Genomes and Genes
My research is focused on the expression and function of G-protein coupled receptor in cardiovascular and metabolic tissues with the aim of identifying novel drug targets for the treatment of human cardiovascular and metabolic disease.
- The IgD CH1 region contains the binding site for the human respiratory pathogen Moraxella catarrhalis IgD-binding protein MIDMartin Samuelsson
Medical Microbiology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Eur J Immunol 36:2525-34. 2006..catarrhalis or recombinant MID962-1200 was abolished. Subsequent smaller substitutions of IgD CH1 157-224 with IgG sequences led us to conclude that IgD CH1 amino acids 198-206 were crucial for the interaction between MID and IgD...
- Kv1.3 is the exclusive voltage-gated K+ channel of platelets and megakaryocytes: roles in membrane potential, Ca2+ signalling and platelet countConor McCloskey
Department of Cell Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Leicester, Medical Sciences Building, University Road, LE1 9HN, UK
J Physiol 588:1399-406. 2010..We conclude that Kv1.3 forms the Kv channel of the platelet and megakaryocyte, which sets the resting membrane potential, regulates agonist-evoked Ca(2+) increases and influences circulating platelet numbers...
- GLP-1 inhibits and adrenaline stimulates glucagon release by differential modulation of N- and L-type Ca2+ channel-dependent exocytosisYang Z De Marinis
Lund University Diabetes Centre, Department of Clinical Sciences, Clinical Research Centre, Lund University, SE20502 Malmö, Sweden
Cell Metab 11:543-53. 2010..Adrenaline stimulates L-type Ca(2+) channel-dependent exocytosis by activation of the low-affinity cAMP sensor Epac2 via a large increase in [cAMP](i)...
- ADP mediates inhibition of insulin secretion by activation of P2Y13 receptors in miceS Amisten
Department of Cardiology, Lund University, Skane University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Diabetologia 53:1927-34. 2010..To investigate the effects of extracellular purines on insulin secretion from mouse pancreatic islets...
- Platelet transcriptional profile and protein expression in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: up-regulation of the type I interferon system is strongly associated with vascular diseaseChristian Lood
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Section of Microbiology, Immunology and Glycobiology, Lund University Hospital, Solvegatan 23, Lund, Sweden
Blood 116:1951-7. 2010..This could affect platelet activation and contribute to development of vascular disease in SLE. In addition, platelets with type I IFN signature could be a novel marker for vascular disease in SLE...
- Membrane potential-dependent inactivation of voltage-gated ion channels in alpha-cells inhibits glucagon secretion from human isletsReshma Ramracheya
Oxford Centre for Diabetes Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Oxford, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, UK
Diabetes 59:2198-208. 2010..To document the properties of the voltage-gated ion channels in human pancreatic alpha-cells and their role in glucagon release...
- Insulinotropic and antidiabetic effects of 17β-estradiol and the GPR30 agonist G-1 on human pancreatic isletsRajesh Kumar
Department of Clinical Science, Skåne Universitetssjukhus, Division of Islet Cell Physiology, Clinical Research Center, Building 91, Plan 11, Entrance 72, S 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Endocrinology 152:2568-79. 2011..In view of these findings, we propose that small molecules activating GPR30 could be promising in the therapy of diabetes mellitus...
- A rapid and efficient platelet purification protocol for platelet gene expression studiesStefan Amisten
Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Oxford University, The Churchill Hospital, Oxford, UK
Methods Mol Biol 788:155-72. 2012..Also described are methods for RNA extraction, cDNA synthesis, and platelet gene expression studies using both quantitative real-time PCR and microarray...
- An atlas and functional analysis of G-protein coupled receptors in human islets of LangerhansStefan Amisten
Diabetes Research Group, Division of Diabetes and Nutritional Sciences, King s College London School of Medicine, London, UK
Pharmacol Ther 139:359-91. 2013..This approach may aid in the design of new safer therapeutic agents with fewer detrimental effects on islet hormone secretion. ..
- GPR40 protein levels are crucial to the regulation of stimulated hormone secretion in pancreatic islets. Lessons from spontaneous obesity-prone and non-obese type 2 diabetes in ratsSandra Meidute Abaraviciene
Department of Clinical Science, SUS, Division of Islet Cell Physiology, University of Lund, Sweden Department of Stem Cell Biology, State Research Institute Centre of Innovative Vilnius, Lithuania
Mol Cell Endocrinol 381:150-9. 2013..GPR40 protein is interactively modulated by both free fatty acids and glucose and is a promising target for pharmacotherapy in different variants of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Progression of diet-induced diabetes in C57BL6J mice involves functional dissociation of Ca2(+) channels from secretory vesiclesStephan C Collins
Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Oxford, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, UK
Diabetes 59:1192-201. 2010..The aim of the study was to elucidate the cellular mechanism underlying the suppression of glucose-induced insulin secretion in mice fed a high-fat diet (HFD) for 15 weeks...
- Activation of G protein-coupled receptor 30 modulates hormone secretion and counteracts cytokine-induced apoptosis in pancreatic islets of female miceAlexander Balhuizen
Department of Clinical Science, Islet Cell Physiology, University of Lund, Sweden
Mol Cell Endocrinol 320:16-24. 2010..G-1 or analogs thereof might be new potential candidates in the therapeutic strategy for type 2 diabetes in women...
- Enhancement of glucagon secretion in mouse and human pancreatic alpha cells by protein kinase C (PKC) involves intracellular trafficking of PKCalpha and PKCdeltaY Z De Marinis
Lund University Diabetes Centre, Department of Clinical Sciences, Clinical Research Centre, Lund University, CRC 91 11, UMAS Entrance 72, SE 20502 Malmo, Sweden
Diabetologia 53:717-29. 2010..Here we studied intracellular translocation of the PKC isoenzymes PKCalpha and PKCdelta, and investigated how activation of PKC influences glucagon secretion in mouse and human pancreatic alpha cells...
- Increased risk of acute myocardial infarction and elevated levels of C-reactive protein in carriers of the Thr-87 variant of the ATP receptor P2Y11Stefan Amisten
Department of Cardiology, Lund University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Eur Heart J 28:13-8. 2007..Extracellular ATP acting on the P2Y11 receptor regulates inflammatory cells. We hypothesized that polymorphisms in the receptor could influence the risk of acute myocardial infarction (AMI)...
- Gene expression profiling for the identification of G-protein coupled receptors in human plateletsStefan Amisten
Department of Cardiology, Lund University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Thromb Res 122:47-57. 2008..To identify new platelet GPCRs, a platelet gene expression profile was generated and validated using quantitative real-time PCR...
- The P2Y 13 Met-158-Thr polymorphism, which is in linkage disequilibrium with the P2Y 12 locus, is not associated with acute myocardial infarctionStefan Amisten
Department of Cardiology, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
PLoS ONE 3:e1462. 2008....
- Uridine diphosphate (UDP) stimulates insulin secretion by activation of P2Y6 receptorsFariborz Parandeh
Department of Clinical Science, CRC, Lund University Hospital, Malmo, S 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 370:499-503. 2008..Our results suggest a modulatory role for UDP via a functional active P2Y(6) receptor in the regulation of islet hormone release...
- Residual platelet ADP reactivity after clopidogrel treatment is dependent on activation of both the unblocked P2Y(1) and the P2Y (12) receptor and is correlated with protein expression of P2Y (12)Oscar O Braun
Department of Cardiology, Lund University Hospital, 221 85, Lund, Sweden
Purinergic Signal 3:195-201. 2007..To achieve additional ADP inhibition in platelets, antagonists directed at the P2Y(1) receptor could be more promising than the development of more potent P2Y(12) receptor antagonists...
- Expression profiling and electrophysiological studies suggest a major role for Orai1 in the store-operated Ca2+ influx pathway of platelets and megakaryocytesGwen Tolhurst
Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB23EG, UK
Platelets 19:308-13. 2008..Together with recent transgenic studies, these data provide evidence for STIM1:Orai1 as a primary pathway for agonist-evoked Ca2+ influx in the platelet and megakaryocyte...
- LPS induces GROalpha chemokine production via NF-kappaB in oral fibroblastsD Jonsson
Department of Experimental Medical Science, Faculty of Medicine, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Inflamm Res 58:791-6. 2009..The novel chemokine GROalpha, also named CXCL1, is a strong chemoattractant for neutrophils. Data on production and regulation of GROalpha by oral fibroblasts have not previously been presented...
- Somatostatin release, electrical activity, membrane currents and exocytosis in human pancreatic delta cellsM Braun
Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Churchill Hospital, Oxford OX37 LJ, UK
Diabetologia 52:1566-78. 2009..The aim of this study was to characterise electrical activity, ion channels, exocytosis and somatostatin release in human delta cells/pancreatic islets...
- Chronic palmitate exposure inhibits insulin secretion by dissociation of Ca(2+) channels from secretory granulesMichael B Hoppa
The Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Churchill Hospital, Oxford OX3 7LJ, UK
Cell Metab 10:455-65. 2009..In both mouse and human islets, the palmitate-induced secretion defect was reversed when the beta cell action potential was pharmacologically prolonged...
- The novel chemokine receptor, G-protein-coupled receptor 75, is expressed by islets and is coupled to stimulation of insulin secretion and improved glucose homeostasisBo Liu
Diabetes Research Group, Division of Diabetes and Nutritional Sciences, School of Medicine, 2 9N Hodgkin Building, King s College London, Guy s Campus, London, SE1 1UL, UK
Diabetologia 56:2467-76. 2013..GPR75 is coupled to Gq to elevate intracellular calcium, so we investigated whether islets express this receptor and whether its activation by CCL5 increases beta cell calcium levels and insulin secretion...