B M McDermott
Affiliation: South Brisbane
- Preschool children perceived by mothers as irregular eaters: physical and psychosocial predictors from a birth cohort studyBrett M McDermott
Kids in Mind Research The Mater Centre for Service Research in Mental Health, Mater Community Services Building, South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Dev Behav Pediatr 29:197-205. 2008....
- Changing utilization of pro re nata ('as needed') sedation in a child and adolescent psychiatric inpatient unitAngela J Dean
Kids in Mind Research, Mater Child and Youth Mental Health Service, QLD, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 43:360-5. 2009..The secondary purpose was to assess whether changes in PRN sedation were related to changing patient characteristics...
- Eating disorders in children and adolescents: an updateBrett M McDermott
aMater Centre for Service Research in Mental Health and University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Curr Opin Psychiatry 18:407-10. 2005..Efforts to treat these individuals have been hampered by a poor evidence base for effective interventions. This article reviews research published during 2004 with a primary focus on this challenging clinical area...
- Family functioning in the aftermath of a natural disasterBrett M McDermott
Kids in Mind Research The Mater Center for Service Research in Mental Health, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
BMC Psychiatry 12:55. 2012....
- Social connectedness: a potential aetiological factor in the development of child post-traumatic stress disorderBrett McDermott
Mater Children s Hospital, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 46:109-17. 2012..The aim of this study was to investigate a new social connectedness factor and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in children who experienced a cyclone disaster...
- Patient aggression: a serious issue requiring a dedicated organisational responseBrett McDermott
Child and Youth Mental Health Service, Mater Medical Research Institute, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Med J Aust 196:154-5. 2012..Staff safety is improved by clear procedures for managing abuse and assault...
- Protocol for a randomised controlled trial of risk screening and early intervention comparing child- and family-focused cognitive-behavioural therapy for PTSD in children following accidental injuryJustin Kenardy
Centre of National Research on Disability and Rehabilitation Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Queensland, Herston QLD 4029, Australia
BMC Psychiatry 10:92. 2010..The present trial aims to evaluate and compare child- and family-focused versions of a cognitive-behavioural early intervention for PTSD following accidental injury...
- Longitudinal correlates of the persistence of irregular eating from age 5 to 14 yearsB M McDermott
Kids in Mind Research, The Mater Centre for Service Research in Mental Health and University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Acta Paediatr 99:68-71. 2010..To report the stability of parent-perceived child irregular eating from 6 months to 14 years of age and to investigate a predictive model inclusive of child and parent factors...
- Vulnerability factors for disaster-induced child post-traumatic stress disorder: the case for low family resilience and previous mental illnessBrett M McDermott
Kids in Mind Research Mater Center for Service Research in Mental Health, Level 2, Community Services Building, Annerley Road, South Brisbane, QLD 4101, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 44:384-9. 2010....
- Posttraumatic stress disorder and general psychopathology in children and adolescents following a wildfire disasterBrett M McDermott
Kids in Mind Research The Mater Center for Service Research in Mental Health, South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Can J Psychiatry 50:137-43. 2005....
- Predictors of maternal misclassifications of their offspring's weight status: a longitudinal studyA A Mamun
Longitudinal Studies Unit, School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Int J Obes (Lond) 32:48-54. 2008..Very little is known about the factors influencing parental misclassifications of a child's weight status. The aim of this study is to examine the predictors of maternal misclassifications of their adolescent offspring's weight status...
- Exposure to aggression and the impact on staff in a child and adolescent inpatient unitAngela J Dean
Kids in Mind Research, Mater Child and Youth Mental Health Service, South Brisbane QLD, Australia
Arch Psychiatr Nurs 24:15-26. 2010..These findings suggest that aggression is an important issue for staff working in child and adolescent settings and that aggression may impair the therapeutic capacity of staff...
- Gender differences in adolescents attending a drug and alcohol withdrawal serviceAngela J Dean
Kids in Mind Research, Mater Child and Youth Mental Health Service, Brisbane, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 29:278-85. 2010..This study aimed to explore gender differences in adolescents presenting to a withdrawal service...
- Physical aggression during admission to a child and adolescent inpatient unit: predictors and impact on clinical outcomesAngela J Dean
Kids in Mind Research, Mater Child and Youth Mental Health Service, South Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 42:536-43. 2008..The aim of the present study was to identify predictors of aggression in a child and adolescent inpatient unit and examine differences in clinical outcomes between aggressive and non-aggressive patients...
- Postdisaster emotional distress, depression and event-related variables: findings across child and adolescent developmental stagesBrett M McDermott
Department of Pediatrics, University of Western Australia, Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 36:754-61. 2002..Our objective was to investigate postdisaster depression and emotional distress psychopathology across a broad child and adolescent developmental range...
- The use of email in a child and adolescent mental health service: are staff ready?Matthew Cartwright
Mater Child and Youth Mental Health Service, South Brisbane, Australia
J Telemed Telecare 11:199-204. 2005....
- PRN sedation-patterns of prescribing and administration in a child and adolescent mental health inpatient serviceAngela J Dean
Kids in Mind Research, Mater Child and Youth Mental Health Service, 4101, South Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 15:277-81. 2006..To identify utilisation rates of prn (pro re nata) sedation in children and adolescents receiving inpatient psychiatric treatment, and to compare correlates of prn prescribing and administration...
- Psychotropic medication utilization in a child and adolescent mental health serviceAngela J Dean
Kids in Mind Research, Mater Child and Youth Mental Health Service, South Brisbane, Qld 4001, Australia
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 16:273-85. 2006..This study aimed to identify rates and correlates of psychotropic drug utilization in children and adolescents in inpatient and outpatient settings...
- Women who miscarry: The effectiveness and clinical utility of the Kessler 10 questionnaire in screening for ongoing psychological distressHelen M Stallman
Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove, Queensland, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 50:70-6. 2010..Early pregnancy loss has been linked to enduring psychological morbidity...
- Determination of risperidone and 9-Hydroxyrisperidone using HPLC, in plasma of children and adolescents with emotional and behavioural disordersTanya Jones
School of Pharmacy, Griffith University, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Biomed Chromatogr 23:929-34. 2009..5 ng/mL. Clinical application of the assay was demonstrated for analysis of post-dose (0.55-4.0 mg/day) samples from 28 paediatric patients (aged 6.9-17.9 years) who were taking risperidone orally for behavioural and emotional disorders...
- Adolescents' perceived weight associated with depression in young adulthood: a longitudinal studyAbdullah Al Mamun
Longitudinal Studies Unit, School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston Rd, Herston, QLD 4006, Australia
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:3097-105. 2007..The objective of this study is to examine whether adolescents' measured BMI and self- or mother's perception of weight status at age 14 are associated with depression at age 21...
- Parent and child report of family functioning in a clinical child and adolescent eating disorders sampleBrett M McDermott
University Department of Paediatric Psychiatry, GPO Box D184, Perth 6001, Western Australia, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 36:509-14. 2002....
- Severity of children's psychopathology and impairment and its relationship to treatment settingBrett M McDermott
Department of Psychiatry, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Psychiatr Serv 53:57-62. 2002..The study investigated the settings in which children and adolescents were treated to determine whether clinicians assigned individuals who had greater needs to more intensive treatment...
- A symposium on Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Embedding categorical constructs in contemporary child mental health approachesBrett M McDermott
University Department of Paediatrics, Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, GPO Box D184, Perth 6001, WA, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 36:481-3. 2002