Affiliation: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- Isolated IgG3 deficiency in children: to treat or not to treat? Case presentation and review of the literatureIsabelle Meyts
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Leuven, Herestraat 49, Leuven, Belgium
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 17:544-50. 2006..The currently available literature on IgG3 deficiency is reviewed with specific emphasis on the peculiarities of the IgG3 subclass, the clinical relevance of IgG3 deficiency as well as the therapeutic options...
- Unusual and severe disease course in a child with ataxia-telangiectasiaIsabelle Meyts
University Hospital Gasthuisberg Leuven, Pediatric Department, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 14:330-3. 2003..At the age of 26 months she developed persistent fever, progressive lymphadenopathy and pulmonary nodular infiltrates, which were responsive to steroid therapy...
- Innate and adaptive interleukin-17-producing lymphocytes in chronic inflammatory lung disordersBart M Vanaudenaerde
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Laboratory of Pneumology, Lung Transplantation Unit, 49 Herestraat, Leuven, Belgium
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183:977-86. 2011..More importantly, the IL-17 system allows us to speculate on new therapeutic opportunities. Some results have been previously reported in an abstract...
- Selective nasal allergen provocation induces substance P-mediated bronchial hyperresponsivenessGreet Hens
University Hospital Leuven, Division of Otorhinolaryngology, Kapucijnevoer 33, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 44:517-23. 2011..Nasal allergen provocation rapidly induces bronchial hyperresponsiveness via pulmonary up-regulation of SP and activation of NK1 receptors...
- Human memory B lymphocyte subsets fulfill distinct roles in the anti-polysaccharide and anti-protein immune responseLeen Moens
Experimental Laboratory Medicine, Department of Medical Diagnostic Sciences, Group Biomedical Sciences, Catholic University, Leuven, Belgium
J Immunol 181:5306-12. 2008..pneumoniae or soluble pneumococcal capsular polysaccharides. In conclusion, our findings provide evidence for a versatile role of IgM memory B cells in T-independent and T-dependent immune responses...
- PID in Disguise: Molecular Diagnosis of IRAK-4 Deficiency in an Adult Previously Misdiagnosed With Autosomal Dominant Hyper IgE SyndromeGlynis Frans
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Experimental Laboratory Immunology, KU Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000, Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Immunol 35:739-44. 2015..A panel-based sequencing approach led to the identification of a homozygous IRAK4 stop mutation (c.877C > T, p.Gln293*). ..
- Gain-of-function mutations in signal transducer and activator of transcription 1 (STAT1): chronic mucocutaneous candidiasis accompanied by enamel defects and delayed dental sheddingGlynis Frans
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Experimental Laboratory Immunology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Allergy Clin Immunol 134:1209-13.e6. 2014
- Laboratory diagnosis of specific antibody deficiency to pneumococcal capsular polysaccharide antigens by multiplexed bead assayHeleen Borgers
Experimental Laboratory Medicine, Department of Medical Diagnostic Sciences, Biomedical Sciences Group, Catholic University Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Clin Immunol 134:198-205. 2010..The XMAP pneumococcal immunity panel appears useful for identifying individuals with a low response to the unconjugated pneumococcal vaccine...
- Anti-Pneumococcal Capsular Polysaccharide Antibody Response and CD5 B Lymphocyte SubsetsLeen Moens
Experimental Laboratory Immunology, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Infect Immun 83:2889-96. 2015..Taken together, our data suggest that CD5 defines a functionally distinct population of B cells in humans in the anti-caps-PS immune response. ..
- Characterization of proposed human B-1 cells reveals pre-plasmablast phenotypeKris Covens
PharmAbs, The Katholieke Universiteit Leuven Antibody Centre, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Blood 121:5176-83. 2013..Our data offer perspectives for the investigation of differentiation of B cells into antibody secreting cells. ..
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation rescues the immunologic phenotype and prevents vasculopathy in patients with adenosine deaminase 2 deficiencyLien Van Eyck
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Autoimmune Genetics Laboratory, VIB and University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Allergy Clin Immunol 135:283-287.e5. 2015
- Addressing diagnostic challenges in primary immunodeficiencies: laboratory evaluation of Toll-like receptor- and NF-κB-mediated immune responsesGlynis Frans
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Experimental Laboratory Immunology, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci 51:112-23. 2014..In this article, we review the known defects of TLR- and NF-κB-mediated pathways and the assays that can be used to screen for such defects...
- Exhaled nitric oxide corresponds with office evaluation of asthma controlIsabelle Meyts
Pediatric Pulmonology Department, University Hospital Gasthuisberg Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Pediatr Pulmonol 36:283-9. 2003..These results suggest that ENO measurements may be useful for monitoring asthma patients...
- Primary ciliary dyskinesia and humoral immunodeficiency--is there a missing link?Mieke Boon
Department of Pediatrics, Pediatric Pulmonology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium Electronic address
Respir Med 108:931-4. 2014..Primary ciliary dyskinesia (PCD) and humoral mmunodeficiency (HID) are both rare disorders which cause recurrent upper and lower respiratory tract infections...
- Neuromyelitis optica-IgG+ optic neuritis associated with celiac disease and dysgammaglobulinemia: a role for tacrolimus?Isabelle Meyts
Pediatric Immune Deficiencies, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Paediatr Neurol 15:265-7. 2011..Treatment with tacrolimus was successful in preventing disease relapses. This case stresses the relevance of central nervous system anti-aquaporin-4 auto-immunity in a broader context of immune dysregulation and neuro-immunology...
- Coprescription of antibiotics and asthma drugs in childrenKris De Boeck
Department of Pediatric Pulmonology and Infectious Diseases, University Hospital of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Pediatrics 127:1022-6. 2011..In children, antibiotics as well as asthma drugs are frequently prescribed. We investigated the effects of the codispensing of antibiotics and asthma drugs to children...
- Exome and genome sequencing for inborn errors of immunityIsabelle Meyts
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Childhood Immunology, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospitals Leuven and KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium Electronic address
J Allergy Clin Immunol 138:957-969. 2016..Finding the needle in the haystack takes patience, prudence, and discernment...
- Diagnostic accuracy of nitric oxide measurements to detect primary ciliary dyskinesiaMieke Boon
Department of Pediatrics, Pediatric Pulmonology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Clin Invest 44:477-85. 2014..The test sensitivity is good, but specificity has not been studied widely. Therefore, we evaluated the diagnostic accuracy of low nNO to diagnose PCD in a large cohort, including healthy patients and different disease controls...
- Olmsted syndrome: exploration of the immunological phenotypeDina Danso-Abeam
Autoimmune Genetics Laboratory, VIB, Leuven, Belgium
Orphanet J Rare Dis 8:79. 2013..A recent study identified de novo mutations causing constitutive activation of TRPV3 as a cause of the keratotic manifestations of Olmsted syndrome...
- Misdiagnosis as asphyxiating thoracic dystrophy and CMV-associated haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis in Shwachman-Diamond syndromeHeidi Schaballie
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Pediatr 172:613-22. 2013..One patient developed hepatopulmonary syndrome. The findings in this national cohort of SDS patients could contribute to the prevention of misdiagnosis in the future and enable more rapid recognition of certain severe complications...
- Macrolide therapy targets a specific phenotype in respiratory medicine: from clinical experience to basic science and backBart M Vanaudenaerde
Laboratory of Pneumology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Herestraat 49, Leuven, Belgium
Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets 7:279-87. 2008....
- IL-12 contributes to allergen-induced airway inflammation in experimental asthmaIsabelle Meyts
Laboratory of Experimental Immunology, University Hospitals, Faculty of Medicine, Catholic University of Leuven, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Immunol 177:6460-70. 2006..IFN-gamma-producing cells or cells dependent on IFN-gamma activity, play a major role in this unexpected proinflammatory effect of IL-12 in allergic airway disease...
- Tidal off-line exhaled nitric oxide measurements in a pre-school populationIsabelle Meyts
Paediatric Pulmonology Department, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Pediatr 162:506-10. 2003..6+/-1.9 ppb; 95%CI 14.5-22.7 ppb; t-test P<0.0001). Mean tENO in 16 children with a single wheezing episode was 11.4+/-1.0 ppb (95%CI 9.2-13.6 ppb) and thus significantly different from the recurrent wheezing group (t-test P=0.0024)...
- Determination of IgG subclasses: a need for standardizationXavier Bossuyt
J Allergy Clin Immunol 115:872-4. 2005