Peter in 't Veld
Affiliation: Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- Insulitis in human type 1 diabetes: a comparison between patients and animal modelsPeter In't Veld
Department of Pathology, Diabetes Research Center, Vrije Universiteit Brussel VUB, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090, Brussels, Belgium
Semin Immunopathol 36:569-79. 2014..In view of these differences and in view of the limited success of clinical immune interventions based on observations in the NOD mouse, there is a renewed focus on studying the pathogenetic process in patient material...
- Beta-cell replication is increased in donor organs from young patients after prolonged life supportPeter In't Veld
Diabetes Research Center and JDRF Center for Beta Cell Therapyin Diabetes, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgiumin
Diabetes 59:1702-8. 2010..This study assesses beta-cell replication in human donor organs and examines possible influences of the preterminal clinical conditions...
- Genomic activation of the EGFR and HER2-neu genes in a significant proportion of invasive epithelial ovarian cancersJoanna Vermeij
Laboratory for Molecular Oncology, Universitair Ziekenhuis, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
BMC Cancer 8:3. 2008..The status of the EGFR and HER2-neu genes has not been fully defined in ovarian cancer. An integrated analysis of both genes could help define the proportion of patients that would potentially benefit from targeted therapies...
- Insulitis in the human endocrine pancreas: does a viral infection lead to inflammation and beta cell replication?P In't Veld
Department of Pathology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 103, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Diabetologia 54:2220-2. 2011....
- Insulitis in human type 1 diabetes: The quest for an elusive lesionPeter In't Veld
Department of Pathology, Diabetes Research Center, Free University of Brussels, Belgium
Islets 3:131-8. 2011..It discusses recent new insights into the regenerative capacity of the β-cell mass in the pre-clinical stages of the disease and relates these findings to the inflammatory processes within the islet tissue...
- Xenotransplantation of purified pre-natal porcine beta cells in mice normalizes diabetes when a short anti-CD4-CD8 antibody treatment is combined with transient insulin injectionsPeter In t Veld
Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University VUB and JDRF Center for Beta Cell Therapy in Diabetes, Brussels, Belgium
Xenotransplantation 13:415-22. 2006..The present study investigates whether these grafts are also capable of correcting hyperglycemia in immune-competent mice receiving a short treatment with anti-CD4-CD8 antibodies...
- Microscopic anatomy of the human islet of LangerhansPeter In't Veld
Department of Pathology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Adv Exp Med Biol 654:1-19. 2010..Histopathological lesions in type 2 diabetes are less pathognomonic with a more limited reduction in beta-cell content and occasional deposition of amyloid in the islet interstitial space...
- Screening for insulitis in adult autoantibody-positive organ donorsPeter In't Veld
Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University and Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Center for Beta Cell Therapy in Diabetes, Brussels, Belgium
Diabetes 56:2400-4. 2007..It was only detected in <10% of the islets, some of which presented signs of beta-cell proliferation. No decrease in beta-cell mass was detected in cases with insulitis or in the group of antibody+ subjects...
- Correlation between beta cell mass and glycemic control in type 1 diabetic recipients of islet cell graftBart Keymeulen
Diabetes Research Center and Academisch Ziekenhuis, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:17444-9. 2006..Thus, 1-year metabolic control can be reproducibly achieved and standardized by cultured islet cell grafts with defined beta cell number...
- Progesterone rise on HCG day in GnRH antagonist/rFSH stimulated cycles affects endometrial gene expressionI Van Vaerenbergh
Vrije Universiteit Brussel and UZ Brussel, Department of Pathology, Jette, Belgium
Reprod Biomed Online 22:263-71. 2011..5 ng/ml on the day of HCG administration...
- Human islet cell implants in a nude rat model of diabetes survive better in omentum than in liver with a positive influence of beta cell number and purityD Jacobs-Tulleneers-Thevissen
Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University VUB, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Diabetologia 53:1690-9. 2010..The reasons for losses in donor cells are difficult to assess in patients. This study in streptozotocin-diabetic nude rats examines whether outcome is better in an extra-hepatic site such as omentum...
- Beta cell count instead of beta cell mass to assess and localize growth in beta cell population following pancreatic duct ligation in miceMarie Chintinne
Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University VUB, and Center for Beta Cell Therapy in Diabetes, Brussels, Belgium
PLoS ONE 7:e43959. 2012..This study examines whether PDL increases beta cell number and whether this is caused by neogenesis of small clusters and/or their growth to larger aggregates...