Genomes and Genes
New South Wales
Organization: New South Wales
- General health care service utilisation: where, when and by whom in a socioeconomically disadvantaged populationHelen M Achat
Sydney West Area Health Service, Gungurra Bld 68, Locked Bag 7118, Parramatta BC, NSW 2150, Australia
Aust J Prim Health 16:132-40. 2010..Apart from GP visits, this group appears to make only moderate use of specialists and emergency departments, and little routine use of other primary health services...
- Calibration and field application of a solvent-based cellulose membrane passive sampling device for the monitoring of polar herbicidesRoss V Hyne
Department of Environment and Climate Change, Centre for Ecotoxicology, P O Box 29, Lidcombe, NSW 1825, Australia
Chemosphere 71:611-20. 2008..The concentrations of diuron, atrazine, metolachlor and molinate determined using the cellulose membrane devices were within twofold of the cumulated mean of the daily drainage water extractions...
- Community-dwelling stroke survivors: function is not the whole story with quality of lifeJennifer H White
Hunter Stroke Service, Rankin Park Centre, John Hunter Hospital, Hunter New England Area Health Service, and Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 88:1140-6. 2007..To compare function and quality of life in community-dwelling stroke survivors at 1, 3, and 5 years after stroke...
- Controversies in and challenges to our understanding of hepatitis CRobert G Batey
Drug and Alcohol Clinical Services, Hunter New England Area Health Services, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
World J Gastroenterol 13:4168-76. 2007..The complicated processes of sharing information between specialty groups is also discussed in an attempt to optimise knowledge dissemination in this field...
- Guidelines for the management of haemodynamically stable patients with stab wounds to the anterior abdomenMichael Sugrue
Trauma Department, Liverpool Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
ANZ J Surg 77:614-20. 2007..The developed evidence-based guidelines for stable patients with anterior abdominal stab wounds may help minimize unnecessary diagnostic tests and non-therapeutic laparotomy rates...
- Surgical and oncology trials for rectal cancer: who will participate?James D Harrison
Surgical Outcomes Research Centre, Sydney South West Area Health Service and University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Surgery 142:94-101. 2007..Furthermore, understanding why patients are unwilling to enter RCTs is imperative before the current trend of low participation can be reversed...
- The excitatory:inhibitory ratio model (EIR model): An integrative explanation of acute autonomic overactivity syndromesIan J Baguley
Brain Injury Rehabilitation Service, Westmead Hospital, P O Box 533, Westmead, Wentworthville, NSW 2145, Australia
Med Hypotheses 70:26-35. 2008..Finally, minor modifications to this model provide a basis to begin to explain less severe, regional "overlap" syndromes...
- Definitions and validation criteria for biomarkers and surrogate endpoints: development and testing of a quantitative hierarchical levels of evidence schemaMarissa N Lassere
Department of Rheumatology, St George Hospital, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Rheumatol 34:607-15. 2007..Our objective was to review the literature on biomarkers and surrogates to develop a hierarchical schema that systematically evaluates and ranks the surrogacy status of biomarkers and surrogates; and to obtain feedback from stakeholders...
- The origin of the Ferguson plotKenneth A Ferguson
Institute of Animal and Food Sciences, Australian Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, Canberra, Australia
Electrophoresis 28:499-500. 2007
- Pharmacological management of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in adolescents: special considerationsPhilip Hazell
Thomas Walker Hospital Rivendell Child, Adolescent and Family Mental Health Service, Concord West, New South Wales, Australia
CNS Drugs 21:37-46. 2007..A negotiated trial of time off treatment followed by a review of the patient's symptoms can avert premature discontinuation of treatment...
- Improved outcomes of extremely premature outborn infants: effects of strategic changes in perinatal and retrieval servicesKei Lui
Department of Newborn Care, Royal Hospital for Women, Barker St, Randwick, NSW 2031, Australia
Pediatrics 118:2076-83. 2006The goal was to evaluate the impact of statewide coordinated changes in perinatal support and retrieval services on the outcomes of extremely premature births occurring outside perinatal centers in the state of New South Wales, Australia.
- A case study of the evaluation of a public health interventionBradley Forssman
Public Health Unit, Sydney South West Area Health Service, Camperdown, Sydney, NSW 1450, Australia
Aust Health Rev 30:458-61. 2006..These guidelines have been distributed to all public health units in New South Wales and may be included in the next edition of the NSW Health notifiable diseases manual...
- Sampling and repeatability of radiometric faecal culture in bovine Johne's diseaseGraeme J Eamens
Elizabeth Macarthur Agricultural Institute, NSW Department of Primary Industries, Woodbridge Road, Menangle, NSW 2568, Australia
Vet Microbiol 119:184-93. 2007..A faecal sample collected non-randomly per rectum thus provides a representative specimen for detection of Map by radiometric culture on a single sampling occasion...
- Disturbed hemodynamic cardiac exercise stress test response in non-smoking, normolipidemic, normotensive, diabetic subjectsAli R Khoshdel
Department of Nephrology, John Hunter Hospital, The University of Newcastle, Level 3, Locked Bag 1, Hunter Region Mail Centre, NSW 2310, Australia
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 75:193-9. 2007..In this study the hemodynamic response to a graded exercise has been evaluated in diabetic and non-diabetic individuals...
- 'Governance of' and 'Governance by': implementing a clinical governance framework in an area mental health serviceNick O'Connor
Northern Sydney Central Coast Health, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 16:69-73. 2008..A framework developed to promote the understanding and application of clinical governance principles in an area mental health service is described. The framework is operationalized through systems, processes, roles and responsibilities...
- Genital piercing in association with gonorrhoea, chlamydia and wartsVictoria Hounsfield
Northern Sydney Sexual Health Service, Clinic 16, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW 2065, Australia
Int J STD AIDS 19:499-500. 2008....
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples at higher risk of invasive meningococcal disease in NSWPeter Massey
Hunter New England Population Health, Hunter New England Area Health Service, Australia
N S W Public Health Bull 19:100-3. 2008....
- Clinical practice variationPeter J Kennedy
Clinical Excellence Commission, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 193:S97-9. 2010....
- Review of the 2008-2009 pertussis epidemic in NSW: notifications and hospitalisationsPaula J Spokes
Communicable Diseases Branch, NSW Department of Health
N S W Public Health Bull 21:167-73. 2010....
- The impact of a standardised intramuscular sedation protocol for acute behavioural disturbance in the emergency departmentLeonie A Calver
Discipline of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
BMC Emerg Med 10:14. 2010..Acute behavioural disturbance (ABD) is an increasing problem in emergency departments. This study aimed to determine the impact of a structured intramuscular (IM) sedation protocol on the duration of ABD in the emergency department...
- Prediction of anaphylaxis during peanut food challenge: usefulness of the peanut skin prick test (SPT) and specific IgE levelBrynn Kevin Wainstein
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Sydney Children s Hospital, High Street, Randwick, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 21:603-11. 2010..02 to 11.7 g. Provided that a fixed amount of peanut is ingested, available tests for peanut allergy may assist in predicting the risk of anaphylaxis during challenge in peanut-sensitized children...
- The behaviour and sexual health of young international travellers (backpackers) in AustraliaA M McNulty
Sydney Sexual Health Centre, Sydney Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Sex Transm Infect 86:247-50. 2010..To study the demographics, risk behaviours and morbidity of young long-term international travellers (backpackers) attending a sexual health service in Sydney, Australia...
- Quality and safety in intensive care-A means to an end is criticalKarena M Hewson-Conroy
NSW Intensive Care Co ordination and Monitoring Unit, Australia
Aust Crit Care 23:109-29. 2010....
- Should liquid-based cytology be performed prior to colposcopy? A comparison of the accuracy, unsatisfactory rates and cost in a tertiary referral settingDonald Angstetra
Obstetrics and Gynaecology Department, University of Newcastle, John Hunter Clinical School, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 49:681-4. 2009..To compare the use of liquid-based cytology (LBC) with conventional cytology (CC) in the assessment cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN) prior to colposcopy...
- A multidisciplinary model of rural allied health clinical-academic practice: a case studyTony Smith
University Department of Rural Health, Locked Bag 9783 NEMSC, Tamworth, NSW 2348, Australia
J Allied Health 38:236-41. 2009..a model of discipline-specific rural allied health practice that has been established in the Northern New South Wales University Department of Rural Health in Tamworth, Australia...
- Identification and prevalence of von Willebrand disease type 2N (Normandy) in AustraliaEmmanuel J Favaloro
Department of Haematology, Institute of Clinical Pathology and Medical Research, Westmead Hospital, Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 20:706-14. 2009....
- How do CNCs construct their after hours support role in a major metropolitan hospitalNancy Santiano
The Simpson Centre for Health Services Research, Sydney, Australia
Collegian 16:85-97. 2009..To explore how CNCs who provide hospital wide support after hours (AHCSs) construct their role...
- Postinjury thromboprophylaxisCino Bendinelli
Department of Traumatology, Division of Surgery, John Hunter Hospital, University of Newcastle, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Curr Opin Crit Care 14:673-8. 2008..The incidence of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) varies from 5 to 63% depending on patients' risk factors, modality of prophylaxis, and methods of detection. For these reasons, trauma patients require adequate DVT prophylaxis...
- Long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the blood of children and adolescents with juvenile bipolar disorderEdward H Clayton
NSW Department of Primary Industries, Wagga Wagga Agricultural Institute, Pine Gully Rd, Wagga Wagga, NSW, 2650, Australia
Lipids 43:1031-8. 2008..As RBC DHA was also negatively related to symptoms of depression, a randomised placebo-controlled study examining supplementation with LCn-3PUFA as an adjunct to standard pharmacotherapy appears warranted in this patient population...
- Treatment of panic disorder: recent developments and current statusVladan Starcevic
University of Sydney, Discipline of Psychological Medicine Head, Academic Department of Psychological Medicine, Nepean Hospital, PO Box 63, Penrith NSW 2751, Australia
Expert Rev Neurother 8:1219-32. 2008..These include simplified modes of delivery of cognitive-behavior therapy, optimal ways of combining medications with cognitive-behavior therapy, and minimizing the risk of recurrence after the cessation of treatment...
- A midwife program of newborn resuscitationS Graham
John Hunter Children s Hospital, Locked Bag No1, Hunter Regional Mail Centre, NSW 2310, Australia
Women Birth 19:23-8. 2006..The aim was to improve the outcome for the infant whilst maintaining the mother's choice of birthing in a small local hospital close to family and friends...
- Occupational asthma in New South Wales (NSW): a population-based studyAnthony Johnson
Cooperative Research Centre for Asthma, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, NSW, Australia
Occup Med (Lond) 56:258-62. 2006..The proportion of asthma in adults that is due to occupational exposures is not known...
- Viscosity of rice flour: a rheological and biological studyM A Fitzgerald
Yanco Agricultural Institute, NSW Agriculture, PMB, Yanco, NSW 2703, Australia
J Agric Food Chem 51:2295-9. 2003..Starch-lipid complexes can mask differences in the molecular structures of amylose and amylopectin, and removing lipids alters the structure of the paste significantly, which consequently alters viscosity curves...
- Strong association between N-acetyltransferase 2 genotype and PD in Hong Kong ChineseD K Y Chan
University of New South Wales, Bankstown Hospital, Bankstown, New South Wales, Australia
Neurology 60:1002-5. 2003..Whether there is a relationship between NAT2 genotype and PD in Chinese subjects is not known...
- Nurse practitioners: a contract for change and excellence in nursingClare Turner
Far West Area Health Service, New South Wales
Collegian 9:18-23. 2002..b>New South Wales finally achieved recognition of the role this year after a decade of negotiation...
- Effects of terbutaline in combination with mannitol on mucociliary clearanceE Daviskas
Dept of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, NSW, Australia
Eur Respir J 20:1423-9. 2002..However, this did not affect the overall increase in mucociliary clearance over 140 min...
- Hepatic cytochrome P450 3A drug metabolism is reduced in cancer patients who have an acute-phase responseL P Rivory
Medical Oncology, Level 6 Gloucester House, Sydney Cancer Centre, Missenden Road, Camperdown, NSW 2050, Australia
Br J Cancer 87:277-80. 2002..This indicates that the sub-group of cancer patients with significant acute-phase response have compromised drug metabolism, which may have implications for the safety of chemotherapy in this population...
- A comparison of physically and radiobiologically based optimization for IMRTLois Jones
Department of Radiation Oncology, Liverpool Hospital, Australia
Med Phys 29:1447-55. 2002..This effect occurs because the normal tissues in the target volume require the optimization to reduce the dose and therefore limit the maximum dose to that volume...
- Postpartum issues for expectant mothers and fathersStephen Matthey
Paediatric Mental Health Service, South West Sydney Area Health Service, Liverpool, NSW, Australia
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 31:428-35. 2002..Furthermore, to compare the rates of endorsement of such issues for women and men so that clinicians can use this information to help plan which topics to include in preparation for parenthood classes...
- The pharmacotherapy of smoking cessationMatthew J Peters
Department of Thoracic Medicine, Concord Repatriation General Hospital, Hospital Road, Concord, NSW 2139, Australia
Med J Aust 176:486-90. 2002..6. There are some specific contraindications to the use of bupropion. Its subsidised availability should not influence prescribers to ignore these...
- Cognitive-behavioural predictors of children's tolerance of laboratory-induced pain: implications for clinical assessment and future directionsTiina Piira
School of Psychology, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Behav Res Ther 40:571-84. 2002..Further research is needed to investigate these findings within a clinical pain context...
- Life-threatening anaphylactoid reaction to amifostine used with concurrent chemoradiotherapy for nasopharyngeal cancer in a patient with dermatomyositis: a case report with literature reviewJanette Vardy
Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, NSW 2050 Australia
Anticancer Drugs 13:327-30. 2002..We describe the case of a man with dermatomyositis and stage IV nasopharyngeal cancer treated with chemoradiotherapy and s.c. amifostine. The patient suffered a life-threatening anaphylactoid reaction to amifostine...
- Working to recognized standards: a prerequisite for drug testing in AustraliaJohn H Lewis
Toxicology Unit, Pacific Laboratory Medicine Services, Sydney, Australia
Ther Drug Monit 24:182-6. 2002
- Irritable bowel syndrome. Practical managementN J Talley
Department of Medicine, University of Sydney, New South Wales
Aust Fam Physician 29:823-8. 2000..Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common problem affecting one in six Australians. In any patient complaining of chronic or recurrent abdominal pain, chronic diarrhoea or constipation or bloating, IBS should top the list of possibilities...
- Surface microscopy of pigmented basal cell carcinomaS W Menzies
Department of Surgery, University of Sydney, Australia
Arch Dermatol 136:1012-6. 2000..To describe the relevant morphologic features and to create a simple diagnostic method for pigmented basal cell carcinoma (BCC) using in vivo cutaneous surface microscopy (ie, dermoscopy, dermatoscopy, or oil epiluminescence microscopy)...
- Australian and New Zealand radiation oncology work practices in 2000Michael Veness
Department of Radiation Oncology, Westmead Hosptal, NSW, Australia
Australas Radiol 47:146-51. 2003..The recent move to subspecialization has not resulted in a decrease in clinical workload. In some aspects of work practice, such as time for self-education and research, the situation appears to be worsening...
- Treatment of premature ejaculation after traumatic brain injuryGrahame Simpson
Brain Injury Rehabilitation Unit, Liverpool Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Brain Inj 17:723-9. 2003..The case report suggests that existing sex therapy techniques, albeit with modifications to compensate for motor sensory, cognitive and affect related injury sequelae, provide one option for the treatment of PE after TBI...
- A child in detention: dilemmas faced by health professionalsKaren J Zwi
Department of Psychological Medicine, Children s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, NSW
Med J Aust 179:319-22. 2003..This case presented clinical and ethical dilemmas for health professionals who were constrained from acting in the child's best interests by government policy of mandatory detention...
- The laboratory diagnosis of lupus anticoagulant in patients on oral anticoagulationM R Aboud
Pacific Laboratory Medicine Services, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Clin Lab Haematol 28:105-10. 2006..In our cohort of 40 patients, there was a trend for LRs to decrease on-OAC, but this did not reach statistical significance. The subset (4) went against this trend and became positive after the thrombotic event...
- Palliative and shared care concepts in patients with advanced colorectal cancerGhauri Aggarwal
Department of Palliative Care, Concord Hospital, Concord, New South Wales, Australia
ANZ J Surg 76:175-80. 2006..A case is presented that incorporates some of these principles and exemplifies the benefits of contemporary palliative care for patients with advanced CRC...
- Images in cardiology. Persistent left superior vena cava demonstrated with M mode echocardiography and multislice spiral computed tomographyN V B Mai
Heart 92:473. 2006
- Use of a community sexual health information lineVickie Knight
Sydney Sexual Health Centre, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Sex Health 2:29-32. 2005..In October 1997 a comprehensive computerised database was developed to collect caller information. In 2003, a 5-year review of the PIL database was undertaken with the express aim of describing the profile of people using the service...
- Thermal management for premature birthsSandie Bredemeyer
Clinical Nurse Consultant and Clinical Lecturer, Faculty of Nursing, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Adv Nurs 52:482-9. 2005..This paper reports an audit of the effect on admission temperatures of using occlusive polyethylene wrap applied immediately after the birth of extremely premature infants...
- Immunity to diphtheria and tetanus in Australia: a national serosurveyHeather F Gidding
CIDM Public Health, ICPMR, Westmead Hospital, ICPMR Building, 3rd Floor, Westmead Hospital, Westmead, NSW 2145, Australia
Med J Aust 183:301-4. 2005..To determine immunity to tetanus and diphtheria in the Australian population...
- Is there a role for antimuscarinics in renal colic? A randomized controlled trialAnna Holdgate
Department of Emergency Medicine, St George Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Urol 174:572-5; discussion 575. 2005..We determined whether the addition of hyoscine butylbromide (Buscopan) reduces the amount of opioid analgesia required and the need for ongoing opioid analgesia in acute renal colic...
- QTc abnormalities in deliberate self-poisoning with moclobemideM A Downes
Department of Clinical Toxicology and Pharmacology, Newcastle Mater Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Intern Med J 35:388-91. 2005..Several medications have been found to prolong the QT interval in overdose. This can predispose to torsade de pointes-type ventricular tachycardia...
- Acute mountain sickness is associated with sleep desaturation at high altitudeKeith R Burgess
Peninsula Private Sleep Laboratory, Manly, New South Wales, Australia
Respirology 9:485-92. 2004..This study was intended to demonstrate a biologically important association between acute mountain sickness (AMS) and sleep disordered breathing...
- Anatoxin-a elicits an increase in peroxidase and glutathione S-transferase activity in aquatic plantsSimon M Mitrovic
PROTEOBIO, Department of Chemistry, Mass Spectrometry Centre for Proteomics and Biotoxin Research, Cork Institute of Technology, Bishopstown, Cork, Ireland
Aquat Toxicol 68:185-92. 2004..Photosynthetic oxygen production by L. minor was also found to be reduced at these concentrations. This is the first report to our knowledge of the cyanotoxin anatoxin-a being harmful to aquatic plants...
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy: not a dry eye in the housePeter Metcalfe
Illawarra Cancer Care Centre, Wollongong University, New South Wales, Australia
Australas Radiol 48:35-44. 2004..The combined field axial dose tool matched our ion chamber dose checks within +/- 2.4% at the isocentre. The individual beams eye view dose tool matched film dose maps within +/- 3% in the umbra...
- Sexual health for travellersElizabeth Hamlyn
Department of Sexual Health, Royal North Shore and Manly Hospitals, Sydney, New South Wales
Aust Fam Physician 32:981-4. 2003..Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are prevalent worldwide, yet a high proportion of international travellers engage in unprotected sex while overseas and may be at risk...
- Dosimetric characteristics of a low-kV intra-operative x-ray source: implications for use in a clinical trial for treatment of low-risk breast cancerM A Ebert
Department of Radiation Oncology, Newcastle Mater Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Med Phys 30:2424-31. 2003..Dose-volume changes with size of the treatment area (defined by the size of the resection volume) are examined indicating large variations in dose-volume characteristics across the range of possible "target" volumes...
- The mechanism of excretion of paraquat in ratsB S Chan
Department of Renal Medicine and Toxicology Unit, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, NSW, Australia
Toxicol Lett 90:1-9. 1997..001) and N-methylnicotinamide (NMN) (P = 0.03) reduced the FEpq, suggesting that they share a similar cation transport system with PQ. In summary, PQ is actively secreted by the rat kidney via a cation transport system...