Nicholas A Keks
Affiliation: Monash University
- Suicide and schizophrenia: a review of literature for the decade (1990-1999) and implications for mental health nursingJaya Pinikahana
Centre for Psychiatric Nursing Research and Practice, School of Postgraduate Nursing, University of Melbourne, 1 723 Swanston St, Carlton, 3010, Victoria, Australia
Issues Ment Health Nurs 24:27-43. 2003..Findings can be instrumental in identifying and treating patients who are most vulnerable and in making psychiatric nurses aware of the scenarios and critical stages of the disease process when suicide is most likely to occur...
- Long-acting injectable risperidone v. olanzapine tablets for schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. Randomised, controlled, open-label studyNicholas A Keks
Mental Health Research Institute of Victoria, Monah University, Australia
Br J Psychiatry 191:131-9. 2007..The efficacy and safety of long-acting injectable risperidone have not been compared with those of an oral atypical antipsychotic...
- Beyond the evidence: is there a place for antidepressant combinations in the pharmacotherapy of depression?Nicholas A Keks
Monash University, Melbourne, Vic
Med J Aust 186:142-4. 2007..There is little evidence to support use of antidepressant combinations. Risk of toxicity and drug interactions mandate that combinations be used as a last resort, and only in specialist settings...
- Evaluation of treatment in 35 cases of bipolar suicideNicholas A Keks
Mental Health Research Institute of Victoria, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 43:503-8. 2009..The aim of the present study was to evaluate clinical factors relevant to suicide prevention (including treatment) in cases of bipolar suicide with available therapeutic histories...
- Transdermal estrogen patches for aggressive behavior in male patients with dementia: a randomized, controlled trialKathryn A Hall
The Aged Mental Health Research Unit, Department of Psychological Medicine, Monash University, Kingston Centre, Warrigal Road, Cheltenham, Victoria 3192, Australia
Int Psychogeriatr 17:165-78. 2005..To investigate the efficacy and tolerability of transdermal estrogen patches for the adjunctive treatment of aggressive behavior in male patients with advanced dementia...
- Exploring the complexity of compliance in schizophreniaJaya Pinikahana
School of Postgraduate Nursing, The University of Melbourne, Carlton, Victoria, Australia
Issues Ment Health Nurs 23:513-28. 2002..While the results of relevant research do not provide a clear and conclusive picture of compliance, they provide important information to guide the pivotal role of the mental health nurse in facilitating patient compliance...
- Quality of life in schizophrenia: a review of the literature from 1995 to 2000Jaya Pinikahana
Centre for Psychiatric Nursing Research and Practice, School of Postgraduate Nursing, University of Melbourne, Carlton, Australia
Int J Ment Health Nurs 11:103-11. 2002..It is concludes that while the measurement of quality of life is valuable as a measure of outcomes, it should be treated as only one means of doing so...