Damien P Belobrajdic
- Wholegrain barley β-glucan fermentation does not improve glucose tolerance in rats fed a high-fat dietDamien P Belobrajdic
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation CSIRO Food and Nutrition Flagship, Australia Electronic address
Nutr Res 35:162-8. 2015..In conclusion, wholegrain barley β-glucan suppressed feed intake and increased cecal fermentation but did not improve postprandial glucose control or insulin sensitivity. ..
- The potential role of phytochemicals in wholegrain cereals for the prevention of type-2 diabetesDamien P Belobrajdic
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation CSIRO, Food Futures National Flagship, GPO Box 10041, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Nutr J 12:62. 2013....
- Dietary resistant starch dose-dependently reduces adiposity in obesity-prone and obesity-resistant male ratsDamien P Belobrajdic
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation CSIRO Food Futures Flagship, Adelaide, Australia
Nutr Metab (Lond) 9:93. 2012..We aimed to determine whether RS dose-dependently reduces adiposity in obesity-prone (OP) and obesity-resistant (OR) rats...
- Fructan extracts from wheat stem and barley grain stimulate large bowel fermentation in ratsDamien P Belobrajdic
CSIRO Food Futures National Flagship, Australia
Nutr Res 32:599-606. 2012..Barley grain and wheat stem fructans produced similar large bowel fermentation patterns to OF when fed to rats at 5% of the diet...
- Cereal based diets modulate some markers of oxidative stress and inflammation in lean and obese Zucker ratsDamien P Belobrajdic
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation CSIRO Food Futures Flagship, Adelaide, 5000, Australia
Nutr Metab (Lond) 8:27. 2011..This study investigated the impact of wheat bran, barley or a control diet (α-cellulose) on the development of oxidative stress and inflammation in lean and obese Zucker rats...
- Moderate energy restriction-induced weight loss affects circulating IGF levels independent of dietary compositionDamien P Belobrajdic
Commonwealth Scientific Industrial Research Organisation CSIRO, Food and Nutritional Sciences, Adelaide BC, South Australia, Australia
Eur J Endocrinol 162:1075-82. 2010..Obesity is associated with major changes in the circulating IGF system. However, it is not clear to what extent the IGF system is normalized following diet, and the possible role of different types of diet is also unknown...
- Assessing the potential usefulness of IGF-related peptides and adiponectin for predicting disease riskDamien P Belobrajdic
CSIRO, Preventative Health National Research Flagship, P O Box 10041, Adelaide, BC 5000, Australia
Growth Horm IGF Res 18:198-204. 2008..The purpose of this study was to use the D-value to predict the potential usefulness of IGF-related peptides and adiponectin as biomarkers for the diagnosis of colorectal cancer (CRC)...
- An arabinoxylan-rich fraction from wheat enhances caecal fermentation and protects colonocyte DNA against diet-induced damage in pigsDamien P Belobrajdic
High Fibre Grains Cluster, CSIRO Food Futures National Research Flagship, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Br J Nutr 107:1274-82. 2012..Further studies to determine the relationships between these changes and the lowering of colonocyte DNA damage are warranted...
- Effects of dietary beef and chicken with and without high amylose maize starch on blood malondialdehyde, interleukins, IGF-I, insulin, leptin, MMP-2, and TIMP-2 concentrations in ratsShusuke Toden
Food Futures National Research Flagship, Australia, CSIRO Food and Nutritional Sciences, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Nutr Cancer 62:454-65. 2010..These results suggest diets high in meat or RS could influence cancer initiation or progression by changes in circulating levels of hormones and other factors...
- Adiponectin relates to smooth muscle function and folate in obese childrenAlexia Sophie Peña
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Women s and Children s Hospital, North Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Int J Pediatr Obes 5:185-91. 2010..Adiponectin is lower in obese children but its relationship with vascular function has not been clarified in childhood. We aimed to evaluate the association between adiponectin and vascular function in obese and healthy children...
- Effects of weight loss from a very-low-carbohydrate diet on endothelial function and markers of cardiovascular disease risk in subjects with abdominal obesityJennifer B Keogh
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization Human Nutrition, Adelaide, Australia
Am J Clin Nutr 87:567-76. 2008..The effects of a very-low-carbohydrate, high-saturated-fat weight-loss diet (LC) on brachial artery flow-mediated dilatation (FMD) and markers of endothelial function are unknown...
- High wholegrain barley β-glucan lowers food intake but does not alter small intestinal macronutrient digestibility in ileorectostomised ratsDamien P Belobrajdic
a CSIRO Food and Nutrition, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Int J Food Sci Nutr 67:678-85. 2016..Higher dietary levels of barley β-glucan lower feed intake of ileorectostomised rats, which is independent of intestinal fermentation and unrelated to macronutrient digestibility. ..
- C-reactive protein before and after weight loss in overweight women with and without polycystic ovary syndromeLisa J Moran
Research Centre for Reproductive Health, University of Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:2944-51. 2007..Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is associated with reproductive and metabolic abnormalities. It is unknown whether overweight women with and without PCOS achieve similar benefits from weight loss for cardiovascular risk factors...
- A rat model for determining the postprandial response to foodsDamien P Belobrajdic
CSIRO Health and Biosecurity, Adelaide, SA, 5000, Australia
J Sci Food Agric . 2016..The applicability and performance of the model were evaluated in a series of experiments on acute glycaemic and insulinaemic responses to carbohydrate-based test meals...
- A high-whey-protein diet reduces body weight gain and alters insulin sensitivity relative to red meat in wistar ratsDamien P Belobrajdic
Discipline of Physiology, School of Molecular and Biomedical Science, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, 5000, Australia Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization Health Sciences and Nutrition, Adelaide, SA, 5000, Australia
J Nutr 134:1454-8. 2004..05). These findings support the conclusions that a high-protein diet reduces energy intake and adiposity and that whey protein is more effective than red meat in reducing body weight gain and increasing insulin sensitivity...