Brendan J McMorran
Affiliation: University of Tasmania
- Novel neutrophil-derived proteins in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid indicate an exaggerated inflammatory response in pediatric cystic fibrosis patientsBrendan J McMorran
Menzies Research Institute, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Australia
Clin Chem 53:1782-91. 2007..To further define the pulmonary inflammatory response, we conducted a proteome-based screen of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) collected from young children with and without CF experiencing endobronchial infection...
- Platelets kill intraerythrocytic malarial parasites and mediate survival to infectionBrendan J McMorran
Menzies Research Institute, University of Tasmania, Private Bag 23, Hobart, Tasmania 7000, Australia
Science 323:797-800. 2009..These results indicate a protective function for platelets in the early stages of erythrocytic infection distinct from their role in cerebral malaria...
- A novel ENU-mutation in ankyrin-1 disrupts malaria parasite maturation in red blood cells of miceAndreas Greth
The Menzies Research Institute of Tasmania, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Australia
PLoS ONE 7:e38999. 2012..05). We conclude that increased malaria resistance due to ankyrin-1 deficiency is caused by the intraerythrocytic death of P. chabaudi parasites...
- Erythrocytic Iron Deficiency Enhances Susceptibility to Plasmodium chabaudi Infection in Mice Carrying a Missense Mutation in Transferrin Receptor 1Patrick M Lelliott
Australian National University, John Curtin School of Medical Research, Canberra, ACT, Australia, and Macquarie University, Australian School of Advanced Medicine, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Infect Immun 83:4322-34. 2015..These findings may have implications for the management of iron deficiency in the context of malaria. ..
- Treatment of erythrocytes with the 2-cys peroxiredoxin inhibitor, Conoidin A, prevents the growth of Plasmodium falciparum and enhances parasite sensitivity to chloroquineMariana Brizuela
The Menzies Research Institute Tasmania, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
PLoS ONE 9:e92411. 2014..We also propose that molecules such as BBMQ that target host cell proteins may constitute a novel host-directed therapeutic approach for treating malaria. ..
- Gene complementation of airway epithelium in the cystic fibrosis mouse is necessary and sufficient to correct the pathogen clearance and inflammatory abnormalitiesDelvac Oceandy
Institute for Molecular Biosciences, Imperial College of Medicine at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Manresa Road, London SW3 6LR, UK
Hum Mol Genet 11:1059-67. 2002..Additionally, these data indicate the general role for epithelial cell-mediated events in the response of the lung to bacterial pathogens and the importance of CFTR in mediating these processes...