Affiliation: University of Adelaide
- Recent advances in treating cognitive impairment in schizophreniaCherrie Galletly
Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Suite 13, The Adelaide Clinic Consulting Suites, 33 Park Tce Gilberton, Adelaide, South Australia 5081, Australia
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 202:259-73. 2009..Whilst some of the antipsychotic drugs have shown some selective benefits, there is some controversy about the extent of these benefits...
- Clozapine improves working memory updating in schizophreniaCherrie A Galletly
University of Adelaide Department of Psychiatry, Ward 1G, Lyell McEwin Health Service, Oldham Rd, Elizabeth Vale, South Australia 5112, Australia
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 15:601-8. 2005..There was also a partial normalization of N1 amplitude, suggesting improvement in early stimulus evaluation...
- The employment of consumers in mental health services: politically correct tokenism or genuinely useful?Paul Nestor
Mental Health Services, Central Northern Adelaide Health Service, Salisbury, SA, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 16:344-7. 2008..The aim of this paper is to examine the role of consumers as service providers and to describe the successful employment of peer support workers in a public mental health service...
- Medical student teaching in the private sector - An overlooked opportunity?Cherrie A Galletly
Ramsay Health Care SA Mental Health Services, Adelaide, SA, and Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, and Northern Adelaide Local Health Network, SA, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 24:198-200. 2016..This paper explores the learning opportunities in the private sector. We report the South Australian experience; medical students have been taught in Ramsay Health Care (SA) Mental Health facilities for more than 23 years...
- A clinical repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation service in Australia: 6 years onCherrie A Galletly
The Adelaide Clinic, Ramsay Health Care SA Mental Health Services, Adelaide, SA, Australia Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia Northern Adelaide Local Health Network, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 49:1040-7. 2015..There is considerable research evidence for the effectiveness of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation in the treatment of depression. However, there is little information about its acceptability and outcomes in clinical settings...
- Do people with schizophrenia lack emotional intelligence?Sara Dawson
School of Psychology, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Schizophr Res Treatment 2012:495174. 2012....
- The relationship between Hippocampal asymmetry and working memory processing in combat-related PTSD - a monozygotic twin studyTimothy Hall
Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
Biol Mood Anxiety Disord 2:21. 2012..abstract:..
- Evaluating health literacy in people with mental illness using the Test of Functional Health Literacy in AdultsCherrie Galletly
Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Adelaide, SA, Australia
Nurs Outlook 60:316-21. 2012..To investigate health literacy in people with mental illness living in urban Australia, and to evaluate the relationships between medication adherence and health literacy...
- Cardiometabolic risk factors in people with psychotic disorders: the second Australian national survey of psychosisCherrie A Galletly
Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 46:753-61. 2012..To determine the prevalence of cardiometabolic risk factors in Australian adults with a psychotic disorder...
- A randomized trial comparing repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation given 3 days/week and 5 days/week for the treatment of major depression: is efficacy related to the duration of treatment or the number of treatments?C Galletly
The Adelaide Clinic, Ramsay Health Care SA Mental Health Services, South Australia
Psychol Med 42:981-8. 2012..Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) has been shown to be an effective treatment for depression. However, there has been little research to determine optimal parameters for treatment...
- Psychotic symptoms in young adults exposed to childhood trauma--a 20 year follow-up studyCherrie Galletly
University of Adelaide, Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, The Adelaide Clinic, 33 Park Tce, Adelaide, South Australia 5081, Australia
Schizophr Res 127:76-82. 2011..Subjects exposed to bushfires as children did not have a greater risk of psychosis. Our results indicate that exposure to multiple traumas, rather than a single major trauma, increases the risk of later psychosis...
- Bed accessibility in a private psychiatric hospitalCherrie Galletly
Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, The University of Adelaide, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 19:160-2. 2011..This project aimed to determine the time to admission for patients referred to an acute private psychiatric hospital, and to identify factors contributing to time intervals between referral and admission...
- Improving medical student attitudes towards people with schizophreniaCherrie Galletly
Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Ramsay Health Care Mental Health Services, Northern Mental Health, South Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 45:473-6. 2011..To develop and evaluate an intervention for final year medical students to reduce stigma against people with schizophrenia...
- A practical guide to setting up a repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) serviceCherrie Galletly
Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 18:314-7. 2010..This paper outlines the process of developing a transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) service in a private hospital setting, to provide a model for similar services elsewhere in Australia and New Zealand...
- Psychological benefits of a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet in obese women with polycystic ovary syndrome--a pilot studyCherrie Galletly
Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, The University of Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Appetite 49:590-3. 2007..Due to enhanced feelings of well-being, it is possible that HPLC diets may be associated with better compliance and hence be more successful in the long term treatment of obesity...
- Crossing professional boundaries in medicine: the slippery slope to patient sexual exploitationCherrie A Galletly
University of Adelaide, Lyell McEwin Health Service, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Med J Aust 181:380-3. 2004..Public pressure for more punitive responses is likely if the profession is not seen to be doing all it can to deal with these issues effectively, and to be cooperating with other responsible agencies...
- Impaired updating of working memory in schizophreniaCherrie A Galletly
Division of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory, The Flinders University of South Australia, SA, Australia
Int J Psychophysiol 63:265-74. 2007..These results suggest that there is a specific impairment in the ability to update working memory in schizophrenia, and that this is associated with poverty of engagement with the environment...
- Differentiating cortical patterns of cognitive dysfunction in schizophrenia and posttraumatic stress disorderCherrie A Galletly
Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Elanor Harrald Building, Frome Rd, Adelaide 5000, South Australia, Australia
Psychiatry Res 159:196-206. 2008..This study demonstrates that there are specific patterns of cognitive dysfunction associated with schizophrenia and with PTSD...
- Confirmation biases across the psychosis continuum: the contribution of hypersalient evidence-hypothesis matchesRyan Balzan
School of Psychology, The University of Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Br J Clin Psychol 52:53-69. 2013....
- Relationships between cognitive deficits, symptoms and quality of life in schizophreniaKara Savilla
Country Psychology Services, Families SA, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 42:496-504. 2008..The aim of the present study was to investigate the relationships between cognitive function, symptoms and quality of life (QOL) in schizophrenia...
- Assessing cognition in schizophrenia: a comparison of clinician and computerized test administrationFaye Forbes
School of Psychology, Flinders University, Bedford Park, Australia
Appl Neuropsychol Adult 19:9-15. 2012..This finding was not affected by the presence of negative symptoms. Our results support the use of computerized cognitive testing for people with schizophrenia...
- Prospective associations between childhood low-level lead exposure and adult mental health problems: the Port Pirie cohort studyAlexander C McFarlane
Centre for Traumatic Stress Studies, School of Population Health, University of Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia
Neurotoxicology 39:11-7. 2013..However, more prospective research using large and representative samples is needed to substantiate these results. ..
- What do 1000 smokers with mental illness say about their tobacco use?Maxie Ashton
Adelaide Health Service, Mental Health Directorate, Department for Health and Ageing, Adelaide, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 47:631-6. 2013..To determine what motivates smokers with mental illness to participate in a smoking cessation or reduction programme and to report their attendance and cessation rates...
- Practical considerations in the use of ultrabrief ECT in clinical practiceCherrie Galletly
From the Discipline of Psychiatry, The University of Adelaide Ramsay Mental Health Services SA, Ramsay Health Care and Northern Mental Health, Adelaide Metro Mental Health Directorate, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
J ECT 30:10-4. 2014..Previous research has shown that more treatments are needed with UB ECT; however, there has not been any previous research into the impact of prescribing UB ECT on length of stay...
- Cognitive deficit awareness in schizophrenia: absent, intact, or somewhere in-between?Ryan P Balzan
a School of Psychology, Flinders University, Bedford Park, SA, Australia
Cogn Neuropsychiatry 19:471-84. 2014..However, research investigating whether patients with schizophrenia show a deficit awareness remains unclear. The present study aimed to replicate and extend previous research comparing subjective and objective measures of cognition...
- Maintaining remission of depression with repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation during pregnancy: a case reportCassandra Burton
Ramsay Healthcare SA Mental Health Services, 33 Park Tce, Gilberton, SA, 5081, Australia
Arch Womens Ment Health 17:247-50. 2014..There were no adverse effects to the patient or her infant during the pregnancy or in the post-natal period. Maintenance rTMS may be an effective and feasible treatment option for depression during pregnancy. ..
- The experiences of Australian parents with psychosis: the second Australian National Survey of PsychosisLinda Campbell
School of Psychology, Faculty of Science and Information Technology, University of Newcastle, Ourimbah, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 46:890-900. 2012..Previous research outlines many challenges associated with parenting by people with severe mental illness. However, there is a limited research describing parenting experiences of mothers and fathers who have psychosis...
- Peer workers' role in smoking-cessation groups for people with mental illnessMaxie Ashton
Tobacco and Mental Illness Project, Adelaide Health Service, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 21:246-8. 2013..The objective of this article is to evaluate the impact of peer workers' involvement as co-leaders in smoking-cessation programmes provided within mental health services...
- Reasoning heuristics across the psychosis continuum: the contribution of hypersalient evidence-hypothesis matchesRyan Balzan
School of Psychology, University of Adelaide, Australia
Cogn Neuropsychiatry 17:431-50. 2012..e., when the probability of an outcome is based on its similarity with its parent population) and availability (i.e., estimates of frequency based on the ease with which relevant events come to mind)...
- 'Walk-ins': developing a nursing role to manage unscheduled presentations to a community mental health clinicChristopher Crismani
Central Northern Adelaide Health Service, Salisbury, SA, Australia
Contemp Nurse 39:12-9. 2011..Our study suggested that a walk-in clinic is preferred by many consumers, is efficient in terms of staff time, and is able to provide a high quality service responding to a wide range of presenting problems...
- Evaluation of a community-based smoking cessation programme for people with severe mental illnessMaxie Ashton
Adelaide Mental Health Directorate Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Tob Control 24:275-80. 2015..To evaluate the effectiveness of a smoking cessation programme for smokers living with mental illness, provided within community mental health services, and determine factors which impact on the rates of cessation...
- Parents with serious mental illness: differences in internalised and externalised mental illness stigma and gender stigma between mothers and fathersMelanie Lacey
School of Psychology, Faculty of Science and Information Technology, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, NSW, Australia
Psychiatry Res 225:723-33. 2015..Mental illness and gender stigma predicted poorer self-reported parenting experiences for both mothers and fathers. These findings may assist in tailoring interventions for mothers and fathers with SMI. ..
- Early recognition of anti-N-methyl D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor encephalitis presenting as acute psychosisJessica Tidswell
Medical Intern, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 21:596-9. 2013..We present a case of anti-N-methyl D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor encephalitis that illustrates the dilemma that psychiatrists face in evaluating patients with first episode psychosis...
- Sexual dysfunction in men treated with depot antipsychotic drugs: a pilot studyDavid Plevin
Discipline of Psychiatry, University of Adelaide, The Adelaide Clinic, 33 Park Terrace, Gilberton, Adelaide, SA 5081, Australia
Sex Health 4:269-71. 2007..We investigated the relationship between sexual function and serum concentrations of prolactin and testosterone in men receiving regular long-acting depot injections of antipsychotic medication...
- Evidence-based medicine evaluation of electrophysiological studies of the anxiety disordersC Richard Clark
Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory, School of Psychology, Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Clin EEG Neurosci 40:84-112. 2009....
- The effects of verbalisation on cognitive performance in schizophrenia: a pilot study using tasks from the Delis Kaplan Executive Function SystemKirsty E Harvey
School of Psychology, University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Neuropsychol Rehabil 19:733-41. 2009..When developing cognitive remediation strategies for people with schizophrenia, consideration should be given to the nature and cognitive demands of each task before recommending verbalisation strategies...
- A scholarly endeavour: some practical tips on completing the scholarly projectShuichi Suetani
Registrar, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woodville, SAClinical lecturer, The University of Adelaide, SA, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 23:29-31. 2015..The current article aims to assist trainees to complete the scholarly project component of the 2012 Competency Based Fellowship Program. Practical tips on how to achieve competency in the scholarly project are outlined and discussed...
- Determinants of high rates of smoking among people with psychosis living in a socially disadvantaged region in South AustraliaLisa Hahn
1Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 48:70-9. 2014..This study aimed to identify factors associated with the high rates of smoking amongst people with psychosis living in a disadvantaged region in Adelaide, South Australia...
- A Report on the Introduction of Ultrabrief Pulse Width ECT in a Private Psychiatric HospitalCherrie Galletly
From the Ramsay Health Care SA Mental Health and University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
J ECT 28:59. 2012..Courses of treatment were longer with UB ECT, which was reflected in an increased length of stay...
- Accomplishments of the thought disordered person: a case study in psychiatrist-patient interactionCherrie Galletly
Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Northern Mental Health, Adelaide, Australia
Med Hypotheses 77:900-4. 2011..The research and clinical literature portrays the thought disordered person as incapable of meaningful social interaction. This model views thought disorder exclusively as a brain dysfunction, evidenced by dysfunctions in speech...
- How effective is a hospital at home service for people with acute mental illness?Rajan Singh
North East Hospital at Home, Central Northern Adelaide Health Service, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 18:512-6. 2010..This study evaluates HAH treatment for people with an acute episode of psychiatric illness who would otherwise have been admitted to hospital...