G A Caplan
Affiliation: University of New South Wales
- Advance care planning and hospital in the nursing homeGideon A Caplan
Prince of Wales Hospital, Post Acute Care Services, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Age Ageing 35:581-5. 2006..the number of nursing home residents (NHRs) in hospital is increasing although hospital admission may be deleterious to their health...
- Home sweet home? Community care for older people in AustraliaEmily J Henderson
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Am Med Dir Assoc 9:88-94. 2008..The future inevitably presents huge challenges to those planning, implementing and providing care in this setting...
- Intervention to prevent further falls in older people who call an ambulance as a result of a fall: a protocol for the iPREFER randomised controlled trialA Stefanie Mikolaizak
Neuroscience Research Australia, University of New South Wales, Barker Street, Randwick, 2031 Sydney, NSW, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 13:360. 2013..The aim of this randomised controlled trial is to evaluate the effect of a timely and tailored falls assessment and management intervention on the number of subsequent falls and fall-related injuries for non-conveyed older fallers...
- Transcranial Doppler to measure cerebral blood flow in delirium superimposed on dementia. A cohort studyGideon A Caplan
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia Electronic address
J Am Med Dir Assoc 15:355-60. 2014..The main aims of this study were to investigate whether cerebral hypoperfusion could differentiate DSD from related entities, and the characteristics of that hypoperfusion...
- A meta-analysis of "hospital in the home"Gideon A Caplan
Post Acute Care Services, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, NSW
Med J Aust 197:512-9. 2012..To assess the effect of "hospital in the home" (HITH) services that significantly substitute for inhospital time on mortality, readmission rates, patient and carer satisfaction, and costs...
- Cerebrospinal fluid in long-lasting delirium compared with Alzheimer's dementiaGideon A Caplan
1 Department of Geriatric Medicine, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 65:1130-6. 2010..Delirium is a common syndrome affecting older people in hospital, whose pathophysiology is poorly understood, but sequelae of increased cognitive and functional impairment suggest neuronal loss...
- Re-engineering the elective surgical service of a tertiary hospital: a historical controlled trialG A Caplan
Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, NSW
Med J Aust 169:247-51. 1998..To study the clinical effects of re-engineering the processes associated with elective surgery...
- Does home treatment affect delirium? A randomised controlled trial of rehabilitation of elderly and care at home or usual treatment (The REACH-OUT trial)Gideon A Caplan
Post Acute Care Services, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, Sydney, New South Wales 2031, Australia
Age Ageing 35:53-60. 2006..A recent study of Hospital in the Home (admission substitution) noted less delirium in the home-treated group...
- Effect of hospital in the home treatment on physical and cognitive function: a randomized controlled trialGideon A Caplan
Post Acute Care Services, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:1035-8. 2005..We have previously shown that treatment in Hospital in the Home (HITH) results in less confusion and fewer bowel and bladder problems for these patients. However, it is not clear what impact HITH has on physical and cognitive function...
- Commentary: a history to look forward fromGideon A Caplan
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, NSW 2031, Australia
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 59:1159; discussion 1132-52. 2004
- A randomized, controlled trial of comprehensive geriatric assessment and multidisciplinary intervention after discharge of elderly from the emergency department--the DEED II studyGideon A Caplan
Post Acute Care Services, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, New South Wales, Australia
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:1417-23. 2004..To study the effects of comprehensive geriatric assessment (CGA) and multidisciplinary intervention on elderly patients sent home from the emergency department (ED)...
- Robine and Michel's "Looking forward to a general theory on population aging": Australia is still aging wellGideon A Caplan
Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick NSW 2031, Sydney, Australia
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 59:M598-9; athor reply M616-20. 2004
- Hospital in the home: a randomised controlled trialG A Caplan
Post Acute Care Services, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, NSW
Med J Aust 170:156-60. 1999..To compare treatment of acute illness at home and in hospital, assessing safety, effect on geriatric complications, and patient/carer satisfaction...
- Decreasing lengths of stay: the cost to the communityG Caplan
Prince of Wales Hospital and University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Aust N Z J Surg 69:433-7. 1999..Hospitals save money per patient by discharging earlier, but it is not known whether the costs to community services and unpaid caters outweigh the savings to the hospital...
- Risk of admission within 4 weeks of discharge of elderly patients from the emergency department--the DEED study. Discharge of elderly from emergency departmentG A Caplan
Post Acute Care Services, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, NSW, Australia
Age Ageing 27:697-702. 1998..to identify risk factors for admission for patients aged 75 years and older after discharge from the emergency department (DEED: discharge of elderly from emergency department)...
- Malnutrition screening and early nutrition intervention in hospitalised patients in acute aged care: a randomised controlled trialM Holyday
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, New South Wales, 2031, Australia
J Nutr Health Aging 16:562-8. 2012..This is recognised to impact on patient outcomes and health costs. This study aimed to assess the impact of nutrition screening and intervention on these parameters...
- Recruitment of volunteers to improve vitality in the elderly: the REVIVE studyG A Caplan
Geriatric Medicine, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Intern Med J 37:95-100. 2007..The aim of this study was to test a volunteer-mediated delirium prevention programme for efficacy, cost-effectiveness and sustainability on an Australian geriatric ward...
- Self-rated health in the unwell elderly presenting to the emergency departmentDaniel D Wong
The Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Emerg Med Australas 19:196-202. 2007..These studies, however, have largely focused on well community-dwelling elderly. We assessed whether the predictive value of SRH would still be valid for the acutely unwell older person presenting to the ED...
- Hospital in the home: a concept under questionGideon A Caplan
Med J Aust 184:599-600. 2006
- Older persons in the emergency medical care systemJane McCusker
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:2103-5. 2002
- Managing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in the community. A randomized controlled trial of home-based pulmonary rehabilitation for elderly housebound patientsAnne Marie Boxall
Post Acute Care Services, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick NSW, Sydney, Australia
J Cardiopulm Rehabil 25:378-85. 2005..This randomized controlled trial assesses the effects of a 12-week home-based pulmonary rehabilitation program for 60 housebound COPD patients older than 60 years...