Genomes and Genes
C L Cherry
Affiliation: Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health
- Hepatitis C seropositivity is not a risk factor for sensory neuropathy among patients with HIVC L Cherry
The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
Neurology 74:1538-42. 2010..Hepatitis C (HCV) coinfection is often cited as an HIV-SN risk factor, but data to support this are lacking. This collaboration aimed to examine the association between HCV serostatus and SN risk among ambulatory HIV-positive patients...
- Cytokine genotype suggests a role for inflammation in nucleoside analog-associated sensory neuropathy (NRTI-SN) and predicts an individual's NRTI-SN riskCatherine L Cherry
Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:117-23. 2008..In addition to patient height, cytokine genotype influenced NRTI-SN risk following dNRTI exposure, suggesting inflammation contributes to NRTI-SN...
- Phase 1 single dose studies to optimize the pharmacokinetics of DG17, a novel HIV-protease inhibitor pro-drug, using sodium bicarbonate and ritonavirCatherine L Cherry
Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia
Curr HIV Res 6:272-5. 2008..No significant adverse events occurred. Single dose DG17 is safe and best administered in a manner preventing gastric acid degradation and with low-dose ritonavir...
- A report on the effect of commencing enfuvirtide on peripheral neuropathyCatherine L Cherry
Infectious Diseases Unit, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:1027-30. 2008..We observed no clear evidence of neurotoxicity from enfuvirtide in this population...
- Tissue-specific associations between mitochondrial DNA levels and current treatment status in HIV-infected individualsCatherine L Cherry
Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Melbourne, Australia
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 42:435-40. 2006..This study examined mtDNA levels in matched samples of peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) and subcutaneous fat from a large Australian cohort to examine treatment, clinical, and demographic associations with mtDNA depletion...
- Ubisol-Aqua: coenzyme Q10 prevents antiretroviral toxic neuropathy in an in vitro modelCatherine L Cherry
Centre for Virology, Burnet Institute, Melbourne, VIC 3001, Australia
Curr HIV Res 8:232-9. 2010..Acetyl L-carnitine (ALC) and co-enzyme Q(10) are proposed as neuropathy treatments, but evidence to support these is limited...
- Age and height predict neuropathy risk in patients with HIV prescribed stavudineC L Cherry
Burnet Institute, Monash University, and The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Neurology 73:315-20. 2009..We therefore aimed to identify factors predictive of neuropathy risk before antiretroviral use...
- Nucleoside analogues and HIV: the combined cost to mitochondriaCatherine L Cherry
Department of Medicine, Monash University and Infectious Diseases Unit, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoira, Australia
J Antimicrob Chemother 51:1091-3. 2003
- Mitochondrial dysfunction in CD4+ lymphocytes from stavudine-treated HIV patientsLloyd Einsiedel
Centre for Virology, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Melbourne, Australia
Mitochondrion 10:534-9. 2010..Therapy with stavudine results in impaired mitochondrial function in CD4+PBLs that does not appear to be due to reduced mitochondrial volume or DNA content and cannot be attributed to infection with HIV...
- Adverse effects of antiretroviral drugs on HIV-1-infected and -uninfected human monocyte-derived macrophagesRula Azzam
AIDS Pathogenesis and Clinical Research Program, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Melbourne, Australia
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 42:19-28. 2006..We demonstrate that indinavir augments C'MP by uninfected MDMs, but not HIV-1-infected MDMs. This study provides additional understanding on the effects of commonly used antiretroviral drugs on cellular immune function...
- Measuring and monitoring apoptosis and drug toxicity in HIV patients by ligation-mediated polymerase chain reactionDavid J Hooker
Centre for Virology, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Cell Mol Med 13:948-58. 2009..8 for each). Together these data demonstrate that LM-PCR is a robust and reliable quantifier of apoptosis with potential for basic science and clinical investigation...
- The relationship between body composition and knee structure in patients with human immunodeficiency virusS Fillipas
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Vic, Australia Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Int J STD AIDS 26:133-8. 2015..These findings are features of early knee osteoarthritis and this may be of future significance in HIV...
- Mitochondrial toxicity of nucleoside analogues: mechanism, monitoring and managementCatherine L Cherry
Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, GPO Box 2284, Melbourne, VIC 3001, Australia
Sex Health 2:1-11. 2005..Micronutrients may have a role, but further study is needed to clarify optimal prevention as well as monitoring strategies...
- Exposure to dideoxynucleosides is reflected in lowered mitochondrial DNA in subcutaneous fatCatherine L Cherry
Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 30:271-7. 2002..A reliable and valid laboratory test to detect this is not yet available. The objective of this study was to correlate tissue mtDNA quantification in HIV-infected patients with exposure to nucleoside analogs...
- Nucleoside analogues and neuropathy in the era of HAARTCatherine L Cherry
Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, The Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, 3181 Prahran, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
J Clin Virol 26:195-207. 2003..A clinically identical SN may also occur as a consequence of exposure to some HIV treatments. In this setting, impaired mitochondrial function is thought to play a role in the development of neurological dysfunction...
- The effects of exercise training on metabolic and morphological outcomes for people living with HIV: a systematic review of randomised controlled trialsS Fillipas
Physiotherapy Department, The Alfred, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
HIV Clin Trials 11:270-82. 2010..to determine the effects of exercise on metabolic and morphological outcomes among people with HIV using a systematic search strategy of randomized, controlled trials (RCTs)...
- Evaluation of a clinical screening tool for HIV-associated sensory neuropathiesCatherine L Cherry
Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia
Neurology 65:1778-81. 2005..To evaluate the performance characteristics of a brief clinical neuropathy screening tool for use in sensory neuropathies complicating HIV infection...
- Increased adipocyte apoptosis in lipoatrophy improves within 48 weeks of switching patient therapy from Stavudine to abacavir or zidovudineCatherine L Cherry
Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 38:263-7. 2005..We assessed the degree and reversibility of adipocyte apoptosis in patients with lipoatrophy before and 48 weeks after substituting abacavir or zidovudine for stavudine...
- Quantification of mitochondrial DNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cells and subcutaneous fat using real-time polymerase chain reactionM E Gahan
Infectious Diseases Unit, Alfred Hospital, Department of Medicine Monash University, Prahran, Vic. 3181, Australia
J Clin Virol 22:241-7. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: From the work carried out it can be concluded that firstly, the real-time PCR assay generates consistent and reproducible results, and secondly that mtDNA can be extracted and quantified from PBMC and subcutaneous fat...
- The international physical activity questionnaire overestimates moderate and vigorous physical activity in HIV-infected individuals compared with accelerometrySoula Fillipas
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 21:173-81. 2010..08-502.6 minutes) for vigorous activity. The IPAQ correlated with accelerometry, but substantial overreporting occurred. The tool may be useful in screening physical activity but should not be used to determine precise levels...
- A six-month, supervised, aerobic and resistance exercise program improves self-efficacy in people with human immunodeficiency virus: a randomised controlled trialSoula Fillipas
Physiotherapy, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Aust J Physiother 52:185-90. 2006..What is the effect of a six-month, supervised, aerobic and resistance exercise program on self-efficacy in men living with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)?..
- Evaluation of the Cavidi ExaVir Load assay (version 3) for plasma human immunodeficiency virus type 1 load monitoringVicki L Greengrass
Clinical Research Laboratory, Centre for Virology, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, 85 Commercial Road, Melbourne, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 47:3011-3. 2009..85; n = 202). The version 3 reverse transcriptase assay shows improved sensitivity compared to the previous version...
- HIV-associated sensory neuropathiesSanjay C Keswani
AIDS 16:2105-17. 2002
- Can we predict neuropathy risk before stavudine prescription in a resource-limited setting?Jacquita S Affandi
School of Surgery and Pathology, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:1281-4. 2008..These data suggest that a simple algorithm based on patient age, height, and TNF genotype could be used to predict the individual's risk of symptomatic neuropathy prior to prescription of d4T...
- Improvements in lipoatrophy, mitochondrial DNA levels and fat apoptosis after replacing stavudine with abacavir or zidovudineGrace A McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital bCase School of Medicine Center for AIDS Research, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
AIDS 19:15-23. 2005..As apoptosis and dysfunction of electron transport chain (ETC) activities may underlie mitochondrial toxicity, these parameters were also evaluated...
- Assessment of precision and concordance of quantitative mitochondrial DNA assays: a collaborative international quality assurance studyEmma L Hammond
Centre for Clinical Immunology and Biomedical Statistics, 2nd Floor, North Block, Royal Perth Hospital and Murdoch University, Australia
J Clin Virol 27:97-110. 2003..A number of international research groups have developed DNA quantitation assays in order to investigate the role of mitochondrial DNA depletion in anti-retroviral therapy-induced toxicities...