Affiliation: University Hospital Antwerp
- Urinary phthalate metabolites are associated with insulin resistance in obese subjectsEveline Dirinck
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Metabolism, Antwerp University Hospital, Edegem, Belgium, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium Electronic address
Environ Res 137:419-23. 2015..After adjustment for age, physical activity level, smoking behavior, medication use and body mass index, several phthalate metabolites were linked to markers of glucose tolerance and insulin resistance. ..
- Obesity and persistent organic pollutants: possible obesogenic effect of organochlorine pesticides and polychlorinated biphenylsEveline Dirinck
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Clinical Pharmacology, Antwerp University Hospital and University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Obesity (Silver Spring) 19:709-14. 2011..Combined, these results suggest that the diabetogenic effect of low-dose exposure to POPs might be more complicated than a simple obesogenic effect...
- Phthalate metabolites in obese individuals undergoing weight loss: Urinary levels and estimation of the phthalates daily intakeAlin C Dirtu
Toxicological Centre, University of Antwerp, Wilrijk, Antwerp, Belgium
Environ Int 59:344-53. 2013....
- Distribution of persistent organic pollutants in two different fat compartments from obese individualsGovindan Malarvannan
Toxicological Centre, University of Antwerp, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
Environ Int 55:33-42. 2013..To our knowledge, this study is the first to assess the relationship between POP levels in adipose tissue and markers of abdominal adiposity, determined by CT...
- Expression of obesity markers and Persistent Organic Pollutants levels in adipose tissue of obese patients: reinforcing the obesogen hypothesis?Anna Pereira-Fernandes
Systemic Physiological and Ecotoxicological Research SPHERE, Department of Biology, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
PLoS ONE 9:e84816. 2014..Therefore, it is important to evaluate their effects on key endocrine pathways in adipose tissue (AT), to further evaluate their potential role in metabolic pathologies such as obesity...
- Dynamics of organohalogenated contaminants in human serum from obese individuals during one year of weight loss treatmentAlin C Dirtu
Toxicological Centre, University of Antwerp, Wilrijk Antwerp, Belgium
Environ Sci Technol 47:12441-9. 2013..Although weight loss is beneficial, it also influences the release of OHCs from adipose tissue and their metabolism. Therefore, the increase in the levels of compounds with endocrine effects might be of concern. ..
- Daily intake of bisphenol A and triclosan and their association with anthropometric data, thyroid hormones and weight loss in overweight and obese individualsTinne Geens
Toxicological Centre, University of Antwerp, 2610 Wilrijk, Antwerp, Belgium
Environ Int 76:98-105. 2015....
- Considerable exposure to the endocrine disrupting chemicals phthalates and bisphenol-A in intensive care unit (ICU) patientsJohan Huygh
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Antwerp University Hospital, University of Antwerp, Belgium
Environ Int 81:64-72. 2015..Because patient safety is a concern in the ICU, further research into the (possibly toxic and clinical) effects of these chemicals released from medical devices is imperiously necessary...
- Fasting-based estimates of insulin sensitivity in overweight and obesity: a critical appraisalJohannes B Ruige
Department of Diabetology, Metabolism and Clinical Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine, University Hospital Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, B 2650 Edegem, Antwerp, Belgium
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:1250-6. 2006..To identify simple methods to estimate the degree of insulin resistance...