Genomes and Genes
Organization: Monash University
- Curved motions in horizontal and vertical orientationsJ G Phillips
School of Psychology and Psychiatry, Monash University, Clayton, VIC 3800, Australia
Hum Mov Sci 29:737-50. 2010..The data offer insights into variations in the strength of the power law under different orientations, and indicate a limited role for the 1/3 power law in motor constancy...
- Construct validity of the Test of Visual-Motor Skills-Revised (TVMS-R): an evaluation using the Rasch Measurement ModelTed Brown
Department of Occupational Therapy, School of Primary Health Care, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University Peninsula Campus, Frankston, Victoria, Australia
Scand J Occup Ther 16:133-45. 2009....
- Effects of the route of estrogen administration on insulinlike growth factor-I, IGF binding protein-3, and insulin resistance in healthy postmenopausal women: results from a randomized, controlled studySusan R Davis
Women s Health Program, Department of Medicine, Monash Medical School, Alfred Hospital, Prahran, Victoria, Australia
Menopause 15:1065-9. 2008..The aim of the study was to investigate the effects of intranasal E2 with norethisterone (E2/NET) versus oral E2/NET acetate on IGF-I, IGF binding protein 3, and insulin resistance in postmenopausal women...
- Nutrient and sediment removal by stormwater biofilters: a large-scale design optimisation studyK Bratieres
Department of Civil Engineering, Monash University, Victoria, 3800, Australia
Water Res 42:3930-40. 2008..ericifolia. Further trials will be required to test a wider range of vegetation, and to examine performance over the longer term. Future work will also examine biofilter effectiveness for treatment of heavy metals and pathogens...
- Risk assessment and management in practice: the Forensicare Risk Assessment and Management ExerciseAndrew Carroll
Centre for Forensic Behavioural Science, Monash University, Fairfield, Vic, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 16:412-7. 2008..The potential benefits of the framework are discussed in the context of contemporary trends in risk assessment and management...
- Incidence of melanoma and other malignancies among rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with methotrexateRachelle Buchbinder
Cabrini Hospital and Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Arthritis Rheum 59:794-9. 2008..To determine cancer risk in a cohort of 459 rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients treated with methotrexate in community practice...
- Positive association between resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis and overwintering survival of cabbage loopers, Trichoplusia ni (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae)V Caron
University of British Columbia, Department of Zoology, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Bull Entomol Res 98:317-22. 2008..The appearance of resistance without evidence of a trade-off in overwintering survival presents a major challenge to management in production greenhouses...
- Characterization of two putative potassium channels in Plasmodium falciparumKarena L Waller
Department of Medicine Cardiology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Ave, Bronx NY 10461, USA
Malar J 7:19. 2008..Dramatically differing conditions will be presented to the parasite in the mosquito mid-gut, red blood cell (RBC) cytosol and the human circulatory system...
- Screening for autism in young children with developmental delay: an evaluation of the developmental behaviour checklist: early screenK M Gray
Centre for Developmental Psychiatry and Psychology, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, Monash Medical Centre, 246 Clayton Rd, Clayton, VIC 3168, Australia
J Autism Dev Disord 38:1003-10. 2008..High sensitivity was found, with lower specificity for the originally proposed 17-item screening tool and a five-item version...
- Tuning the morphology of bismuth ferrite nano- and microcrystals: from sheets to fibersXinyi Zhang
Department of Chemical Engineering, Monash University, Clayton, Vic, Australia
Small 3:1523-8. 2007
- Complementary medicine use among people living with HIV/AIDS in Victoria, Australia: practices, attitudes and perceptionsS L Thomas
Centre for the Study of Ethics in Medicine and Society, Monash Medical School, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Int J STD AIDS 18:453-7. 2007..Further research is needed into (a) the effects of CAMs and (b) the enhancement of communication and collaboration between patients, doctors and complementary medicine practitioners...
- Evaluation of the Hormosira banksii (Turner) desicaine germination and growth inhibition bioassay for use as a regulatory assayJackie H Myers
School of Biological Sciences, Monash University, P O Box 18, Clayton, Victoria 3800, Australia
Chemosphere 69:955-60. 2007..The two test endpoints of germination and growth proved to be both reliable and repeatable bioassay endpoints. The coefficients of variation (CV's) for toxicity to germination and growth by ammonia ranged from 25% to 38% (n=18)...
- Re-discovering PDE3 inhibitors--new opportunities for a long neglected targetPhilip E Thompson
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University, Parkville 3052, Australia
Curr Top Med Chem 7:421-36. 2007..Finally we look at current approaches to the design of PDE3 inhibitors which utilize that historic data but also incorporate new inputs from structural biology and combinatorial chemistry...
- Using an MET service to manage an acute thromboembolic strokeDaryl Jones
Department of Intensive Care, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 32:361-5, 357. 2006..The hospital's medical emergency team expedited involvement of all required services when it was called in twice for episodes of bleeding...
- Effect of interferon gamma and CD40 ligation on intracellular monocyte survival of nontypeable Haemophilus influenzaePaul King
Monash University Department of Medicine, Monash Medical Centre, Melbourne, Australia
APMIS 116:1043-9. 2008..Killing of one strain of NTHi could be enhanced by the addition of interferon gamma and CD40 ligation in both control and bronchiectasis subjects. Other strains were more resistant...
- Access block can be managedPeter A Cameron
School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 190:364-8. 2009..There is little evidence that telephone triage, ambulatory care clinics or disaster management techniques, including ambulance diversion, reduce access block...
- Extreme events: being prepared for the pitfalls with progressing sustainable urban water managementN A Keath
National Urban Water Governance Program, School of Geography and Environmental Science, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria 3800, Australia
Water Sci Technol 59:1271-80. 2009....
- Advances towards synthetic machines at the molecular and nanoscale levelKristina Konstas
School of Chemistry, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, 3800, Australia E mail
Int J Mol Sci 11:2453-72. 2010..In this review we focus on recent progress in molecular systems that act as molecular machine prototypes such as switches, motors, vehicles and logic operators...
- What imaging tells us about violence in anti-social menMairead C Dolan
Department of Psychiatry, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Crim Behav Ment Health 20:199-214. 2010....
- Transplantation of human amnion epithelial cells reduces hepatic fibrosis in immunocompetent CCl₄-treated miceUrsula Manuelpillai
Centre for Reproduction and Development, Monash Institute of Medical Research, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Cell Transplant 19:1157-68. 2010..hAEC transplantation into immunocompetent mice leads to cell engraftment, reduced hepatocyte apoptosis, and decreased hepatic inflammation and fibrosis...
- Recent trials in critical care nephrologyRinaldo Bellomo
Department of Intensive Care, Austin Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia, USA
Contrib Nephrol 165:299-309. 2010....
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric bandingWendy Brown
The Centre for Obesity Research and Education, Monash University, Department of Surgery, The Alfred Hospital and The Centre for Bariatric Surgery, Melbourne, Victoria
Aust Fam Physician 38:972-6. 2009..The laparoscopic adjustable gastric band is a useful tool in the treatment of severe obesity. It is a safe and durably effective procedure, however, optimal results depend upon the patient participating in a process of lifelong care...
- TGF-beta induces telomerase-dependent pancreatic tumor cell cycle arrestLucy Cassar
Department of Immunology, Monash University, Central Clinical School, AMREP, Commercial Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
Mol Cell Endocrinol 320:97-105. 2010..Our data suggest that telomere maintenance is a limiting factor of the transition of the cell cycle. TGF-beta triggers cell cycle arrest and death by a mechanism involving telomerase deregulation of telomere maintenance...
- Synthesis of nanostructured silicon carbide spheres from mesoporous C-SiO2 nanocompositesKun Wang
Department of Materials Engineering, Monash University, VIC 3800, Australia
Chem Commun (Camb) 46:303-5. 2010..Nanostructured porous silicon carbide hollow spheres have been synthesized by phase separation in mesoporous silica-carbon nanocomposites at high temperatures and subsequent carbothermal reduction and crystallization...
- The effect of transdermal testosterone on mammographic density in postmenopausal women not receiving systemic estrogen therapySusan R Davis
Women s Health Program, Department of Medicine, Central and Eastern Clinical School, Monash University, Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Prahran, Victoria 3181, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:4907-13. 2009..The effects of testosterone therapy on mammographic density in postmenopausal women not on EPT are not known...
- Pathophysiology of laparoscopic adjustable gastric bands: analysis and classification using high-resolution video manometry and a stress barium protocolPaul Robert Burton
Centre for Obesity Research and Education, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Obes Surg 20:19-29. 2010..There is a need for a better understanding of the pathophysiology of LAGBs and more sensitive diagnostic tests...
- Chemical composition of composted grape marcAntonio F Patti
School of Applied Sciences and Engineering, Monash University, Churchill, Victoria, Australia
Water Sci Technol 60:1265-71. 2009..Heavy metals were not present in any significant levels. All the grape marc composts analysed provided some benefit in returning nutrients into the vineyard and all were significant potassium sources...
- Fluctuating mate preferences in a marine fishTopi K Lehtonen
School of Biological Sciences, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Biol Lett 6:21-3. 2010..Our results, nevertheless, underscore the importance of temporal fluctuations in female mate preferences, as these can have important consequences for understanding variation in sexual traits and the intensity of sexual selection...
- Use of hardware modified phones for exposure assessment in health studies in Australia: verification of compliance with standardsI Inyang
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Australas Phys Eng Sci Med 32:62-7. 2009..SAR values obtained at both 900/1800 MHz for the HMPswere well below ICNIRP limits for the general public. The phones were compliant with both international and Australian standards...
- Weight, physical activity and dietary behavior change in young mothers: short term results of the HeLP-her cluster randomized controlled trialCatherine B Lombard
Monash University, Australia
Nutr J 8:17. 2009..Women with children are an important target group because of high rates of weight gain and the potential to influence the health behaviors in family members...
- Towards a new generation of international nutrition science and scientist: the importance of Africa and its capacityMark L Wahlqvist
International Union of Nutritional Sciences and Asia Pacific Health and Nutrition Center, Monash Asia Institute, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
J Nutr 136:1048-9; discussion 1050-2. 2006
- The conducting and reporting of rural health research: rurality and rural population issuesA Robinson
Monash University School of Rural Health, MOE, Victoria, Australia
Rural Remote Health 5:427. 2005..In any rural setting, paying attention to issues that may affect the conducting and reporting of rural health research will hopefully result in studies that support the continued improvement of health in rural communities...
- The role of interleukin-4 and interleukin-12 in the progression of atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient micePiers Davenport
Centre for Inflammatory Diseases, Department of Medicine, Monash University, Monash Medical Centre Level 5 Block E, 246 Clayton Road, Clayton, Victoria, Australia 3168
Am J Pathol 163:1117-25. 2003..05). This suggests that both Th1 and Th2 cytokines play roles throughout the development of atherosclerosis in various vascular sites in apoE(-/-) mice...
- Effects of preweaning doxazosin treatment on adult pressure in the spontaneously hypertensive ratErika I Boesen
Department of Physiology Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 30:555-7. 2003..5. These findings do not support the involvement of alpha1-adrenoceptor-mediated effects during the preweaning period in the development of hypertension in adult SHR...
- Male reproductive health--what is the GP's role?Sanjiva Wijesinha
Department of General Practice, Monash University, Victoria
Aust Fam Physician 32:408-11. 2003..Although 'women's health' has been a separate and important subject of medical interest for many years, it is only recently that the study of male health, andrology, has gained impetus as an area of research and clinical importance...
- Modulation of intracellular Ca2+ levels by Scorpaenidae venomsJarrod E Church
Monash Venom Group, Department of Pharmacology, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Toxicon 41:679-89. 2003..These data indicate that the effects of all three venoms are due in part to an increase in intracellular Ca(2+), possibly via the formation of pores in the cellular membrane which, under certain conditions, can lead to necrosis...
- International congress on hormonal steroids and hormones in cancerPeter J Fuller
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, P O Box 5152, Clayton Victoria 3168, Australia
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 12:293-6. 2003
- Native arteriovenous fistula blood flow and resistance during hemodialysisKevan R Polkinghorne
Department of Nephrology, Monash Medical Centre, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Am J Kidney Dis 41:132-9. 2003..Measurement of vascular access flow (Qa) has been proposed as the ideal method for surveillance of native fistulae. However, debate exists about the influence of blood pressure (mean arterial pressure [MAP]) on Qa during dialysis...
- The guinea-pig oesophagus is a versatile in vitro preparation for pharmacological studiesKaren P Kerr
Department of Pharmaceutical Biology and Pharmacology, Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 29:1047-54. 2002....
- Arousal from sleep in infants is impaired following an infectionRosemary S C Horne
Department of Paediatrics, Monash University, Wellington Road, Victoria, Clayton, Australia
Early Hum Dev 66:89-100. 2002..This study provides evidence that arousability from QS is impaired following an infection and we postulate that this may explain the increased risk for SIDS following infection observed in previous studies...
- Muscle damage from eccentric exercise: mechanism, mechanical signs, adaptation and clinical applicationsU Proske
Department of Physiology, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Physiol 537:333-45. 2001..The ability of muscle to rapidly adapt following the damage from eccentric exercise raises the possibility of clinical applications of mild eccentric exercise, such as for protecting a muscle against more major injuries...
- Diagnostic and therapeutic potential of the endothelin system in patients with chronic heart failureH Krum
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Dept of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine Department of Medicine, Monash University Alfred Hospital, Prahran, Victoria, Australia
Heart Fail Rev 6:341-52. 2001....
- 11th International Congress of EndocrinologyP J Fuller
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Vic, Australia
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 10:569-76. 2001..With five concurrent symposia and two concurrent orals each morning and afternoon of the four days, any omissions reflect not on the topic or its importance but on this reviewer's inability to be in more than one place at once!..
- Globalization and the cultural impact on distance educationW McPhee
Center of Medical Informatics, Faculty of Medicine, Monash University, Wellington Road, Vic, Australia
Int J Med Inform 58:291-5. 2000....
- An impact evaluation of a falls prevention program among older peopleH A Deery
Accident Research Centre, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Accid Anal Prev 32:427-33. 2000..The results can help target this type of education program and suggest that their major benefit may lie in providing those who voluntarily attend with the impetus to take the most effective preventative action...
- A feeling in the waters: diagnosis of heart failure using urinary natriuretic peptidesHenry Krum
NHMRC Centre of Clinical Research Excellence in Therapeutics, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University Central and Eastern Clinical School, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Sci (Lond) 106:111-2. 2004..Further investigation is required and eagerly awaited...
- Effects of restricted cochlear lesions in adult cats on the frequency organization of the inferior colliculusDexter R F Irvine
Department of Psychology, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Science, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
J Comp Neurol 467:354-74. 2003..The implications of the data with respect to the primary locus of the changes and to the manner in which they contribute to thalamocortical reorganization are considered...
- The large resolvase TnpX is the only transposon-encoded protein required for transposition of the Tn4451/3 family of integrative mobilizable elementsDena Lyras
Australian Bacterial Pathogenesis Programme, Department of Microbiology, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Mol Microbiol 51:1787-800. 2004....
- Is neonatal intensive care justified in all preterm infants?Victor Y H Yu
Department of Paediatrics, Ritchie Centre for Baby Health Research, Monash University, Monash Medical Centre, 246 Clayton Road, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
Croat Med J 46:744-50. 2005..Both developed and developing countries need to develop appropriate policies for initiating and withdrawing intensive care, taking into consideration their own cultural, social, and economic factors...
- Efficacy of internet therapy for panic disorderBritt Klein
University of Ballarat, Ballarat, Australia
J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry 37:213-38. 2006..At follow-up, these effects were maintained for both CBT groups, with internet CBT better at improving physical health ratings and reducing GP visits. This study provides support for the efficacy of internet-based CBT...
- Effects of advanced glycation end products on ezrin-dependent functions in LLC-PK1 proximal tubule cellsLeon A Bach
University of Melbourne, Department of Medicine, Austin Hospital, Heidelberg, Vic 3084 Australia
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1043:609-16. 2005..Phosphorylation is an important activating mechanism for ERM proteins, and AGEs inhibit ezrin phosphorylation mediated by the epidermal growth factor receptor...
- Economic evaluation of prenatal population screening for fragile X syndromeBruce Hollingsworth
Centre for Health Economics, Faculty of Business and Economics, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Community Genet 8:68-72. 2005..Given the high lifetime costs of fragile X and the high sensitivity and specificity of testing, such a programme may seem attractive...
- PI 3-kinase p110beta: a new target for antithrombotic therapyShaun P Jackson
Australian Centre for Blood Diseases, Monash University, 6th Floor Burnet Building Alfred Medical Research and Education Precinct, Prahran, Victoria, Australia 3181
Nat Med 11:507-14. 2005..In vivo, these inhibitors eliminate occlusive thrombus formation but do not prolong bleeding time. These studies define PI3K p110beta as an important new target for antithrombotic therapy...
- Regulation of alveolar epithelial cell phenotypes in fetal sheep: roles of cortisol and lung expansionSharon J Flecknoe
Department of Physiology, Monash University, Victoria, 3800, Australia
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 287:L1207-14. 2004..However, reductions in fetal lung expansion appear to have a greater impact on the proportion of AECs than cortisol...
- Is the ACEM training programme adequate?Peter Cameron
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Emerg Med Australas 16:271-3. 2004
- Resonance Raman spectroscopy reveals new insight into the electronic structure of beta-hematin and malaria pigmentBayden R Wood
Centre for Biospectroscopy, School of Chemistry, and the Department of Microbiology, Monash University, Victoria, 3800, Australia
J Am Chem Soc 126:9233-9. 2004..The results have important implications in the design and testing of new anti-malaria drugs that specifically interfere with hemozoin formation...
- Identification of a novel apolipoprotein, ApoN, in ovarian follicular fluidMoira K O'Bryan
The Centre for Molecular Reproduction and Development, Monash Institute of Reproduction and Development, 27 31 Wright Street, Clayton 3168, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Endocrinology 145:5231-42. 2004..These data suggest that ApoN may play a role in steroidogenesis and/or immunoregulation in the gonads of nonhuman species, as well as similar roles in other tissues...
- Use of the Westmead PTA scale to monitor recovery of memory after mild head injuryJennie Ponsford
Monash University, Victoria, Australia
Brain Inj 18:603-14. 2004..The objective of this study was the field testing of this scale in EDs and assessment of validity and reliability of test items...
- Intrathecal midazolam II: combination with intrathecal fentanyl for labor painAdam P Tucker
Department of Anaesthesia, Monash Medical Centre, Monash University, 246 Clayton Road, Victoria 3168, Australia
Anesth Analg 98:1521-7, table of contents. 2004..We conclude that intrathecal midazolam enhanced the analgesic effect of fentanyl without increasing maternal or fetal adverse effects...
- Phosphoinositide 3-kinases and the regulation of platelet functionS P Jackson
Australian Centre for Blood Diseases, Department of Medicine, Monash Medical School, Box Hill Hospital, Box Hill, Victoria, Australia
Biochem Soc Trans 32:387-92. 2004..Thus distinct co-operative PI 3-kinase signalling mechanisms appear to play an important role in regulating the adhesive function of integrin alphaIIbbeta3...
- Prostacyclin and endothelium-dependent hyperpolarizationHelena C Parkington
Department of Physiology, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Pharmacol Res 49:509-14. 2004..Emerging information suggests that these drugs may impact on endothelial prostacyclin production, with less than optimal consequences for thrombus formation and vasodilation...
- Alpha 1-antitrypsin polymerisation can occur by both loop A and C sheet mechanismsS P Bottomley
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 251:1-5. 1998..These results in conjunction with detailed molecular modelling studies, show that alpha1-antitrypsin is capable of undergoing both loop A-sheet and loop C-sheet mechanisms of polymerisation, depending upon the in vitro buffer conditions...
- Regulation of embryonic stem cellsMartin Pera; Fiscal Year: 2005..This project will use stem cell lines ES 01 02 03 04 05 06 on the NIH Embryonic Stem Cell Registry. ..
- Roles of MIF and iNOS in SLE-associate inflammationMichael Hickey; Fiscal Year: 2007..Using rMIF, anti-MIF mAb, and anti-MIF small molecules, and by generating MRL/Ipr/MIF -/- mice, we will examine the role of MIF in the modulation of leukocyte-endothelial interactions in murine SLE. ..
- AROMATASE IN ADIPOSE--RELATIONSHIP TO AGING AND CANCEREvan Simpson; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Psychopathology in Young People with Mental RetardationBruce Tonge; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is expected that the results of such analyses will directly contribute to the development of appropriate intervention and prevention programs. ..