Affiliation: University Hospital Antwerp
- Hepatitis C: screening, treatment and prevention practical guidelinesP Michielsen
Department of Hepatogastroenterology, University Hospital Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, 2650 Edegem
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 66:15-9. 2003
- Treatment of chronic hepatitis C in patients with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) with weekly peginterferon alpha-2b plus ribavirin: a multi-centred Belgian studyP Michielsen
Division of Hepatogastroenterology, University Hospital Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 72:389-93. 2009..We report the results of a multi-centred Belgian study evaluating efficacy and safety of peginterferon alpha-2b plus ribavirin in HIV-HCV co-infected patients without AIDS and without decompensated liver disease...
- Immunological mechanisms in the pathophysiology of non-alcoholic steatohepatitisLuisa Vonghia
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, Edegem 2650, Belgium
Int J Mol Sci 14:19867-90. 2013..This review focuses on the disturbances of the cells constituting the innate and adaptive immune system in the liver and in adipose tissue. ..
- Viral hepatitis and hepatocellular carcinomaPeter P Michielsen
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium
World J Surg Oncol 3:27. 2005..There is a rising incidence in HCC in developed countries during the last two decades, due to the increasing rate of hepatitis C infection and improvement of the clinical management of cirrhosis...
- Does antiviral therapy reduce the risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with chronic hepatitis C?P Michielsen
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Minerva Gastroenterol Dietol 58:65-79. 2012..Further prospective studies using the more successful emerging treatments of chronic hepatitis C are to be conducted to evaluate the risk of HCC...
- Viral hepatitis B and hepatocellular carcinomaP Michielsen
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 74:4-8. 2011..With more potent antiviral drugs currently available (entecavir, tenofovir), long-term HBV DNA suppression is now possible with very low risk of drug resistance...
- Liver diseases in the older adultP Michielsen
Division of Hepatogastroenterology, University Hospital Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 73:1-4. 2010..Comprehensive geriatric assessment should be part of the preliminary evaluation of the older patient with liver disease...
- Treatment of hepatitis C: impact on the virus, quality of life and the natural historyP Michielsen
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital of Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, B 2650 Edegem, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 65:90-4. 2002..Recent data suggest that early interferon alpha treatment of patients with acute hepatitis C largely prevents the development of chronicity...
- Therapy of chronic hepatitis C in the setting of HIV co-infectionP Michielsen
University Hospital Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, B 2650 Edegem
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 68:86-91. 2005..Similar predictive factors determine the success rate. The effect of prolonging therapy to 12 months in genotype 2/3 and to 18 months in early viral responders with genotypes 1/4 needs to be assessed in further studies...
- A gene variant of PNPLA3, but not of APOC3, is associated with histological parameters of NAFLD in an obese populationA Verrijken
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Metabolism, Antwerp University Hospital, University of Antwerp, Belgium
Obesity (Silver Spring) 21:2138-45. 2013..We studied the association between the genes patatin-like phospholipase domain-containing protein 3 (PNPLA3) and apolipoprotein C3 (APOC3) and metabolic and histological parameters of NAFLD in obese patients...
- Coinfection of hepatitis B and hepatitis delta virus in Belgium: a multicenter BASL study. Prospective epidemiology and comparison with HBV mono-infectionE Ho
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Laboratory Medicine Microbiology, Antwerp University Hospital, Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
J Med Virol 85:1513-7. 2013..6% (6/44) of the patients that were coinfected HBV and HDV were also infected with HCV. In conclusion, this study provided much needed epidemiological data on the current state of HDV infection in Belgium...
- The influence of laboratory-induced MELD score differences on liver allocation: more reality than mythJ N Schouten
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Clin Transplant 26:E62-70. 2012..Liver allocation in Eurotransplant (ET) is based on the MELD score. Interlaboratory MELD score differences in INR and creatinine determination have been reported. The clinical implication of this observation has not been demonstrated...
- Visceral adiposity and insulin resistance are independent predictors of the presence of non-cirrhotic NAFLD-related portal hypertensionS Francque
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Antwerp University Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium
Int J Obes (Lond) 35:270-8. 2011..As assessment of portal pressure is an invasive procedure, non-invasive parameters are needed to identify patients at risk...
- Abdominal ultrasonography by the hepato-gastroenterologist: problems, demands, solutionsM Adler
Division of Hepatogastroenterology, Hôpital Erasme ULB, Brussels, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 74:67-9. 2011..Trainees in hepatogastroenterology should acquire the same theoretical and practical training as radiologists, they should be taught and supervised by competent instructors and have their expertise evaluated...
- The management of patients with mild hepatitis CC Verslype
Department of Hepatology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 68:314-8. 2005..Overall, the decision to initiate therapy should be individualized and based on the severity of the disease by liver biopsy, the potential of serious side effects, the probability of response and the motivation of the patient...
- Daily induction combination treatment with alpha 2b interferon and ribavirin or standard combination treatment in naive chronic hepatitis C patients. A multicentre randomized controlled trialH Van Vlierberghe
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
J Viral Hepat 10:460-6. 2003..Although an early virological response is observed more frequently in the induction treatment, end of treatment response and sustained responses did not differ...
- Guidelines for the management of chronic hepatitis C in patients infected after substance useG Robaeys
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Ziekenhuis Oost Limburg, Genk, Schiepse Bos, 6, B 3600 Genk, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 68:38-45. 2005
- A pilot observational survey of hepatitis C in BelgiumS De Maeght
CH Jolimont, Haine Saint Paul
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 71:4-8. 2008..There is a lack of epidemiological data on hepatitis C (HCV) infected patients in Belgium. Therefore our purpose was to address this important question and to evaluate the feasibility of a national HCV observatory...
- Management and treatment of chronic hepatitis B virus: Belgian Association for the Study of the Liver (BASL) 2007 guidelinesI Colle
Department of Hepatology and Gastroenterology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, De Pintelaan 185, 9000 Gent, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 70:389-420. 2007
- The HepCar registry: report on a one-year registration program of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) in Belgium. What is daily practice in HCC?H Van Vlierberghe
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Ghent University Hospital, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 68:403-11. 2005..The HepCar registry is an initiative in which patients with hepatocellular carcinoma, their treatment and follow up are registered...
- HCV day: conclusions and requests of the Belgian Association for the Study of the LiverR Brenard
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 65:119. 2002