departamento de Epidemiologia e Métodos Quantitativos em Saúde, Escola Nacional de Saude Publica, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, 21041 210, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 19:1189-93. 2003..They argue that this strategy, when properly applied, can be a powerful tool to obtain unbiased measures of effectiveness, with simpler logistics and lower costs than in current clinical trials...