Lynne C Giles
Affiliation: South Australia
- Social networks among older Australians: a validation of Glass's modelLynne C Giles
Faculty of Health Studies, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
J Cancer Epidemiol Prev 7:195-204. 2002..The purpose of the study was to validate a set of measures of social networks that will be useful in epidemiological studies of the health of older persons...
- Effect of social networks on 10 year survival in very old Australians: the Australian longitudinal study of agingLynne C Giles
Department of Rehabilitation and Aged Care, Flinders University, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide, South Australia 5001, Australia
J Epidemiol Community Health 59:574-9. 2005..To examine if social networks with children, relatives, friends, and confidants predict survival in older Australians over 10 years after controlling for a range of demographic, health, and lifestyle variables...
- The effects of social networks on disability in older AustraliansLynne C Giles
Department of Rehabilitation and Aged Care, Flinders University, GPO Box 2100 Adelaide South Australia 5001, Australia
J Aging Health 16:517-38. 2004..To investigate the effects of total social networks and specific social networks with children, relatives, friends, and confidants on disability in mobility and Nagi functional tasks...
- Do social networks affect the use of residential aged care among older Australians?Lynne C Giles
Department of Rehabilitation and Aged Care, Flinders University, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide 5001, Australia
BMC Geriatr 7:24. 2007..It remains unclear if there are differences in the effects of specific (with children, other relatives, friends and confidants) and total social networks upon use of low-level residential care and nursing homes...
- Can volunteer companions prevent falls among inpatients? A feasibility study using a pre-post comparative designLynne C Giles
Department of Rehabilitation and Aged Care, Flinders University, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide, South Australia, 5001, Australia
BMC Geriatr 6:11. 2006..We evaluated a falls prevention strategy consisting of the introduction of volunteers to 'sit' with patients identified as being at high risk of falling...
- Health-related Quality of Life among hospitalized older people awaiting residential aged careLynne C Giles
Department of Rehabilitation and Aged Care, Flinders University, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide, South Australia 5001
Health Qual Life Outcomes 7:71. 2009..The aim of the present study was to assess HRQoL and health outcomes at four months follow-up in a group of older people awaiting transfer to residential aged care...
- Effects of birth size, post-natal growth and current size on insulin resistance in 9-year-old children: a prospective cohort studyMelissa J Whitrow
Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, The University of Adelaide, Mail Drop 327, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Eur J Pediatr 172:1207-14. 2013..The potential influence of growth at around 3.5 years for HOMA-IR at 9 years warrants further investigation...
- The distribution of health services for older people in Australia: where does transition care fit?Lynne C Giles
Department of Rehabilitation and Aged Care, Flinders University, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide, SA 5001, Australia
Aust Health Rev 33:572-82. 2009....
- Falls in hospitalized patients: can nursing information systems data predict falls?Lynne C Giles
Department of Rehabilitation and Aged Care and Flinders Centre for Clinical Change and Health Care Research, Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
Comput Inform Nurs 24:167-72. 2006..The number of nursing units of care activated also predicted falls. Data collected from nursing information systems can be used to identify patients at high risk of falls...
- Transitional care facility for elderly people in hospital awaiting a long term care bed: randomised controlled trialMaria Crotty
Department of Rehabilitation and Aged Care, Flinders University, Repatriation General Hospital, Daw Park SA 5041, Australia
BMJ 331:1110. 2005..To assess the effectiveness of moving patients who are waiting in hospital for a long term care bed to an off-site transitional care facility...
- Home versus day rehabilitation: a randomised controlled trialMaria Crotty
Flinders University Department of Rehabilitation and Aged Care, Adelaide SA 5001, Australia
Age Ageing 37:628-33. 2008..to assess the effect of home versus day rehabilitation on patient outcomes...
- The effects of house moves during early childhood on child mental health at age 9 yearsAlice R Rumbold
Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
BMC Public Health 12:583. 2012..We examined associations between the number, timing and type of house moves in childhood and child behaviour problems using data from an ongoing longitudinal study...
- Connecting hospital and community care: the acceptability of a regional data linkage schemeMatthew Massy-Westropp
Rehabilitation and Aged Care, Flinders University, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Aust Health Rev 29:12-6. 2005....
- Bioelectrical phase angle values in a clinical sample of ambulatory rehabilitation patientsSimon M Gunn
Flinders University Department of Rehabilitation and Aged Care, Repatriation General Hospital, Adelaide, Australia
Dyn Med 7:14. 2008....
- The impact of covariance misspecification in group-based trajectory models for longitudinal data with non-stationary covariance structureChristopher E Davies
School of Mathematical Sciences, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia School of Public Health, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
Stat Methods Med Res . 2015..In particular, incorrectly specified covariance matrices could significantly bias the results but using models with a correct but more complicated than necessary covariance matrix incurred little cost...
- Hospital to home: an integrated approach to discharge planning in a rural South Australian townDenise Bolch
Department of Rehabilitation and Aged Care, Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 13:91-6. 2005..To produce safer and more integrated hospital discharge planning practices for older people living in rural and remote settings...
- Gambling and problem gambling among recently sentenced male prisoners in four New Zealand prisonsMax W Abbott
Gambling Research Centre, Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences, Auckland University of Technology, Private Bag 92006, Auckland, New Zealand
J Gambl Stud 21:537-58. 2005..This highlights the potential for assessment and treatment programs in prison to reduce recidivism and adverse effects of problem gambling and gambling-related offending...
- Disability in older Australians: projections for 2006-2031Lynne C Giles
Department of Rehabilitation and Aged Care, Flinders University, Adelaide, SA
Med J Aust 179:130-3. 2003..To provide detailed projections for the prevalence of disability and associated common health conditions for older Australians for the period 2006-2031...
- Why older Australians participate in exercise and sportGregory S Kolt
Faculty of Health, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand
J Aging Phys Act 12:185-98. 2004..Analyses of variance showed significant differences in reasons for participation in exercise and sport based on gender, age, education level, and occupation...
- Performance of methods for estimating the effect of covariates on group membership probabilities in group-based trajectory modelsChristopher E Davies
1 School of Mathematical Sciences, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
Stat Methods Med Res . 2017..In addition to the bias empirically demonstrated for the probability regression approach, we have shown analytically that it is biased in general...
- Social Networks and Memory over 15 Years of Followup in a Cohort of Older Australians: Results from the Australian Longitudinal Study of AgeingLynne C Giles
Discipline of Public Health, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
J Aging Res 2012:856048. 2012..Findings are discussed with respect to mechanisms that might explain the observed relationships between social networks and memory...
- Coaching Older Adults and Carers to have their preferences Heard (COACH): A randomised controlled trial in an intermediate care setting (study protocol)Stacey Masters
Department of Rehabilitation and Aged Care, Flinders University
Australas Med J 5:444-54. 2012..Despite research interest in this area, a recent Cochrane review was unable to identify any studies of interventions to support decision-making in this group that met the experimental or quasi-experimental study design criteria...
- The Life Journeys Of Young Women Project: objectives, design, and recruitment resultsEmily J Steele
Life course and Intergenerational Health Research Group, Discipline of Public Health, The University of Adelaide, 233 North Tce, Adelaide, South Australia 5005, Australia
Am J Epidemiol 174:72-80. 2011..This paper discusses study objectives and design, fieldwork procedures, planned statistical analyses, and recruitment outcomes, focusing on novel features that would facilitate analogous epidemiologic research...
- Depression in older Chinese migrants to AucklandMax W Abbott
Faculty of Health, Auckland University of Technology, Private Bag 92006, Auckland, New Zealand
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 37:445-51. 2003..This study was conducted to identify risk factors for depressive symptomatology among older Chinese migrants...
- Corrected arm muscle area: an independent predictor of long-term mortality in community-dwelling older adults?Michelle D Miller
Rehabilitation and Ageing Studies Unit, Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:1272-7. 2002..The purpose of this study was to explore the predictive relationship of corrected arm muscle area (CAMA) with 8-year mortality in a representative sample of older Australians...
- Anthropometric indices predict physical function and mobility in older Australians: the Australian Longitudinal Study of AgeingElaine Bannerman
Department of Public Health, Flinders University of South Australia
Public Health Nutr 5:655-62. 2002..To evaluate, in terms of function and mobility, the predictive value of commonly adopted anthropometric 'definitions' used in the nutritional assessment of older adults, in a cohort of older Australians...