- Self-rated health and its determinants among adults in Syria: a model from the Middle East
Syrian Centre for Tobacco Studies, Aleppo, Syria
BMC Public Health 7:177. 2007
..This Study aims to investigate and compare determinants of SRH in adult men and women in Aleppo, Syria...
- Comparison of patterns of use, beliefs, and attitudes related to waterpipe between beginning and established smokers
Syrian Center for Tobacco Studies, Aleppo, Syria
BMC Public Health 5:19. 2005
- Outcomes and adherence in Syria's first smoking cessation trial
Smoking Cessation Intervention Program, Syrian Center for Tobacco Studies, Aleppo, Syria
Am J Health Behav 32:146-56. 2008
..To determine the feasibility of implementing cessation interventions in Syria...
- The relationship between waterpipe smoking and body weight: population-based findings from Syria
Kenneth D Ward
School of Public Health, University of Memphis, Memphis, TN Syrian Center for Tobacco Studies, Aleppo, Syria
Nicotine Tob Res 17:34-40. 2015
..Use of waterpipe (or "hookah") is increasing in many parts of the world but its effects on body weight are not known...
- Randomized trial of the effectiveness of combined behavioral/pharmacological smoking cessation treatment in Syrian primary care clinics
Kenneth D Ward
Division of Social and Behavioral Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Memphis, Memphis, TN 38152, USA
Addiction 108:394-403. 2013
..We evaluated whether nicotine patch boosts smoking cessation rates when used in conjunction with behavioral support in primary care clinics in Aleppo, Syria...
- Why most women in Syria do not smoke: can the passive barrier of traditions be replaced with an information-based one?
Syrian Center for Tobacco Studies, P O Box 12782, Aleppo, Syria
Public Health 117:237-41. 2003
..Better-educated women tended to have their own motives based on a more complete awareness of the smoking problem. Tobacco control efforts should aim at replacing the passive barrier of traditions with a well-informed positive one...
- Behavioral cessation treatment of waterpipe smoking: The first pilot randomized controlled trial
Syrian Center for Tobacco Studies, Aleppo, Syria Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL, USA
Addict Behav 39:1066-74. 2014
..Waterpipe use has increased dramatically in the Middle East and other parts of the world. Many users exhibit signs of dependence, including withdrawal and difficulty quitting, but there is no evidence base to guide cessation efforts...
- Building Evidence-Based Tobacco Treatment in the Eastern Mediterranean Region: Lessons Learned by the Syrian Center for Tobacco Studies
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA Syrian Center for Tobacco Studies, Aleppo, Syria
J Smok Cessat 11:116-123. 2016
- Are waterpipe users interested in quitting?
Kenneth D Ward
University of Memphis Center for Community Health, Memphis, TN 38157, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 7:149-56. 2005
..Waterpipe use needs to be considered in developing effective tobacco use cessation programs in the Middle East...
- Socio-demographic correlates of psychiatric morbidity among low-income women in Aleppo, Syria
Institute of Epidemiology and Social Medicine, Munster, Germany
Soc Sci Med 54:1419-27. 2002
..Our data show that mental distress is common in the studied population and that it is strongly associated with few, possibly modifiable, factors...
- Physical abuse in low-income women in Aleppo, Syria
Institute of Epidemiology and Social Medicine, University of Muenster, Germany
Health Care Women Int 24:313-26. 2003
..Our data show that physical abuse is prevalent in this population and that women's education is the most important modifiable factor...