Affiliation: Medical University of Vienna
- Adequately adapted insulin secretion and decreased hepatic insulin extraction cause elevated insulin concentrations in insulin resistant non-diabetic adrenal incidentaloma patientsChristian Heinz Anderwald
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria Metabolic Unit, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, National Research Council ISIB CNR, Padua, Italy Mariahilf Community Pharmacy, Arnoldstein, Austria Medical Direction, Specialized Hospital Complex Agathenhof, Micheldorf, Austria
PLoS ONE 8:e77326. 2013..Insulin-resistance is commonly found in adrenal incidentaloma (AI) patients. However, little is known about beta-cell secretion in AI, because comparisons are difficult, since beta-cell-function varies with altered insulin-sensitivity...
- Chronic peripheral hyperinsulinemia in type 1 diabetic patients after successful combined pancreas-kidney transplantation does not affect ectopic lipid accumulation in skeletal muscle and liverMarietta Stadler
Hietzing Hospital, 3rd Medical Department of Metabolic Diseases and Nephrology, Vienna, Austria
Diabetes 59:215-8. 2010....
- Alterations in gastrointestinal, endocrine, and metabolic processes after bariatric Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgeryChristian Heinz Anderwald
Metabolic Unit, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, National Research Council, Padua, Italy
Diabetes Care 35:2580-7. 2012..Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) surgery induces excessive and continuous weight loss in (morbid) obesity, although it causes several abnormal anatomical and physiological conditions...
- Glucose absorption in gestational diabetes mellitus during an oral glucose tolerance testChristian Anderwald
Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical University of Vienna, and Medical Direction, St Elisabeth Hospital, Vienna, Austria
Diabetes Care 34:1475-80. 2011..Because gastrointestinal function changes during pregnancy causing vomiting, constipation, or reduced motility, we thought that gut glucose absorption in GDM or pregnancy might be altered to affect circulating glucose excursions...
- Insulin infusion during normoglycemia modulates insulin secretion according to whole-body insulin sensitivityChristian Anderwald
Metabolic Unit, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, National Research Council, Padova, Italy
Diabetes Care 34:437-41. 2011..Thus, we aimed to evaluate short-term effects of human insulin infusion on insulin secretion during normoglycemia in healthy humans and T2DM subjects of both sex...
- Mechanism and effects of glucose absorption during an oral glucose tolerance test among females and malesChristian Anderwald
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:515-24. 2011..e. increased glucose at the end of the OGTT) in females, which was not yet explained. Thus, we aimed to analyze sex-related distinctions on OGTT glucose metabolism, including gut absorption, in healthy humans...
- Effects of free fatty acids on carbohydrate metabolism and insulin signalling in perfused rat liverC Anderwald
Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Eur J Clin Invest 37:774-82. 2007..Thus, we aimed to investigate acute direct effects of specific FFAs on fasting HGP, lactate uptake, and insulin signalling...
- Impact of family history on relations between insulin resistance, LDL cholesterol and carotid IMT in healthy adultsChristian Anderwald
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Heart 96:1191-200. 2010....
- Glucose turnover and intima media thickness of internal carotid artery in type 2 diabetes offspringC Anderwald
Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Eur J Clin Invest 38:227-37. 2008..Thus, this study examines parameters of glucose and lipid metabolism, insulin sensitivity, beta cell function (BCF) and IMT with their interrelationships in middle-aged OFF...
- The Clamp-Like Index: a novel and highly sensitive insulin sensitivity index to calculate hyperinsulinemic clamp glucose infusion rates from oral glucose tolerance tests in nondiabetic subjectsChristian Anderwald
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Diabetes Care 30:2374-80. 2007..However, the gold standard for measuring insulin resistance, the hyperinsulinemic clamp test, is too labor intensive to be performed in large clinical studies/settings...
- Beta cell (dys)function in non-diabetic offspring of diabetic patientsM Stadler
3rd Medical Department of Metabolic Diseases and Nephrology, Hietzing Hospital, Vienna, Austria
Diabetologia 52:2435-44. 2009..However, it is still unclear whether both pathophysiological features are inseparably combined and which is the outstanding determinant in the offspring...
- Persistent arterial stiffness and endothelial dysfunction following successful pancreas-kidney transplantation in Type 1 diabetesM Stadler
3rd Medical Department of Metabolic Diseases and Nephrology, Hietzing Hospital, A 1130 Vienna, Austria
Diabet Med 26:1010-8. 2009..However, it is doubtful whether the impairment of cardiovascular and endothelial function in T1DM can be completely reversed...
- Activation of PPAR-delta in isolated rat skeletal muscle switches fuel preference from glucose to fatty acidsB Brunmair
Department of Medicine III, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Diabetologia 49:2713-22. 2006..We explored such actions further in isolated rat skeletal muscle...
- Insulin resistance is not associated with myocardial steatosis in womenM Krssak
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Wien, Austria
Diabetologia 54:1871-8. 2011..We therefore assessed myocardial steatosis and myocardial function in a sample of women with normal insulin sensitivity, insulin resistance, impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) and type 2 diabetes...
- Direct and indirect effects of amino acids on hepatic glucose metabolism in humansM Krebs
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine III, University of Vienna Medical School, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Diabetologia 46:917-25. 2003..The study was designed to examine the contribution of direct (substrate-mediated) and indirect (hormone-mediated) effects of amino acids on hepatic glucose metabolism in healthy men...
- Long-term mortality and incidence of renal dialysis and transplantation in type 1 diabetes mellitusM Stadler
Hietzing Hospital, Third Medical Department, Wolkersbergenstrasse, 11130 Vienna, Austria
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:3814-20. 2006....
- Effects of short-term leptin exposure on triglyceride deposition in rat liverM Roden
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine III, Vienna, Austria
Hepatology 32:1045-9. 2000..01 mg/g, 25 nmol/L: 0.48 +/- 0.04 mg/g, control: 0.38 +/- 0.03 mg/g; P <.05). In conclusion, hyperleptinemia increases hepatic triglyceride content and may therefore contribute to hepatic steatosis in hyperleptinemic obese patients...
- Influence of the ACE gene insertion/deletion polymorphism on insulin sensitivity and impaired glucose tolerance in healthy subjectsFabrice Bonnet
Department of Medicine, Endocrinology Unit, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, université Rennes, Rennes, France
Diabetes Care 31:789-94. 2008..The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship between the ACE gene I/D polymorphism and both insulin sensitivity and glucose intolerance in a large cohort of healthy subjects...
- Body composition and common carotid artery remodeling in a healthy populationMichaela Kozakova
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Via Roma 67, 56126 Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3325-32. 2008..Body composition (BC) influences systemic hemodynamics and may participate in the remodeling of common carotid artery (CCA), independently of risk factors...
- In vivo and in vitro evidence for a hepatic modulation of the leptin signal in ratsG Brabant
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Eur J Clin Invest 34:831-7. 2004..They are released from adipose tissue but previous data suggest an additional formation outside the fat compartment. Here we tested the contribution of the liver in binding and modulating leptin in the circulation...