Affiliation: International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research
- Single-dose ciprofloxacin versus 12-dose erythromycin for childhood cholera: a randomised controlled trialDebasish Saha
ICDDR, B, Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Lancet 366:1085-93. 2005..We assessed whether single-dose ciprofloxacin would be as effective as 3-day, 12-dose erythromycin in achieving clinical cure in children with severe cholera...
- Single-dose azithromycin for the treatment of cholera in adultsDebasish Saha
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
N Engl J Med 354:2452-62. 2006..Single-dose azithromycin is effective in the treatment of severe cholera in children, but its effectiveness in adults has not been evaluated...
- Comparison of single-dose azithromycin and 12-dose, 3-day erythromycin for childhood cholera: a randomised, double-blind trialWasif A Khan
Clinical Sciences Division, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka
Lancet 360:1722-7. 2002..However, effective single-dose antimicrobial regimens have been identified only for adults. Our aim was to compare the efficacy of azithromycin and erythromycin regimens in the treatment of children...
- Efficacy of Ciprofloxacin for Treatment of Cholera Associated with Diminished Susceptibility to Ciprofloxacin to Vibrio cholerae O1Wasif Ali Khan
ICDDR, B International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
PLoS ONE 10:e0134921. 2015..We identified a poor clinical response to treatment of cholera with a single 1 g dose of ciprofloxacin, a standard treatment for cholera...
- Efficacy of a high-dose in addition to daily low-dose vitamin A in children suffering from severe acute malnutrition with other illnessesSamima Sattar
Clinical Sciences Division and Centre for Nutrition and Food Security, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B, Dhaka, Bangladesh
PLoS ONE 7:e33112. 2012..This study compared the efficacy of a single high-dose (200,000 IU) in addition to daily low-dose (5000 IU) VA in the management of children suffering from SAM with diarrhea and/or acute lower respiratory tract infection (ALRI)...
- Incomplete correlation of serum vibriocidal antibody titer with protection from Vibrio cholerae infection in urban BangladeshDebasish Saha
International Centre for Diarrheal Disease Research, Bangladesh
J Infect Dis 189:2318-22. 2004..No association between baseline vibriocidal titer and protection from V. cholerae O139 infection was found. Our findings suggest that the vibriocidal antibody is an incomplete predictor of protection from V. cholerae infection...
- Low risk of hemolytic uremic syndrome after early effective antimicrobial therapy for Shigella dysenteriae type 1 infection in BangladeshMichael L Bennish
Africa Centre for Health and Population Studies, Mtubatuba, South Africa
Clin Infect Dis 42:356-62. 2006..Shigella dysenteriae type 1 also expresses Stx. However, the effect of antimicrobial therapy on Stx release and the risk of HUS in humans is unknown...
- Emergence of multidrug-resistant strain of Vibrio cholerae O1 in Bangladesh and reversal of their susceptibility to tetracycline after two yearsAbu S G Faruque
J Health Popul Nutr 25:241-3. 2007