Affiliation: La Trobe University
- Australian primary care policy in 2004: two tiers or one for Medicare?Hal Swerissen
Director, Australian Institute for Primary Care La Trobe University Australia
Aust New Zealand Health Policy 1:2. 2004..This paper explores the immediate antecedents and consequences of the changes and sets them in the broader context of policy development for primary care in Australia...
- The association between foot-care self efficacy beliefs and actual foot-care behaviour in people with peripheral neuropathy: a cross-sectional studyByron M Perrin
Faculty of Health Sciences, La Trobe University, Bundoora, 3086, Australia
J Foot Ankle Res 2:3. 2009..This study investigated the relationships between foot-care self-efficacy beliefs, self-reported foot-care behaviour and history of diabetes-related foot pathology in people with diabetes and loss of protective sensation in their feet...
- A workforce survey of health promotion education and training needs in the state of VictoriaH Swerissen
Australian Institute for Primary Care, La Trobe University, Victoria
Aust N Z J Public Health 24:407-12. 2000..This study investigates the education and training needs of health professionals and factors affecting participation in education and training...
- The sustainability of health promotion interventions for different levels of social organizationHal Swerissen
Australian Institute for Primary Care, Faculty of Health Sciences, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Victoria, Australia 3086
Health Promot Int 19:123-30. 2004..the outcomes or effects that are achieved. Furthermore, funding allocations need to be congruent with programme characteristics if one is serious about achieving sustainability...
- Reforming funding for chronic illness: Medicare-CDMHal Swerissen
Faculty of Health Sciences, La Trobe University, Bundoora, VIC 3086, Australia
Aust Health Rev 32:76-85. 2008..The integration of social support services with the Medicare system is also a necessary step in providing high quality care for patients with complex needs requiring additional support...
- A randomised control trial of a self-management program for people with a chronic illness from Vietnamese, Chinese, Italian and Greek backgroundsHal Swerissen
Australian Institute for Primary Care, La Trobe University, Victoria, Australia
Patient Educ Couns 64:360-8. 2006..This study investigated the effectiveness of the Chronic Disease Self-management Program (CDSMP) when delivered to for people from Vietnamese, Chinese, Italian and Greek backgrounds living in Victoria, Australia...
- Medicare and chronic disease management: integrated care as an exceptional circumstance?Michael J Taylor
Australian Institute for Primary Care, Faculty of Health Sciences, La Trobe University, Bundoora, VIC 3086, Australia
Aust Health Rev 34:152-61. 2010..Although quality improvement efforts can improve functioning within the limitations of the current system, system-wide reforms are necessary to overcome complexity and fragmentation...
- Decline with a capital D: long-term changes in general practice consultation patterns across AustraliaMichael J Taylor
Australian Institute for Primary Care, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 193:80-3. 2010..To determine changes in the pattern of use of standard general practice consultations, and the degree to which any changes are offset by the use of special Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) items...
- Critical processes for creating health-promoting sporting environments in AustraliaBeth R Crisp
Australian Institute for Primary Care, La Trobe University, Victoria, Australia 3086
Health Promot Int 18:145-52. 2003..We conclude that such changes are difficult to achieve, especially in the absence of a programmatic approach to health promotion...
- Self-management: its place in the management of chronic illnessesChristine Walker
Peer Led Self Management in Chronic Illness project, Australian Institute for Primary Care, La Trobe University
Aust Health Rev 26:34-42. 2003..We also argue that greater attention must be paid to access issues for people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds (CALD) and lower socioeconomic status...
- Rethinking primary healthcareHal Swerissen
Faculty of Health Sciences, La Trobe University Victoria, Australia
Healthc Pap 8:54-7; discussion 64-7. 2008..While I agree with Hutchison that incremental change is more likely than radical reform, I argue that it may be time to fundamentally rethink the role of primary healthcare...
- Toward greater integration of the health systemHal Swerissen
Australian Institute for Primary Care, La Trobe University
Aust Health Rev 25:88-93. 2002..Nevertheless, there are a number of options better aligning Commonwealth and State initiatives through the Australian Health Agreements and funding for range of primary health and community care finding programs...
- Issues, challenges, and solutions in translating study instrumentsAmanda Weeks
La Trobe University, Australia
Eval Rev 31:153-65. 2007..This article explores issues, challenges, and solutions for translating a set of research instruments used in a randomized, controlled trial for four separate community languages (Chinese, Vietnamese, Greek, Italian)...
- Primary care funding and organisational policy options and implications: a narrative review of evidence from five comparator countriesLucio Naccarella
Department of General Practice, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 188:S73-6. 2008..To review innovative models of primary care in different countries in order to identify potential mechanisms for reforming primary care policy in Australia...