Affiliation: University Hospital Antwerp
- Antimicrobial susceptibilities of Neisseria gonorrhoeae strains isolated in Java, IndonesiaMargareta Ieven
Department of Medical Microbiology, University Hospital Antwerp, UIA, Antwerp, Belgium
Sex Transm Dis 30:25-9. 2003..Despite the rapid spread of antibiotic resistance in gonococci all over Southeast Asia, there is only limited surveillance for antibiotic susceptibility in Indonesia...
- Currently used nucleic acid amplification tests for the detection of viruses and atypicals in acute respiratory infectionsMargareta Ieven
Laboratory for Microbiology, Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute VIDI, University Hospital Antwerp, University of Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, B 2650 Edegem, Belgium
J Clin Virol 40:259-76. 2007..When implementing a strategy, a compromise between sensitivity, clinical utility, turn around time and cost will have to be found...
- Continuous infusion of antibiotics in the critically ill: The new holy grail for beta-lactams and vancomycin?Bruno Van Herendael
Department of Microbiology, Antwerp University Hospital, Edegem, Belgium
Ann Intensive Care 2:22. 2012..For vancomycin CI can be chosen, not always for better clinical efficacy, but because it is practical, cheaper, associated with less AUC24h (area under the curve >24 h)-variability, and easier to monitor...
- European quality clearance of new microbiological diagnosticsM Ieven
Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Clin Microbiol Infect 19:29-38. 2013..Vigilance in test quality assessment and legal simplification are important key concepts warranting selective use of those diagnostic tests that comply with the highest quality standards...
- Involvement of Chlamydia pneumoniae in atherosclerosis: more evidence for lack of evidenceMargareta M Ieven
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Antwerp UA, B2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
J Clin Microbiol 43:19-24. 2005
- Sensitivity of detection of rhinoviruses in spiked clinical samples by nucleic acid sequence-based amplification in the presence of an internal controlKatherine Loens
Microbiology Centre for Molecular Diagnostics, University Hospital Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, B 2650 Edegem, Belgium
J Microbiol Methods 66:73-8. 2006..NASBA allows a sensitive detection of RV RNA in spiked respiratory specimens in the presence of an internal control...
- Evaluation of chromogenic media for detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusSurbhi Malhotra-Kumar
Department of Medical Microbiology, Campus Drie Eiken, University of Antwerp, S3, Universiteitsplein 1, B 2610 Wilrijk, Antwerp, Belgium
J Clin Microbiol 48:1040-6. 2010..In conclusion, BBL-CHROMagar and CHROMagar gave the best overall results for detection of MRSA, irrespective of the sample concentration, investigator, or incubation period...
- Number of sites of perinatal Candida colonization and neutropenia are associated with nosocomial candidemia in the neonatal intensive care unit patientLudo M Mahieu
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, Antwerp University Hospital, Belgium
Pediatr Crit Care Med 11:240-5. 2010..To determine the role of perinatally acquired Candida colonization to invasive Candida infection (candidemia) and to assess risk factors associated with Candida colonization and candidemia in neonatal intensive care unit patients...
- Immunohistostaining assays for detection of Chlamydia pneumoniae in atherosclerotic arteries indicate cross-reactions with nonchlamydial plaque constituentsVicky Y Hoymans
Department of Cardiology, University of Antwerp UA, B 2650 Antwerp, Belgium
J Clin Microbiol 42:3219-24. 2004..On the basis of the results of the present study, there are no arguments for an etiologic role of C. pneumoniae in atherosclerosis...
- Implications of antibodies to heat-shock proteins in ischemic heart diseaseVicky Y Hoymans
Department of Cardiology, Antwerp University, Belgium
Int J Cardiol 123:277-82. 2008..We have here evaluated the hypothesis that C. pneumoniae contributes to atherosclerotic disease progression via anti-HSP antibodies...
- Chlamydia pneumoniae-based atherosclerosis: a smoking gunVicky Y Hoymans
Department of Cardiology, Centre for Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine, University Hospital Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
Acta Cardiol 62:565-71. 2007..At present, there are no indications for antibiotic treatment targeted at Chlamydia pneumoniae in the management of atherosclerosis...
- Comparison of three Legionella urinary antigen assays during an outbreak of legionellosis in BelgiumKristien Dirven
Laboratory of Medical Microbiology, University of Antwerp UA, Wilrijk, Belgium
J Med Microbiol 54:1213-6. 2005....
- Herpes simplex virus in the respiratory tract of critical care patients: a prospective studyPeggy Bruynseels
Department of Microbiology, University Hospital of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Lancet 362:1536-41. 2003..We did a prospective cohort study to define the prevalence, origin, risk factors, and clinical relevance of HSV in the respiratory tract of patients undergoing critical care...
- Whole genome mapping as a fast-track tool to assess genomic stability of sequenced Staphylococcus aureus strainsJulia S Sabirova
Department of Medical Microbiology, Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute, Universiteit Antwerpen, Antwerp, Belgium
BMC Res Notes 7:704. 2014..We employed WGM to assess the genomic stability of previously sequenced Staphylococcus aureus strains that are commonly used in laboratories as reference standards...
- Is acyclovir effective among critically ill patients with herpes simplex in the respiratory tract?Stephanie Traen
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Antwerp University Hospital UZA, University of Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
J Clin Virol 60:215-21. 2014..Therefore, it is uncertain whether treatment with an antiviral agent could be beneficial for these patients...
- Detection of Mycoplasma pneumoniae in respiratory samples by real-time PCR using an inhibition controlDominique Ursi
Laboratory for Microbiology, University Hospital Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, B 2650 Edegem, Antwerp, Belgium
J Microbiol Methods 55:149-53. 2003..There was 100% agreement between the assays, but the real-time PCR proved to be highly superior in speed with a much lower risk of false positives by laboratory contamination...
- Cellular Interferon Gamma and Granzyme B Responses to Cytomegalovirus-pp65 and Influenza N1 Are Positively Associated in ElderlyHeidi Theeten
1 Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Center for the Evaluation of Vaccination, Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Viral Immunol 29:169-75. 2016..These findings stress the need to continue exploring the possible role of CMV in immunosenescence. ..
- Induction of cytomegalovirus-specific T cell responses in healthy volunteers and allogeneic stem cell recipients using vaccination with messenger RNA-transfected dendritic cellsAmaryllis H Van Craenenbroeck
1 Department of Nephrology Hypertension, Antwerp University Hospital, Edegem, Belgium 2 Laboratory of Experimental Medicine and Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium 3 Laboratory of Experimental Hematology, Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute VAXINFECTIO, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium 4 Center for Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine, Antwerp University Hospital, Edegem, Belgium 5 Department of Hematology, Antwerp University Hospital, Edegem, Belgium 6 Centre for the Evaluation of Vaccination CEV, Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute VAXINFECTIO, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium 7 Department of Microbiology, Antwerp University Hospital, Edegem, Belgium
Transplantation 99:120-7. 2015..Infection with human cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a significant cause of morbidity and mortality in solid organ and hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT) recipients...
- Central nervous system invasion by community-acquired meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusReinout Naesens
Laboratory of Medical Microbiology, GZA Hospitals, Antwerp, Belgium
J Med Microbiol 58:1247-51. 2009..Although, in our review of the literature patients treated with linezolid had a better outcome compared to patients treated with vancomycin, the latter is still the mainstay of therapy for CNS infections associated with MRSA...
- Current trends in rapid diagnostics for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and glycopeptide-resistant enterococcus speciesSurbhi Malhotra-Kumar
Department of Medical Microbiology, Campus Drie Eiken, University of Antwerp, S3, Universiteitsplein 1, B 2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
J Clin Microbiol 46:1577-87. 2008
- Systemic inflammation, Chlamydia pneumoniae DNA in circulating leukocytes and coronary atherosclerosisVicky Hoymans
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
Acta Cardiol 57:213-9. 2002..pneumoniae DNA in circulating white blood cells of patients with ischaemic heart disease and to correlate these findings with the extent of coronary atherosclerosis and serum markers of inflammation...
- Early carotid atherosclerosis and Chlamydia pneumoniae seropositivity: are there arguments to treat with antibiotics?Margareta M Ieven
Circulation 110:e74-5; author reply e74-5. 2004
- Autoimmune gastropathy in type 1 diabetic patients with parietal cell antibodies: histological and clinical findingsChristophe E M De Block
Department of Endocrinology Diabetology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Antwerp, University Hospital Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
Diabetes Care 26:82-8. 2003..We examined whether iron deficiency anemia, pernicious anemia, and autoimmune gastritis, which may predispose to gastric tumors, were more frequent in PCA+ than in PCA- patients...