Affiliation: Monash University
- Brain atrophy in type 2 diabetes: regional distribution and influence on cognitionChris Moran
Corresponding author Velandai Srikanth
Diabetes Care 36:4036-42. 2013..We aimed to define the regional distribution of brain atrophy in T2DM and to examine whether atrophy or cerebrovascular lesions are feasible links between T2DM and cognitive function...
- Cognitive function modifies the effect of physiological function on the risk of multiple falls--a population-based studyKara L Martin
Menzies Research Institute, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Australia
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 68:1091-7. 2013..We hypothesized that poorer physiological function would modify the effect of poorer cognitive function on increased risk of falling in older people...
- Cognitive function, gait, and gait variability in older people: a population-based studyKara L Martin
Menzies Research Institute, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Australia
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 68:726-32. 2013..The aim of this study was to examine the associations between a range of cognitive functions and gait and gait variability in a population-based sample of older people...
- Methylglyoxal, cognitive function and cerebral atrophy in older peopleVelandai Srikanth
Stroke and Aging Research Group, Neurosciences, Deparment of Medicine, Southern Clinical School, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 68:68-73. 2013..We studied associations of the advanced glycation endproduct precursor methylglyoxal (MGO) with cognitive function and brain volumes in older people...
- Performance of the ABCD2 score for stroke risk post TIA: meta-analysis and probability modelingLauren M Sanders
Stroke and Ageing Research Centre, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Neurology 79:971-80. 2012..To study the accuracy of the ABCD2 score in predicting early stroke risk following TIA and to model post-test probability of stroke for varying cutoff scores and baseline stroke risk...
- Carotid artery anatomy and geometry as risk factors for carotid atherosclerotic diseaseThanh G Phan
Stroke and Aging Research Group, Department of Medicine, Monash University, Monash, Australia
Stroke 43:1596-601. 2012..We hypothesized that carotid artery anatomy and geometry would be independently associated with ICA stenosis...
- The location of white matter lesions and gait--a voxel-based studyVelandai Srikanth
Stroke and Ageing Research Group, Neurosciences, Department of Medicine, Southern Clinical School, Monash Medical Centre, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Ann Neurol 67:265-9. 2010..WMLs probably contribute to age-related gait decline by disconnecting motor networks served by these tracts...
- Type 2 diabetes, skin autofluorescence, and brain atrophyChris Moran
Stroke and Ageing Research Group, Department of Medicine, Southern Clinical School, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Neurosciences, Monash Medical Centre, Monash Health, Melbourne, Australia
Diabetes 64:279-83. 2015..SAF partially mediated the association between T2DM and GMV. Longitudinal studies may help confirm whether tissue AGE accumulation is associated with brain atrophy in T2DM...
- Silent infarcts and cerebral microbleeds modify the associations of white matter lesions with gait and postural stability: population-based studyPhilip Choi
Stroke and Ageing Research Group, Department of Medicine, Southern Clinical School, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Stroke 43:1505-10. 2012..We studied the interactions of WML volume with SI and MB on gait and postural stability...
- Development and validation of morphological segmentation of age-related cerebral white matter hyperintensitiesRichard Beare
Department of Medicine, Southern Clinical School, Monash Medical Centre, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Neuroimage 47:199-203. 2009..89-0.93) and median SI 0.56 (IQR 0.49-0.66). Its best performance was observed for the highest tertile of WMH volume. Threshold-based and Gaussian mixture model-driven automated segmentation generally did not perform well in this study...
- Development of a new tool to correlate stroke outcome with infarct topography: a proof-of-concept studyThanh G Phan
Southern Clinical School, Monash University, Clayton, Australia
Neuroimage 49:127-33. 2010....
- Advanced glycation endproducts and their receptor RAGE in Alzheimer's diseaseVelandai Srikanth
Department of Medicine, Southern Clinical School, Monash University, Melbourne, Vic, 3800, Australia
Neurobiol Aging 32:763-77. 2011....
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus and biomarkers of neurodegenerationChris Moran
From the Stroke and Ageing Research Group C M, T G P, V S, Vascular Brain Ageing Division, Department of Medicine, School of Clinical Sciences, Monash University, Melbourne Neurosciences C M, T G P, V S, Monash Medical Centre, Monash Health, Melbourne Caulfield General Medical Centre C M, Alfred Health, Melbourne Developmental Imaging R B, Murdoch Children s Research Institute, Melbourne School of Medicine and Pharmacology D G B, Fremantle Hospital, University of Western Australia and Menzies Research Institute Tasmania M L C, V S, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Australia
Neurology 85:1123-30. 2015..Our objective was to investigate whether type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) influences neurodegeneration in a manner similar to Alzheimer disease (AD), by promoting brain β-amyloid (Aβ) or tau...
- Dimensions of subcortical infarcts associated with first- to third-order branches of the basal ganglia arteriesThanh G Phan
Stroke Unit, Department of Neurology, Monash Medical Centre, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Cerebrovasc Dis 35:262-7. 2013..Such data may provide further clues about the type of arteries associated with subcortical infarcts and assist in refining the concept of lacunar infarction...
- Cerebral white matter lesions, gait, and the risk of incident falls: a prospective population-based studyVelandai Srikanth
Dept of Medicine, Monash Medical Centre, 246 Clayton Rd, Melbourne, Victoria 3168, Australia
Stroke 40:175-80. 2009..We aimed to determine the risk of incident falls associated with WML volume, and the interactions between WML volume, gait, and other sensorimotor factors leading to falls...
- Does the principle of minimum work apply at the carotid bifurcation: a retrospective cohort studyRichard J Beare
Stroke and Aging Research Group, Department of Medicine, Monash University, Australia
BMC Med Imaging 11:17. 2011..We evaluate whether the dimensions of bifurcation of the extracranial carotid artery follow this principle of minimum work...
- Heterogeneity in infarct patterns and clinical outcomes following internal carotid artery occlusionThanh G Phan
National Stroke Research Institute and University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Arch Neurol 66:1523-8. 2009..To investigate whether the extent of infarction and clinical outcomes after internal carotid artery (ICA) occlusion depends on the additional occlusion of the middle cerebral artery (MCA)...
- Association between farming and chronic energy deficiency in rural South IndiaAsvini K Subasinghe
Department of Medicine, Monash Medical Centre, Southern Clinical School, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
PLoS ONE 9:e87423. 2014..To examine factors associated with chronic energy deficiency (CED) and anaemia in disadvantaged Indian adults who are mostly involved in subsistence farming...
- Proof of concept study: relating infarct location to stroke disability in the NINDS rt-PA trialThanh G Phan
Stroke Unit, Monash Medical Centre and Stroke and Aging Research Group, Department of Medicine, Monash University, Clayton, Vic, Australia
Cerebrovasc Dis 35:560-5. 2013..In this exploratory analysis, we hypothesized that infarct location as represented by the individual ASPECTS region may be independently related to disability...
- Urinary symptoms and natural history of urinary continence after first-ever stroke--a longitudinal population-based studyMaree P Williams
Stroke and Ageing Research Centre, Department of Medicine, Monash University Medical Centre, Clayton, Australia
Age Ageing 41:371-6. 2012..there are limited population-based data on urinary symptoms and the natural history of urinary incontinence after a first stroke...