Marcus J Kitchen
Affiliation: Monash University
- X-ray phase, absorption and scatter retrieval using two or more phase contrast imagesMarcus J Kitchen
School of Physics, Monash University, VIC 3800, Australia
Opt Express 18:19994-20012. 2010..This technique provides a substantial reduction in X-ray dose and enables quantitative phase retrieval to be performed on images of moving objects...
- Phase contrast image segmentation using a Laue analyser crystalMarcus J Kitchen
School of Physics, Monash University, Vic, Australia
Phys Med Biol 56:515-34. 2011..Simultaneous image acquisition has enabled us to perform functional segmentation of the mouse thorax throughout the respiratory cycle during mechanical ventilation...
- The role of lung inflation and sodium transport in airway liquid clearance during lung aeration in newborn rabbitsMelissa L Siew
Ritchie Centre, Monash Institute of Medical Research, Monash University, Clayton, Australia
Pediatr Res 73:443-9. 2013..We hypothesized that pressures generated by inspiration have a greater role in airway liquid clearance than do ENaCs after birth...
- Expired CO2 levels indicate degree of lung aeration at birthStuart B Hooper
The Ritchie Centre, Monash Institute of Medical Research, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
PLoS ONE 8:e70895. 2013..These data demonstrate that ECO2 levels can indicate the relative degree of lung aeration after birth and can be used to clinically assess ventilation in the immediate newborn period. ..
- Positive end-expiratory pressure enhances development of a functional residual capacity in preterm rabbits ventilated from birthMelissa L Siew
Dept of Physiology, Monash Univ, Melbourne, VIC 3800, Australia
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:1487-93. 2009..3 +/- 3.5 ml/kg). PEEP greatly facilitates aeration of the distal airways and the accumulation of FRC and prevents distal airway collapse at end expiration in very preterm rabbit pups mechanically ventilated from birth...
- Inspiration regulates the rate and temporal pattern of lung liquid clearance and lung aeration at birthMelissa L Siew
Department of Physiology, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria 3800, Australia
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:1888-95. 2009..8 +/- 5.3% of EBMs were associated with a decrease in FRC. We conclude that lung aeration is predominantly achieved by inspiratory efforts and that EBMs help to maintain FRC following its formation...
- Simultaneous acquisition of dual analyser-based phase contrast X-ray images for small animal imagingMarcus J Kitchen
School of Physics, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Eur J Radiol 68:S49-53. 2008..The beam and analyser were large enough to image the entire chest, making it possible to observe changes in anatomy with high contrast and spatial resolution...
- Changes in positive end-expiratory pressure alter the distribution of ventilation within the lung immediately after birth in newborn rabbitsMarcus J Kitchen
School of Physics, Monash Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
PLoS ONE 9:e93391. 2014..Uniform distribution of ventilation can be achieved by initiating ventilation with a high PEEP. After the lungs have aerated, small and stepped reductions in PEEP result in more uniform changes in ventilation. ..
- High spatiotemporal resolution measurement of regional lung air volumes from 2D phase contrast x-ray imagesAndrew F T Leong
School of Physics, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Med Phys 40:041909. 2013..These methods can be used for assessing pulmonary disease and injury and for optimizing mechanical ventilation techniques for preterm infants using animal models...
- Altered lung motion is a sensitive indicator of regional lung diseaseAndreas Fouras
Division of Biological Engineering, Monash University, Clayton, VIC 3800, Australia
Ann Biomed Eng 40:1160-9. 2012..The results of this study demonstrate that X-ray phase-contrast imaging, coupled with velocimetry, can detect early stage, subtle and non-uniform lung disease...
- Effect of betamethasone, surfactant, and positive end-expiratory pressures on lung aeration at birth in preterm rabbitsJessica R Crawshaw
The Ritchie Centre, Hudson Institute for Medical Research, Melbourne, Australia Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
J Appl Physiol (1985) 121:750-759. 2016..However, surfactant reversed the effect of betamethasone and when combined, these two treatments enhanced FRC recruitment irrespective of PEEP level...
- Ventilation/perfusion mismatch during lung aeration at birthJustin A R Lang
The Ritchie Centre, MIMR PHI Institute of Medical Research, Melbourne, Australia Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
J Appl Physiol (1985) 117:535-43. 2014..The increase in PBF at birth is not spatially related to lung aeration allowing a large ventilation/perfusion mismatch, or pulmonary shunting, to occur in the partially aerated lung at birth. ..
- X-ray specks: low dose in vivo imaging of lung structure and functionMarcus J Kitchen
School of Physics and Astronomy, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Phys Med Biol 60:7259-76. 2015..Using this technique we discovered striking differences in developmental maturity in the lungs of rabbit kittens at birth. ..
- Functional imaging to understand biomechanics: a critical tool for the study of biology, pathology and the development of pharmacological solutionsR Aidan Jamison
Division of Biological Engineering, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Curr Pharm Biotechnol 13:2128-40. 2012..The continued development of these research areas, with the inclusion of physical effects, will hopefully provide new insight into disease development, progression, diagnosis and effective therapies...
- Respiratory transition in the newborn: a three-phase processStuart B Hooper
Ritchie Centre, Hudson Institute of Medical Research, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 101:F266-71. 2016..Although gas exchange may be restricted by lung immaturity, injury and inflammation during this phase, considerations of how fetal lung liquid can adversely affect lung function are no longer relevant. ..
- Requirements for dynamical differential phase contrast x-ray imaging with a laboratory sourceDavid Macindoe
School of Physics and Astronomy, Monash University, Clayton, Vic, 3800, Australia
Phys Med Biol 61:8720-8735. 2016..5 s for dynamic imaging. Differential phase contrast images were retrieved from phantoms, incorporating noise filtering to improve the low-count images encountered when imaging dynamics using short exposures...
- Imaging lung aeration and lung liquid clearance at birthStuart B Hooper
Department of Physiology, Monash University, VIC 3800, Australia
FASEB J 21:3329-37. 2007..Using these imaging techniques, the dynamics of lung aeration and the critical role it plays in regulating the physiological changes at birth can be fully explored...