Marc J Claeys
Affiliation: University of Antwerp
- Comparison of turbidimetric aggregation and in vitro bleeding time (PFA-100) for monitoring the platelet inhibitory profile of antiplatelet agents in patients undergoing stent implantationMarc G Van der Planken
Laboratory of Hematology and Hemostasis, Department of Clinical Pathology, University Hospital Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, 2650, Edegem, Belgium
Thromb Res 111:159-64. 2003..Whether such a short-term superiority of abciximab, as compared to loading dose clopidogrel, translates into an overall clinical benefit of thombotic and bleeding complications remains to be established in a randomized clinical trial...
- Inter-hospital variation in length of hospital stay after ST-elevation myocardial infarction: results from the Belgian STEMI registryMarc J Claeys
University Hospital Antwerp, Department of Cardiology, Edegem, Belgium
Acta Cardiol 68:235-9. 2013..The aim of this paper was to assess the determinants of and variations in length of hospital stay (LOS) in Belgium after ST-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI)...
- Contemporary mortality differences between primary percutaneous coronary intervention and thrombolysis in ST-segment elevation myocardial infarctionMarc J Claeys
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital Antwerp, Wilrijkstr 10 2650 Edegem, Belgium
Arch Intern Med 171:544-9. 2011..Modern thrombolysis may affect the previously observed mortality difference between primary percutaneous coronary intervention (PPCI) and thrombolysis...
- Does pre-treatment with aspirin and loading dose clopidogrel obviate the need for glycoprotein IIb/IIIa antagonists during elective coronary stenting? A focus on peri-procedural myonecrosisMarc J Claeys
Department of Cardiology, Antwerp University Hospital, Wilrijkstraat 10, B 2650 Edegem, Belgium
Eur Heart J 26:567-75. 2005..Whether further inhibition of platelet aggregation by a glycoprotein IIb/IIIa antagonist may provide an additional cardioprotection is unknown...
- Short-term effect of atorvastatin on ischaemic threshold in hypercholesterolaemic patients with stable ischaemic heart diseaseMarc J Claeys
Cardiology, Hospital Brain l Alleud, Rue Wayez 35, 1420 Brain l Alleud, Belgium
Acta Cardiol 59:269-74. 2004..This study was designed to determine the effect of 4 weeks' treatment with 80 mg atorvastatin daily on exercise-induced ischaemia in patients with stable ischaemic heart disease (IHD) receiving standard anti-anginal drug therapy...
- Effect of intracoronary adenosine infusion during coronary intervention on myocardial reperfusion injury in patients with acute myocardial infarctionMarc J Claeys
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital Antwerp, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Am J Cardiol 94:9-13. 2004..Adjunctive therapy with intracoronary infusion of adenosine during PCI prevents the occurrence of severe myocardial reperfusion injury and is associated with less infarct expansion...
- Reperfusion therapy and mortality in octogenarian STEMI patients: results from the Belgian STEMI registryEls H Vandecasteele
Department of Cardiology, Ghent University Hospital, De Pintelaan 185, 9000, Ghent, Belgium
Clin Res Cardiol 102:837-45. 2013..With increasing lifetime expectancy, the proportion of octogenarians will substantially increase. We aimed to evaluate whether the benefit of currently recommended reperfusion strategies is maintained in octogenarians...
- Levels of circulating CD34+/KDR+ cells do not predict coronary in-stent restenosisSteven E Haine
Department of Cardiology, Antwerp University Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium Department of Cardiology, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium Electronic address
Can J Cardiol 30:102-8. 2014..Bioengineered stents capturing CD34(+) cells also show expedited re-endothelialization. We examined whether circulating CD34(+)/KDR(+) cell counts can be used to predict restenosis in a bare-metal stent (BMS)...
- Clinical relevance of clopidogrel unresponsiveness during elective coronary stenting: experience with the point-of-care platelet function assay-100 C/ADPCatherine M Moerenhout
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital of Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
Am Heart J 159:434-8. 2010..Early identification of nonresponders to clopidogrel may be important in identifying subgroups of patients that might be at risk for future thrombotic events...
- Transesophageal echocardiography for cardiac thromboembolic risk assessment in patients with severe, symptomatic aortic valve stenosis referred for potential transcatheter aortic valve implantationGuy D Lenders
Department of Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery, University Hospital Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
Am J Cardiol 111:1470-4. 2013..Systematic thromboembolic evaluation using transesophageal echocardiography is thus recommended in patients referred for TAVI...
- Gender, TIMI risk score and in-hospital mortality in STEMI patients undergoing primary PCI: results from the Belgian STEMI registrySofie A Gevaert
Department of Cardiology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
EuroIntervention 9:1095-101. 2014..Here, we compared in-hospital mortality and predictive performance of the TIMI risk score between Belgian women and men undergoing pPCI...
- Renal dysfunction in STEMI-patients undergoing primary angioplasty: higher prevalence but equal prognostic impact in female patients; an observational cohort study from the Belgian STEMI registrySofie A Gevaert
Department of Cardiology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
BMC Nephrol 14:62. 2013..We examined gender differences in the prevalence and prognostic performance of renal dysfunction at admission in this setting...
- TIMI risk score underestimates prognosis in unstable angina/non-ST segment elevation myocardial infarctionAnne Vorlat
University Hospital Antwerp, Belgium
Acute Card Care 10:26-9. 2008..To determine the value of the TIMI risk score in the individual risk stratification of patients with unstable angina/non-ST segment elevation myocardial infarction (UA/NSTEMI)...
- Donor B-type natriuretic peptide predicts early cardiac performance after heart transplantationAnne Vorlat
Department of Cardiology, Antwerp University Hospital, University of Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, Wilrijk, Belgium
J Heart Lung Transplant 31:579-84. 2012..We measured B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) in heart donors and analyzed its value as a discriminator for early post-transplant cardiac performance...
- Effect of folic acid on endothelial function following acute myocardial infarctionAn L Moens
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Am J Cardiol 99:476-81. 2007..Folic acid can be recommended to improve postinfarction endothelial dysfunction in patients with normo- and hyperhomocysteinemia...
- The determinants of B-type natriuretic peptide release in acute, non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarctionAnne Vorlat
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Cardiol 66:281-5. 2011..B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) is used to predict the clinical outcome of acute coronary syndromes, even in the absence of signs of cardiac failure. The triggers for BNP release have yet to be identified...
- Usefulness of early rule-in and rule-out biomarker protocols to estimate ischemia-induced myocardial injury in early chest pain presentersAnne Vorlat
Department of Cardiology, Antwerp University Hospital, Edegem, Belgium Electronic address
Am J Cardiol 115:1667-71. 2015..In conclusion, in early presenters, rapid biomarker protocols underestimate MI. A standard biomarker assessment after 3 hours is required to adequately rule-in or rule-out myonecrosis. ..
- Cost-effectiveness of contemporary vascular closure devices for the prevention of vascular complications after percutaneous coronary interventions in an all-comers PCI populationSteven Kerré
Department of Cardiology, Antwerp University Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium
EuroIntervention 10:191-7. 2014....
- Systemic inflammation and reperfusion injury in patients with acute myocardial infarctionFien Blancke
Department of Cardiology, Antwerp University Hospital, University of Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
Mediators Inflamm 2005:385-9. 2005..Our findings suggest that TNF-alpha is involved in the triggering and/or amplification of local inflammatory responses related to ischemia-reperfusion injury...
- B-type natriuretic peptide and assessment of jeopardised myocardium in acute myocardial infarctionAnne Vorlat
Department of Cardiology, Antwerp University Hospital, Belgium
Int J Cardiol 114:46-9. 2007..B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) is used as prognostic marker in acute coronary syndromes. It is unknown whether BNP reflects the amount of jeopardised myocardium in the initial phase of acute ST-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI)...
- Quantitative coronary arteriography on digital flat-panel systemPaul L Van Herck
Department of Cardiology, Antwerp University Hospital, Edegem, Belgium
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 63:192-200. 2004..001) and could only give values up to 70% for diameter stenosis. In conclusion, the FPAS can be considered more appropriate for assessing severe stenoses on digital flat-panel images...
- Depressed expression of MuRF1 and MAFbx in areas remote of recent myocardial infarction: a mechanism contributing to myocardial remodeling?Viviane M Conraads
Department of Cardiology, Antwerp University Hospital, Wilrijkstraat 10, 2650 Edegem, Belgium
Basic Res Cardiol 105:219-26. 2010..Reduced expression of MuRF1 and MAFbx in the myocardium might permit hypertrophy, which is supported by the elevation of troponin I. A regulatory role of TNF-alpha needs to be confirmed in further experiments...
- Antiplatelet therapy for elective coronary stenting: a moving targetMarc J Claeys
Division of Cardiology, Antwerp University Hospital, Wilrijkstraat 10, B 2650 Edegem, Belgium
Semin Vasc Med 3:415-8. 2003....
- Adiponectin and ischemia-reperfusion injury in ST segment elevation myocardial infarctionLynn De Roeck
Antwerp University Hospital, Department of Cardiology, Belgium
Eur Heart J Acute Cardiovasc Care 5:71-6. 2016..However, the role of adiponectin in IR injury in humans is largely unknown...
- Management of cardiogenic shock complicating acute myocardial infarctionJozef L Van Herck
Department of Intensive Care Medicine and Cardiology, Antwerp University Hospital, University of Antwerp, Belgium
Eur Heart J Acute Cardiovasc Care 4:278-97. 2015..This review summarizes the available literature concerning the management of cardiogenic shock and gives an overview of the recommendations of the European and German-Austrian guidelines on cardiogenic shock. ..
- Difference in clinical target lesion revascularization between a silicon carbide-coated and an uncoated thin strut bare-metal stent: the PRO-Vision studySteven E Haine
Department of Cardiology, Antwerp University Hospital, Edegem Antwerp, Belgium
Can J Cardiol 29:1090-6. 2013..Silicon carbide (SiC) coating shields the metal from circulating blood and vessel wall, both potential sources of neointima smooth muscle cells...
- Alternative access in transcatheter aortic valve implantation: brachiocephalic artery accessTine E Philipsen
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Antwerp University Hospital, Edegem, Belgium
Innovations (Phila) 7:372-5. 2012..No procedural or late complications were seen. If transfemoral, subclavian, and direct aortic accesses for TAVI are contraindicated, the direct brachiocephalic access seems to be a safe and feasible alternative...
- Comparison of magnetic resonance imaging of aortic valve stenosis and aortic root to multimodality imaging for selection of transcatheter aortic valve implantation candidatesBernard P Paelinck
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium
Am J Cardiol 108:92-8. 2011..MRI and TEE provided similar and essential assessment of the aortic valve annulus dimensions, especially at the limits of the transcatheter aortic valve implantation range...
- Influence of ionic and non-ionic radiographic contrast media on leukocyte adhesion moleculesGuy L J Vermeiren
Department of Intensive Care, University Hospital of Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, B 2650 Edegem, Belgium
Mediators Inflamm 12:269-75. 2003..Most of the clinical studies measured several parameters of this process during and after coronary angiography, without taking into account the effect of the radiographic contrast media (RCM) used during this procedure...
- Flow-mediated vasodilation: a diagnostic instrument, or an experimental tool?An L Moens
Department of Cardiology, University of Antwerp, University Hospital of Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, 2650 Antwerp, Belgium
Chest 127:2254-63. 2005..In this review article, the pathophysiology of FMD, based on reactive hyperemia, is extensively discussed. Furthermore, an overview is given of the actual clinical indications of FMD measurement...
- Addition of clopidogrel to aspirin and fibrinolytic therapy for myocardial infarction with ST-segment elevationMarc S Sabatine
TIMI Study Group, Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 352:1179-89. 2005....
- High-dose folic acid pretreatment blunts cardiac dysfunction during ischemia coupled to maintenance of high-energy phosphates and reduces postreperfusion injuryAn L Moens
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Division of Cardiology, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Circulation 117:1810-9. 2008..Here, we tested whether FA reduces myocardial ischemic dysfunction and postreperfusion injury...