- Expression of mRNA for glucose transport proteins in jejunum, liver, kidney and skeletal muscle of pigs
J R Aschenbach
Institute of Veterinary Physiology, University of Leipzig, An den Tierkliniken 7, D 04103 Leipzig, Germany
J Physiol Biochem 65:251-66. 2009
..In conclusion, this study provides molecular insight into the organ-specific expression of glucose transporters in pigs and thus sheds light on the way of glucose handling in this omnivorous species...
- Effects of age and controlled oral dosing of Enterococcus faecium on epithelial properties in the piglet small intestine
Institute of Veterinary Physiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Freie Universitat Berlin, Oertzenweg 19b, 14163 Berlin, Germany
Benef Microbes 4:335-44. 2013
..faecium dosing had no measurable effects on these functional parameters in this experimental setup. The possible role of heat shock proteins should be further evaluated. ..
- Effects of dietary fibre and protein on urea transport across the cecal mucosa of piglets
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Institute of Veterinary Physiology, Freie Universitat Berlin, Oertzenweg 19b, 14163, Berlin, Germany
J Comp Physiol B 183:1053-63. 2013
..Instead, a HP-LF diet had stimulatory effects. A potential role for urea recycling in stabilizing luminal pH is discussed. ..
- Effects of age and zinc supplementation on transport properties in the jejunum of piglets
E M Gefeller
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Institute of Veterinary Physiology, Freie Universitat Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl) 99:542-52. 2015
..Because transport properties are influenced by the addition of zinc in vitro, we suggest that possible epithelial effects of zinc depend on the acute presence of this ion. ..
- Characterization of the effects of Enterococcus faecium on intestinal epithelial transport properties in piglets
Institute of Veterinary Physiology, Department of Veterinary Medicine, Freie Universitat Berlin, 14163 Berlin, Germany
J Anim Sci 91:1707-18. 2013
..Furthermore, the results indicated that IL-1α induces bumetanide-sensitive chloride secretion. The effects of cytokines as potential mediators of probiotic effects should, therefore, be the subject of further studies...
- Increasing intravenous infusions of glucose improve body condition but not lactation performance in midlactation dairy cows
Institute of Veterinary Physiology, University of Leipzig, D 04103 Leipzig, Germany
J Dairy Sci 92:5645-58. 2009
..This may suggest that the metabolic fate of glucose is modified by metabolic signals, hormonal signals, or both from the portal-drained viscera when absorbed from the intestine...
- Ruminant Nutrition Symposium: Role of fermentation acid absorption in the regulation of ruminal pH
J R Aschenbach
Institute of Veterinary Physiology, Free University of Berlin, D 14163 Berlin, Germany
J Anim Sci 89:1092-107. 2011
..It is suggested that the interacting transport processes for SCFA, urea, and ammonia represent evolutionary adaptations of ruminants to actively coordinate energy fermentation, protein assimilation, and pH regulation in the rumen...
- Bioelimination of histamine in epithelia of the porcine proximal colon of pigs
J R Aschenbach
Institute for Veterinary Physiology, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Inflamm Res 58:269-76. 2009
..The study aimed to gain insight into how intestinal histamine N-methyltransferase (HMT) and diamine oxidase (DAO) could contribute to bioelimination of histamine...