Genomes and Genes
Organization: Porto Alegre
- Digital learning objects in nursing consultation: technology assessment by undergraduate studentsDeniseTolfo Silveira
Escola de Enfermagem, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, RS, Brazil
Rev Lat Am Enfermagem 18:1005-12. 2010..The results showed positive agreement (58%) on the content, usability and didactics of the proposed computer-mediated activity regarding the nursing consultation. The application of materials to the students is considered positive...
- Context adaptive lossless and near-lossless coding for digital angiographiesRafael A P dos Santos
Instituto de Informatica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Caixa Postal 15064, 91501 970, Porto Alegre, RS, Brasil
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2007:5666-9. 2007..8%, 2% and 1.6% better than JPEG-2000, JPEG-LS and the method proposed in , respectively. The performance tends to improve for near-lossless compression...
- The state of the art of adeno-associated virus-based vectors in gene therapyRenata dos Santos Coura
Department of Genetics, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Av Bento Goncalves 9500, 91501 970, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Virol J 4:99. 2007..This report will highlight the state of the art of AAV-based vectors studies and the advances on the use of AAV vectors for several gene therapy approaches...
- [Sociodemographic profile and self-referred health conditions of the elderly in a city of Southern Brazil]Lisiane M G Paskulin
Programa de Pós Graduação em Enfermagem, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP
Rev Saude Publica 41:757-68. 2007..To assess the association between gender and age groups and socioeconomic and health variables among older adults...
- Outbreaks of tetanus in beef cattle and sheep in Brazil associated with disophenol injectionD Driemeier
Department of Veterinary Pathology, UFRGS, CEP 91540 000, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med 54:333-5. 2007..The disease was observed on five farms in Rio Grande Sul, Brazil...
- The use of LR values to check the best fit of cut-off values in G6PD deficient casesS M Castro
School of Pharmacy, UFRGS, Av Ipiranga, 2752, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Clin Biochem 40:496-8. 2007
- The role of food restriction on CCl4-induced cirrhosis model in ratsHelena A S Goldani
Laboratório de Hepatologia Experimental, Centro de pesquisas do Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre, Rua Ramiro Barcelos 2350, 90035 003 Porto Alegre RS, Brazil
Exp Toxicol Pathol 58:331-7. 2007..Moreover, there is an ideal range of food intake that predisposes to liver damage without increasing mortality leading to a more effective model...
- Dyslipidemia among adolescents and children from PernambucoEveraldo de Franca
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Instituto Materno Infantil de Pernambuco e Escola de Pós Graduação em Saúde Materno, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Arq Bras Cardiol 87:722-7. 2006..To describe the prevalence of dyslipidemia and overweight among children and adolescents in the state of Pernambuco, Brazil...
- [Relationship between adverse neural tension and nerve conduction studies in patients with symptoms of the carpal tunnel syndrome]Mahmud Ahmad Ismail Mahmud
Fisioterapeuta, Serviço de Fisiatria, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, RS, and Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 64:277-82. 2006..007). It is suggested that the ANTm does have a participation in the physiopathology of the CTS, and the use of therapeutical procedures that diminish the development of neural tension...
- Bladder tenderness as a physical sign for diagnosing cystitis in womenR F Savaris
Serviço e Departamento de Ginecologia e Obstetrícia da Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 93:256-7. 2006
- Estimates of body height in adult inpatientsMariur Gomes Beghetto
Nutrition Support Team and Nutrology Medical Service, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Brazil
Clin Nutr 25:438-43. 2006....
- Alkaline hydrolysis as a tool to determine the association form of indomethacin in nanocapsules prepared with poly(eta-caprolactone)Adriana Raffin Pohlmann
Programa de Pós Graduação em Química, Instituto de Quimica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Caixa Postal 15003, CEP 91501 970 Porto Alegre RS, Brazil
Curr Drug Deliv 1:103-10. 2004..The adsorption was the mechanism of indomethacin association with nanocapsules...
- The RNA interference revolutionG Lenz
Departamento de Biofisica, Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Av Benito Goncalves 9500, 91501 370 Porto Alegre, RS, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 38:1749-57. 2005....
- ['New' public health and health promotion via education: between tradition and innovation]Dora Lúcia de Oliveira
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Rev Lat Am Enfermagem 13:423-31. 2005....
- Mucopolysaccharidosis type VI (Maroteaux-Lamy syndrome): assessment of joint mobility and grip and pinch strengthAntonio Cardoso-Santos
Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul UFRGS, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
J Pediatr (Rio J) 84:130-5. 2008..To describe the profile of joint mobility and grip and pinch strength of MPS VI patients and to correlate this with urinary excretion of glycosaminoglycans (GAGs), ARSB activity, and the distance covered in a 6-minute walking test (6MWT)...
- Effects of aging on peripheral chemoreceptor CO2 response during sleep and wakefulness in healthy menDenis Martinez
Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 162:138-43. 2008..024). Aging seems to spare the SBCO2T during sleep. Investigation of SBCO2T during transition from wakefulness to sleep, as a factor in the pathogenesis of disordered breathing in elderly men, is justified...
- [Violence and health professionals in primary health care]Dagmar Elaine Kaiser
Departamento de Assistência e Orientação Profissional da Escola de Enfermagem da UFRGS, Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil
Rev Gaucha Enferm 29:362-6. 2008..The study showed the factors associated to risk of exposure to violence and its consequences, contributing with information and knowledge that may mitigate these events...
- Prevalence and acquisition of MRSA amongst patients admitted to a tertiary-care hospital in BrazilHelena B Santos
Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Porto Alegre, Brazil
BMC Infect Dis 10:328. 2010..We report a prospective study in a tertiary-care, university-affiliated hospital to implement a new MRSA control policy at the institution...
- Control of carbohydrate metabolism in an anoxia-tolerant nervous systemLuciano Stürmer de Fraga
Departamento de Fisiologia, Instituto de Ciencias Basicas da Saude, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
J Exp Zool A Ecol Genet Physiol 313:539-47. 2010..During the aerobic recovery period, the enzyme activities returned to basal values. The possible strategies used by Megalobulimus abbreviatus CNS to survive anoxia are discussed...
- Item response theory applied to the Beck Depression InventoryStela Maris de Jezus Castro
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul
Rev Bras Epidemiol 13:487-501. 2010..The results show gains resulting from use of IRT in the analysis of latent traits...
- Jack bean urease alters serotonin-induced effects on Rhodnius prolixus anterior midgutF Stanisçuaski
Department of Biophysics, Institute of Biosciences, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
J Insect Physiol 56:1078-86. 2010..JBU and PGE(2) increase cGMP levels in the anterior midgut, indicating that this molecule might also be part of the JBU pathway...
- Plasma concentrations of salbutamol in the treatment of acute asthma in a pediatric emergency. Could age be a parameter of influence?Eloni T Rotta
Pharmacy, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 66:605-10. 2010..The objective was to determine if the plasma concentrations of salbutamol, obtained during inhalation treatment of infantile acute asthma, are influenced by age range and by the aerosol system used...
- Light sleep and sleep time misperception - relationship to alpha-delta sleepDenis Martinez
Division of Cardiology, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul UFRGS, Rua Ramiro Barcelos, 2350, Porto Alegre, RS 90035 903, Brazil
Clin Neurophysiol 121:704-11. 2010..We investigated the association of alpha-delta sleep (A-DS) with: (1) perception of light sleep and (2) discrepancy between subjective and objective sleep duration...
- Differential expression of nucleotide pyrophosphatase/phosphodiesterases by Walker 256 mammary cancer cells in solid tumors and malignant ascitesAndreia Buffon
Departamento de Análises, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Life Sci 86:435-40. 2010..In this study, we have identified and characterized the ectonucleotide pyrophosphatase/phosphodiesterase (E-NPP) family members expressed during the subcutaneous tumor growth and in the ascitic form of Walker 256 mammary tumor cells...
- [Evaluation of a psychosocial care center in Foz do Iguaçú, Brazil]Agnes Olschowsky
Escola de Enfermagem e do Programa de Pós Graduação em Enfermagem, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Rev Esc Enferm USP 43:781-7. 2009..The presented issuesarethemesthat demonstrate the commitment to a healthy environment, which implies comfort and subjectivity in the work at CAPS...
- A neuroprotective exercise protocol reduces the adenine nucleotide hydrolysis in hippocampal synaptosomes and serum of ratsIonara Rodrigues Siqueira
Unidade de Experimentação Animal, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, CEP 90035 903, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Brain Res 1316:173-80. 2010..We suggest that the neuroprotective exercise protocol may modulate nucleotidase activities...
- Interactive modeling and evaluation of tumor growthJacob Scharcanski
Instituto de Informatica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Caixa Postal 15064, 91501 970, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
J Digit Imaging 23:755-68. 2010..Additionally, the proposed method potentially can provide a quantitative reference to compare the tumor shrinkage rate in cancer treatments...
- Left-sided EEG focus and positive psychiatric family history are independent risk factors for affective disorders in temporal lobe epilepsyJosé Augusto Bragatti
Division of Neurology, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Epilepsy Res 87:169-76. 2009..To identify independent risk factors for affective disorders in temporal lobe epilepsy...
- [Association between iron supplementation during pregnancy and prematurity, low birth weight, and very low birth weight]Tatiane da Silva Dal Pizzol
Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 25:160-8. 2009..75-1.31), or very low birth weight (OR = 0.58; 95%CI: 0.29-1.13). The results suggest that iron supplementation up to the 28th gestational week does not reduce the risk of prematurity, low birth weight, or very low birth weight...
- Two specific strains of Histoplasma capsulatum causing mucocutaneous manifestations of histoplasmosis: preliminary analysis of a frequent manifestation of histoplasmosis in southern BrazilLuciano Z Goldani
Section of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Mycopathologia 167:181-6. 2009..It is possible that genetic differences among strains of H. capsulatum may influence the pathogenesis and clinical manifestations of histoplasmosis...
- [Humanized care in the teaching of nursing]Maria da Graça Motta
Escolas de Enfermagem, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul
Rev Bras Enferm 57:758-60. 2004..We found out that it is important to introduce alternative methodologies into the teaching/learning process of students, seeking the construction of knowledge and giving priority to their experiences...
- Reproducibility of the Banff classification in subclinical kidney transplant rejectionFrancisco Veríssimo Veronese
Renal Division, Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre and Post Graduation Nephrology Program, School of Medicine, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Clin Transplant 19:518-21. 2005....
- Early cleavage of human embryos: an effective method for predicting successful IVF/ICSI outcomeA Bos-Mikich
Fundação Universitária de Endocrinologia e Fertilidade, Rua Alcides Cruz 101, CEP 90 630 160, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Hum Reprod 16:2658-61. 2001..We investigated whether extending the time for selection of cleaved embryos to 29 h post-insemination/ICSI had a similar effect on pregnancy and implantation rates...
- Nitric oxide synthase inhibition by L-NAME prevents the decrease of Na+,K+-ATPase activity in midbrain of rats subjected to arginine administrationA T Wyse
Departamento de Bioquimica, ICBS, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Neurochem Res 26:515-20. 2001..These results demonstrate that in vivo arginine administration reduces Na(+),K(+)-ATPase activity possibly through free radical generation induced by NO formation...
- Stability in a metapopulation model with density-dependent dispersalJ A Silva
Departamento de Matemática Pura e Aplicada, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Av Bento Goncalves 9500, Porto Alegre RS, Brasil
Bull Math Biol 63:485-505. 2001..A concrete example is presented illustrating the dynamics on the dispersal-induced unstable regime...
- [Relationship among caries, gingivitis and fluorosis and socioeconomic status of school children]M Maltz
Departamento de Odontologia Preventiva e Social, Faculdade de Odontologia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 35:170-6. 2001..To determine the relationship between the socioeconomic status and dental caries, gingivitis and fluorosis among Brazilian school children...
- [The model of clinical assistance and possibilities of doing it in a different way]E Kohlrausch
Departamento de Assistência e Orientação Profissional da Escola de Enfermagem da Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul
Rev Gaucha Enferm 20:70-85. 1999....
- Synchronism in a metapopulation modelJ A Silva
Departamento de Matemática Pura e Aplicada, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre RS, Brasil
Bull Math Biol 62:337-49. 2000..Since synchronism is strongly correlated with extinction, our results can provide useful information on factors leading to population extinction...
- A high-performance liquid chromatographic assay for sparfloxacinH R Marona
Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, UNESP, Araraquara, SP, Brazil
J Pharm Biomed Anal 20:413-7. 1999..The method validation yielded good results and included the range, linearity, precision, accuracy, specificity and recovery. This method can also be applied to stability studies...
- Sequence-dependent growth inhibition and DNA damage formation by the irinotecan-5-fluorouracil combination in human colon carcinoma cell linesD R Mans
Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Eur J Cancer 35:1851-61. 1999....
- Unique frequency of known mutations in Brazilian MPS I patientsU Matte
Medical Genetics Service, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Am J Med Genet 90:108-9. 2000..The low frequency of common mutations indicates that a more comprehensive analysis of the IDUA gene should be done to delineate the mutation profile of MPS I better in our population...
- Memory-enhancing treatments do not reverse the impairment of inhibitory avoidance retention induced by NMDA receptor blockadeR Roesler
Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul Campus da Saúde, Porto Alegre, RS, 90035 003, Brazil
Neurobiol Learn Mem 72:252-8. 1999..The results suggest that memory-enhancing treatments directed at modulatory mechanisms do not reverse the memory impairment induced by NMDA receptor blockade...
- Effect of repeated restraint stress on memory in different tasksG D Gamaro
Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 32:341-7. 1999..The findings suggest that repeated restraint stress might induce cognitive impairments that are dependent on the task and on stress intensity...
- Involvement of hippocampal NMDA receptors in retention of shuttle avoidance conditioning in ratsR Roesler
Departamentos de Bioquímica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 31:1601-4. 1998..These data suggest that NMDA receptors in the hippocampus are critical for retention of shuttle avoidance conditioning, in agreement with previous evidence showing a role of NMDA receptors in fear memory...
- Hepatitis C virus genotypes in Southern BrazilL P Krug
Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 29:1629-32. 1996..virus (HCV) genotypes in Southern Brazil was studied in the plasma of 100 HCV-RNA-positive patients attended in Porto Alegre, South of Brazil...
- The need for pedagogical qualifications for teaching cardiology to undergraduate studentsWaldomiro Carlos Manfroi
Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Arq Bras Cardiol 78:271-80. 2002..These changes were put into practice by some teachers at the Medical School of Porto Alegre of the University of Rio Grande do Sul (FAMED/UFRGS) aiming to make faculty and student activities more dynamic ..
- [Neonatal screening for hemoglobinopathies: a pilot study in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil]Liane Esteves Daudt
Serviço de Hematologia e Transplante de Medula Ossea, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, 90035 003, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 18:833-41. 2002..undergoing screening tests for metabolic diseases at the University Hospital (Hospital de Clínicas) in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil...
- Rationale for internet-mediated communitiesCarlo Gabriel Porto Bellini
Postgraduate Program on Administration, School of Administration, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Cyberpsychol Behav 6:3-14. 2003..Additional empirical research is now needed to apply the theoretical grounds here developed to varying IMC contexts and to different communication technologies...
- Ontogenetic changes in serum S100B in Down syndrome patientsCristina B O Netto
Dept Bioquimica, ICBS, UFRGS, Rua Euripedes Monteiro Duarte 10 305, Porto Alegre, RS, 90830 250, Brazil
Clin Biochem 38:433-5. 2005..It has been shown that Down syndrome (DS) patients have elevated S100B levels in brain tissue...
- Infected and noninfected ascites in pediatric patientsSandra M G Vieira
Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Brazil
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 40:289-94. 2005....
- [Severe adverse effects: evaluation in research protocols used at a university hospital]Jose Roberto Goldim
Grupo de Pesquisa e Pós Graduação do Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre e Programa de Pós Graduação Ciências em Gastroenterologia da Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brasil
Rev Gaucha Enferm 25:202-6. 2004..from clinical research protocols that were presented to Research Ethic Committee from Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre, RS, Brasil...
- Infantile Systemic Hyalinosis: report of three unrelated Brazilian children and review of the literatureTemis M Felix
Servico de Genetica Medica, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Clin Dysmorphol 13:231-6. 2004..Skin biopsy performed in all three patients showed diffuse deposits of hyaline material, confirming the diagnosis of ISH...
- Effect of pre-analytical variables on glycohemoglobin measurements in routine clinical careJoiza L Camargo
Clinical Pathology Department, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Clin Biochem 37:836-9. 2004..To analyze the contribution of the labile A1C fraction (L-A1C) and sample storage conditions on GHb measurements...
- Infective endocarditis (IE) in children receiving treatment for cancerAngela Rech
Pediatric Oncology Unit, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Pediatr Blood Cancer 43:159-63. 2004..TIPs are associated with a high rate of IE. The diagnosis of IE should be considered in children with cancer who have major/minor criteria as defined by the Duke criteria...
- Asymptomatic babesiosis in a child with hepatoblastomaAngela Rech
Pediatric Oncology Unit, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul Porto Alegre, Brazil
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 26:213. 2004
- [Nursing students' perceptions during voluntary training]Isabel Cristina Echer
Escola de Enfermagem, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul
Rev Gaucha Enferm 24:238-46. 2003..The statements evidenced the significance of this practice for the academic student and allowed a reflection on the aspects that must be improved to make the learning process easier...
- S100B content and SOD activity in amniotic fluid of pregnancies with Down syndromeCristina B Netto
Departamento de Bioquimica, ICBS, UFRGS, Porto Alegre RS, Brazil
Clin Biochem 37:134-7. 2004..We measured S100B levels and superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity retrospectively in amniotic fluid samples from pregnancies with normal and Down syndrome (DS) fetuses...
- Oxidative damage in brains of mice treated with apomorphine and its oxidized derivativeJose Claudio F Moreira
Department of Biochemistry, ICBS, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul UFRGS, 90035 003, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Brain Res 992:246-51. 2003..In contrast, 8-OASQ induced a dose-dependent increase in CAT activity. The results suggest that apomorphine and its oxidation product, 8-OASQ, induce differential effects on CNS oxidative parameters...
- Is it time to conclude that NMDA antagonists have failed?Rafael Roesler
GENOTOX Laboratory, Center for Biotechnology, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Lancet Neurol 2:13; discussion 13. 2003
- Extracellular conversion of guanine-based purines to guanosine specifically enhances astrocyte glutamate uptakeMarcos Emilio dos Santos Frizzo
Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Rua Ramiro Barcelos, 2600 Anexo, 90035 003 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Brain Res 972:84-9. 2003..Moreover, GABA uptake was not activated by GUO. These results point to specificity in the interaction between GUO and the astrocyte glutamate uptake system...
- A multi-agent intelligent environment for medical knowledgeRosa M Vicari
Informatics Institute, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Caixa Postal 15064 91501 970, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Artif Intell Med 27:335-66. 2003..That negotiation process occurs between the agents that represent the expert knowledge domain (DomainAgent) and the agent that represents the learner knowledge (LearnerAgent)...
- Rise and fall in ischemic heart disease mortality - it may have happened beforeM I Azambuja
Departmento de Medicina Social, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 29:440-3. 1995..The implications of this on causal theories and current etiological research on atherosclerosis are discussed...