Genomes and Genes
Jean Pierre Devogelaer
- Oral salmon calcitonin reduces Lequesne's algofunctional index scores and decreases urinary and serum levels of biomarkers of joint metabolism in knee osteoarthritisDaniel Henri Manicourt
St Luc University Hospital and Christian de Duve Institute of Cellular Pathology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Arthritis Rheum 54:3205-11. 2006..To evaluate the effects of oral salmon calcitonin (sCT) on Lequesne's algofunctional index scores and on biomarkers of joint metabolism in knee osteoarthritis...
- Long-lasting effect of pamidronate on bone metabolism in osteoporosis after stopping therapyJ P Devogelaer
Rheumatology Unit, University Clinics Saint Luc, Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 1:149-51. 2000..To determine whether and when, like after estrogen withdrawal, bone loss resumes once disodium pamidronate is discontinued, even after long duration therapy...
- Effect on bone turnover markers of once-yearly intravenous infusion of zoledronic acid versus daily oral risedronate in patients treated with glucocorticoidsJean Pierre Devogelaer
Universite Catholique de Louvain, UCL5390, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Rheumatology (Oxford) 52:1058-69. 2013..The aim of this study was to examine the effects of two bisphosphonates, i.v. zoledronic acid (ZOL) versus oral risedronate (RIS), on bone turnover markers (BTMs) in subjects with glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis (GIO)...
- Long-term effects of percutaneous estradiol on bone loss and bone metabolism in postmenopausal hysterectomized womenJ P Devogelaer
Department of Rheumatology, St Luc University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Maturitas 28:243-9. 1998..To determine whether percutaneous estradiol (pE2) (1.5 mg/day) is able to counteract the postmenopausal bone loss in postmenopausal hysterectomized women, in a double-blind study versus oral estriol (E3) (2 mg/day)...
- Glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: mechanisms and therapeutic approachJean Pierre Devogelaer
Department of Medicine, Arthritis Unit, Saint Luc University Hospital, Universite Catholique de Louvain, 10, Avenue Hippocrate, UCL 5390, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 32:733-57. 2006..Studies of other therapeutic modalities (eg, promoters of bone formation) are in progress...
- Zoledronic acid efficacy and safety over five years in postmenopausal osteoporosisJ P Devogelaer
Saint Luc University Hospital, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Bruxelles, Belgium
Osteoporos Int 18:1211-8. 2007..BMD increased significantly. Bone turnover markers decreased from baseline and were maintained within premenopausal reference ranges...
- Modern therapy for Paget's disease of bone: focus on bisphosphonatesJean Pierre Devogelaer
Université Catholique de Louvain in Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Treat Endocrinol 1:241-57. 2002..The increased potency and longer duration of action of newer bisphosphonates more than compensates for their marginally increased cost compared with older bisphosphonates...
- Management of patients with Paget's disease: a consensus document of the Belgian Bone ClubJ P Devogelaer
Service de Rhumatologie, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Avenue Hippocrate 10, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Osteoporos Int 19:1109-17. 2008..Its therapeutic efficacy, its long-term effect on biologic activity and its good tolerance currently supports its use as a first-line therapeutic option in patients suffering from PDB...
- A review of the effects of tibolone on the skeletonJean Pierre Devogelaer
Rheumatology Unit, Saint Luc University Hospital, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Expert Opin Pharmacother 5:941-9. 2004....
- New uses of bisphosphonates: osteogenesis imperfectaJean Pierre Devogelaer
Université Catholique de Louvain in Brussels, The Arthritis Unit, UCL 5390, Saint Luc University Hospital, Avenue Hippocrate 10, B 1200, Brussels, Belgium
Curr Opin Pharmacol 2:748-53. 2002..Newer, theoretically more potent bisphosphonates are currently being tested in this potentially crippling condition...
- Is there a place for bone turnover markers in the assessment of osteoporosis and its treatment?Jean Pierre Devogelaer
Division of Rheumatology and Rheumatology Unit, Department of Medicine, UCL 5390, Université Catholique de Louvain in Brussels, Saint Luc University Hospital, Avenue Hippocrate 10, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 37:365-86, v-vi. 2011..Whether this behavior is cost-effective remains to be settled...
- Treatment of bone diseases with bisphosphonates, excluding osteoporosisJ P Devogelaer
Department of Rheumatology, St Luc University Hospital, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Curr Opin Rheumatol 12:331-5. 2000..Now that the fear of theoretically freezing bone remodeling has been reasonably dismissed, potential uses for bisphosphonates might be considered nearly infinite...
- A risk-benefit assessment of alendronate in the treatment of involutional osteoporosisJ P Devogelaer
Department of Rheumatology, Saint Luc University Hospital, Louvain University in Brussels, Belgium
Drug Saf 19:141-54. 1998....
- Role of alendronate in therapy for posttraumatic complex regional pain syndrome type I of the lower extremityDaniel Henri Manicourt
St Luc University Hospital, Universite Catholique de Louvain, 5390 Avenue Mounier, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Arthritis Rheum 50:3690-7. 2004..To evaluate the effects of the antiresorptive agent alendronate at a daily oral dose of 40 mg in patients with posttraumatic complex regional pain syndrome type I (CRPS I) of the lower extremity...
- Inulin and fructo-oligosaccharides differ in their ability to enhance the density of cancellous and cortical bone in the axial and peripheral skeleton of growing ratsAdrien Nzeusseu
Department of Rheumatology, Saint Luke s University Hospital, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Bone 38:394-9. 2006..Although cecal wall hyperplasia may be of concern, it remains to establish whether the positive effect of fructans observed on calcium absorption in humans is also associated with a positive effect on bone mass and/or mineral density...
- Evidence-based guidelines for the prevention and treatment of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: a consensus document of the Belgian Bone ClubJean Pierre Devogelaer
Rheumatology Unit, Saint Luc University Hospital, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Osteoporos Int 17:8-19. 2006..There is indeed no proof that the increased costs of combined treatments will translate into increased therapeutic efficacy...
- Celecoxib has a positive effect on the overall metabolism of hyaluronan and proteoglycans in human osteoarthritic cartilageHafida El Hajjaji
ICP Christian de Duve Institute of Cellular Pathology and the Department of Rheumatology, Saint Luc University Hospital, Catholic University of Louvain, Avenue Mounier, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Rheumatol 30:2444-51. 2003..Results were compared with those of diclofenac, a non-selective COX inhibitor...
- Fibroblast growth factor-23 and parathyroid hormone are associated with post-transplant bone mineral density lossNada Kanaan
Department of Nephrology, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, 10, Av Hippocrate, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:1887-92. 2010..We hypothesized that a high pretransplant level of the recently described phosphaturic hormone fibroblast growth factor 23 (FGF-23) is a risk factor for accelerated BMD loss occurring within the first post-transplant year...
- Effects of calcitonin on subchondral trabecular bone changes and on osteoarthritic cartilage lesions after acute anterior cruciate ligament deficiencyCatherine Behets
Department of Anatomy, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
J Bone Miner Res 19:1821-6. 2004..CT significantly reduced both SBM and cartilage lesions. This study supports the use of CT in the treatment of canine experimental OA...
- Baseline glucocorticoid dose and bone mineral density response with teriparatide or alendronate therapy in patients with glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosisJean Pierre Devogelaer
Universite Catholique de Louvain, B 1200, Brussels, Belgium
J Rheumatol 37:141-8. 2010....
- Biologicals in osteoporosis: teriparatide and parathyroid hormone in women and menJean Pierre Devogelaer
Department of Rheumatology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, UCL 5390, St Luc University Hospital, Avenue Hippocrate 10, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Curr Osteoporos Rep 8:154-61. 2010..New modes of administration (transdermal, intranasal, oral) will probably become available soon. With all the drugs available today and those still in development, it can be hoped that osteoporosis will become a disease of the past...
- Effects of Dairy Products Consumption on Health: Benefits and Beliefs--A Commentary from the Belgian Bone Club and the European Society for Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis and Musculoskeletal DiseasesSerge Rozenberg
Department of Gynaecology Obstetrics, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Calcif Tissue Int 98:1-17. 2016..Dairy products do not increase the risk of cardiovascular disease, particularly if low fat. Intake of up to three servings of dairy products per day appears to be safe and may confer a favourable benefit with regard to bone health. ..
- Treatment with calcitonin prevents the net loss of collagen, hyaluronan and proteoglycan aggregates from cartilage in the early stages of canine experimental osteoarthritisHafida El Hajjaji
Christian de Duve Institute of Cellular Pathology, Connective Tissue Group, Department of Biochemistry, Catholic University of Louvain in Brussels, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 12:904-11. 2004..To evaluate the effect of calcitonin (CT) on the histology and biochemistry of articular cartilage from unstable operated and nonoperated knee in a canine model of experimental osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Comparative effect of nimesulide and ibuprofen on the urinary levels of collagen type II C-telopeptide degradation products and on the serum levels of hyaluronan and matrix metalloproteinases-3 and -13 in patients with flare-up of osteoarthritisDaniel Henri Manicourt
Department of Rheumatology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Saint Luc University Hospital Saint Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Drugs R D 6:261-71. 2005....
- (18)F-fluoride PET for monitoring therapeutic response in Paget's disease of boneJohanne Installé
Department of Molecular Imaging and Experimental Radiotherapy, Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
J Nucl Med 46:1650-8. 2005..A prospective study was undertaken to evaluate PET with (18)F-fluoride for monitoring the response to bisphosphonates in Paget's disease of bones...
- Beneficial effects of creatine supplementation in dystrophic patientsMagali Louis
Institut d éducation physique et de réadaptation, Universite Catholique de Louvain, 1 Place Pierre de Coubertin, B 1348 Louvain la Neuve, Belgium
Muscle Nerve 27:604-10. 2003..05), and urinary excretion of collagen type I cross-linking N-telopeptide declined to about one third (P < 0.001) after Cr. No adverse effect was observed. Thus, Cr may provide some symptomatic benefit in these patients...
- Tacrolimus and low-dose steroid immunosuppression preserves bone mass after renal transplantationEric Goffin
Department of Nephrology, Hopital Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, 10 Ave Hippocrate, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Transpl Int 15:73-80. 2002..Weconclude that tacrolimus associated with low-dose steroids might better preserve bone mass after renal TP than cyclosporine and normal doses of steroids...
- Long-term effects on bone mineral density of different therapeutic schemes for acute lymphoblastic leukemia or non-Hodgkin lymphoma during childhoodSarra Benmiloud
Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Horm Res Paediatr 74:241-50. 2010..Little is known regarding long-term bone deficit in relationship with the modalities of cancer therapy among survivors of childhood malignancy...
- Zoledronic acid for treatment of Paget's disease of boneJean Pierre Devogelaer
Professor of Rheumatology, Saint Luc University Hospital, Arthritis Unit, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Avenue Hippocrate 10, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Expert Opin Pharmacother 8:2863-9. 2007..In the long term, prevention of severe complications can be envisaged, with a reasonable pharmacoeconomic cost...
- Remission over 3 years in patients with Paget disease of bone treated with a single intravenous infusion of 5 mg zoledronic acidJean Pierre Devogelaer
Department of Rheumatology, Saint Luc University Hospital, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Calcif Tissue Int 94:311-8. 2014....
- Renal expression of parvalbumin is critical for NaCl handling and response to diureticsHendrica Belge
Department of Nephrology, Université Catholique de Louvain Medical School, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:14849-54. 2007..They also provide insights into the Ca(2+)-sparing action of thiazides and the pathophysiology of distal tubulopathies...
- Postnatal growth defect in mice upon persistent Hoxa2 expression in the chondrogenic cell lineagePierre Marcel Louis Deprez
Pôle de Morphologie, Institut de Recherche Expérimentale et Clinique, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Differentiation 83:158-67. 2012..The indepth analysis of cartilage and bone histogenesis points towards an initial deficit in cell mobilization to enter chondrogenesis...
- Urban tropospheric ozone increases the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among Belgian postmenopausal women with outdoor activities during summerDaniel Henri Manicourt
Department of Rheumatology, St Luc University Hospital, UCL 5390, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3893-9. 2008..By absorbing sunlight UVB and thereby reducing cutaneous vitamin D photosynthesis, ozone, a common urban pollutant, could cause hypovitaminosis D...
- Spontaneous rupture of the distal iliopsoas tendon: clinical and imaging findings, with anatomic correlationsFrederic E Lecouvet
Department of Radiology and Medical Imaging, Saint Luc University Hospital, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Hippocrate Avenue 10 2942, 1200, Brussels, Belgium
Eur Radiol 15:2341-6. 2005....
- Intravenous zoledronic acid in postmenopausal women with low bone mineral densityIan R Reid
Department of Medicine, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
N Engl J Med 346:653-61. 2002..Gastrointestinal intolerance limits maximal dosing. Although intermittent intravenous treatments have been used, the optimal doses and dosing interval have not been systematically explored...
- Inhaled corticosteroids effects on bone in asthmatic and COPD patients: a quantitative systematic reviewFlorent Richy
WHO Collaborating Center for Public Health Aspects of Osteoarticular Disorders, Liege, Belgium
Osteoporos Int 14:179-90. 2003..These findings could have practical implication in the long-term management of asthmatic and COPD patients...
- Recommendations for the use of new methods to assess the efficacy of disease-modifying drugs in the treatment of osteoarthritisEric Abadie
Department of Registration and Clinical Studies, French Agency For the Safety of Health Products AFSSAPS, France
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 12:263-8. 2004..Recently, new technology has been developed to detect a structural change of the OA joint earlier than conventional X-rays...
- Evaluation of proposals of Belgian Social Security Institute for reimbursement of bone densitometry tests. Toward a cost-effective strategy for osteoporosis screening?Wafa Ben Sedrine
WHO Collaborating Center for Public Health Aspects of Osteoarticular Disorders, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Aging Clin Exp Res 16:413-9. 2004..The aim of this paper was to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of the proposed criteria for identifying osteoporosis, and to gauge how useful they are for more rational application of densitometry tests...
- Relationship between bone mineral density changes and fracture risk reduction in patients treated with strontium ranelateOlivier Bruyere
World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Public Health Aspect of Osteoarticular Disorders, University of Liege, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3076-81. 2007..Our objective was to analyze the relationship between bone mineral density (BMD) changes and fracture incidence during 3-yr treatment with strontium ranelate...
- Ten years' experience with alendronate for osteoporosis in postmenopausal womenHenry G Bone
Michigan Bone and Mineral Clinic, Detroit 48236, USA
N Engl J Med 350:1189-99. 2004..Antiresorptive agents are widely used to treat osteoporosis. We report the results of a multinational randomized, double-blind study, in which postmenopausal women with osteoporosis were treated with alendronate for up to 10 years...
- Safety and efficacy of a novel salmon calcitonin (sCT) technology-based oral formulation in healthy postmenopausal women: acute and 3-month effects on biomarkers of bone turnoverLaszlo B Tanko
Center for Clinical and Basic Research, Ballerup, Denmark
J Bone Miner Res 19:1531-8. 2004..The results show (1) effective enteral absorption, (2) marked inhibition of bone resorption with minimal alteration of formation, and (3) reproducibility of responses over 3 months...
- Alendronate versus calcitriol for prevention of bone loss after cardiac transplantationAgnès Dejardin
N Engl J Med 350:2306-8; author reply 2306-8. 2004
- Long-term control of bone turnover in Paget's disease with zoledronic acid and risedronateDavid Hosking
City Hospital, Nottingham, UK
J Bone Miner Res 22:142-8. 2007..This effect is largely independent of pretreatment disease activity and prior bisphosphonate therapy...
- Raloxifene reduces fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosisJean Yves Reginster
Department of Public Health, Epidemiology and Health Economics, University of Liège and the World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Public Health Aspects of Bone Diseases, Liege, Belgium
Clin Orthop Relat Res 443:48-54. 2006....
- Deflazacort in giant cell arteritisJean Pierre Devogelaer
J Rheumatol 29:2244-5. 2002
- Evidence-based guidelines for the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis: a consensus document of the Belgian Bone ClubSteven Boonen
Center for Metabolic Bone Diseases, Katholieke University Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Osteoporos Int 16:239-54. 2005
- The effects of MK-0677, an oral growth hormone secretagogue, in patients with hip fractureMark A Bach
Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:516-23. 2004..To evaluate the effects of MK-0677, an orally active growth hormone (GH) secretagogue, on functional recovery from hip fracture in previously mobile older individuals...
- Dual energy x-ray absorptiometry-based assessment of male patients using standardized bone density values and a national reference databaseStefan Goemaere
Unit for Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Diseases, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
J Clin Densitom 10:25-33. 2007..The current data provide a basis to implement a nation-wide, uniform expression of BMD in male patients and allow harmonization of the BMD-based diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis in men...
- Novel LRP5 missense mutation in a patient with a high bone mass phenotype results in decreased DKK1-mediated inhibition of Wnt signalingWendy Balemans
Department of Medical Genetics, University and University Hospital of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
J Bone Miner Res 22:708-16. 2007..In vitro studies suggest that a reduced antagonistic effect of DKK1 on canonical Wnt signaling contributes to the molecular effect of this mutation and its pathogenic consequence...
- Founder effect in different European countries for the recurrent P392L SQSTM1 mutation in Paget's Disease of BonePui Yan Jenny Chung
Department of Medical Genetics, University and University Hospital of Antwerp, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610, Wilrijk, Belgium
Calcif Tissue Int 83:34-42. 2008..The chance to obtain this result due to 33 independent mutation events is 3.97 x 10(-14), providing strong evidence for a founder effect of the P392L SQSTM1 mutation in Belgian, Dutch, and Spanish patients with PDB...
- Identification of sex-specific associations between polymorphisms of the osteoprotegerin gene, TNFRSF11B, and Paget's disease of boneGreet Beyens
Department of Medical Genetics, University and University Hospital of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
J Bone Miner Res 22:1062-71. 2007..We observed no association in men, but a highly significant association was found in women, and this was confirmed in a population from the United Kingdom...
- Strontium ranelate reduces the risk of vertebral fractures in patients with osteopeniaEgo Seeman
Austin Health, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
J Bone Miner Res 23:433-8. 2008..Vertebral fracture risk reduction of 41-59% was shown depending on the site and fracture status at baseline. This is the first report of antivertebral fracture efficacy in women with vertebral osteopenia...