John F Forbes
Affiliation: University of Newcastle
- Choosing between endocrine therapy and chemotherapy--or is there a role for combination therapy?John F Forbes
Department of Surgical Oncology, University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Breast Cancer Res Treat 75:S37-44; discussion S57-9. 2002....
- The use of early adjuvant aromatase inhibitor therapy: contributions from the BIG 1-98 letrozole trialJohn F Forbes
ANZ Breast Cancer Trials Group, University of Newcastle, Department of Surgical Oncology, Newcastle Mater Hospital, Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Semin Oncol 33:S2-7. 2006..Women at increased risk for recurrence may obtain protective benefit from letrozole. Letrozole is generally well tolerated and is associated with a similar frequency of serious side effects, but fewer deaths, than tamoxifen...
- Reproducibility of visual assessment on mammographic densityJinnan Gao
Department of Surgical Oncology, School of Medical Practice and Public Health, University of Newcastle, Newcastle Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Warabrook, NSW, Australia
Breast Cancer Res Treat 108:121-7. 2008..The purpose of this study was to assess the inter-rater and intra-rater reliability based on visual subjective mammographic density measurements...
- Letrozole compared with tamoxifen for elderly patients with endocrine-responsive early breast cancer: the BIG 1-98 trialDiana Crivellari
IBCSG Coordinating Center, Effingerstrasse 40, CH 3008 Bern, Switzerland
J Clin Oncol 26:1972-9. 2008..To explore potential differences in efficacy, treatment completion, and adverse events (AEs) in elderly women receiving adjuvant tamoxifen or letrozole for five years in the Breast International Group (BIG) 1-98 trial...
- Effect of anastrozole and tamoxifen as adjuvant treatment for early-stage breast cancer: 100-month analysis of the ATAC trialJohn F Forbes
Lancet Oncol 9:45-53. 2008..We aimed to study long-term outcomes in the Arimidex, Tamoxifen, Alone or in Combination (ATAC) trial that compares anastrozole with tamoxifen after a median follow-up of 100 months...
- Cardiovascular adverse events during adjuvant endocrine therapy for early breast cancer using letrozole or tamoxifen: safety analysis of BIG 1-98 trialHenning Mouridsen
Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Oncol 25:5715-22. 2007..The purpose of the present study is to provide detailed updated information on these AEs in BIG 1-98...
- The role of the number of uninvolved lymph nodes in predicting locoregional recurrence in breast cancerPer Karlsson
Department of Oncology, University of Goteborg, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
J Clin Oncol 25:2019-26. 2007..To identify groups of early breast cancer patients with substantial risk (10-year risk > 20%) for locoregional failure (LRF) who might benefit from postmastectomy radiotherapy (RT)...
- Long-term results of tamoxifen prophylaxis for breast cancer--96-month follow-up of the randomized IBIS-I trialJack Cuzick
Centre for Epidemiology, Mathematics, and Statistics, Cancer Research UK, Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:272-82. 2007..We report an updated analysis of IBIS-I that focuses on the period after active treatment was completed, a time for which little evidence from other trials is available...
- Five years of letrozole compared with tamoxifen as initial adjuvant therapy for postmenopausal women with endocrine-responsive early breast cancer: update of study BIG 1-98Alan S Coates
International Breast Cancer Study Group IBCSG, IBCSG Coordinating Center, Bern, Switzerland
J Clin Oncol 25:486-92. 2007..Because this presentation may unduly reflect early events, the present analysis is limited to patients randomly assigned to the continuous therapy arms and includes protocol-defined updated results...
- Adjuvant chemotherapy followed by goserelin compared with either modality alone: the impact on amenorrhea, hot flashes, and quality of life in premenopausal patients--the International Breast Cancer Study Group Trial VIIIJurg Bernhard
International Breast Cancer Study Group IBCSG, Bern, Switzerland
J Clin Oncol 25:263-70. 2007....
- Re: Tamoxifen for the prevention of breast cancer: current status of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project P-1 studyJack Cuzick
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:643; author reply 643-4. 2006
- A comparison of letrozole and tamoxifen in postmenopausal women with early breast cancerBeat Thurlimann
Senology Center of Eastern Switzerland, Kantonsspital, St Gallen, and the Swiss Group for Clinical Cancer Research, Switzerland
N Engl J Med 353:2747-57. 2005..We compared letrozole with tamoxifen as adjuvant treatment for steroid-hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer in postmenopausal women...
- Randomized trial comparing axillary clearance versus no axillary clearance in older patients with breast cancer: first results of International Breast Cancer Study Group Trial 10-93Carl Magnus Rudenstam
West Swedish Breast Cancer Study Group, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Molndal, Göteborgsvägen 31, 431 80 Mölndal, Sweden
J Clin Oncol 24:337-44. 2006..We therefore investigated whether avoiding axillary surgery in older women would result in improved quality of life (QL) with similar disease-free survival (DFS) and overall survival (OS)...
- Systemic adjuvant therapies for early breast cancer: 15-year results for recurrence and survivalJohn F Forbes
Med J Aust 183:447-8. 2005
- Three years' follow-up from the ATAC trial is sufficient to change clinical practice: a debateMatti S Aapro
Clinique de Genolier, Genolier, Switzerland
Breast Cancer Res Treat 80:S3-11; discussion S13-8. 2003....
- Risk factors for joint symptoms in patients enrolled in the ATAC trial: a retrospective, exploratory analysisIvana Sestak
Cancer Research UK, Centre for Epidemiology, Mathematics, and Statistics, Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, London, UK
Lancet Oncol 9:866-72. 2008..The aim of this study was to assess the relative importance of different risk factors for treatment-emergent joint symptoms in patients assigned to anastrozole or tamoxifen as adjuvant treatment for postmenopausal breast cancer...
- Improving informed consent in clinical trials: successful piloting of a decision aidIlona Juraskova
J Clin Oncol 25:1443-4; author reply 1444. 2007
- Critical assessment of new risk factors for breast cancer: considerations for development of an improved risk prediction modelRichard J Santen
Department of Internal Medicine Endocrinology, University of Virginia Health System, Box 801416, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Endocr Relat Cancer 14:169-87. 2007..The BCPCG analyzed potentially available clinical material from previous prospective studies and determined that a large case/control study to evaluate these new factors might be feasible at this time...