- Monitoring c-reactive protein after laparoscopic colorectal surgery excludes infectious complications and allows for safe and early discharge
Department of Surgery, Kantonsspital St Gallen, 9007, St Gallen, Switzerland
Surg Endosc 28:2939-48. 2014
..This work assessed the diagnostic accuracy of c-reactive protein (CRP) level in the detection of infectious complications after laparoscopic colorectal resection...
- Contemporary perioperative care strategies
Department of Surgery, Kantonsspital St Gallen, St Gallen, Switzerland Institute for Surgical Research and Hospital Management, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Br J Surg 100:38-54. 2013
..Historically, the preoperative and postoperative care of patients with gastrointestinal cancer was provided by surgeons. Contemporary perioperative care is a truly multidisciplinary endeavour with implications for cancer-specific outcomes...
- Laparoscopic complete mesocolic excision for right colon cancer
Division of Colorectal Surgery, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH, USA
Surg Endosc 26:2976-80. 2012
..Laparoscopic right complete mesocolic excision is a safe and effective procedure associated with excellent 3-year oncologic outcomes and accelerated postoperative recovery...
- Laparoscopic total mesorectal excision for low rectal cancer
Division of Colorectal Surgery, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH, USA
Surg Endosc 25:2738-41. 2011
..Nevertheless, laparoscopic proctectomy remains a challenging procedure. An embedded didactic video demonstrates a step-by-step laparoscopic total mesorectal excision with coloanal anastomosis for a low rectal cancer...
- Dose-toxicity models in oncology
Cantonal Hospital St Gallen, Department of Surgery, Rorschacherstrasse 95, 9007 St Gallen, Switzerland
Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 7:201-11. 2011
..Increasing evidence supports the adoption of innovative dose-toxicity models, as these are safer and more efficient in meeting the challenges of modern investigational oncology than traditional models used in Phase I clinical trials...
- When gene therapy meets adoptive cell therapy: better days ahead for cancer immunotherapy?
Klinik fur Chirurgie, Kantonsspital St Gallen, Rorschacherstrasse 95, 9007 St Gallen, Switzerland
Expert Rev Vaccines 9:359-63. 2010
..Taken together, these results mark a step towards standardized immunotherapy protocols open to all patients and that will be able to deliver consistent clinical results...
- Bayesian statistics in oncology: a guide for the clinical investigator
Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cancer 115:5371-81. 2009
..It is hoped that this educational review will be a useful resource to the oncologist and result in a better understanding of the scope, strengths, and limitations of the Bayesian approach...
- Heterologous prime-boost immunotherapy of melanoma patients with Influenza virosomes, and recombinant Vaccinia virus encoding 5 melanoma epitopes and 3 co-stimulatory molecules. A multi-centre phase I/II open labeled clinical trial
Institute for Surgical Research and Hospital Management, Department of Surgery, University of Basel, Hebelstrasse 20, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Contemp Clin Trials 29:165-81. 2008
..Disease free survival will be assessed by 4-monthly serial clinic visits, including physical and FDG-PET examinations, for a follow-up time of 2 years. Quality of life will be assessed with a dedicated FACT-BRM 4 questionnaire...
- Clinical applications of virosomes in cancer immunotherapy
University of Basel, Institute for Surgical Research and Hospital Management, ICFS ZLF 401, Hebelstrasse 20, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Expert Opin Biol Ther 6:1113-21. 2006
..The objective of this review is to provide an overview of the potential clinical applications of virosomes as innovative and potentially effective reagents in active specific cancer immunotherapy...
- Efficient induction of tumoricidal cytotoxic T lymphocytes by HLA-A0201 restricted, melanoma associated, L(27)Melan-A/MART-1(26-35) peptide encapsulated into virosomes in vitro
Institut für Chirurgische Forschung und Spitalmanagement, Zentrum fur Lehre und Forschung, University of Basel, 20 Hebelstrasse, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Vaccine 23:5572-82. 2005
..Taken together our results suggest that this highly immunogenic antigenic formulation might qualify for clinical use in active, antigen-specific, melanoma immunotherapy...
- Cancer/testis antigen expression and specific cytotoxic T lymphocyte responses in non small cell lung cancer
Institute for Surgical Research and Hospital Management, Department of Research, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Int J Cancer 120:337-43. 2007
..Supportive evidence was provided by corresponding multimer staining. Although CTA genes are frequently expressed in NSCLC, detection of CTL reactivity against CTA epitopes in TIL from nonimmunized NSCLC patients represents a rare event...
- Intranodal immunization with a vaccinia virus encoding multiple antigenic epitopes and costimulatory molecules in metastatic melanoma
Institute of Surgical Research and Hospital Management, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Mol Ther 18:651-9. 2010
..These data indicate that IN administration of rVV encoding melanoma-associated epitopes and costimulatory molecules is safe and immunogenic...
- Cytotoxic T-cell induction in metastatic melanoma patients undergoing recombinant vaccinia virus-based immuno-gene therapy
Giulio C Spagnoli
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Recent Results Cancer Res 160:195-201. 2002
- Active specific immunotherapy phase III trials for malignant melanoma: systematic analysis and critical appraisal
Department of Surgery, Kantonspital Olten, Switzerland
J Am Coll Surg 207:95-105. 2008
- Advanced liposomal vectors as cancer vaccines in melanoma immunotherapy
Institute for Surgical Research and Hospital Management, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
J Liposome Res 16:195-204. 2006
..We report here our experience in the tailoring of dedicated advanced liposomal vectors that were developed in the context of an upcoming immunotherapy clinical trial for melanoma...
- Active antigen-specific immunotherapy of melanoma: from basic science to clinical investigation
Giulio C Spagnoli
Institut für chirurgische Forschung und Spitalmanagement and Department of Surgery, University of Basel, c o ZLF, 20 Hebelstrasse, 4031, Basel, Switzerland
World J Surg 29:692-9. 2005
..We also propose a tentative AASIT agenda for the next few years, aiming at improving the capacity to induce and monitor TAA-specific immune responses and to verify their clinical effectiveness...
- Selective responsiveness to common gamma chain cytokines in peripheral blood-derived cytotoxic T lymphocytes induced by Melan-A/MART-1(27-35)targeted active specific immunotherapy
Urs von Holzen
Institut für Chirurgische Forschung und Spitalmanagement and Department Forschung, University of Basel, Switzerland
Int J Cancer 115:248-55. 2005
..Taken together these data suggest a selective responsiveness of TAA-specific CTL to different c gamma-c cytokines...
- Clinical applications of recombinant virus-based cancer immunotherapy
Institut für Chirurgische Forschung und Spitalmanagement, Universitatsspital Basel, Hebelstrasse 20, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Expert Opin Biol Ther 5:1211-24. 2005
- Influenza virosomes enhance class I restricted CTL induction through CD4+ T cell activation
Department of Surgery, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Vaccine 22:714-23. 2004
..Taken together these findings indicate that IRIV are endowed with a high adjuvant capacity for HLA class I restricted CTL induction, largely attributable to their ability to antigenically stimulate CD4+ T cells...
- Efficient stimulation of T cell responses by human IFN-alpha-induced dendritic cells does not require Toll-like receptor triggering
Institute for Surgical Research and Hospital Management, DBM, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
J Immunother 31:466-74. 2008
- Tissue microarray evaluation of Melanoma antigen E (MAGE) tumor-associated antigen expression: potential indications for specific immunotherapy and prognostic relevance in squamous cell lung carcinoma
Department of Surgery, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Ann Surg 236:785-93; discussion 793. 2002
..To evaluate MAGE tumor-associated antigen (TAA) expression in an extensive panel of normal and neoplastic tissues...
- Rapid induction of specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes against melanoma-associated antigens by a recombinant vaccinia virus vector expressing multiple immunodominant epitopes and costimulatory molecules in vivo
Division of General Surgery, Department of Surgery, University Hospital Basel, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Hum Gene Ther 13:569-75. 2002
..Clinical effectiveness of this immunologically active protocol should therefore be explored in appropriately selected groups of patients...
- Effect of local anesthetics on postoperative pain and opioid consumption in laparoscopic colorectal surgery
Jacquelenn Marie Stuhldreher
Division of Colorectal Surgery, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 5047, USA
Surg Endosc 26:1617-23. 2012
..This study evaluates the efficacy of subcutaneous and intraperitoneal anesthetic in reducing postoperative pain following common laparoscopic colorectal procedures, in patients managed with enhanced recovery care pathways...
- Non-inferiority trials in surgical oncology
Department of Surgery, Divisions of General Surgery and Surgical Research, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Ann Surg Oncol 14:1532-9. 2007
..The goal of this review is to discuss the principles, strengths, and challenges of non-inferiority trials and introduce this highly relevant topic to the surgical reader, using examples from the field of surgical oncology...
- Enhanced recovery pathways optimize health outcomes and resource utilization: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials in colorectal surgery
University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH 44106 5047, USA
Surgery 149:830-40. 2011
..Enhanced recovery pathways (ERP) have been proposed as a means to reduce morbidity and improve effectiveness of care. We have reviewed the evidence supporting the implementation of ERP in clinical practice...
- Intractable abdominal pain following laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding
Department of Surgery, Limmattalspital, Schlieren, Switzerland
Obes Surg 15:1341-3. 2005
..In retrospect, the contrast study of the gastric band shows unnatural traction of the tubing towards the lower abdomen, allowing suspicion of the intraoperative findings...
- Antigen specific active immunotherapy: lessons from the first decade
Institute of Surgical Research and Hospital Management, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 135:212-21. 2005
..Furthermore, we propose some research lines in basic and translational research aimed at improving our capacity to induce specific and clinically relevant immune responses against melanoma...
- Hydrolysis of the tumor-associated antigen epitope gp100(280-288) by membrane-associated and soluble enzymes expressed by immature and mature dendritic cells
Dipartimento di Neuroscienze, Universita degli Studi di Roma Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Clin Immunol 111:252-61. 2004
..Development of antigenic formulations capable of protecting synthetic epitopes from these effects appears to represent a prerequisite for effective immunization procedures...
- Permeability of phospholipid vesicles to the tumor antigen epitope gp100(280-288)
Dipartimento di Neuroscienze, Universita degli Studi di Roma Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier 1, 00133 Roma, Italy
ChemMedChem 1:816-20. 2006