Affiliation: Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- Beta-cell transplantation restores metabolic control and quality of life in a patient with subcutaneous insulin resistancePieter Gillard
Diabetes Research Center and Academic Hosptial, Vrije Universiteit Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Diabetes Care 27:2243-4. 2004
- Differences in baseline lymphocyte counts and autoreactivity are associated with differences in outcome of islet cell transplantation in type 1 diabetic patientsRobert Hilbrands
Diabetes Research Center and Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussels, Brussels Free University Vrije Universiteit Brussel VUB, Brussels, Belgium
Diabetes 58:2267-76. 2009..This retrospective analysis examines whether differences in recipient characteristics at the time of transplantation are correlated with inadequate graft function...
- Functional beta-cell mass and insulin sensitivity is decreased in insulin-independent pancreas-kidney recipientsPieter Gillard
Department of Diabetology, Diabetes Research Center and University Hospital Brussels, Brussels Free University VUB, Brussels, Belgium
Transplantation 87:402-7. 2009..To compare functional beta-cell mass and insulin sensitivity in insulin-independent pancreas-kidney recipients with that in age- and body mass index-matched nondiabetic kidney recipients and normal controls...
- Predictive factors of allosensitization after immunosuppressant withdrawal in recipients of long-term cultured islet cell graftsRobert Hilbrands
Diabetes Research Center and Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Transplantation 96:162-9. 2013..Islet transplantation has been reported to induce allosensitization in the majority of type 1 diabetic recipients of fresh or shortly incubated islet grafts prepared from one to three donors...
- Comparison of sirolimus alone with sirolimus plus tacrolimus in type 1 diabetic recipients of cultured islet cell graftsPieter Gillard
Academisch Ziekenhuis and Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University, Brussels, Belgium
Transplantation 85:256-63. 2008..Because sirolimus (SIR) monotherapy was successful in kidney transplantation under antithymocyte globulin (ATG), we undertook a pilot study comparing SIR monotherapy with SIR-TAC combination therapy...
- Relationship between glycaemic variability and hyperglycaemic clamp-derived functional variables in (impending) type 1 diabetesAnnelien Van Dalem
Diabetes Research Center, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 100, 1090, Brussels, Belgium
Diabetologia 58:2753-64. 2015....
- HLA-A*24 Carrier Status and Autoantibody Surges Posttransplantation Associate With Poor Functional Outcome in Recipients of an Islet AllograftSimke Demeester
Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University, Brussels, Belgium
Diabetes Care 39:1060-4. 2016..We investigated whether changes in islet autoantibody profile and presence of HLA risk markers, reported to predict rapid β-cell loss in pre-type 1 diabetes, associate with poor functional outcome in islet allograft recipients...
- Early alteration of kidney function in nonuremic type 1 diabetic islet transplant recipients under tacrolimus-mycophenolate therapyPieter Gillard
1 Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Leuven KUL and Department of Endocrinology, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium 2 Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University VUB and University Hospital Brussels, Brussels, Belgium 3 I Biostat, Biostatistical Centre, University of Leuven KUL, Leuven, Belgium 4 Study Program of Statistics, Universitas Brawijaya, Indonesia 5 Department of Nephrology and Renal Transplantation, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium 6 Department of Clinical Chemistry, University Hospital Brussels, Brussels, Belgium 7 Address correspondence to Pieter Gillard, M D, Ph D, Department of Endocrinology, University Hospitals Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Transplantation 98:451-7. 2014..Transplant patients on tacrolimus therapy exhibit a reduced glomerular filtration rate (GFR). The type of graft and immune treatment protocol may influence the extent and reversibility of this side effect...
- Prediction of Impending Type 1 Diabetes through Automated Dual-Label Measurement of Proinsulin:C-Peptide RatioAnnelien Van Dalem
Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University VUB, Brussels, Belgium
PLoS ONE 11:e0166702. 2016....
- Hyperglycemic clamp and oral glucose tolerance test for 3-year prediction of clinical onset in persistently autoantibody-positive offspring and siblings of type 1 diabetic patientsEric V Balti
Diabetes Research Center E V B, e V, I W, A V, S D, P G, B K, D G P, K D, F K G, Brussels Free University VUB, Brussels, Belgium Department of Clinical Chemistry and Radio Immunology E V B, I W, A V, S D, K V, F K G, University Hospital Brussels UZ Brussel, Brussels, Belgium Diabetes Clinic E V, U V, B K, K D, University Hospital Brussels UZ Brussel, Brussels, Belgium Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine P G, University of Leuven KUL and University Hospital Leuven, Leuven, Belgium Department of Endocrinology C D, Diabetology and Metabolism, Antwerp University Hospital, Edegem, Belgium and Department of Endocrinology J R, Paris
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 100:551-60. 2015....
- Feasibility, safety, and efficacy of percutaneous transhepatic injection of beta-cell graftsGeert Maleux
Department of Radiology, University Hospitals Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:1693-7. 2005..To evaluate the safety, feasibility, and clinical efficacy of percutaneous transhepatic injection of beta-cell grafts in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus...
- Correlation between beta cell mass and glycemic control in type 1 diabetic recipients of islet cell graftBart Keymeulen
Diabetes Research Center and Academisch Ziekenhuis, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:17444-9. 2006..Thus, 1-year metabolic control can be reproducibly achieved and standardized by cultured islet cell grafts with defined beta cell number...
- Cellular islet autoimmunity associates with clinical outcome of islet cell transplantationVolkert A L Huurman
Department of Immunohematology and Blood Transfusion, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 3:e2435. 2008..We tested the hypothesis that allograft rejection and recurrent autoimmunity contribute to this progressive loss of islet allograft function...