- Impact of study design and patient population on outcomes from cholinesterase inhibitor trials
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 11:160-8. 2003
..Therefore, caution should be taken before making decisions on relative efficacy, safety, and tolerability, because clinical studies are not always directly comparable...
- Centrally acting antiemetics mitigate nausea and vomiting in patients with Alzheimer's disease who receive rivastigmine
Stanford S Jhee
Clin Neuropharmacol 25:122-3. 2002
- The international suicide prevention trial (interSePT): rationale and design of a trial comparing the relative ability of clozapine and olanzapine to reduce suicidal behavior in schizophrenia and schizoaffective patients
Schizophr Bull 30:577-86. 2004
..Because of the complexity of the design issues, a steering committee, suicide monitoring board, and publication committee were established to assist with their management...
- Predicting suicidal risk in schizophrenic and schizoaffective patients in a prospective two-year trial
Steven G Potkin
Brain Imaging Center, University of California, Irvine, California 92697 3960, USA
Biol Psychiatry 54:444-52. 2003
..Enhanced ability to reliably identify risk factors for suicidal behavior permits more focused decisions concerning treatment interventions and support services, with potential reduction in lives lost to suicide...
- The InterSePT scale for suicidal thinking reliability and validity
J P Lindenmayer
New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Schizophr Res 63:161-70. 2003
..We report the psychometric characteristics of this new scale based on two studies...
- Clozapine treatment for suicidality in schizophrenia: International Suicide Prevention Trial (InterSePT)
Herbert Y Meltzer
Psychiatric Hospital at Vanderbilt, 1601 23rd Ave S, Suite 306, Nashville, TN 37212, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 60:82-91. 2003
..Approximately 50% of patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder attempt suicide, and approximately 10% die of suicide. Study results suggest that clozapine therapy significantly reduces suicidal behavior in these patients...
- Neurocognitive performance does not correlate with suicidality in schizophrenic and schizoaffective patients at risk for suicide
Steven G Potkin
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of California, Room 166, Irvine Hall, Irvine, CA 92697 3960, USA
Schizophr Res 59:59-66. 2003
- Impact of Alzheimer's disease and rivastigmine treatment on activities of daily living over the course of mild to moderately severe disease
Steven G Potki
Brain Imaging Center, Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of California, Irvine 92697, USA
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 26:713-20. 2002
..To investigate the relationship between activities of daily living (ADL) impairment and Alzheimer's disease (AD) severity in mild to moderately severe AD patients receiving the cholinesterase (ChE) inhibitor rivastigmine...
- Long-term effects of rivastigmine in moderately severe Alzheimer's disease: does early initiation of therapy offer sustained benefits?
P Murali Doraiswamy
Department of Psychiatry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 26:705-12. 2002
..The results support the value of early treatment of AD patients, particularly those with moderately severe AD...
- Barriers to Alzheimer disease drug discovery and drug development in the pharmaceutical industry
Organon, Oss, The Netherlands
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 16:S33-9. 2002
- Barriers to drug discovery and development for Alzheimer disease
Howard M Fillit
The Institute for the Study of Aging, Inc, New York, New York, USA
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 16:S1-8. 2002
..The identified barriers and potential solutions will be discussed here and in the accompanying articles in more detail...
- Electrocardiographic effects of rivastigmine
eResearch Technology, Philadelphia, PA 19103, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 42:558-68. 2002
..Percentage change from baseline for PR, QRS, and QTc intervals was also no different. In conclusion, rivastigmine appears not to produce adverse effects on cardiac function assessed by ECG...
- A pilot, randomized, open-label trial assessing safety and pharmakokinetic parameters of co-administration of rivastigmine with risperidone in dementia patients with behavioral disturbances
Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 17:343-6. 2002
..This pilot study examined the effects of addition of risperidone 0.5-2 mg/day to patients on rivastigmine 3-12 mg/day, and vice versa...
- Potential ethnic modifiers in the assessment and treatment of Alzheimer's disease: challenges for the future
Warachal E Faison
Alzheimer s Research and Clinical Programs, Neurosciences Department, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29406, USA
Int Psychogeriatr 19:539-58. 2007
..for AD to answer two questions: (1) what are the challenges to diagnose and treat AD across different ethnic groups, and (2) are there differences in response to pharmacologic interventions for AD across these different ethnic groups?..