Dewan S Alam
Affiliation: International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research
- Adult cardiopulmonary mortality and indoor air pollution: a 10-year retrospective cohort study in a low-income rural settingDewan S Alam
Centre for Control of Chronic Diseases CCCD, International Centre for Diarrheal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B, 68 Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmed Sharani, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh Electronic address
Glob Heart 7:215-21. 2012..Rural Matlab in Bangladesh has been partly supplied with natural gas since the early 1990s, which offered a natural experiment to investigate the long-term impact of IAP on cardiopulmonary mortality...
- High prevalence of chronic kidney disease in a community survey of urban Bangladeshis: a cross-sectional studyShuchi Anand
Stanford University School of Medicine, 291 Campus Dr, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Global Health 10:9. 2014..S. and would be strongly associated with insulin resistance...
- Consequences of hypertension and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, healthcare-seeking behaviors of patients, and responses of the health system: a population-based cross-sectional study in BangladeshMd Jasim Uddin
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research Bangladesh ICDDR, B, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
BMC Public Health 14:547. 2014..Hypertension (HT) and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) are two major causes of deaths, worldwide. This study assesses the health status, health-care seeking, and health provider responses among patients with these conditions...
- Social and economic impact of diabetics in Bangladesh: protocol for a case-control studySheikh Mohammed Shariful Islam
Center for Control of Chronic Diseases CCCD, ICDDR, B, and Center for International Health, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munich, Germany
BMC Public Health 13:1217. 2013..3) To measure the impact of diabetes on quality of life among diabetes patients in Bangladesh. 4) To study the impact of diabetes on the health care system..
- Performance of four computer-coded verbal autopsy methods for cause of death assignment compared with physician coding on 24,000 deaths in low- and middle-income countriesNikita Desai
Centre for Global Heath Research, St, Michael s Hospital, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Toronto Ontario, Canada
BMC Med 12:20. 2014..Computer-coded verbal autopsy (CCVA) methods have been proposed as a faster and cheaper alternative to PCVA, though they have not been widely compared to PCVA or to each other...
- Obesity and overweight in Bangladeshi children and adolescents: a scoping reviewSholeh Rahman
Centre for Control of Chronic Diseases CCCD, ICDDR, B, 68 Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmed Sharani, Mohakhali Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
BMC Public Health 14:70. 2014..Our aim was to conduct a scoping review of literature to ascertain what is known about childhood and adolescent overweight and/or obesity in Bangladesh...
- Effects of prenatal food and micronutrient supplementation on child growth from birth to 54 months of age: a randomized trial in BangladeshAshraful Islam Khan
International Maternal and Child Health, Department of Women s and Children s Health, Uppsala University, Sweden
Nutr J 10:134. 2011..The hypothesis was that prenatal MMS and early invitation to food supplementation would increase physical growth in the offspring during 0-54 months and a combination of these interventions would further improve these outcomes...
- Energy stress during pregnancy and lactation: consequences for maternal nutrition in rural BangladeshD S Alam
ICDDRB Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:151-6. 2003..To assess the relationship of energy stress during pregnancy and lactation to maternal body stores in marginally nourished rural Bangladeshi women...
- Zinc treatment for 5 or 10 days is equally efficacious in preventing diarrhea in the subsequent 3 months among Bangladeshi childrenDewan S Alam
Health Systems and Infectious Diseases Division, International Centre for Diarrheal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
J Nutr 141:312-5. 2011..These findings suggest that among Bangladeshi children, a 5-d zinc treatment for ACD is as efficacious as 10 d in preventing diarrhea in the subsequent 3 mo...
- Effect of dietary fat supplementation during late pregnancy and first six months of lactation on maternal and infant vitamin A status in rural BangladeshDewan S Alam
Health Systems and Infectious Diseases Division, ICDDR, B, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
J Health Popul Nutr 28:333-42. 2010..Fat supplementation during pregnancy and lactation in women with a very low intake of dietary fat has beneficial effects on maternal postpartum vitamin A status...
- Use of the new World Health Organization child growth standards to describe longitudinal growth of breastfed rural Bangladeshi infants and young childrenKuntal K Saha
Public Health Sciences Division, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka
Food Nutr Bull 30:137-44. 2009..Although the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) reference has been widely used, in 2006 the World Health Organization (WHO) released new standards for assessing growth of infants and children worldwide...
- Household food security is associated with growth of infants and young children in rural BangladeshKuntal K Saha
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
Public Health Nutr 12:1556-62. 2009..We examined the association between household food security and subsequent growth of infants and young children in rural Bangladesh...
- Household food security is associated with infant feeding practices in rural BangladeshKuntal K Saha
ICDDR, B, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Nutr 138:1383-90. 2008..Our results provide strong evidence that HHFS influences IFP in rural Bangladesh...
- Maternal, infant, and household factors are associated with breast-feeding trajectories during infants' first 6 months of life in Matlab, BangladeshSabrina Rasheed
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Nutr 139:1582-7. 2009..6; 95% CI, 0.4-0.8) were less likely to be in the CMFT. Thus, these trajectories were associated with distinct groups of women and these results provide information useful for developing interventions to improve breast-feeding practices...
- Smoking-attributable mortality in Bangladesh: proportional mortality studyDewan S Alam
Centre for Control of Chronic Diseases, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research Bangladesh, 68 Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmed Sarani, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
Bull World Health Organ 91:757-64. 2013..To directly estimate how much smoking contributes to cause-specific mortality in Bangladesh...
- Prevention of low birthweightDewan S Alam
Public Health Sciences Division, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Pediatr Program 63:209-21; discussion 221-5, 259-68. 2009....
- Appropriate infant feeding practices result in better growth of infants and young children in rural BangladeshKuntal K Saha
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Diseases and Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Am J Clin Nutr 87:1852-9. 2008..The World Health Organization and the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund recommend a global strategy for feeding infants and young children for proper nutrition and health...
- Prevalence and Determinants of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) in BangladeshDewan S Alam
a 1 Centre for Control of Chronic Diseases CCCD, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
COPD 12:658-67. 2015..There is a paucity of population-based data on COPD prevalence and its determinants in Bangladesh...
- Low birth weight is associated with altered immune function in rural Bangladeshi children: a birth cohort studyRubhana Raqib
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Am J Clin Nutr 85:845-52. 2007..Recent studies have shown that such exposure early in life may have long-term implications for later immunocompetence and susceptibility to infectious diseases...
- Validity and reproducibility of resting metabolic rate measurements in rural Bangladeshi women: comparison of measurements obtained by Medgem and by Deltatrac deviceD S Alam
Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Eur J Clin Nutr 59:651-7. 2005....
- Clinical characteristics and complications of patients with type 2 diabetes attending an urban hospital in BangladeshSheikh Mohammed Shariful Islam
Center for Control of Chronic Diseases CCCD, ICDDR, B, Dhaka, Bangladesh Center for International Health, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany Electronic address
Diabetes Metab Syndr 9:7-13. 2015..To investigate the clinical features of patients with type 2 diabetes on oral medication and determine the complications and risk factors in these patients...
- Chronic respiratory symptoms in children following in utero and early life exposure to arsenic in drinking water in BangladeshAllan H Smith
Arsenic Health Effects Research Program, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA, Department of Community Health Sciences, Fielding School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA, Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA and Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment, California Environmental Protection Agency, Oakland, CA, USA
Int J Epidemiol 42:1077-86. 2013..Arsenic exposure via drinking water increases the risk of chronic respiratory disease in adults. However, information on pulmonary health effects in children after early life exposure is limited...