Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Medical University of Vienna
- Lyme borreliosisGerold Stanek
Faculty of Medicine, University of Vienna, Austria
Lancet Infect Dis 4:197-8; discussion 198-9. 2004
- [Tick-borne pathogens in Central Europe]Gerold Stanek
Institut für Hygiene und Medizinische Mikrobiologie, Medizinische Universität Wien, Kinderspitalgasse, Osterreich
Wien Klin Wochenschr 117:373-80. 2005
- Intrathecally produced IgG and IgM antibodies to recombinant VlsE, VlsE peptide, recombinant OspC and whole cell extracts in the diagnosis of Lyme neuroborreliosisGerold Stanek
Institute for Hygiene and Applied Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Kinderspitalgasse 15, 1090, Vienna, Austria
Med Microbiol Immunol 203:125-32. 2014..The highest sensitivity and specificity were achieved by the antibody detection assay using VlsE IR6 peptide. Detection of IgM-AI yielded heterogenous results and did not support the laboratory diagnosis of LNB. ..
- Lyme borreliosisGerold Stanek
Medical University of Vienna, Institute for Hygiene and Applied Immunology, Vienna, Austria
Lancet 379:461-73. 2012..Prevention is mainly accomplished by protecting against tick bites. There is no vaccine available for human beings...
- Lyme disease: European perspectiveGerold Stanek
Medical University of Vienna, Clinical Institute of Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, Vienna, Austria
Infect Dis Clin North Am 22:327-39, vii. 2008..Meningoradiculoneuritis in Lyme neuroborreliosis, with its severe radicular pain, is more prominent in Europe. Similar difficulties exist on both sides of the Atlantic with the serologic diagnosis of Lyme borreliosis...
- Lyme borreliosis: a European perspective on diagnosis and clinical managementGerold Stanek
Department of Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Curr Opin Infect Dis 22:450-4. 2009..False-positive microbiologic results can lead to unnecessary antibiotic treatment, which even in genuine cases is sometimes unnecessarily prolonged. This review addresses new research on diagnosis, treatment, and eco-epidemiology...
- Lyme borreliosis: clinical case definitions for diagnosis and management in EuropeG Stanek
Medical University of Vienna, Department of Hygiene and Applied Immunology, Vienna, Austria
Clin Microbiol Infect 17:69-79. 2011..These new case definitions for European Lyme borreliosis emphasise recognition of clinical manifestations supported by relevant laboratory criteria and may be used in a clinical setting and also for epidemiological investigations...
- The expanding Lyme Borrelia complex--clinical significance of genomic species?G Stanek
Institute for Hygiene and Applied Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Clin Microbiol Infect 17:487-93. 2011..spielmanii has been detected in early skin disease, and B. bissettii and B. valaisiana have been detected in specimens from single cases of Lyme borreliosis. The clinical role of B. lusitaniae remains to be substantiated...
- Babesia species occurring in Austrian Ixodes ricinus ticksMarion Blaschitz
Division of Infection and Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Kinderspitalgasse 15, 1095 Vienna, Austria
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:4841-6. 2008..strain DD by sequencing a fragment of the heat shock protein 70 gene and internal transcribed spacer regions 1 and 2. To our knowledge, this is the first investigation of Babesia spp. in Austrian ticks...
- Humoral immune response in dogs naturally infected with Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato and in dogs after immunization with a Borrelia vaccineMichael W Leschnik
Medical Clinic for Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Veterinary University Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Clin Vaccine Immunol 17:828-35. 2010..However, repeated Western blot analyses may be useful for the confirmation of infection or vaccination status, since the time courses of the levels of specific antibodies seem to be different...
- Paradigm Burgenland: risk of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato infection indicated by variable seroprevalence rates in huntersEmel Cetin
Clinical Institute for Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:677-81. 2006..In order to define associated risk factors and preparing data for future comparisons, a study was performed in the eight districts of Burgenland, the most eastern state of Austria...
- Anti chlamydia antibodies in patients with thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysmsMartin Schillinger
Division of Angiology, Department of Internal Medicine II, University of Vienna, Medical Faculty, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 114:972-7. 2002..We investigated serum levels of Chlamydia antibodies in patients with thoracic aortic aneurysms (TAA) and abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA) compared to levels in healthy individuals...
- Seasonal variations in detecting Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in rodents from north eastern AustriaGelas Khanakah
Institute of Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:754-8. 2006..sylvaticus, M. arvalis and C. glareolus as reservoir animals for B. afzelii, B. garinii and B. burgdorferi sensu stricto, agents of Lyme borreliosis. Notable is the salient presence of B. garinii in heart specimens of A. sylvaticus...
- Multiple site sampling does not increase the sensitivity of Chlamydia trachomatis detection in infertility patientsWolf Dietrich
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Fertil Steril 93:68-71. 2010..Persistent Chlamydia trachomatis infections are associated with tubal pathology. We studied whether sampling from multiple sites would increase the identification of the infections...
- Outbreak of leptospirosis among triathlon participants in Langau, Austria, 2010Christoph Radl
Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 123:751-5. 2011..The suppressive influence of a triathlon on the immune system is well documented and therefore an outbreak in this population group can be seen as a sensitive indicator concerning possible risk for the general population...
- Fatal Mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia in a previously healthy 18-year-old girlFlorian Daxboeck
Clinical Institute for Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, Division of Hospital Hygiene, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna General Hospital, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 119:379-84. 2007..This is the third case of fatal mycoplasma pneumonia reported from Austria in recent years, making this topic worthy of further scientific attention...
- First described case of human granulocytic anaplasmosis in a patient in Eastern AustriaUrsula Maria Vogl
Division of Oncology, Department of Medicine I, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Wien Med Wochenschr 160:91-3. 2010..The patient received no treatment and recovered completely. This is the first confirmed case of human granulocytic anaplasmosis (HGA) in Eastern Austria...
- Impact of a pertussis booster vaccination program in adolescents and adults on the epidemiology of pertussis in AustriaPamela Rendi-Wagner
Department of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:806-10. 2007..This study was undertaken to analyze epidemiologic trends of laboratory-reported pertussis to evaluate current vaccination strategy in Austria...
- Theobald Smith--the discoverer of ticks as vectors of diseaseOjan Assadian
Clinical Institute of Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 114:479-81. 2002..Furthermore, by proving that ticks carry Babesia microti--which causes babesiosis in animals and humans--this is the first account of a zoonotic disease and the foundation of all later work on the animal host and the arthropod vector...
- Tick-borne encephalitis: new paradigms in a changing vaccination environmentUrsula Kunze
Center for Public Health, Institute for Social Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, Rooseveltplatz 3, Vienna, Austria
Wien Med Wochenschr 161:361-4. 2011..The ISW TBE is part of this complex system, and because the world keeps changing--so should the strategies...
- Primary cytomegalovirus infection in patients with Guillain-Barré syndromeChristoph Steininger
Institute of Virology, Medical University of Vienna, Department of Neurology, Hospital Rudolfstiftung, Vienna, Austria
J Neuroimmunol 183:214-9. 2007..Primary CMV infection was identified in almost one-fourth of patients with detectable CMV-specific antibodies. Nevertheless, endogenous reactivation and reinfection have to be considered also as relevant events associated with GBS...
- Case report: lymphogranuloma venereum proctitis-from rapid screening to molecular confirmation of a masked sexually transmitted diseaseMateusz Markowicz
Institute for Hygiene and Applied Immunology, Centre for Pathophysiology, Infectiology and Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Kinderspitalgasse 15, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 76:516-7. 2013....
- An unrecognized epidemic of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection in ViennaFlorian Daxboeck
Clinical Institute for Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, Division of Hospital Hygiene, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:208-11. 2006..A surveillance or reporting system for M. pneumoniae infections (i.e. positive serological results for M. pneumoniae) would be useful for physicians caring for patients with community-acquired respiratory tract infections...
- Reflections on the clinical and epidemiological studies presented at the IX International Conference on Lyme Borreliosis and Other Tick-Borne Diseases and future directionsGerold Stanek
Institute of Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, University of Vienna, Kinderspitalgasse 15, A 1095 Wien, Austria
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 3:229-47. 2003
- Lyme borreliosisGerold Stanek
Department of Hygiene and Medical Microbiology of the University Vienna, 1095 Wien, 15, Kinderspitalgasse, Austria
Lancet 362:1639-47. 2003..Prevention relies mainly on avoiding exposure to tick bites but there is some interest in chemoprophylaxis and also in vaccine development following initial disappointments...
- Emergence of lyme arthritis after autologous chondrocyte transplantationStefan Marlovits
University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Arthritis Rheum 50:259-64. 2004..We recommend that synovial fluid and joint tissue be screened for the presence of viable Borrelia before transplantation of an autologous graft...
- A newly established real-time PCR for detection of Borrelia miyamotoi in Ixodes ricinus ticksMichael Reiter
Institute for Hygiene and Applied Immunology, Center for Pathophysiology, Infectiology and Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Kinderspitalgasse 15, 1090 Vienna, Austria Electronic address
Ticks Tick Borne Dis 6:303-8. 2015..The results consolidate the picture of a European-wide distribution of B. miyamotoi and again underscore the need for clinical awareness to clarify possible involvement of this species in human disease. ..
- Seroprevalence for Coxiella burnetii, Francisella tularensis, Brucella abortus and Brucella melitensis in Austrian adults: a cross-sectional survey among military personnel and civiliansSelma Tobudic
Department of Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Ticks Tick Borne Dis 5:315-7. 2014..burnetii and F. tularensis among military personnel and civilians. Our data demonstrate serological evidence of a low rate of exposure to C. burnetii and F. tularensis among the Austrian adult population and military personnel. ..
- First detection of Rickettsia helvetica in Ixodes ricinus ticks in AustriaMarion Blaschitz
Division of Infection and Immunology, Department of Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 8:561-3. 2008..It was shown that roughly one-third of the ticks were infected with Rickettsia spp. Moreover, Rickettsia helvetica was detected in Austria for the first time...
- Detection of Mycoplasma pneumoniae in serum specimens from patients with mycoplasma pneumonia by PCRFlorian Daxboeck
Clinical Institute of Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, Division of Hospital Hygiene, Medical University Vienna, Vienna General Hospital, Vienna, Austria
Int J Med Microbiol 295:279-85. 2005..With regard to the potential clinical benefit of blood-based PCR diagnosis of mycoplasma pneumonia the diagnostic accuracy of this approach using either serum or whole-blood specimens should be addressed by large-scale studies...
- Mild leptospirosis with three-year persistence of IgG- and IgM-antibodies, initially manifesting as carpal tunnel syndromeJosef Finsterer
Department of Neurology, Krankenanstalt Rudolfstiftung, Vienna, Austria
J Infect 51:E67-70. 2005..This case illustrates that leptospirosis may start as carpal tunnel syndrome and that the severity of leptospirosis does not seem to be related to the intensity of the humoral immune response against the causative agent...
- Horses and Borrelia: immunoblot patterns with five Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato strains and sera from horses of various stud farms in Austria and from the Spanish Riding School in ViennaIris Muller
Institute for Hygiene and Medical Microbiology of the University Vienna, Wien, Austria
Int J Med Microbiol 291:80-7. 2002..burgdorferi sensu lato but, apparently, developed only rarely, if at all, clinical diseases. The infectious agent is predominantly B. afzelii. Antibodies to other borrelia genospecies are predominantly due to cross reactivity...
- Prevalence of coinfection with Francisella tularensis in reservoir animals of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu latoVanda Vyrosteková
Institute of Epidemiology, Medical Faculty, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Wien Klin Wochenschr 114:482-8. 2002..l. and Francisella tularensis in small terrestrial mammals, as well as in the ticks, during a one-year survey. The occurrence of coinfection with the agents of Lyme borreliosis and tularemia was assessed in different species of rodents...
- Effect of age on antibody titer to Mycoplasma pneumoniaeFlorian Daxboeck
Institute of Hygiene, Division of Hospital Hygiene, University Hospital Vienna, Austria
Scand J Infect Dis 34:577-9. 2002..These data highlight the fact that, in the elderly, acute M. pneumoniae infection has to be considered in cases with slightly elevated antibody titers, which are usually referred to as borderline in children and young adults...
- Tick-transmitted diseases in central EuropeGerold Stanek
Wien Klin Wochenschr 114:471-2. 2002
- Advances in the treatment and prevention of Lyme borreliosisGary P Wormser
Wien Klin Wochenschr 117:381-4. 2005
- The clinical assessment, treatment, and prevention of lyme disease, human granulocytic anaplasmosis, and babesiosis: clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of AmericaGary P Wormser
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:1089-134. 2006..Tables list the doses and durations of antimicrobial therapy recommended for treatment and prevention of Lyme disease and provide a partial list of therapies to be avoided. A definition of post-Lyme disease syndrome is proposed...
- Quality of Lyme disease serology. Lessons from the German Proficiency Testing Program 1999-2001. A preliminary reportKlaus Peter Hunfeld
Central Laboratory of the German Proficiency Testing Program for Bacteriological Infection Serology, Institute of Medical Microbiology, University Hospital of Frankfurt Main, Germany
Wien Klin Wochenschr 114:591-600. 2002..We report on the results of a Lyme disease proficiency testing program which is regularly organised twice a year by our institutions in close cooperation with the Institute of Standardisation in the Medical Laboratory (INSTAND)...
- Chlamydia pneumoniae in central retinal artery occlusionPia V Vécsei
Department of Opthalmology, University of Vienna Medical School, Austria
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 80:656-9. 2002..There is increasing evidence that the common respiratory human pathogen Chlamydia pneumoniae has a causative role in atherosclerosis. We investigated the association of this pathogen with acute central retinal artery occlusion (CRAO)...
- Chlamydia in anterior ischemic optic neuropathyPia V Vécsei
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Vienna Medical School, Austria
Ophthalmologica 216:215-20. 2002..pneumoniae infection. However, it remains unclear whether Chlamydia actually initiates atherosclerotic injury, facilitates its progression or plays another role in other vascular disorders...
- Presence of cytomegalovirus in cerebrospinal fluid of patients with Guillain-Barre syndromeChristoph Steininger
Institute of Virology, University of Vienna, Austria
J Infect Dis 189:984-9. 2004..Understanding of the role of cytomegalovirus (CMV) in the pathogenesis of GBS is still very limited...
- Is serological testing a reliable tool in laboratory diagnosis of syphilis? Meta-analysis of eight external quality control surveys performed by the german infection serology proficiency testing programIris Muller
Institute of Medical Microbiology, University Hospital of Frankfurt, Paul Ehrlich Str 40, D 60596 Frankfurt Main, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 44:1335-41. 2006..Consequently, the continuous participation of laboratories in proficiency testing and further standardization of tests is strongly recommended to achieve better quality of syphilis serology...
- Chlamydia antibody response in healthy volunteers immunized with nonchlamydial antigens: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyStine Johnsen
Research Unit Q, Department of Infectious Diseases, Skejby Sygehus, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Clin Infect Dis 36:586-91. 2003..pneumoniae EIA (Medac), and the microimmunofluorescence test (MRL) were used. An increase in antibodies to Chlamydia organisms can be measured after exposure to nonchlamydial antigens, depending on the test used...