Genomes and Genes
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Organization: Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- Central fatigue and neurotransmitters, can thermoregulation be manipulated?R Meeusen
Department of Human Physiology and Sports Medicine, Faculty of Physical Education and Physiotherapy, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Scand J Med Sci Sports 20:19-28. 2010..It is, however, unlikely that one neurotransmitter system is responsible for the delay or onset of fatigue. Further research is required to determine the exact mechanisms of fatigue in different environmental conditions...
- [Experimental therapy of African trypanosomiasis with a nanobody-conjugated human trypanolytic factor]Toya Nath Baral
Département des Interactions cellulaires et moléculaires, Vlaams Interuniversitair Instituut voor Biotechnologie, Laboratorium voor Cellulaire en Moleculaire Immunologie, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan 2, B 1050 Bruxelles, Belgique
Med Sci (Paris) 22:914-6. 2006
- Exercise and the brain: insight in new therapeutic modalitiesRomain Meeusen
Dept Human Physiology and Sportsmedicine Vrije Universiteit Brussel Belgium
Ann Transplant 10:49-51. 2005..Exercise is a powerful tool to stimulate several brain processes, and it is becoming clear that therapeutic effects of exercise are not only good for cardiovascular and other diseases, but that exercise is also good for the brain...
- Slow antagonist dissociation and long-lasting in vivo receptor protectionGeorges Vauquelin
Department of Molecular and Biochemical Pharmacology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan 2, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Trends Pharmacol Sci 27:356-9. 2006..However, when the half-life of the free antagonist prevails, longer effective protection by slowly dissociating antagonists occurs only if the receptor is exposed to rapid fluctuations in free agonist concentration...
- Granulomatous lobular mastitis: a rare chronic inflammatory disease of the breast which can mimic breast carcinomaG Verfaillie
Department of Senology and Oncologic Surgery, AZ VUB, Brussels, Belgium
Acta Chir Belg 106:222-4. 2006..Another option is a long-term steroid treatment. It is mandatory to exclude infectious causes of granulomatous mastitis before corticoid therapy is started...
- Six dimensional analysis with daily stereoscopic x-ray imaging of intrafraction patient motion in head and neck treatments using five points fixation masksNadine Linthout
Department of Radiotherapy, Oncology Center, Academic Hospital Free University, Brussels AZ VUB, Belgium
Med Phys 33:504-13. 2006....
- Tsunami: response to a disasterDirk R G Danschutter
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Free University Hospital, AZ VU Brussels, Laarbeeklaan 101, Brussels B1090, Belgium
Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 17:481-94, xii. 2005..This article tells one story of disaster relief efforts and proposes an established team of pediatricians to respond to disaster situations in the future...
- Review article: the treatment of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis with thiazolidinedionesH Reynaert
Department of Gastroenterology Hepatology, University Hospital AZ VUB, Brussels, Belgium
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 22:897-905. 2005..Although no serious side effects occurred in the pilot studies, we should look vigilantly for hepatotoxicity, as the first generation thiazolidinediones proved to be toxic for the liver...
- The role of chemotherapy in the treatment of low-grade glioma. A review of the literatureBart Neyns
Medische Oncologie, Oncologisch Centrum, Academisch Ziekenhuis Vrije Universiteit Brussel AZ VUB, Brussel, Belgium
Acta Neurol Belg 105:137-43. 2005....
- Thyroid function after assisted reproductive technology in women free of thyroid diseaseKris Poppe
Department of Endocrinology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Fertil Steril 83:1753-7. 2005..To evaluate thyroid function in women undergoing a first assisted reproductive technology (ART) procedure and to compare women with ongoing pregnancy or miscarriage...
- Response monitoring and expectancy in random serial RT tasksEric Soetens
University of Brussels Vrije Univeristeit Brussel, Department of Cognitive and Physiological Psychology, Pleinlaan 2, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Acta Psychol (Amst) 119:189-216. 2005..The data clearly strengthen the support for three different processes generating sequential effects in random serial RT tasks...
- Influence of hOGG1, XRCC1 and XRCC3 genotypes on biomarkers of genotoxicity in workers exposed to cobalt or hard metal dustsR Mateuca
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laboratorium voor Cellulaire Genetica, Pleinlaan 2, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Toxicol Lett 156:277-88. 2005..Further studies will demonstrate whether genotyping for hOGG1 and XRCC3 polymorphisms is useful for a better individual monitoring of workers...
- The early effect of proton pump inhibitor therapy on the accuracy of the 13C-urea breath testF Mana
Department of Gastroenterology, Free University of Brussels, Academisch Ziekenhuis, Laarbeeklaan 101, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Dig Liver Dis 37:28-32. 2005..The intake of proton pump inhibitors may interfere with the reliability of the urea breath test...
- The utility of multimodality imaging in anaplastic thyroid carcinomaKris Poppe
Department of Endocrinology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel AZ VUB, Brussels, Belgium
Thyroid 14:981-2. 2004
- Tracheal stenosis: a flow dynamics studyMark Brouns
Dept of Mechanical Engineering, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
J Appl Physiol (1985) 102:1178-84. 2007..The present simulations confirm that the overall pressure drop at rest is only affected in case of severe constriction, and the simulated flow dependence of pressure drop suggests a means of detecting stenosis at a precritical stage...
- Defining the occurrence and influence of alpha-delta sleep in chronic fatigue syndromeElke Van Hoof
Department of Human Physiology, Vrije Universiteit, Brussels, Belgium
Am J Med Sci 333:78-84. 2007..This article compiles a large sleep study database on CFS patients and correlates these data with a limited number of immune parameters as it has been thought that RNase L could be associated with these sleep disturbances...
- Control of Trypanosoma evansi infection is IgM mediated and does not require a type I inflammatory responseToya Nath Baral
Department of Cellular and Molecular Interactions, Vlaams Interuniversitair Instituut voor Biotechnologie, Laboratorium voor Cellulaire en Moleculaire Immunologie, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, B 1050, Belgium
J Infect Dis 195:1513-20. 2007..evansi displays a distinct host-parasite interaction profile, give that, despite an infection-associated induction of proinflammatory molecules, only IgM antibodies contribute significantly to parasite control...
- A lifespan perspective on the career of talented and elite athletes: perspectives on high-intensity sportsP Wylleman
Faculty of Physical Education and Physiotherapy, Faculty Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussel, Belgium
Scand J Med Sci Sports 20:88-94. 2010..Finally, perspectives are formulated on future lifespan research and the provision of career support services in HIS...
- Advances in health promotion in Africa: promoting health through hospitalsPeter Delobelle
Department of Public Health, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Glob Health Promot 17:33-6. 2010....
- Evolutionary epistemology as a scientific method: a new look upon the units and levels of evolution debateNathalie Gontier
Fund for Science and Technology, Portugal FCT, Centre for Philosophy of Science, Universidade de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
Theory Biosci 129:167-82. 2010..Levels are levels if one can point out units that evolve at that level according to evolutionary mechanisms, and mechanisms are considered as such if one can point out units and levels where the mechanism is active...
- Nocturnal road traffic noise: A review on its assessment and consequences on sleep and healthSandra Pirrera
Unit of Biological Psychology, Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Environ Int 36:492-8. 2010..The domain might benefit from additional longitudinal studies on deleterious effects of noise on mental health and general well-being...
- Design and evaluation of flow distributors for microfabricated pillar array columnsJoris Vangelooven
Department of Chemical Engineering, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan2, 1040 Brussels, Belgium
Lab Chip 10:349-56. 2010....
- Preferences of advanced lung cancer patients for patient-centred information and decision-making: a prospective multicentre study in 13 hospitals in BelgiumKoen Pardon
End of Life Care Research Group, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Patient Educ Couns 77:421-9. 2009..To identify preferences of advanced lung cancer patients for receiving information and participating in decision-making concerning treatment options, health-care-setting transfers and end-of-life decision-making...
- Deconvolution-based dynamic contrast-enhanced MR imaging of breast tumors: correlation of tumor blood flow with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 status and clinicopathologic findings--preliminary resultsSmitha Makkat
Department of Radiology, UZ Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Radiology 249:471-82. 2008..To prospectively determine whether breast carcinomas possess characteristic values of tumor blood flow (TBF) that correlate with pathologic and molecular prognostic markers...
- Population-based study of dying in hospital in six European countriesJ Cohen
End of Life Care Research Group, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Palliat Med 22:702-10. 2008..These findings can contribute to rational public health policies aimed at reducing hospital deaths...
- Does implicit learning in non-demented Parkinson's disease depend on the level of cognitive functioning?Jochen Vandenbossche
Department of Cognitive and Biological Psychology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan 2, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Brain Cogn 69:194-9. 2009..Our results indicate an association between cognitive functioning in PD patients and sequence learning. These findings emphasize the use of assessing cognition in addition to the well-known motor aspects in PD...
- Small airways ventilation heterogeneity and hyperinflation in COPD: response to tiotropium bromideSylvia Verbanck
Respiratory Division, University Hospital Brussels, Belgium
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2:625-34. 2007..We conclude that the sustained improvements in trough IC and FEV1 with tiotropium bromide predominantly observed in COPD patients with considerable hyperinflation, are unrelated to small airways ventilation heterogeneity...
- Freshmen in nursing: job motives and work values of a new generationRein De Cooman
Department of Work, Organizational and Economic Psychology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
J Nurs Manag 16:56-64. 2008..To identify the features young nurses look for in their job (job motives) and the features they look for in work in general (work values)...
- Changes in medical end-of-life practices during the legalization process of euthanasia in BelgiumJohan Bilsen
End of Life Care Research Group, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Soc Sci Med 65:803-8. 2007....
- Hospitalisations at the end of life: using a sentinel surveillance network to study hospital use and associated patient, disease and healthcare factorsLieve Van den Block
End of Life Care Research Group, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
BMC Health Serv Res 7:69. 2007..In this study we aim to describe hospital use in the last three months of life in Belgium and identify associated patient, disease and healthcare factors...
- The results of dietary advice on lipoprotein levels among patients attending for lipid-lowering drugsD Devroey
Department of General Practice, University of Brussels, Belgium
Cent Eur J Public Health 12:131-3. 2004..Half of the patients receiving lipid-lowering drugs in Belgium were not able to decrease their TC with dietary advice before the initiation of the treatment...
- Hepatic nervous system: forewordAlbert Geerts
Laboratory for Liver Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 280:805. 2004
- A definition-based analysis of symptoms in a large cohort of patients with chronic fatigue syndromeP De Becker
VUB, Vakgroep Interne Geneeskunde, KRO gebouw niv 1, Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
J Intern Med 250:234-40. 2001..This study was performed to answer the need to assess the homogeneity of a large CFS population in relationship to the Fukuda or Holmes definitions and to assess the importance of a symptom severity scale...
- Improving in vitro maturation of oocytes in the human taking lessons from experiences in animal speciesJ Smitz
Follicle Biology Laboratory and Centre for Reproductive Medicine, Brussels, Belgium
Reprod Domest Anim 36:11-7. 2001..The conditions to achieve this improved cytoplasmic maturation by prolonging the in vitro culture remain to be defined. More objective noninvasive parameters for oocyte maturity are also needed to pursue research in this field...
- Saline aerosol bolus dispersion. I. The effect of acinar airway alterationS Verbanck
Respiratory Division, Academic Hospital, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
J Appl Physiol (1985) 90:1754-62. 2001..This study shows the consistent response of two conceptually independent tests, in which both saline aerosol and gas-derived indexes point to a heterogeneous distribution of smoking-induced structural alterations in the lung periphery...
- Microhardness changes in surface enamel after application of bioadhesive fluoride tablets in situP Bottenberg
Department of Restaurative Dentistry, Dental School, Free University of Brussels, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussel, Belgium
Clin Oral Investig 4:153-6. 2000..This self-administered device can be a supplementary means for prevention of caries...
- Activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK)1/2 contributes to cytokine-induced apoptosis in purified rat pancreatic beta-cellsD Pavlovic
Gene Expression Unit, Diabetes Research Center, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 103, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Eur Cytokine Netw 11:267-74. 2000..We conclude that IL-1 beta induces activation of both p38 and ERK1/2, and that ERK1/2 contributes to the pro-apoptotic effects of the cytokine in primary beta-cells...
- Effect of beta-blockade on low-dose dobutamine-induced changes in left ventricular function in healthy volunteers: assessment by gated SPET myocardial perfusion scintigraphyH Everaert
Division of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital, Free University of Brussels AZ VUB, Belgium
Eur J Nucl Med 27:419-24. 2000....
- MR phase imaging to quantify bone volume fraction: computer simulations and in vivo measurementsS Allein
Biomedical MR Unit, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 101, B 1090, Brussels, Belgium
Magn Reson Imaging 18:275-9. 2000..46)...
- A diffuse biosemiotic model for cell-to-tissue computational closureR Cottam
The Evolutionary Processing Group EVOL, Laboratory for Micro and Opto Electronics LAMI, VUB Division of the Inter University Micro Electronics Center IMEC, The University of Brussels VUB, Pleinlaan 2, 1050, Brussels, Belgium
Biosystems 55:159-71. 2000..We present an evolutionary model of the relationship between autonomy and dependence across scales, and describe the implications of its alternating complex-rational-complex nature...
- Preimplantation diagnosis for fragile X syndrome based on the detection of the non-expanded paternal and maternal CGGK Sermon
Centre for Medical Genetics, University Hospital and Medical School, Dutch Speaking Brussels Free University, Belgium
Prenat Diagn 19:1223-30. 1999..Our candidate-patient population, as well as two clinical preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) cycles which led to a pregnancy with an unaffected fetus, are presented in this paper...
- Listeria monocytogenes possesses adhesins for fibronectinP Gilot
Department of Virology, Pasteur Institute, Brussels, Belgium
Infect Immun 67:6698-701. 1999..The binding of L. monocytogenes to fibronectin adds to the number of molecules to which the bacterium is able to adhere and emphasizes the complexity of host-pathogen interactions...
- Pig heart fumarase contains two distinct substrate-binding sites differing in affinityS Beeckmans
Department of Protein Chemistry, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Paardenstraat 65, B 1640 Sint Genesius Rode, Belgium
J Biol Chem 273:31661-9. 1998..This spectrum is built up of two tryptophanyl triplets, the first one of which is modified upon saturating the active sites (A), and the second one upon saturating the low affinity binding sites (B)...
- Effect of BIBP3226 on inositol phosphate accumulation and cytosolic calcium level in control and NPY Y1 receptor expressing CHO-K1 cellsP M Vanderheyden
Department of Protein Chemistry, Free University of Brussels VUB, Sint Genesius Rode, Belgium
Regul Pept 75:191-9. 1998..This effect of BIBP3226 is likely to be mediated by activation of an until now unknown receptor or cellular target that is endogeneously expressed in CHO-K1 cells...
- Pseudoangiomatous hyperplasia of mammary stroma in an HIV patientN de Saint Aubain Somerhausen
Department of Pathology, Institut Jules Bordet, Bruxelles, Belgium
Gen Diagn Pathol 143:251-4. 1997..We give a review of the literature and report a case unusual in that it occurred in a clinical setting of HIV infection, was rapidly growing, and has been the largest described so far...
- A comparison of the stage-specific efficacy of chloroquine, artemether and dioncophylline B against the rodent malaria parasite Plasmodium chabaudi chabaudi in vivoB Chimanuka
Vakgroep Farmaceutische Technologie en Fysische Farmacie, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Parasitol Res 87:795-803. 2001..Drug-induced changes in infected erythrocyte morphology are presented...
- The physician-patient relationship as a game of strategic information transmissionK De Jaegher
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Health Econ 10:651-68. 2001..This equilibrium allows us to derive comparative statistics and welfare results...
- Rapid detection of macroprolactin in the form of prolactin-immunoglobulin G complexes by immunoprecipitation with anti-human IgG-agaroseJ Schiettecatte
Laboratory of Radioimmunology, University Hospital, Brussels Free University Dutch speaking, Belgium
Clin Chem Lab Med 39:1244-8. 2001....
- Don't always trust the guide!M Fried
Department of Gastroenterology, Academic Hospital, Free University of Brussels VUB, Brussels, Belgium
Endoscopy 36:574. 2004
- Oocyte developmental competence after heterotopic transplantation of cryopreserved ovarian tissueJohan Smitz
Follicle Biology Laboratory, Centre for Reproductive Medicine, Vrije Universiteit Brussels, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Lancet 363:832-3. 2004
- Ab initio study of the binding of Trichostatin A (TSA) in the active site of histone deacetylase like protein (HDLP)Kenno Vanommeslaeghe
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Organic Chemistry Group, Pleinlaan 2, B 1050 Brussel, Belgium
Org Biomol Chem 1:2951-7. 2003..However, in the empty protonated active site, this proton transfer does occur...
- New Belgian law on research on human embryos: trust in progress through medical scienceG Pennings
Department of Philosophy, Free University Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
J Assist Reprod Genet 20:343-6. 2003..In general, the law expresses a belief in the importance of freedom of research and the acceptance of ethical pluralism in society...
- Shear-flow-based chromatographic separations as an alternative to pressure-driven liquid chromatographyG Desmet
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Department of Chemical Engineering, Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
J Chromatogr A 948:19-34. 2002....
- Delayed in vivo disease progression is associated with high proportions of CD45+ myeloma cells in the 5T2MM murine modelKewal Asosingh
Department of Hematology and Immunology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel VUB, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Cancer Res 63:3019-20. 2003..These animals had typically a bowed back and never got paralyzed. The MM cells in the BM of these mice were predominantly CD45(+). These data indicate that CD45 subsets are associated with the final outcome of myeloma disease...
- Ribonucleases: from prototypes to therapeutic targets?Stefan Loverix
Vlaams Interuniversitair Instituut Biotechnologie VIB, Instituut voor Moleculaire Biologie, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussel, Belgium
Curr Med Chem 10:779-85. 2003..This review focuses on these chemical and structural features of RNase A and RNase T(1), the best characterized members of two separate classes of ribonucleases...
- Crystal structure of Pterocarpus angolensis lectin in complex with glucose, sucrose, and turanoseRemy Loris
Laboratorium voor Ultrastructuur, Instituut voor Moleculaire Biologie, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan 2, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
J Biol Chem 278:16297-303. 2003..In the turanose complex, the binding site of the first molecule in the asymmetric unit contains the alphaGlc1-3betaFruf form of furanose while the second molecule contains the alphaGlc1-3betaFrup form in its binding site...
- Developmental outcome at 2 years of age for children born after ICSI compared with children born after IVFM Bonduelle
Centre for Medical Genetics, Department of Developmental Psychology, Dutch Speaking Brussels Free University, Brussels, Belgium
Hum Reprod 18:342-50. 2003..Hence, this outcome was assessed by performing a standard developmental test on children born after ICSI as compared with children born after IVF, at the age of 2 years...
- Obstetric outcome after fetal reduction to singleton pregnanciesL De Catte
Unit of Feto Maternal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Prenat Diagn 22:206-10. 2002..To study the outcome after fetal reduction or selective termination to singleton pregnancies for various indications...
- Influence of the physiological changes of gastric emptying on the simplified single sample 14 C-urea breath testF Mana
Department of Gastroenterology, Free University of Brussels, Jette, Belgium
Nucl Med Commun 23:171-4. 2002..It is concluded that the physiological changes of gastric emptying do not influence the results obtained by the simplified, single-sample 14C-urea breath test...
- Formation of angiotensin-(1-7) from angiotensin II by the venom of Conus geographusMinh Tam Le
Department of Molecular and Biochemical Pharmacology, Institute for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Free University of Brussels VUB, Paardenstraat 65, B 1640 Sint Genesius Rode, Belgium
Regul Pept 105:101-8. 2002..The molecular weight of the involved peptidases exceeds 50 kDa, as determined by gel chromatography and ultrafitration...
- Control of experimental Trypanosoma brucei infections occurs independently of lymphotoxin-alpha inductionS Magez
Department of Immunology, Parasitology and Ultrastructure, Vlaams Interuniversitair Instituut voor Biotechnologie, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Paardenstraat 65, B 1640 Sint Genesius Rode, Belgium
Infect Immun 70:1342-51. 2002....
- A structure of the complex between concanavalin A and methyl-3,6-di-O-(alpha-D-mannopyranosyl)-alpha-D-mannopyranoside reveals two binding modesR Loris
Laboratorium voor Ultrastruktuur, Vlaams Interuniversitair Instituut voor Biotechnologie, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Paardenstraat 65, B 1640 Sint Genesius Rode, Belgium
J Biol Chem 271:30614-8. 1996....