Genomes and Genes
Janete M Cerutti
- Gene expression profiling of papillary thyroid carcinoma identifies transcripts correlated with BRAF mutational status and lymph node metastasisGisele Oler
Division of Genetics, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sãp Paulo, Brazil
Clin Cancer Res 14:4735-42. 2008..To identify papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC)-associated transcripts, we compared the gene expression profiles of three Serial Analysis of Gene Expression libraries generated from thyroid tumors and a normal thyroid tissue...
- A preoperative diagnostic test that distinguishes benign from malignant thyroid carcinoma based on gene expressionJanete M Cerutti
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Invest 113:1234-42. 2004..76; 95% confidence interval, [0.59, 0.93]). A simple test based on a combination of these markers might improve preoperative diagnosis of thyroid nodules, allowing better treatment decisions and reducing long-term health costs...
- Diagnosis of suspicious thyroid nodules using four protein biomarkersJanete M Cerutti
Department of Neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins University Medical School, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:3311-8. 2006..The goal of this study was to determine if antibody markers used alone or in combination could accurately distinguish between a wider variety of benign and malignant thyroid lesions in fixed sections and FNA samples...
- [Nodule diagnosed as follicular patterned lesion: are biomarkers the promise?]Janete M Cerutti
Departamento de Morfologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 51:832-42. 2007....
- Extended RET gene analysis in patients with apparently sporadic medullary thyroid cancer: clinical benefits and costSusan C Lindsey
Laboratory of Molecular and Translational Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, São Paulo 04039 032, Brazil
Horm Cancer 3:181-6. 2012..The cost evaluation in apparent sMTC using a tiered approach may help clinicians make more suitable decisions regarding the benefits of investigating only the hot spots against the entire coding region of RET...
- ABI3 ectopic expression reduces in vitro and in vivo cell growth properties while inducing senescenceFlavia R M Latini
Genetic Bases of Thyroid Tumors Laboratory, Division of Genetics and Division of Endocrinology, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
BMC Cancer 11:11. 2011..Mounting evidence has indicated that ABI3 (ABI family member 3) function as a tumor suppressor gene, although the molecular mechanism by which ABI3 acts remains largely unknown...
- PVALB, a new Hürthle adenoma diagnostic marker identified through gene expressionJanete M Cerutti
Genetic Bases of Thyroid Tumor Laboratory, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:E151-60. 2011..One lingering problem with these markers was that false positives occurred with Hürthle cell adenomas (HCA) which lowered test specificity...
- Genome-wide copy number analysis in a family with p.G533C RET mutation and medullary thyroid carcinoma identified regions potentially associated with a higher predisposition to lymph node metastasisAline N Araujo
Genetic Bases of Thyroid Tumors Laboratory A N A, L M, J M C, Division of Genetics, Department of Morphology and Genetics, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, and Laboratory of Molecular and Translational Endocrinology M I C F, R M B M, Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, São Paulo SP 04039 032, Brazil Center for Applied Genomics H H, J L, R P, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Research Institute and Department of Pediatrics H H, The Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99:E1104-12. 2014..G533C RET gene mutation in a large family with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 syndrome. Clinical heterogeneity, primarily associated with the presence of lymph node metastases, was observed among the p.G533C carriers...
- A ten-year clinical update of a large RET p.Gly533Cys kindred with medullary thyroid carcinoma emphasizes the need for an individualized assessment of affected relativesPriscila S Signorini
Department of Medicine, Laboratory of Molecular and Translational Endocrinology, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 80:235-45. 2014..Reviewing the clinical outcomes of a large kindred with a RET p.Gly533Cys mutation, 10 years after the first description of this kindred, has provided an important set of clinical data for healthcare decision-making...
- Molecular profiling of matched samples identifies biomarkers of papillary thyroid carcinoma lymph node metastasisJanete M Cerutti
Department of Neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins University Medical School, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Cancer Res 67:7885-92. 2007..The functional role of these genes may also provide insight into mechanisms of thyroid cancer metastasis...
- Seven-year follow-up of a juvenile female with papillary thyroid carcinoma with poor outcome, BRAF mutation and loss of expression of iodine-metabolizing genesGisele Oler
Federal University of Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 52:1313-6. 2008..In the present study we report an unusual clinical behavior of PTC and correlate with BRAF mutational status and level of expression of TSHR and NIS...
- Genetic markers differentiating follicular thyroid carcinoma from benign lesionsBeatriz C G Freitas
Genetic Bases of Thyroid Tumor Laboratory, Division of Genetics, Department of Morphology and Genetics, Federal University of Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Mol Cell Endocrinol 321:77-85. 2010..This review will focus on those biomarkers that are potentially useful in the diagnosis of thyroid lesions commonly classified as indeterminate...
- [Pathogenesis of differentiated thyroid cancer (papillary and follicular)]Rui M B Maciel
Departamento de Medicina, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 49:691-700. 2005..Several genes, as TRgamma, PTEN, PKAR1A, DDIT3, ARG2, ITM1 and C1orf24--some discovered by techniques of differential gene expression--, have been recently implicated in the pathogenesis of FTC...
- Identification of several novel non-p.R132 IDH1 variants in thyroid carcinomasJefferson Pessoa Hemerly
Laboratório Bases Genéticas dos Tumores da Tiroide, Disciplinas de Genética e Endocrinologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Rua Pedro de Toledo 669, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Eur J Endocrinol 163:747-55. 2010..Somatic mutations at residue R132 of isocitrate dehydrogenase 1 (IDH1) were recently discovered in gliomas and leukaemia at a high frequency. IDH1 is a metabolic gene, and the R132 mutations create a new enzymatic activity...
- Optimizing nucleic acid extraction from thyroid fine-needle aspiration cells in stained slides, formalin-fixed/paraffin-embedded tissues, and long-term stored blood samplesMarina M L Kizys
Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 56:618-26. 2012..Here, we evaluate several procedures to improve current methodologies for DNA (salting-out) and RNA isolation...
- Arginase 2 and nitric oxide synthase: Pathways associated with the pathogenesis of thyroid tumorsMaria Sharmila A Sousa
Genetic Basis of Thyroid Tumors Laboratory, Division of Genetics, Department of Morphology and Genetics, Federal University of Sao Paulo, 04039 032 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Free Radic Biol Med 49:997-1007. 2010..Fine modulation of ARG2, eNOS, and related genes may represent a potential source for targeted therapy of several cancer types...
- Early diagnosis of multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B: a challenge for physiciansCleber P Camacho
Department of Medicine, Federal University of Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 52:1393-8. 2008..Here we report four cases of MEN2B in which the late diagnosis had a significant impact in clinical evolution and, potentially, in overall survival...
- AGK-BRAF gene fusion is a recurrent event in sporadic pediatric thyroid carcinomaMaria Isabel C V Cordioli
Genetic Bases of Thyroid Tumors Laboratory, Division of Genetics, Department of Morphology and Genetics, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Cancer Med 5:1535-41. 2016..Understanding the molecular events underlying pediatric PTC may improve preoperative diagnosis, allow molecular prognostication and define a therapeutic approach toward sporadic PTC patients. ..
- Transcriptional regulation of the potential tumor suppressor ABI3 gene in thyroid carcinomas: interplay between methylation and NKX2-1 availabilityLaís Moraes
Genetic Bases of Thyroid Tumors Laboratory, Division of Genetics, Department of Morphology and Genetics, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Oncotarget 7:25960-70. 2016..Our study shows that the transcriptional silencing of ABI3 in cancer cells occurs via methylation and uncovered a previously unrecognized role for NKX2-1 in the regulation of ABI3. ..
- Are we really at the dawn of understanding sporadic pediatric thyroid carcinoma?Maria Isabel C Vieira Cordioli
Genetic Bases of Thyroid Tumors LaboratoryDivision of Genetics, Department of Morphology and Genetics and Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Pedro de Toledo 669, 11 andar, 04039 032, Sao Paulo, SP, BrazilDivision of EndocrinologyDepartment of Medicine, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Irmandade da Santa Casa de Misericordia de Sao Paulo, Dr Cesário Mota Jr, 112, 01221 020, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Endocr Relat Cancer 22:R311-24. 2015..The aim of this review is to present an extensive literature review with emphasis on the molecular differences between pediatric sporadic and radiation-exposed differentiated thyroid carcinomas and adult population. ..
- Flavones from Erythrina falcata are modulators of fear memoryDaniela Rodrigues de Oliveira
Department of Biological Science, Behavior Pharmacology and Ethnopharmacology Laboratory, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
BMC Complement Altern Med 14:288. 2014..The aim of this study was to identify the flavonoids present in the stem bark crude extract of Erythrina falcata (CE) and to perform a bioactivity-guided study on conditioned fear memory...
- Neuromodulatory property of standardized extract Ginkgo biloba L. (EGb 761) on memory: behavioral and molecular evidenceDaniela R Oliveira
Department of Biological Science, Federal University of Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Brain Res 1269:68-89. 2009..All together, our findings not only provide new evidence for a role of EGb 761 on memory but also identify molecular changes that underlie the fear memory consolidation...
- The expression of PAX8-PPARgamma rearrangements is not specific to follicular thyroid carcinomaClaudia C D Nakabashi
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 61:280-2. 2004
- Large-scale transcriptome analyses reveal new genetic marker candidates of head, neck, and thyroid cancerEduardo M Reis
Departamento de Bioquimica, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Cancer Res 65:1693-9. 2005..Similar analysis is warranted for a number of other tumors for which large EST data sets are available...
- Identification of candidates for tumor-specific alternative splicing in the thyroidGustavo S Guimaraes
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 45:540-53. 2006..In addition, real-time PCR analysis revealed that expression of an alternative PFDN5 variant was higher in malignant lesions than in benign lesions or normal tissues...
- Y791F RET mutation and early onset of medullary thyroid carcinoma in a Brazilian kindred: evaluation of phenotype-modifying effect of germline variantsRosana Tamanaha
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 67:806-8. 2007
- A novel germ-line point mutation in RET exon 8 (Gly(533)Cys) in a large kindred with familial medullary thyroid carcinomaAdriana M Alvares Da Silva
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Escola Paulist de Medicina, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:5438-43. 2003..To improve the diagnosis of FMTC, analysis of exon 8 of RET should be considered in families with no identified classical RET mutations...