Affiliation: University of Sydney
- Genetic counselling and testing for inherited gene mutations in newly diagnosed patients with breast cancer: a review of the existing literature and a proposed research agendaBettina Meiser
Department of Medical Oncology, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, NSW 2031, Australia
Breast Cancer Res 10:216. 2008....
- Family geneticsKristine Barlow-Stewart
The Centre for Genetics Education of NSW Health, Faculty of Medicine, Sydney, New South Wales
Aust Fam Physician 36:802-5. 2007..A comprehensive family history, regularly updated and including the patient's ancestry and cultural background can aid in diagnosis, risk prediction, referral and genetic testing...
- Verification of consumers' experiences and perceptions of genetic discrimination and its impact on utilization of genetic testingKristine Barlow-Stewart
Centre for Genetics Education, NSW Health, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW 2065, Australia
Genet Med 11:193-201. 2009..To undertake a systematic process of verification of consumer accounts of alleged genetic discrimination...
- Working in partnership with support services in the era of the "new genetics"Kristine K Barlow-Stewart
Centre for Genetics Education, Royal North Shore Hospital, PO Box 317, St Leonards, NSW 1590, Australia
Med J Aust 178:515-9. 2003..More than 750 Australian support groups assist individuals and families with genetic conditions through contact with peers, information and education resources for patients and professionals, practical advice about coping and advocacy...
- Toward cultural competence in cancer genetic counseling and genetics education: lessons learned from Chinese-AustraliansKristine Barlow-Stewart
Center for Genetics Education, Bldg 36, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW 2065, Australia
Genet Med 8:24-32. 2006..In societies such as Australia with a strong multicultural makeup, culturally determined attitudes to genetics, testing, and counseling may be incompatible with current genetics service provision...
- A Psycho-Educational Intervention for People with a Family History of Depression: Pilot ResultsBettina Meiser
Psychosocial Research Group, Prince of Wales Clinical School, UNSW, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Genet Couns . 2016..LINKS was judged highly acceptable by this sample of GP attendees, and results indicate that an assessment of its effectiveness in a larger controlled trial is warranted...
- Knowledge, attitudes and beliefs of Arabic-Australians concerning cancerMona Saleh
Centre for Genetics Education, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, Sydney, Australia
Psychooncology 21:195-202. 2012....
- Streamlined genetic education is effective in preparing women newly diagnosed with breast cancer for decision making about treatment-focused genetic testing: a randomized controlled noninferiority trialVeronica F Quinn
Prince of Wales Clinical School, Faculty of Medicine, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Genet Med . 2016..Increasingly, women newly diagnosed with breast cancer are being offered treatment-focused genetic testing (TFGT). As the demand for TFGT increases, streamlined methods of genetic education are needed...
- Preferences regarding targeted education and risk assessment in people with a family history of major depressive disorderVeronica Quinn
Psychosocial Research Group, Prince of Wales Clinical School, The University of New South Wales, Level 4, Lowy Research Centre C25, NSW, 2052, Sydney, Australia
J Genet Couns 23:785-95. 2014..Genetic counselors are likely to be called upon increasingly to provide supportive counseling to assist clients at increased familial risk in interpreting and contextualizing such information once it becomes available...
- Attitudes of medical genetics practitioners and psychiatrists toward communicating with patients about genetic risk for psychiatric disordersYi Zhou Zhou
aSchool of Medicine bSchool of Psychiatry cPrince of Wales Clinical School dSchool of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales eBlack Dog Institute fBrain Sciences UNSW, Sydney gCentre for Genetics Education, Royal North Shore Hospital hSydney Medical School, University of Sydney iNeuroscience Research Australia, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Psychiatr Genet 24:94-101. 2014....
- Cluster randomized controlled trial of a psycho-educational intervention for people with a family history of depression for use in general practiceBettina Meiser
Psychosocial Research Group, Prince of Wales Clinical School, The University of New Sourth Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
BMC Psychiatry 13:325. 2013..The intervention will also incorporate a risk assessment tool. The content and delivery of the intervention will be pilot-tested...
- To know or not to know: an update of the literature on the psychological and behavioral impact of genetic testing for Alzheimer disease riskBelinda Rahman
Psychosocial Research Group, Department of Medical Oncology, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, NSW, Sydney, Australia
Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 16:935-42. 2012....
- Getting to the point: what women newly diagnosed with breast cancer want to know about treatment-focused genetic testingBettina Meiser
Department of Medical Oncology at Prince of Wales Hospital, Prince of Wales Clinical School at University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Oncol Nurs Forum 39:E101-11. 2012..To identify young women's information preferences regarding treatment-focused genetic testing (TFGT) and to develop and evaluate a novel educational resource...
- Exploring culture-specific differences in beliefs about causes, kinship and the heritability of major depressive disorder: the views of Anglo-Celtic and Chinese-AustraliansMimi Xu
School of Medicine, University of New South Wales, NSW, 2052, Sydney, Australia
J Genet Couns 22:613-24. 2013....
- An exploration of the cultural context of kinship and genetics amongst Arabic-Australians: implications for practiceMona Saleh
Centre for Genetics Education, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, Sydney, Australia
J Genet Couns 20:465-75. 2011..These include a lack of awareness of inherited cancer and the impact of consanguinity on the understanding of kinship in this community...
- A model of professional development for practicing genetic counselors: adaptation of communication skills training in oncologyKate L Dunlop
Centre for Genetics Education NSW Health, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, Sydney, Australia
J Genet Couns 20:217-30. 2011..The high level of satisfaction is a strong endorsement for ongoing communication skills training in this format as part of professional development...
- Family health history--a role in preventionKate Dunlop
The Centre for Genetics Education NSW Health, Royal North Shore Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales
Aust Fam Physician 39:793-4. 2010..Unless general practitioners proactively seek and discuss family health history, opportunities for prevention may be lost...
- Challenges faced by genetics service providers' practicing in a culturally and linguistically diverse population: an Australian experienceMona Saleh
Centre for Genetics Education, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Genet Couns 18:436-46. 2009....
- Referral of patients for pre-implantation genetic diagnosis: A survey of obstetriciansApril Morrow
Northern Clinical School, Kolling Institute of Medical Research, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 56:585-590. 2016..Previous Australian evidence suggested that women who are not informed about PGD by their obstetrician feel disempowered about not being given this option...
- "Melanoma: Questions and Answers." Development and evaluation of a psycho-educational resource for people with a history of melanomaNadine A Kasparian
Discipline of Paediatrics, School of Women s and Children s Health, UNSW Medicine, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, 2052, Australia
Support Care Cancer 24:4849-4859. 2016..Interventions addressing the supportive care needs of people with melanoma are rare, and needs are often overlooked. The study evaluated a newly developed, evidence-based, psycho-educational resource for people with melanoma...
- Understanding community beliefs of Chinese-Australians about cancer: initial insights using an ethnographic approachSoo See Yeo
Centre for Culture and Health, University of New South Wales, NSW 2052, Sydney, Australia
Psychooncology 14:174-86. 2005....
- Investigating genetic discrimination in Australia: opportunities and challenges in the early stagesSandra D Taylor
School of Social Work and Applied Human Sciences, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, Q Australia 4072
New Genet Soc 23:225-39. 2004..Attempted verification of alleged accounts of genetic discrimination will be a novel feature of the research. This paper overviews the early stages of the research, including conceptual challenges and their methodological implications...
- Genetic discrimination: too few dataMargaret F Otlowski
Faculty of Law, University of Tasmania, Australia
Eur J Hum Genet 11:1-2. 2003
- Australian empirical study into genetic discriminationMargaret F Otlowski
Faculty of Law, University of Tasmania, Tasmania, Australia
Genet Med 4:392-5. 2002....
- Major study commencing into genetic discrimination in AustraliaMargaret F Otlowski
Faculty of Law, University of Tasmania, GPO Box 252 89, Hobart, TAS, Australia
J Law Med 10:41-8. 2002....