Genomes and Genes
Medical University of Vienna
Organization: Medical University of Vienna
- Hydrogen peroxide mediates EGCG-induced antioxidant protection in human keratinocytesLeonilla Elbling
Institute of Cancer Research, Department of Medicine I, Medical University of Vienna, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Free Radic Biol Med 49:1444-52. 2010....
- Current approach to intraoperative monitoring in liver transplantationClaus Georg Krenn
Department of Anaesthesia, General Intensive Care and Pain Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Curr Opin Organ Transplant 13:285-90. 2008....
- High-resolution magnetic resonance imaging and conventional magnetic resonance imaging on a standard field-strength magnetic resonance system compared to arthroscopy in patients with suspected meniscal tearsStefan Franz Nemec
Department of Radiology Division of Neuroradiology and Musculoskeletal Radiology, Medical University Vienna, Waehringerguertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Acad Radiol 15:928-33. 2008....
- Combined analysis of audiologic performance and the plasma biomarker stromal cell-derived factor 1a in type 2 diabetic patientsBenjamin Loader
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Otol Neurotol 29:739-44. 2008....
- [Frequency of different forms of dementia at the Department of Neuropathology of the Hungarian National Institute of Psychiatry and Neurology during a 3-year period]Gábor Géza Kovács
Institute of Neurology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Ideggyogy Sz 61:24-32. 2008..Only neuropathologic examination gives definite diagnosis. Differences in the reported frequency may be related to factors such as the age or gender of subjects with dementia...
- Plasma osteopontin increases after bariatric surgery and correlates with markers of bone turnover but not with insulin resistanceMichaela Riedl
Department of Medicine III, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, Vienna, Austria
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:2307-12. 2008..OPN levels are elevated in the plasma and adipose tissue of obese subjects, and are decreased with diet-induced weight loss...
- Diagnostic grand rounds in undergraduate medical educationAndrea Praschinger
Medical University of Vienna, Core Unit for Medical Education BEMAW, Spitalgasse 23, BT87, PO 10, A 1097 Vienna, Austria
Med Educ 41:1107-8. 2007
- [Pharmacotherapy of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and comorbid disorders]Georg Wiesegger
Universitätsklinik für Psychiatrie und Pyschotherapie, Klinische Abteilung für Biologische Psychiatrie, Medizinische Universität Wein
Neuropsychiatr 21:187-206. 2007..Only in case of unchanged persistence of comorbid symptoms specific pharmacological therapy should be combined. In comorbid anxiety disorders atomoxetine can be used as first-line treatment...
- Malaria in pregnancy before and after the implementation of a national IPTp program in GabonMichael Ramharter
Medical Research Unit, Albert Schweitzer Hospital, Lambarene, Gabon
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:418-22. 2007..These effects were most pronounced in primi- and secundigravid women...
- Characteristics of polytrauma patients between 1992 and 2002: what is changing?S Aldrian
Department of Trauma Surgery, University of Vienna Medical School, Austria
Injury 38:1059-64. 2007..To analyse the characteristics of polytrauma patients and the quality and progress of treatment regimens by an evaluation of a trauma population...
- Dedicated multi-detector CT of the esophagus: spectrum of diseasesAhmed Ba-Ssalamah
Department of Radiology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel, Vienna, Austria
Abdom Imaging 34:3-18. 2009..Multi-detector CT is a valuable tool for the evaluation of esophageal wall disease and serves as an adjunct to endoscopy...
- [Prostate cancer screening with a new marker based on circulating blood macrophages?]R Herwig
Urologische Klinik, Medizinische Universitat, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Wien, Osterreich
Urologe A 46:1066-70. 2007
- Current topics in brain dopamine research: a tribute to Professor Oleh HornykiewiczChristian Pifl
Center for Brain Research, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:563-5. 2006
- [Diabetes mellitus]Michael Roden
Medizinische Abteilung, Hanusch Krankenhaus, Wien, Osterreich
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:19-29; quiz 30. 2006
- Therapeutic hypothermia after cardiac arrest and myocardial infarctionMichael Holzer
Universitätsklinik für Notfallmedizin, Medizinische Universität Wien, Währinger Gürtel 18 20 6D, 1090 Wien, Austria
Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 22:711-28. 2008..Mild therapeutic hypothermia might be a promising new therapy to prevent reperfusion injury after myocardial infarction, but its use in daily clinical routine cannot be recommended with the available evidence...
- De novo tuberculosis during infliximab therapy in a patient with Behçet diseaseHans Skvara
Department of Dermatology, Division of Immunodermatology and Infectious Skin Diseases, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 7:616-9. 2009..Mycobacterium tuberculosis was identified. The history revealed recent contact to an individual with smear-positive tuberculosis. This constellation speaks in favor of a de novo tuberculosis infection with a fulminant course...
- A new instrument for pain assessment in the immediate postoperative periodA M Machata
Department of Anaesthesia, General Intensive Care and Pain Therapy, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Anaesthesia 64:392-8. 2009..Furthermore, the deviations of the absolute VAS values in individual patients for each descriptive pain term were significantly smaller with PAULA than with the standard VAS...
- The impact of PCR-generated recombination on diversity estimation of mixed viral populations by deep sequencingIrene Görzer
Department of Virology, Medical University of Vienna, Kinderspitalgasse 15, A 1095 Vienna, Austria
J Virol Methods 169:248-52. 2010..Thus, to estimate the full natural diversity within mixed viral populations using UDPS, artificial chimeras generated during the PCR step should be taken into account as a potential artefact...
- [Recruitment of physicians in Austria for graduate medical training in psychiatry]Fabian Friedrich
Universitatsklinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Medizinische Universität Wien, Osterreich
Psychiatr Prax 37:248-51. 2010..This study aimed to explore how many physicians intended to be psychiatrists and how many of those physicians practising as psychiatrists originally desired this area of expertise...
- Prevention and cure of rheumatoid arthritis: is it possible?Klaus P Machold
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 24:353-61. 2010..It remains to be seen whether earlier and more aggressive treatment of patients with not yet 'fully established' rheumatoid arthritis may succeed in preventing at least some of them from progressing to destructive arthritis...
- Gait changes precede overt arthritis and strongly correlate with symptoms and histopathological events in pristane-induced arthritisMarkus H Hoffmann
Division of Rheumatology, Internal Medicine III, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Arthritis Res Ther 12:R41. 2010..To investigate this issue a detailed analysis of the pathologic changes occurring during the prodromal and early stages of PIA was performed...
- Clinical characteristics of central European and North American samples of pregnant women screened for opioid agonist treatmentA S Unger
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital of Vienna, Austria
Eur Addict Res 16:99-107. 2010....
- Determination of enoxaparin with rotational thrombelastometry using the prothrombinase-induced clotting time reagentEva Schaden
Department of Anesthesiology, General Intensive Care and Pain Management, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 21:256-61. 2010..These promising assays should be further evaluated for monitoring anticoagulation in high-risk patients in clinical studies...
- [Functional magnetic resonance imaging with ultra-high fields]C Windischberger
Exzellenzzentrum Hochfeld MR, Medizinische Universität Wien, Lazarettgasse 14, A 1090, Wien, Osterreich
Radiologe 50:144-51. 2010..In addition to the challenges that arise with ultra-high magnetic fields possible solutions will be discussed...
- 2007 World Health Organization classification of tumours of the central nervous systemMajda M Thurnher
Department of Radiology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Cancer Imaging 9:S1-3. 2009..This article presents a brief review of the 2007 World Health Organization classification of tumours of the central nervous system...
- [Social anxiety in childhood and youth]Bibiana Schuch
Universitätsklinik für Psychiatrie des Kindes und Jugendalters, Medizinische Universität Wien, Wien, Austria
Psychiatr Danub 21:549-54. 2009..Some of the biological and psychosocial risks are well known. The analysis of these factors may help to understand the symptomatology for planning preventive and therapeutic interventions...
- [Depression and anxiety in inflammatory bowel disease]Gabriele Moser
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Gastroenterol Hepatol 32:9-12. 2009..This article reviews studies about the impact of depression and anxiety in inflammatory bowel diseases, and will show the importance to integrate psychosomatic care into clinical practice...
- EGFR/KRAS/BRAF mutations in primary lung adenocarcinomas and corresponding locoregional lymph node metastasesKatharina Schmid
Clinical Institute of Pathology and Department of Medicine I, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, Vienna A 1090, Austria
Clin Cancer Res 15:4554-60. 2009..The present study compared the mutational status of EGFR, KRAS, and BRAF in primary tumors with the one in corresponding lymph node metastases...
- Relationships between cardiac resynchronization therapy and N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide in patients with heart failure and markers of cardiac dyssynchrony: an analysis from the Cardiac Resynchronization in Heart Failure (CARE-HF) studyRudolf Berger
Department of Cardiology, General Hospital of St Pölten, St Polten, Austria
Eur Heart J 30:2109-16. 2009..We evaluated whether the prognostic value of NT-proBNP was influenced by CRT and the effects of CRT stratified according to NT-proBNP...
- Viability of preadipocytes in vitro: the influence of local anesthetics and pHMaike Keck
Department of Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery, Asklepios Clinic Birkenwerder, Birkenwerder, Germany
Dermatol Surg 35:1251-7. 2009..In this study, we examined the influence of different local anesthetics commonly used in fat harvest and the pH of the anesthetic solution on the viability of harvested preadipocytes...
- Interface pressure and stiffness of ready made compression stockings: comparison of in vivo and in vitro measurementsHugo Partsch
Department of Dermatology, Medical University, Vienna, Austria
J Vasc Surg 44:809-14. 2006..This study compared pressure and stiffness of ready-made compression stockings (Venosan) of different classes, measured on the leg and by laboratory testing...
- Conversion to everolimus in maintenance patients--current clinical strategiesErich Pohanka
Division of Nephrology and Dialysis, Internal Medicine III, Medizinische Universität Wien, Vienna A 1090, Austria
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:iii24-9. 2006..Abrupt conversion to everolimus from CsA was effective and well-tolerated in renal transplant recipients. A reduction in MPA dosage at the time of conversion may be necessary to prevent over-immunosuppression...
- Distraction osteogenesis with subperiosteal devices in edentulous mandiblesG Enislidis
University Hospital for Cranio Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Medical University Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 43:399-403. 2005..All the patients had severe complications and we conclude that the use of subperiosteal devices for vertical augmentation of edentulous mandibles is hazardous and offers no advantage over other surgical methods...
- Feto-amniotic shunting -- experience of six centresW Blaicher
Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for fetal development and behavior, University Hospital Vienna
Ultraschall Med 26:134-41. 2005..In order to weigh up the comparatively high risk of intervention against the possible benefit, we evaluated the value of different indications, the complication rate and the time span of drains in situ...
- [Ultrasound contrast agents: substance classes, pharmacokinetics, clinical applications, safety aspects]C Krestan
Universitatsklinik fur Radiodiagnostik, Medizinische Universität Wien
Radiologe 45:513-9. 2005..Finally this paper discusses the safety profile of these agents, which has become important due to the increasing use of these agents...
- Thoracic transplantation and stem cell therapyWalter Klepetko
Department of Cardio Thoracic Surgery, Medical University Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 26:S57-8; discussion S58. 2004..Potentially, transplantation at a cellular level using various forms of stem cells becomes an additional therapeutic approach...
- A SAGE-based comparison between glomerular and aortic endothelial cellsGürkan Sengoelge
Division of Nephrology and Dialysis, Dept of Medicine III, Medical Univ Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, A 1090, Vienna, Austria
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 288:F1290-300. 2005..Furthermore, we have identified the first known transcript predominant in glomerular endothelium in vivo...
- Content comparison of occupation-based instruments in adult rheumatology and musculoskeletal rehabilitation based on the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and HealthTanja A Stamm
Vienna Medical University, Vienna, Austria
Arthritis Rheum 51:917-24. 2004....
- Caspase-9 plays a marginal role in serum starvation-induced apoptosisChantal J Schamberger
Institute of Cancer Research, Medical University of Vienna, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Exp Cell Res 302:115-28. 2005..Altogether, these findings provide evidence that serum starvation-induced apoptosis may occur independently of the intrinsic pathway and that caspase-9 sequestration potentially represents a novel biological antiapoptotic strategy...
- Fatigue in a simple repetitive motor task: a combined electrophysiological and neuropsychological studyGeorg Dirnberger
Department of Neurology, Medical University Vienna, AKH Wien, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Wien, Austria
Brain Res 1028:26-30. 2004..In conjunction with previous studies, effects of fatigue could be separated from habituation...
- Genetically modified allergensVerena Niederberger
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Vienna General Hospital, Medical University of Vienna, Ebene 8J, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, Vienna A 1090, Austria
Immunol Allergy Clin North Am 24:727-38. 2004..This article summarizes data on genetically modified recombinant allergen derivatives with reduced allergenic activity, which may be used to improve the safety and efficacy of specific immunotherapy...
- Extracorporeal shockwave treatment is effective in calcific tendonitis of the shoulder. A randomized controlled trialJohannes Pleiner
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 116:536-41. 2004..Calcific tendonitis of the shoulder is often associated with chronic pain and impairment of function. Extracorporeal shockwave therapy (ESWT) is considered to be a treatment option. We compared the effects of two different ESWT regimens...
- Use of cost-effectiveness analysis in health-care resource allocation decision-making: how are cost-effectiveness thresholds expected to emerge?Hans Georg Eichler
Vienna Center for Pharmaceutical Policy, Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Value Health 7:518-28. 2004..It is expected that thresholds for CE ratios may be established for the acceptance of reimbursement or formulary listing...
- bFGF rescues 423-cells from serum starvation-induced apoptosis downstream of activated caspase-3Chantal J Schamberger
Institute of Cancer Research, Medical University of Vienna, Borschkegasse 8a, 1090 Vienna, Austria
FEBS Lett 573:19-25. 2004..Our data suggest that the "point-of-no-return" in death-induced cells has to be moved downstream of activated caspase-3...
- Decreased interferon-gamma response in respiratory syncytial virus compared to other respiratory viral infections in infantsJ H Aberle
Institutes of Virology and Environmental Hygiene, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Clin Exp Immunol 137:146-50. 2004....
- The Malmö International Brother Study (MIBS). Genetic defects and inhibitor development in siblings with severe hemophilia AChristine Mannhalter
Clinical Institute of Medical and Chemical Laboratory, Diagnostics, Molecular Biology Division, University of Vienna Medical School, Vienna, Austria
Haematologica 90:869A. 2005
- Bone marrow stromal cells can provide a local environment that favors migration and formation of tubular structures of endothelial cellsReinhard Gruber
Department of Oral Surgery, Vienna Medical University, Vienna, Austria
Tissue Eng 11:896-903. 2005..These data indicate that mesenchymal progenitor cells can provide a local environment that supports the ingrowth of blood vessels into a defect site...
- Effect of endoscopic thoracic sympathetic block on plantar hyperhidrosisChristoph Neumayer
Department of General Surgery, University Clinic of Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Arch Surg 140:676-80; discussion 680. 2005..Most patients have combined palmo-plantar or palmo-axillary-plantar HH. This study evaluates the clinical outcome of patients with upper limb HH with special emphasis on plantar sweating and patients' quality of life...
- Intracranial hypertension in fulminant hepatic failureA Bacher
Department of Anesthesiology and General Intensive Care, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Transplant Proc 38:783-5. 2006
- [Results of cementless hip arthroplasty]A Grübl
Klinik für Orthopädie, Medizinische Universität Wien, Maurer Lange Gasse 39 41 10, 1230, Wien
Radiologe 46:779-82, 784. 2006..The number one reason for revision is polyethylene wear and subsequent osteolysis. Metal-on-metal and ceramic-on-ceramic bearings show less wear but osteolysis continues to be a problem...
- The effect of intensified extracorporeal photochemotherapy on long-term survival in patients with severe acute graft-versus-host diseaseHildegard T Greinix
Medical University of Vienna, Department of Internal Medicine I, Bone Marrow Transplantation, Austria
Haematologica 91:405-8. 2006..We conclude that intensified ECP is highly effective in acute GVHD and that sustained responses are associated with over 50% long-term survival...
- Effects of a red clover extract (MF11RCE) on endometrium and sex hormones in postmenopausal womenMartin Imhof
Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Department of Gynecological Endocrinology and Reproductive Medicine, University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Maturitas 55:76-81. 2006..To evaluate the effects of a non-prescription red clover extract (MF11 RCE, Melbrosin International, Vienna, Austria) on selected sex hormones and endometrium in postmenopausal women...
- [Thyroid dysfunction in aged persons]Michael Weissel
Klinik fur Innere Medizin III, Medizinische Universität Wien, Wien, Austria
Wien Med Wochenschr 155:458-62. 2005..Finally, the differences of treating elderly patients with thyroid dysfunction in comparison to treating young patients is discussed. In this discussion the impact of subclinical disturbances of thyroid dysfunction is included...
- Topical administration of Caroverine in somatic tinnitus treatment: proof-of-concept studyKlaus Ehrenberger
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Int Tinnitus J 11:34-7. 2005..These results encouraged us to design consequential GCP-conform phase 2 and phase 3 studies...
- Fractalkine receptor polymorphisms V2491 and T280M as genetic risk factors for restenosisAlexander Niessner
Department of Internal Medicine II, Division of Cardiology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Thromb Haemost 94:1251-6. 2005..Recognition of these inherited risk modifiers may help to individualize treatment of coronary stenosis...
- Imaging characteristics of toxoplasmosis encephalitis after bone marrow transplantation: report of two cases and review of the literatureC Mueller-Mang
Department of Radiology, Neuroradiology Section, University Hospital Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, 1090, Vienna, Austria
Neuroradiology 48:84-9. 2006..To our knowledge, this is the first report analyzing the appearance of cerebral toxoplasmosis on diffusion-weighted MR imaging (DWI)...
- Advantage of three dimensional animated teaching over traditional surgical videos for teaching ophthalmic surgery: a randomised studyA Prinz
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, 1090 Wien, Austria
Br J Ophthalmol 89:1495-9. 2005..The aim of the study was to assess the effect of 3D animations on the understanding of cataract and glaucoma surgery among medical students...
- The carboxyl terminus of the Galpha-subunit is the latch for triggered activation of heterotrimeric G proteinsChristian Nanoff
Institute of Pharmacology, Center of Biomolecular Medicine and Pharmacology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Mol Pharmacol 69:397-405. 2006..We propose that the receptor can engage the C terminus of the alpha-subunit to destabilize nucleotide binding from the "back side" of the nucleotide binding pocket...
- [Scaphoid fractures--operative or conservative treatment? A CT-based classification]B Karle
Klinische Abteilung für Wiederherstellende und Plastische Chirurgie, Universitatsklinik fur Chirurgie, Medizinische Universitat, Allgemeines Krankenhaus Wien, Osterreich
Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 37:260-6. 2005..We recommend a CT scan of the scaphoid, if there is any doubt about the diagnosis or the stability of the scaphoid fracture. In any case, a CT scan has to be ordered to justify a conservative treatment...
- Differential role of TGF-beta1/bFGF and ET-1 in graft fibrosis in heart failure patientsSeyedhossein Aharinejad
Department of Cardio Thoracic Surgery, Vienna Medical University, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Am J Transplant 5:2185-92. 2005..ET-1 might be a major pathologic trigger for graft fibrosis in DCM...
- [Cystic fibrosis--the most frequent life-shortening autosomal recessive disease]Rotraud Wieser
Abteilung für Humangenetik, Klinisches Institut für Medizinische und Chemische Labordiagnostik, Medizinische Universität Wien, Wien, Osterreich
Wien Med Wochenschr 155:268-72. 2005..Since 4% of white Europeans and North Americans are healthy heterozygous carriers of CF, the molecular diagnosis of this disease, offered in the context of genetic counselling by a specialist in human genetics, is of great importance...
- The strategic approach of managing healthcare data exchange in AustriaG Duftschmid
Medical University of Vienna, Department of Medical Computer Sciences, Spitalgasse 23, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Methods Inf Med 43:124-32. 2004..Efficient application on a national level requires a uniform approach to the management of healthcare data exchange, avoiding isolated solutions that are expensive and also incompatible...