Affiliation: Ghent University
- Pitfalls of Doppler Measurements for Arterial Blood Flow Quantification in Small Animal Research: A Study Based on Virtual Ultrasound ImagingAbigail Swillens
IBiTech bioMMeda, Department of Electronics and Information Systems, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium Electronic address
Ultrasound Med Biol 42:1399-411. 2016....
- Accuracy of carotid strain estimates from ultrasonic wall tracking: a study based on multiphysics simulations and in vivo dataAbigail Swillens
Institute of Biomedical Technology, Ghent University, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 31:131-9. 2012....
- Ultrasound simulation of complex flow velocity fields based on computational fluid dynamicsAbigail Swillens
Institute of Biomedical Technology, Ghent University, Belgium
IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control 56:546-56. 2009..The estimated flow velocities are in good agreement with the CFD reference, both for color flow imaging and pulsed-wave doppler simulations. The presented method can also be extended to include wall mechanics simulations in future work...
- Assessment of numerical simulation strategies for ultrasonic color blood flow imaging, based on a computer and experimental model of the carotid arteryAbigail Swillens
Institute Biomedical Technology, Ghent University, IBiTech bioMMeda, De Pintelaan 185, Ghent, Belgium
Ann Biomed Eng 37:2188-99. 2009..Results showed that during dynamic stages of the cardiac cycle, realistic ultrasound data can only be achieved when incorporating both the dynamic image formation and the measurement statistics into the simulations...
- Two-dimensional blood velocity estimation with ultrasound: speckle tracking versus crossed-beam vector Doppler based on flow simulations in a carotid bifurcation modelAbigail Swillens
Institute Biomedical Technology, University of Gent, Ghent, Belgium
IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control 57:327-39. 2010..Future work will entail in vitro and in vivo validation of these results...
- Two-dimensional flow imaging in the carotid bifurcation using a combined speckle tracking and phase-shift estimator: a study based on ultrasound simulations and in vivo analysisAbigail Swillens
IBiTech bioMMeda Ghent University, Gent, Belgium
Ultrasound Med Biol 36:1722-35. 2010..A marginal decrease in performance was observed when only tracking laterally. Further work will focus on in vivo trials in patients with carotid plaques...
- A simulation environment for validating ultrasonic blood flow and vessel wall imaging based on fluid-structure interaction simulations: ultrasonic assessment of arterial distension and wall shear rateAbigail Swillens
Institute Biomedical Technology, Ghent University, Belgium
Med Phys 37:4318-30. 2010....
- Comparison of non-invasive methods for measurement of local pulse wave velocity using FSI-simulations and in vivo dataAbigail Swillens
Institute Biomedical Technology, Biommeda, Ghent University, De Pintelaan185, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Ann Biomed Eng 41:1567-78. 2013..This in vivo study showed similar discrepancies between the 3 single-location techniques as present in the carotid simulations, with the difference between the PU- and ln(D)U-method related to the magnitude of wave reflection...
- Effect of the degree of LAD stenosis on "competitive flow" and flow field characteristics in LIMA-to-LAD bypass surgeryAbigail Swillens
IBiTech bioMMeda, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Med Biol Eng Comput 50:839-49. 2012....
- Assessment of shear stress related parameters in the carotid bifurcation using mouse-specific FSI simulationsDavid De Wilde
IBiTech bioMMeda, iMinds Medical IT, Ghent University, Gent, Belgium Electronic address
J Biomech 49:2135-42. 2016..In contrast to human carotid hemodynamics, no flow recirculation could be observed in the carotid bifurcation region. ..
- The accuracy of ultrasound volume flow measurements in the complex flow setting of a forearm vascular accessKoen Van Canneyt
IBiTech bioMMeda, Ghent University, Ghent Belgium
J Vasc Access 14:281-90. 2013..As pulsed wave Doppler (PWD) is commonly used to assess volume flow, we studied the accuracy of this measurement in the setting of a radio-cephalic AVF...
- Wave reflection leads to over- and underestimation of local wave speed by the PU- and QA-loop methods: theoretical basis and solution to the problemPatrick Segers
IBiTech bioMMeda, Department of Electronics and Information Systems, iMinds Medical IT, Ghent University, Gent, Belgium
Physiol Meas 35:847-61. 2014..They offer no alternative for the Bramwell-Hill based approach and their application should therefore be discouraged, especially for the carotid artery, although caution is probably warranted in general. ..
- The influence of aortic dimensions on calculated wall shear stress in the mouse aortic archBram Trachet
IBITECH, UGent, De Pintelaan, Gent, Belgium
Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin 12:491-9. 2009..Our results show that WSS values for mice should be interpreted very cautiously, and if possible an animal-specific geometry with animal-specific boundary conditions should be used...
- Performance comparison of ultrasound-based methods to assess aortic diameter and stiffness in normal and aneurysmal miceBram Trachet
IBiTech bioMMeda, Ghent University iMinds Medical IT, Ghent, Belgium Institute of Bioengineering, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 10:e0129007. 2015..We aimed to assess the validity and sensitivity of these methods in control animals and animals developing dissecting abdominal aortic aneurysm...
- Grading of mitral regurgitation based on intensity analysis of the continuous wave Doppler signalMilad El Haddad
Department of Cardiology, Heart Center, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Heart . 2016..We aimed to develop and validate a novel custom-made transthoracic echocardiographic method for grading MR severity based on average pixel intensity (API) analysis of the continuous wave (CW) Doppler envelope...